Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 27412

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch

That’s the last thing I care about.


Someone needs to drive a wedge between Jeanie and the Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 22589

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.


He took the Sparks to the semi finals his first year.


And then because of his terrible coaching decisions, caused Candace Parker to leave the Sparks, and win a Championship the very next year on the next team she went to whom featured her more prominently than Fisher.

Not a good look for Fisher's coaching ability. We won't even start with how the Sparks looked this year and Fisher never acknowledging the problem in his 'offense'.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 22589

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.


No, he wasn't. Jerry was still very much there, and Jim even said that it was Jerry's call as well to pick D'Antoni over Phil because of the direction he felt the league was headed.

Again, people at the time were all over that, cursing about Jim saying his dad wouldn't think such a 'dumb' thing. Even calling Jim a 'coward' for saying his dad came up with it. Because everyone was still drinking the Phil kool-aid.

But then you look exactly where the league headed and see that Jerry was absolutely right. Jerry had one last bit of genius to see where the league was headed and wanted the Lakers to get a head start on it.

Problem though? They got rid of D'Antoni and hired Scott to bring back the 'old school'... right as the Warriors started owning the league. THAT was the true blunder.

Also was due to that decision that Jeanie suddenly couldn't NOT go to the media in some way/shape/form talking bad about the Front Office or throwing shade at Jim or Mitch. All cause Jim and her dad refused to bring her man in to coach or give him FO power.

Well she already destroyed one promise her father made by taking away Jerry West and his wife's Lifetime Season Tickets. So what was stopping her from doing another, by giving Phil FO power.

Everything Jerry didn't want done, Jeanie is now doing. Which effects THE BASKETBALL DECISIONS... Decisions she should have NOTHING to do with.

But you still got people acting like she isn't the problem in the FO.

If Jim and Mitch are still here, Kurt and Linda aren't empowered, and Phil has no say. The only reason those things are happening now is because Jeanie wants it to.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Palin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 1485

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Lol gotta post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjgFGv29wL4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 11486

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

FWIW, his first choice in NY was Steve Kerr, not Derek Fisher. Kerr declined, but I think that says more about the perpetual dysfunction of the Knicks and the state of the roster than it does PJ.


But you're just speculating here. I could just as easily say Kerr knew how manipulative and back stabbing Phil can be and did not want to subject to that everyday on the job.

I could likewise speculate that Phil didn't want Kerr because of his coaching prowess, but because of his familiarity with Kerr as a player and thinking that he could control Kerr.

Note, we can both be correct here--these aren't mutually exclusive hypotheses. But I don't think you'd find anyone in the NBA who has dealt with Phil for years who doesn't find him manipulative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 56592

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject:

^
Kerr was offered 3 years and less money from Dolan.

Quote:
Kerr wound up agreeing to terms with Golden State on a five-year, $22 million contract — not the $25 million that was widely reported. Had the Knicks originally offered Kerr five years, $22 million — $4.4 million a year — he probably would have closed the deal before Golden State could reenter the fray
.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-knicks-lost-out-on-steve-kerr-because-of-3-year-13-million-offer/#:~:text=Kerr%20wound%20up%20agreeing%20to,State%20could%20reenter%20the%20fray.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 56592

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject:

Dolan doing similar to what our FO did with coaches. We really lucked out with Vogel/Kidd combo. It led to a title, one guy had the respect and PG court vision (Kidd) for Lebron and the head coach installed the new defensive culture and schemes that took off with AD coming into town.

We better not expect anything close to as good as Vogel/Kidd if we act cheap here.

Personally I don't care who advises Jeanie. Jeanie needs to pony up the $$$. But I have a hard time seeing this, and that is why I think we went with Ham first. He won't command massive $$$ as a first time coach, but we better hope that no one else offers him more $$$.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27008

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
No, he wasn't. Jerry was still very much there, and Jim even said that it was Jerry's call as well to pick D'Antoni over Phil because of the direction he felt the league was headed.

Again, people at the time were all over that, cursing about Jim saying his dad wouldn't think such a 'dumb' thing. Even calling Jim a 'coward' for saying his dad came up with it. Because everyone was still drinking the Phil kool-aid.


It's remarkable how much Kool-Aid some people drank on that one. It's unlikely that PJ was physically capable of coaching the team. For that matter, without Tex Winter, PJ was going to be limited as a coach. But Jeanie felt betrayed when Jim and Mitch didn't offer the job to PJ. That tells you all that you need to know about Jeanie, who is now in charge of the team.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 56592

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

Kind of crazy it's been 10 years since that I can not believe they chose MDA over Phil stuff. Wow, time flies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 7990

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject:

this is like a car manufacturing saying we're bring in back CD player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 10552
Location: Hoosier Nation

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

Grab a bucket of popcorn, sit back, and watch the show.
_________________
Not a legend
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 20612
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

We are stuck in 1995 it seems
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27008

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject:

The second part of the Arnovitz interview with the Kamenetzky brothers had a few tidbits of interest:

1. Arnovitz called the Lakers job "a source of humiliation and aggravation." This may be a perception shared around the league.

2. He said that the Lakers view the head coach as a disposable intermediary between the two power centers on the team: the front office and Lebron/Davis. The head coach needs approval from the front office to do anything. When this was presented to Lue, he took a pass on it. I'm not sure how literal he was being.

3. Darvin Ham checks all the boxes for a head coach. The interview occurred before the Lakers were linked to Ham.

4. The other assistant in Milwaukee (the name escapes me) is the heir apparent to Popovich.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Posts: 4698
Location: Out There

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Username wrote:
MJST wrote:
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.



I don't like the move, but Dr. Buss was gone by the time Jim made the decision not to bring back Phil in 2014.


No, he wasn't. Jerry was still very much there, and Jim even said that it was Jerry's call as well to pick D'Antoni over Phil because of the direction he felt the league was headed.

Again, people at the time were all over that, cursing about Jim saying his dad wouldn't think such a 'dumb' thing. Even calling Jim a 'coward' for saying his dad came up with it. Because everyone was still drinking the Phil kool-aid.

But then you look exactly where the league headed and see that Jerry was absolutely right. Jerry had one last bit of genius to see where the league was headed and wanted the Lakers to get a head start on it.

Problem though? They got rid of D'Antoni and hired Scott to bring back the 'old school'... right as the Warriors started owning the league. THAT was the true blunder.

Also was due to that decision that Jeanie suddenly couldn't NOT go to the media in some way/shape/form talking bad about the Front Office or throwing shade at Jim or Mitch. All cause Jim and her dad refused to bring her man in to coach or give him FO power.

Well she already destroyed one promise her father made by taking away Jerry West and his wife's Lifetime Season Tickets. So what was stopping her from doing another, by giving Phil FO power.

Everything Jerry didn't want done, Jeanie is now doing. Which effects THE BASKETBALL DECISIONS... Decisions she should have NOTHING to do with.

But you still got people acting like she isn't the problem in the FO.

If Jim and Mitch are still here, Kurt and Linda aren't empowered, and Phil has no say. The only reason those things are happening now is because Jeanie wants it to.


OK, I thought you were referring to 2014 when Phil took the front office job with the Knicks.

You’re arguing two different things here. On one hand, you’re saying they didn’t hire Phil because he wanted a front office role. On the other hand, you’re saying Dr. Buss was looking into the future and saw where the league was headed and that’s why he preferred D’Antoni. Which is it?

I don’t recall the breaking point of those talks ever being about a front office role. I do recall Mike Bresnahan reporting Phil was “asking for the moon” but that could just be money, who knows.

Look, I don’t like Phil being back in any capacity, but did Dr. Buss have it written somewhere that Phil was never to set foot in the Lakers front office again? I don't understand how this is "destroying a promise" made to him?

“If Jim and Mitch were still here…” didn’t they bring back Rambis in 2013? Placing him onto the staff of a head coach who was a polar opposite philosophically? Didn't this happen after Rambis spent the previous season as an ESPN talking head criticizing D'Antoni left and right? But sure, right, Jim and Mitch would have definitely had no room for him here.

Kurt has been a mainstay in Los Angeles under the Buss family for decades. Pretending to know what his role would or wouldn’t be under a different Buss family regime is pure conjecture, but safe to say based on history he would have some role in the organization. The Buss family cannot quit the Rambii.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 7990

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The second part of the Arnovitz interview with the Kamenetzky brothers had a few tidbits of interest:

1. Arnovitz called the Lakers job "a source of humiliation and aggravation." This may be a perception shared around the league.

2. He said that the Lakers view the head coach as a disposable intermediary between the two power centers on the team: the front office and Lebron/Davis. The head coach needs approval from the front office to do anything. When this was presented to Lue, he took a pass on it. I'm not sure how literal he was being.

3. Darvin Ham checks all the boxes for a head coach. The interview occurred before the Lakers were linked to Ham.

4. The other assistant in Milwaukee (the name escapes me) is the heir apparent to Popovich.


no. 2 is so sad yet is very true from all signs. you have clown kurt rambis whose own coaching history was a disaster barking orders in front media to the coaching staff. this is not healthy, who would want to coach at this place besides the under qualified ex-lakers who just want to be in it for the $$$.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 33656
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The second part of the Arnovitz interview with the Kamenetzky brothers had a few tidbits of interest:

1. Arnovitz called the Lakers job "a source of humiliation and aggravation." This may be a perception shared around the league.

2. He said that the Lakers view the head coach as a disposable intermediary between the two power centers on the team: the front office and Lebron/Davis. The head coach needs approval from the front office to do anything. When this was presented to Lue, he took a pass on it. I'm not sure how literal he was being.

3. Darvin Ham checks all the boxes for a head coach. The interview occurred before the Lakers were linked to Ham.

4. The other assistant in Milwaukee (the name escapes me) is the heir apparent to Popovich.


Vin Baker?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36324

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

What does Lebron think of this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
XTC
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 6075

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Kind of crazy it's been 10 years since that I can not believe they chose MDA over Phil stuff. Wow, time flies.


I still can’t believe it either, they even reportedly told him that the head coaching position was "his to lose" after they fired Mike Brown.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11309

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
What does Lebron think of this?

hes discussing with his posse.

PJ wanted Kerr, vogel in NY. he has an understanding of coaches.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 2598

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

If Jeanie is using Phil to drive out LBJ... maybe she has more game than I thought.

*grabs popcorn*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 3840

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject:

The fact that Jerry West has not been involved with the Lakers since, what, 20 years ago?, tells one everything they need to know about why the franchise is in such disarray.

LeBron and AD saved the day for one season and won a title, which was great, but since then it seems their oncourt appearances have been dwindling at an alarming rate.

The ship has sailed and Capt. Jeanie is lost at sea. Everybody into the lifeboats!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11309

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/TermineRadio/status/1521686809578655744?s=20&t=AC9piAZMeihs5TXGNl4FxA


probably best that bron doesnt have say in coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 1049

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

So when having a good head coach is more important than ever, the Lakers decide that the coach needs to run everything through them? At this point i'm just curious to see how deep this hole goes. Can anyone tell me Phil Jackson's basketball accomplishments in the past few year? Remember he wasn't known for his X&O's(that was Tex) he was the genius of team chemistry and player psychology. So how exactly is he supposed to help find the next X&O guy? This just gets more hilarious by the day. For all the flak Jerry West gets at least we know where his basketball mind is at. Has Jackson even made a public comment about basketball in years?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27008

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
On the other hand, you’re saying Dr. Buss was looking into the future and saw where the league was headed and that’s why he preferred D’Antoni. Which is it?


It was a little different. Link
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27008

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
4. The other assistant in Milwaukee (the name escapes me) is the heir apparent to Popovich.


Vin Baker?


I had the team wrong. It was Will Hardy, who is now with the Celtics.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB