Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 2974

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

He's advising Kurt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11655

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

PJ could coach
https://twitter.com/kobehighlight/status/1519390368873156608?s=20&t=R3454WBHi0UPekv4h3GLiw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 7602

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.


This is facts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 2408

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.


This is facts.


Completely spot on.

Jeanie continues to be the absolute worst.

Can’t wait until she’s no longer in charge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 10813
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.


Why? Seriously, why? I'm not saying that you should trust Rambis. But what has Phil Jackson done as an executive that makes you think that he has good judgment about hiring coaches? If you think that Vogel was a great choice, well, Rambis was supposedly the point man on the decision. I'm not sure that it's really a feather in his cap, given the mess with Lue. But why do you think that Phil Jackson has any expertise on these decisions, especially after what we saw with the Knicks?


His Knicks career was a blight, agreed, although there are some nuances to the coaching angle. But I think it's possible to grow from that. As to why I trust him, I just assumed he was behind Vogel. You state that was Rambis - to be frank (no pun intended), I haven't looked into it extensively, just noted the OP stated PJ had involvement. I also assume that in a battle of wills between PJ and Rambis, PJ probably wins, so I deferred to him having made the choice. I was very happy with the Vogel choice, as you can see. (And even with the Lue debacle . . . I mean, choosing Lue was also a great choice. if they lowballed him, it was probably because of Jeanie. Coming out of that with Vogel isn't bad IMO.)

FWIW, his first choice in NY was Steve Kerr, not Derek Fisher. Kerr declined, but I think that says more about the perpetual dysfunction of the Knicks and the state of the roster than it does PJ.

PJ also wanted to get rid of Porzingis. He saw the error of his ways pretty quickly there, but NYK wasn't having it and basically chose KP over PJ. I don't think that turned out well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 4707
Location: Out There

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3934

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton part 2 come on down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 24044

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to see a reenactment of this on Season 42 of Winning Time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 39903

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I don’t a have a issue with Phil consulting on the coaching hire he wanted the Lakers FO to get Ty Lue in 2019 when they were focusing on other candidates he knows more about the coaching situation then trying to have a voice on personnel decisions now that’s something that’s more worrisome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 4707
Location: Out There

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t a have a issue with Phil consulting on the coaching hire he wanted the Lakers FO to get Ty Lue in 2019 when they were focusing on other candidates he knows more about the coaching situation then trying to have a voice on personnel decisions now that’s something that’s more worrisome.


Phil's barometer for a good coaching hire is whether or not Phil coached them as a player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3992

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Is Slava or Devean George available?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1819

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.


Interesting. Mitch wasnt perfect but he was a good GM, and i coukdnt care less abiut Jim. But i will give him that, we didnt look like a circus with them in charge. And i dont mean the stuff on the court of even the trades and FAs, i just mean all the noise around the franchise and seemingly anyone having a say in what we do
_________________
17 99 19 22 44 13 25 52 33
32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3 Mic.

48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 10813
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.


Interesting. Mitch wasnt perfect but he was a good GM, and i coukdnt care less abiut Jim. But i will give him that, we didnt look like a circus with them in charge. And i dont mean the stuff on the court of even the trades and FAs, i just mean all the noise around the franchise and seemingly anyone having a say in what we do


You say this, but Jeanie and her mouthpiece, Ding, sure tried their hardest to paint LA as a clownshow. And signings like Mozgov and Deng sure didn't help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Posts: 2706
Location: Space City

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

If my presumption is right that Phil is volunteering his services, i commend Jeanie again to getting free advice from legends who can help themselves stay away from the Laker franchise.
_________________
KYRIE IN 23
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2003
Posts: 2706
Location: Space City

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
beat me to it!

so... should we give Fish a second shot at the NBA (at least interview him)? or you'd all rather have quinn, marc jackson, etc?

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.


He took the Sparks to the semi finals his first year.


Ham>Fish
_________________
KYRIE IN 23
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kwase
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 2992

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.



Not hiring Phil and hiring DumbToni instead might have cost us a championship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 8060

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.



Not hiring Phil and hiring DumbToni instead might have cost us a championship.


Again, take off your purple gold glasses. Kobe and Pau gasol were no where near their prime in 2014, and other star free agents have spun us during those few years because they didn’t care about laker glamour and played in Kobe’s shadow remember. Also back in 2014 LeBron was in his prime, there’s no way laker even made it to the conference finals with Phil Jackson as the head coach back in 2014.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 10393

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject:

My only worry about the Lakers next season is them actually being good.

Because if they are, it will be because of AD and LeBron being healthy and putting together a great season, and that will only empower this circus of a front office to stay in power for longer.

Once the superstars are gone, the Lakers will be absolutely screwed spearheading a rebuild with Phil and Kurt Rambis leading the front office charge.

This announcement tells me that things are never going to change in the near future - and if they do, then it's going to have to get REAL bad.
_________________
Kyle Kuzma
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27347

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Not hiring Phil and hiring DumbToni instead might have cost us a championship.


It frightens me that you might actually be serious.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2006
Posts: 8336
Location: Left coast

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch

That’s the last thing I care about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 27374

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

please not another tri-heavy coach..
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 14511

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

triangle is pretty outdated for today’s league to be honest. Only Jokic and probably Embiid can even be the focal point, I am not sure Phil advising is a good thing, he wasn’t exactly Popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Posts: 27374

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
triangle is pretty outdated for today’s league to be honest. Only Jokic and probably Embiid can even be the focal point, I am not sure Phil advising is a good thing, he wasn’t exactly Popular


IMO it's been outdated since the mid-2000... I was salivating at the thought of Kobe in his prime playing the MDA style offense...
_________________
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 7602

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I guess we will see what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 7602

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.


Phil wanted stake of ownership in the team back in 2004, and Jerry Buss didn't give it to him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB