Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Jeanie Buss interview

Some things I liked reading...too many things I did not (re: Rambis and Rob). And yes, she's a daddy's girl. I think that HBO series is spot on about her.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-jeanie-buss-says-she-110046500.html
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

A ton of great stuff. i’ll tackle the first quote.

“I’m growing impatient just because we had the fourth-highest payroll in the league. … When you spend that kind of money on the luxury tax, you expect to go deep into the playoffs,” she told The Times. “So, yeah, it was gut-wrenching for me to go out on a limb like that and not get the results that we were looking for. … I’m not happy, I’m not satisfied.”

Cheapie is looking at the value in the money spent. It’s been said she wants to spend her money smartly. i have no delusional dreams that the Lakers are going to spend a lot in taxes. To me that this company constraint number one. Even if she is making money on TV deals. No chance in my mind she gets into a repeater tax situation.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject:

Yikes. We are in big trouble.

She’s upset because of the money she spent and thinks she should have a team that makes deep playoff runs. Hello Manchester United! Hello Hal Steinbrenner Yankees.

Seems like she gets very defensive about Rambii criticism.

Man we are in trouble. Getting dangerously close to Knicks west if not already there.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

That's an interesting bit of writing. Plaschke wrote it with the veneer of a puff piece ("staking her claim as the fearless controlling owner of the city’s most celebrated sports franchise"), but a lot of it really doesn't make her look good. She is unapologetic for the way she is doing things. In fact, she doubles down on some of the stuff that draws the most criticism. But Plaschke got his interview.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's an interesting bit of writing. Plaschke wrote it with the veneer of a puff piece ("staking her claim as the fearless controlling owner of the city’s most celebrated sports franchise"), but a lot of it really doesn't make her look good. She is unapologetic for the way she is doing things. In fact, she doubles down on some of the stuff that draws the most criticism. But Plaschke got his interview.

Yeah. I don't feel better about the Lakers if she has so much confidence in Rambis/Pelinka, and is still dipping in the Magic/Phil pool of knowledge for a game that has passed these all time greats by.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

I think there’s at least some hope in there that change is on the way when we inevitably have the season we are about to have.

The problem with Jeanie is her process, which she still doesn’t seem to recognize is severely flawed. As long as she values people’s unrelated accomplishments from decades ago she’s going to keep hiring and trusting the wrong people. If Rob and, heaven forbid, Kurt got canned do we think anyone appreciably better would be hired? She’d look to Phil and Magic for guidance. Unless the process improves we are likely to keep having the same problems unless a deux ex lebronica falls in our lap.

Still, if some of the clown car gets emptied it’s a good thing. I would prefer it be for different reasons but if it’s the price tag and luxury tax that gets the job done I’ll take it.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

By just focusing on results and not the process of getting there, Jeanie is making it more likely that Rob does something risky and dumb to try and save his job.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think there’s at least some hope in there that change is on the way when we inevitably have the season we are about to have.

The problem with Jeanie is her process, which she still doesn’t seem to recognize is severely flawed. As long as she values people’s unrelated accomplishments from decades ago she’s going to keep hiring and trusting the wrong people. If Rob and, heaven forbid, Kurt got canned do we think anyone appreciably better would be hired? She’d look to Phil and Magic for guidance. Unless the process improves we are likely to keep having the same problems unless a deux ex lebronica falls in our lap.

Still, if some of the clown car gets emptied it’s a good thing. I would prefer it be for different reasons but if it’s the price tag and luxury tax that gets the job done I’ll take it.

Right. It's hard to envision Jeanie hiring a forward-looking GM or team president. I expect that we will learn a lot from the coaching hire. If it is someone like Jackson, that's a bad sign.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“In terms of basketball decisions, I have complete confidence in our front office, which is headed by Rob Pelinka,” she said. “He is a person that is extremely smart, extremely strategic, everything he does is thoughtful and with purpose. … I have complete confidence that he can put together a roster and find a coach that is going to get us back to where we belong.”

Maybe she doesn't want to bash Rob in public, but this statement is almost delusional. If she really believes it, she really hasn't learned much about running a NBA team after all this time.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

I'm rooting for her but I can't pretend that I like what I just read.

She's doubling down on everything everyone is criticizing her for (relying on friends and not professionals)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject:

Can Sam Presti slide in Jeanie's DMs?
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject:

I like it. Either the current brain trust of Pelinka/Kurt gets it together or they are gone. Works for me.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

I didn't know that the goal is doing whatever it takes to make LeBron James happy

How naive i was thinking that LBJ goal should be making Lakers happy and not the other way round
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

She's doubling down on everything everyone is criticizing her for (relying on friends and not professionals)

Cuz that’s all she knows. And she’s too thin skinned to hire someone who will make her look even dumber.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

I cant take a person seriously who thinks Rob Pelinka is kobe's extension

Clown Show continues
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Quote:
“In terms of basketball decisions, I have complete confidence in our front office, which is headed by Rob Pelinka,” she said. “He is a person that is extremely smart, extremely strategic, everything he does is thoughtful and with purpose. … I have complete confidence that he can put together a roster and find a coach that is going to get us back to where we belong.”

Maybe she doesn't want to bash Rob in public, but this statement is almost delusional. If she really believes it, she really hasn't learned much about running a NBA team after all this time.

The reality is if she’s going to speak publicly she either has to express confidence in them or fire them. The not-so-subtle implication of her comments are that they have one more season to turn things around. We’ll see if she sticks to it.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
danzag wrote:

Cuz that’s all she knows. And she’s too thin skinned to hire someone who will make her look even dumber.

She doesn’t hire anyone cause she thinks they will conspire with one her brothers and throw her out
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
Quote:

It's worst that delusional; it's frightening.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Reading this just makes me feel she should sell the team, not give me confidence. She really said Kurt Rambis won as a role player (to Magic and Kareem that never played a season more than 23 minutes) and won as an assistant (to Phil Jackson). Though, alone he has won 28% as a head coach. This tells me that he may be good, if he isn't making the decisions. As an executive, I don't really have a problem with it, but if you put him in a leadership position, that is when it becomes a problem because it doesn't seem like he is a leader.

She leans on Magic and Phil Jackson, I don't need to say anymore about that. Basketball knowledge seems great, when you don't have any, that goes with her talking about Kurt Rambis as well. Not saying they don't have great basketball minds, I'm saying Jeanie doesn't, so she has no idea what they may be talking about, but it seems great. Also, great basketball mind, as a player or a coach, doesn't always equate to great executives. In Kurt Rambis case, it didn't equate to being a great head coach, but it may equate to being a great executive, though I don't know if he is a leader. He may need to be an executive where the owner is the leader and they instill trust in him and it is a collab effort. If Jeanie is getting advice from Phil and Magic, those are the leaders. Rob is like "I thought I got rid of Magic."

While she has the final say, Klutch does have a lot of input, and she feels that is necessary. She has shown she has no vision in this interview. She wants to win, but it seems she doesn't know how to get there and leaning on others to. She said her father was kinda of in the wings, but her father used to go back and forth with Jerry West about certain decisions, and if he convinced Jerry Buss, then they would do it, even made decisions despite Jerry West. Jerry Buss put competent individuals in positions within the franchise he knew were gonna get the job done, not solely "they are my friends, I trust them." Jerry Buss couldn't careless about friendship, he cares about getting the job done.

She confirmed that she walked early because she couldn't bare the site of the losses. Some tried to say it was routine when I made that post; yea, probably last season, but not in general. Anyways, this doesn't instill trust in me. This makes me feel she needs to sell the team. Though, she said she isn't, but it isn't her decision, that comes to a vote.

As a supporter of the Lakers, I'm hoping for success for Jeanie Buss and the franchise. I just don't really like what I read, but I'm optimistic. Let's see what happens.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue May 10, 2022 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

Pelinka should resign today. He's going to be the fall guy once again for someone else's decisions, this time the Phil/Magic/Rambii triumvirate.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Pelinka should resign today. He's going to be the fall guy once again for someone else's decisions, this time the Phil/Magic/Rambii triumvirate.

he is the reason we are where we are
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:

Imagine actually believing this.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The reality is if she’s going to speak publicly she either has to express confidence in them or fire them. The not-so-subtle implication of her comments are that they have one more season to turn things around. We’ll see if she sticks to it.

The first part is absolutely true. She did the exact opposite with Jim and Mitch, but that's water under the bridge. These are her people, and she isn't going to criticize them unless and until she decides to make a change.

As for the second part, I don't see anything in her comments that make that implication. Instead, the implication is supplied by Plaschke. I'm not sure whether that is just his impression or whether this is a clever bit of off-the-record communication by Jeanie.

Quote:
In talking to her, there is a sense that while she will let her basketball executives work the summer and next season untouched, she won’t endure another playoff miss without making major changes.

dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Username wrote:

Imagine actually believing this.

He might not be the main reason but he definitely played a part in why we are here today.

You don't get called a snake if you have some innocence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: