Was passing on Jayson Tatum the biggest draft blunder in the history of the franchise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was passing on Tatum the biggest draft blunder in the history of the Lakers?
yes
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
no
56%
 56%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 32

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You can say this about any draft.

How many teams passed on Jokic?

How many overlooked Giannis?

Lakers could have either drafted (Jokic) or traded up for Giannis (non-lottery, 15th pick) too.

Not every team failed to work out a top prospect when they had the #2 pick, but the Lakers did. Not every team, when their obviously favorite prospect blew a workout for the scouting department, then had the two decision makers go to that player’s house for a private workout. Amazing that he didn’t look good in front of the scouts but was great for just Magic and Pelinka. Of course teams do miss out on young players but to do so because you have no idea how a FO works is worth being critical. And the same people are still making decisions here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
You can say this about any draft.

How many teams passed on Jokic?

How many overlooked Giannis?

Lakers could have either drafted (Jokic) or traded up for Giannis (non-lottery, 15th pick) too.

Not every team failed to work out a top prospect when they had the #2 pick, but the Lakers did. Not every team, when their obviously favorite prospect blew a workout for the scouting department, then had the two decision makers go to that player’s house for a private workout. Amazing that he didn’t look good in front of the scouts but was great for just Magic and Pelinka. Of course teams do miss out on young players but to do so because you have no idea how a FO works is worth being critical. And the same people are still making decisions here.

We have a top notch scouting group. But this one was clearly taken out of their hands. It was going to be Lonzo or bust, and that was Jeanie's preferred one, right? I thought Magic wanted Fox, and then he was there for that ridiculous 2nd workout and changed his mind?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

Yes, the disappointment wasn’t missing out on Tatum, the disappointment is with the amateur hour way in which we did.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject:

What tier is Tatum?

Lebron level?

KD level?

Giannis level?

PG level?

BI level?

Jeremi Grant level?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
What tier is Tatum?

Lebron level?

KD level?

Giannis level?

PG level?

BI level?

Jeremi Grant level?

At their peaks? Tatum isn't on LBJ/KD/Giannis.

Maybe right now, PG13, which is a heck of a player. Tatum still has room to grow too.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

From what I have read, Tatum would not workout with any other team than Boston.

Do, its not really a draft blunder for the Lakers. When a player's agent is not taking workouts for other teams, there is nothing you can do.

If the Lakers did have the opportunity to draft Tatum, well, duh, it would be the biggest draft blunder in Lakers history by far.

But, like I said, I don't think they had a chance.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

It was the worst thing for the New Orleans Pelicans.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
What tier is Tatum?

Lebron level?

KD level?

Giannis level?

PG level?

BI level?

Jeremi Grant level?

Maybe right now, PG13, which is a heck of a player. Tatum still has room to grow too.

That's near where I have him.
Just wanted to make sure we weren't missing out on a generational talent.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Tatum mimics his game after Kobe. It's crazy how he was able to do a lot of the things that Kobe did. If Tatum became a player anywhere near Kobe's level, then Laker fans, not sure if Jeanie cares, but Laker fans will be in for a great depression. Kobe won 5 rings. Let's hope Tatum doesn't get anywhere near that.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
What tier is Tatum?

Lebron level?

KD level?

Giannis level?

PG level?

BI level?

Jeremi Grant level?

He is still a little bit inefficient, so PG13 sounds about right. The key for Boston winning was their defense(with exception of game 6).
He is probably higher than BI now.
If we do a rank of the players that are still playing now. It would be
Luka
Steph
Tatum/butler
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
All I want is to see Tatum in a Lakers jersey.

Wait a few more years. It'll happen.

I believe Tatum's 5 year extension with Boston starts in 2022-23 and he seems really happy there. He ain't going to the Lakers or anywhere else for the foreseeable future.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
What tier is Tatum?

Lebron level?

KD level?

Giannis level?

PG level?

BI level?

Jeremi Grant level?

He is still a little bit inefficient, so PG13 sounds about right. The key for Boston winning was their defense(with exception of game 6).
He is probably higher than BI now.
If we do a rank of the players that are still playing now. It would be
Luka
Steph
Tatum/butler

I agree with that.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

I believe Tatum's 5 year extension with Boston starts in 2022-23 and he seems really happy there. He ain't going to the Lakers or anywhere else for the foreseeable future.

Ah. Guess it'll have to be 34 year old Tatum as a last stop before he retires. Sorry, Scout, it'll take a minute, but it'll happen.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
From what I have read, Tatum would not workout with any other team than Boston.

Do, its not really a draft blunder for the Lakers. When a player's agent is not taking workouts for other teams, there is nothing you can do.

If the Lakers did have the opportunity to draft Tatum, well, duh, it would be the biggest draft blunder in Lakers history by far.

But, like I said, I don't think they had a chance.

No.

https://lakersoutsiders.com/2017/06/15/2017-nba-draft-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-jayson-tatum/

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

I love how Laker fans, especially those on LG, always talk about acquiring superstars from other teams. Lebron was a rarity. Before that, it was Shaq from 22 years ago. In order words, it's extremely unlikely to get a "free" superstar, especially those only on their 2nd contract. Lebron was "old" when he signed here. If you wait for a superstar to finish his 3rd or 4th contract, they'd already be washed. Look at KD with the Nets. Not everything free is good.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

I love how Laker fans, especially those on LG, always talk about acquiring superstars from other teams. Lebron was a rarity. Before that, it was Shaq from 22 years ago. In order words, it's extremely unlikely to get a "free" superstar, especially those only on their 2nd contract. Lebron was "old" when he signed here.

Oh relax.
We don't need Tatum.
But you did exclude Pau and D12 and AD from your list, who were pretty elite.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

I love how Laker fans, especially those on LG, always talk about acquiring superstars from other teams. Lebron was a rarity. Before that, it was Shaq from 22 years ago. In order words, it's extremely unlikely to get a "free" superstar, especially those only on their 2nd contract. Lebron was "old" when he signed here.

Oh relax.
We don't need Tatum.
But you did exclude Pau and D12 and AD from your list, who were pretty elite.

I'm talking about "free" superstar as in signing them as free agent. Not trading for them. We traded for Pau and AD. People wanted to get Tatum as a free agent? Foston would never trade with us.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

I love how Laker fans, especially those on LG, always talk about acquiring superstars from other teams. Lebron was a rarity. Before that, it was Shaq from 22 years ago. In order words, it's extremely unlikely to get a "free" superstar, especially those only on their 2nd contract. Lebron was "old" when he signed here. If you wait for a superstar to finish his 3rd or 4th contract, they'd already be washed. Look at KD with the Nets. Not everything free is good.

Oh actually, the Lakers have a history of acquiring superstars, so those dreams do come true.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Pau Gasol
Dwight Howard

So, not only is it "Daydreaming" but the Lakers have been doing this since the 1970s.

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, the disappointment wasn’t missing out on Tatum, the disappointment is with the amateur hour way in which we did.

Exactly.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

Oh actually, the Lakers have a history of acquiring superstars, so those dreams do come true.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Pau Gasol
Dwight Howard

So, not only is it "Daydreaming" but the Lakers have been doing this since the 1970s.

AD and Pau weren't free. We traded for them and I highly, highly doubt Rob could pull off a Pau-like trade. Bron and Shaq were really "free" but it was 22 years between Shaq and Bron. So yea, we could wait another 22 years before getting another superstar for free and then win another championship or two. Or we could amass draft picks and hope to get lucky and NOT trade them away like we did with BI.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Shecky wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Pau Gasol
Dwight Howard

AD and Pau weren't free. We traded for them and I highly, highly doubt Rob could pull off a Pau-like trade. Bron and Shaq were really "free" but it was 22 years between Shaq and Bron. So yea, we could wait another 22 years before getting another superstar for free and then win another championship or two. Or we could amass draft picks and hope to get lucky and NOT trade them away like we did with BI.

The length of time doesn't matter. The fact that players were traded for doesn't really matter. These are very specific conditions.

The point is, LAL found ways to get starpower, and it's not 22 years to get another star. Trading for Pau and LeBron got the Lakers rings. That's always been the point.

You really think LAL would wait 22 years until the conditions are perfect to get a star player with caproom? That's not how this organization works. Other NBA teams do this, but not LAL. But hell, that's also why they don't acquire star players.

Unlike most other teams, LAL actually does.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

We got a bit lucky getting Shaq. No way we pick him up with today’s rules.

Dwight unfortunately was not as good as we had hoped and I’m reluctant to call him a superstar, even though we all thought he was at the time. A healthy Steve Nash might have helped our team more.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Was passing on Jayson Tatum the biggest draft blunder in the history of the franchise?

RashardA wrote:
A pretty straight forward question.

That one miscalculation cost the Lakers a true franchise player.

Not only a true franchise player but one who is a disciple of the greatest Laker to ever wear the uniform, Kobe Bryant.

The way it would have been a seamless transition is scary.

And to those who will respond with the "well he would have been traded for AD anyway so what does it matter?"

That just further solidifies how GOD awful the Magic/Rob front office has been when it comes to evaluating talent.

If this regime would have traded both BI and Tatum for a brittle Anthony Davis, they should never again in life be allowed near any team's front office.

Drafting Lonzo Ball was near the top. He was obviously far overrated. And stupid Magic doubled down and crowned him before he ever played.

Tatum would have been great but
De'Aaron Fox
Donovon Mitchell
Bam
were for sure better and probably so were

Markkanen, Dennis Smith Jr. and Jarrett Allen
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
1) Again, traded for AD at the 1st opportunity, just like with all the other young kids. That was always going to be the endgame after Lebron signed. There is no player development or youth movement on Lebron's timeline.
2) Tatum and BI were not the same players they are today. It's futile to speculate about this. They don't blossom here with the current coaching staff and player development personnel.
3) Yes, the front office is awful, but the AD got them the ring. Rob bid against himself and should have kept a few more assets. Lakers would be in a different position today if he put protections on the picks or kept Hart/#4 (Garland). He gave up way too much.

While your post makes all the sense in the world, no doubt a number of forum members will dismiss it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I still can't believe we took Kevin O'Shea when Bill Sharman was still on the board. Ed Kalafat over Richie Guerin was pretty bad, but Kevin Freaking O'Shea? We redeemed ourselves with the Dick Garmaker pick the next year, though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11
Jump to: