Was passing on Jayson Tatum the biggest draft blunder in the history of the franchise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was passing on Tatum the biggest draft blunder in the history of the Lakers?
yes
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
no
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 32

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
BTW, I'm using the context of the #1s we've had on the Lakers, so I guess that's not really fair for him. But who cares. He's a Celtic. He can kick rocks.

That's an important distinction. The question isn't whether a player meets some amorphous "#1" standard. The real question is whether a team can win a title with a particular player as its best player. Tatum meets that standard. The Warriors are just a better team. In fact, I had picked the Warriors in 5. The Celtics might take it to 7.

It's in the nature of playoffs for people to make moral judgments about guys based on a single game or a single series. It's understandable in a way, but it's often more of a narrative than a reality.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

The question is who was the better choice, Ball or Tatum. Naturally Magic Johnson made the wrong decision.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

I like Tatum, but it's a total exaggeration to say he was the biggest draft blunder in the history of the franchise. To a lesser extent, the same thing applies to players like Booker and Towns. Would having them expedite the contention process? Perhaps, but keep in mind that Booker only thrived after CP3 joined, and Tatum was always surrounded with great talent, which is fine because talent wins you championships. This also means that the pieces you surround those guys with determine championship contention. It's not the same as having a Giannis or Luka, because we've seen them almost singlehandedly carry teams. They are just transcendent talents, and the real miss was not having a lottery pick with those guys on the board.

From an aesthetics standpoint, Tatum's game is fluid and smooth, and his jumper is mechanically sound. If I didn't hate Boston, he'd be way more enjoyable to watch, because there are elements of Kobe in his game. However, his tendency of forcing up low percentage shots and going ISO isn't going to win championships. The only way to beat the Warriors is by moving the ball. I do think he has it in him to get the Celtics back on track and take the series. He's that good of a player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

I'd happily take Tatum for LBJ or AD.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Jayson Tatum takes out Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jimmy Butler, only to fall to Andrew Wiggins.

As much as the NBA wants people to believe, it's not a one on one game. But that is a humorous narrative.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I'd happily take Tatum for LBJ or AD.

Same. NBA game for the foreseeable future is all about hoarding wings.

LBJ is almost done.
AD thinks he is a wing, but he’s not durable like Tatum.

Boston is not stupid though It’s why they refused to trade Tatum to the Pels.

Even GS with Curry and the shooting…they aren’t beating the Celtics without Wiggins and GPII. They also have Iggy and Porter as support players.

Wings!!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject:

This thread is dying as people finally realize what I said all along....that Tatum is soft and he is not it.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The question is who was the better choice, Ball or Tatum. Naturally Magic Johnson made the wrong decision.

and yet you couldnt see what i said the entire time: That Tatum did not have what it takes to lead a team to a title this year. Whether he can or will is still to be decided.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
You guys are complaining that we didn’t get this choker?

27-10-4 on 10/20FG 4/9 3 PT

pure hate

And he can’t even hit his free throws in the 4th quarter. What did he do in the 4th again? Proves my point. Talented player that didn’t get it done when it matters most.

Let’s not call him the next Kobe Bryant yet. A great player? Of course. A guy that will win multiple titles? Let’s wait a little bit first.

So you take Lonzo Ball over him?

Not sure what your point is. I didn’t say he was a bum. If we’re doing drafts years later our team could have found a way to draft Nikola Jokić.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

and yet you couldnt see what i said the entire time: That Tatum did not have what it takes to lead a team to a title this year. Whether he can or will is still to be decided.

What team did Ball lead to the finals?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Not going to pounce on the kid for having a bad series. It's possible he was hurt, but he'll grow and learn from it. The Celtics weren't even supposed to be in the finals. They overachieved, and Tatum was a big reason why.

However, I'll continue to hold the view that missing out on Tatum isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's the pattern of throwing away and discarding young talent that's the bigger problem. You keep Kuz-Hart-Caruso-Nance and you have legitimate pieces around AD and Bron.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Would still take Tatum over any player currently on this roster without even thinking twice.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

What team did Ball lead to the finals?

If Tatum was drafted by the Lakers, both he and Ingram would have been shipped to the Pelicans for AD.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Would happily take him on the Lakers for anyone we have right now.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Tatum isn't better than LeBron right now. But, he's obviously more desirable because of age.

He was still the best player on a team that went to the finals and they've been consistently in the playoffs since he's been on the team, including the conference finals in his rookie season.

His ability and resume is far and away ahead of any of the Lakers' young core.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Interesting to see how much Tatum improves next year.
I still wouldn't take him over Lebron and AD for next year.
But the year after? Leaning towards it.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
You guys are complaining that we didn’t get this choker?

27-10-4 on 10/20FG 4/9 3 PT

pure hate

The kid just isnt ready to be that #1 of a title team. Put him with Lebron though, I have no doubt he would thrive and would not be struggling the way he is now.....similar to how Wiggins thrives in his role in GSW, having that veteran facilitating leader for Tatum would be ideal for him. He put up most of those numbers when GSW was stagnant and momentum was on the Celtics side following a couple lackadaisical Warrior plays when the game was getting away from them in the third quarter. The moment that the game started to get away from the Celtics, Tatum disappeared again.

I believe Tatum is overrated.
But he's a great #2 imo, which is a great thing to be.
Hopefully Boston never gets a #1.

BTW, I'm using the context of the #1s we've had on the Lakers, so I guess that's not really fair for him. But who cares. He's a Celtic. He can kick rocks.

What do you think KOC?

Quote:
Kevin O'Connor
@KevinOConnorNBA

Let's just be honest, Jayson Tatum looked more like a #2 than a #1 all series against the Warriors.

Tatum is 24 so there's plenty of time to grow into his prime, and he took steps forward this postseason for the Celtics. But he's not that guy just yet.

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject:

We were screwed either way, Tatum is the worse kind of player, a guy you have to supermax like a #1 but is way closer to #2. He’s a good player, but he didnt have a bad series, he was shook and disintegrated. He’s not that dude.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
We were screwed either way, Tatum is the worse kind of player, a guy you have to supermax like a #1 but is way closer to #2.

So Paul George.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject:

He's not there yet.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
This thread is dying as people finally realize what I said all along....that Tatum is soft and he is not it.

The thread didn't die, and most people would take Tatum in a heartbeat. The Warriors were the better team. I picked them in five. The Celtics took it to 6. Tatum didn't have a good Finals. There are always people who want to make sweeping judgments over things like this. By the same reasoning, they would have written off Kobe based on '04. In fact, an awful lot of people did write off Kobe based on '04. Tatum is no Kobe, but the point is that playoff series are better at generating narratives than genuine analysis. There were narratives about Lebron and Curry at various points in time.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

Tatum is a very good player, I put him a tier above Ingram, and slightly below Giannis/healthy Kawhi. He is not that level yet, but he has the clay for it. He may need a few losses to get it. Or maybe he will stay at this level throughout. Either way, he was a fantastic pick.

And we would have sent him packing for AD, only because Tatum's value was alwasy much more than any other pick we had, a deal with Tatum as the main piece would have cost us a lot less assets. So the deal could have end up being much more favorable to the Lakers in that they may have been able to keep the lottery pick that drafted Garland and 1 more pick OR keep Ingram. That's my .02, because I recall the Tatum hype well before the AD trade and Ingram only became hyped after the trade.

That's what hurt us more than anything, by signing Lebron with young core around him the young core never got to show what they really could do. Hence value is lower. Tatum would have fetched more than Ingram, which is why I would have preffered we draft him instead of Ball. We could have end up keeping Ingram. Magic (bleep) Johnson the GM/Prez.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject:

Problem was BI/Zo were always hurt. That one season with LBJ they were constantly injured. That lowered their perceived trade value. Tatum was healthier and better than those two at the time. Perhaps Lakers would have reconsidered waiting for AD if Tatum was on board.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow323 wrote:
We were screwed either way, Tatum is the worse kind of player, a guy you have to supermax like a #1 but is way closer to #2. He’s a good player, but he didnt have a bad series, he was shook and disintegrated. He’s not that dude.

Tatum didn’t have that gear in the finals against a true champion. That doesn’t mean he won’t get it. Some guys need that loss to hone the last bit to get there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
2019 wrote:
Tatum would've been traded for AD
this

And allow LAL to keep Hart and Kuzma.

And then only one of them would be kept because of luxury tax reasons.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: