Has anyone here lost hope?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 611

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 am    Post subject: Has anyone here lost hope?

Watching the Celtics come out of nowhere and play team ball and give it
to a healthy and loaded warriors outfit makes me wonder if that bubble
championship was the last one we will see in a while. Maybe this decade.
Maybe the Lakers are still a destination club for superstars but in the past
we did have guys like Kobe, who we pretty much had from draft night and
guys that we developed like butler and ariza etc. We surrounded our elite
players with great support guys and most of all...everyone who ever wore
a Lakers uniform was crazy happy about being here and played like it.
It was fun to watch Laker teams develop and compete and from year
to year up or down in the standings. Laker brand was never all that far
from exciting.
I don't know if its loosing Dr Buss and Kobe or something else but the
mediocre product the Lakers put out these days is so frustrating.

It seems like somehow the Celtics have kept what we have lost.

Lakers honestly look like a club that has a complete lack of...well...
insight into what works and who to avoid. Shipping out guys like Caruso
and allowing some sports agency to hold FO hostage in negotiations would
have been easy to ignore if they at least made the playoffs.
How disorganized and dull does a team have to be to miss the
playoffs with James and ad and drybrook. I thought this would stop
with the end of the DIM buss era but seems like the league is so competitive
now that even big markets cannot afford to make bonehead plays like
the Lakers have started doing again.
Our team is so bad I don't even know who to blame...
we don't have any young promising talent at ALL. Not a single guy that
you wish would stay a Laker because he is exciting. And we now play
premium for over the hill one trick ponies. No leverage at all.
Jebron signed with us and AD pretty much forced his way here and still
we are watching other teams in the playoffs.
Maybe its the end of the big market era but our FO isn't helping lol.
Other team fans don't even hate Laker fans anymore. We irrelevant as f.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11906

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject:

If the Celtics manage to win a title this year it would be their second title in the past 35 years, in their 4th finals appearance. In that same stretch the Lakers have 8 titles and reached the finals 12 times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 40952

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject:

The "mercenary era" will come to an end soon. I hope no more "draft capitol" is lost. I loathe the narrative that our future lottery picks are "middle schoolers." I am curious what Rob will do when he finally has money to spend in free agency next summer. The last time they signed Danny Green after losing out on Kawhi Leonard and it worked out.

I think they will try to build around Anthony. Darvin Ham could implement the same system they ran in Milwaukee for Giannis. I trust Rob will build the roster for it.
_________________
“God knew they couldn’t be on this Earth without each other. He had to bring them home to heaven together.”

— Vanessa Bryant
https://youtu.be/SX3IZULkWx8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 313

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The "mercenary era" will come to an end soon. I hope no more "draft capitol" is lost. I loathe the narrative that our future lottery picks are "middle schoolers." I am curious what Rob will do when he finally has money to spend in free agency next summer. The last time they signed Danny Green after losing out on Kawhi Leonard and it worked out.

I think they will try to build around Anthony. Darvin Ham could implement the same system they ran in Milwaukee for Giannis. I trust Rob will build the roster for it.


Why do you trust Rob?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 115587

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
If the Celtics manage to win a title this year it would be their second title in the past 35 years, in their 4th finals appearance. In that same stretch the Lakers have 8 titles and reached the finals 12 times.


Yeah. It may take a few years, but the arc of the Lakers franchise has been more championship oriented than the Celtics. They may likely win this year, but no guarantee they are a dynasty (as I think Bucks would have beat them in 5 if Middleton was healthy this year).

It's hard to trust Rob (without the assistance of LBJ/Klutch) in a new rebuild as that is most likely what happens in 2024-beyond. But that is the hand we have at this point.
_________________
LBJ missed games:
20-21: 27/72 (37.5% missed)
21-22: 26/82 (31% missed)

AD missed games:
20-21: 36/72 (50% missed)
21-22: 40/82 (48% missed)

Lakers wins and win%:
20-21: 42-30 (58% win)
21-22: 33-49 (40% win)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 4031

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject:

Yes, although I've tried not to admit it. With the current management, and our current players, there is just no way we will advance deep into the playoffs. And, unlike when we won it 2 seasons ago, I look at this damned Celtics team and see their potential to win for a few more seasons. I suppose we had that potential 2 years ago, but then Pelinka happened, and Jeanie Buss let it happen.

The West is just too tough right now. Too many teams with younger players, hungry players, 3 and D athletes. We have fallen far behind, too far, and I don't know how many years it will be before we can become true contenders again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27347

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject:

As I've explained elsewhere, I'm not as invested in Celtics hate as most of you. I think you're clinging to nostalgic memories of a rivalry that hasn't been meaningful in over 30 years. But if it increases your enjoyment of the NBA to have an arch-rival/arch-villain, that's great. Personally, I moved on a long time ago. Today, the only reasons I care about the Celtics is that many of their fans are invested in Lakers hate and that many of you will freak out if and when they win another title.

But if you take the Celtics angle out of what you said, then yes, I have the same concerns and have been voicing them for years. Dr. Buss screwed us by leaving control of the team to his mediocre kids, who started feuding almost immediately. Some of you were gullible enough to believe all of the anti-Jim propaganda that came from Jeanie, but this is not to say that Jim was anything more than mediocre. The combination of Jim and Mitch was fine, except that Jeanie was going to do whatever she could to sabotage them and pressure them. That led to the Mozgov/Deng signings, which led to the firings, which led to Magic, which led to Lebron, which led to where we are now. We got the bubble title as a result of quick fixes, and that was great. But now we're paying the price, which is what happens when you rely on quick fixes.

Jeanie was never supposed to be in charge of the basketball side, but Dr. Buss foolishly thought that she would stick to the business side. Pelinka is learning on the job, but hasn't shown a lot of acumen. Either someone needs to grow into the job, or the Buss family needs to euthanize themselves by selling the team. Otherwise, this has the potential to be an ongoing embarrassment as Jeanie tries to run the team the way she thinks her daddy would have run it, while the rest of the league operates in the modern NBA world.

Even though the bubble title was a good thing, it has a dark side: It validates the way that Jeanie is running things. It validates chasing quick fixes. It validates Pelinka. It validates the influence of Lebron and Rich Paul. If you criticize Jeanie, you will get the response: "She won a title." This worries me.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 115587

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As I've explained elsewhere, I'm not as invested in Celtics hate as most of you. I think you're clinging to nostalgic memories of a rivalry that hasn't been meaningful in over 30 years. But if it increases your enjoyment of the NBA to have an arch-rival/arch-villain, that's great. Personally, I moved on a long time ago. Today, the only reasons I care about the Celtics is that many of their fans are invested in Lakers hate and that many of you will freak out if and when they win another title.

But if you take the Celtics angle out of what you said, then yes, I have the same concerns and have been voicing them for years. Dr. Buss screwed us by leaving control of the team to his mediocre kids, who started feuding almost immediately. Some of you were gullible enough to believe all of the anti-Jim propaganda that came from Jeanie, but this is not to say that Jim was anything more than mediocre. The combination of Jim and Mitch was fine, except that Jeanie was going to do whatever she could to sabotage them and pressure them. That led to the Mozgov/Deng signings, which led to the firings, which led to Magic, which led to Lebron, which led to where we are now. We got the bubble title as a result of quick fixes, and that was great. But now we're paying the price, which is what happens when you rely on quick fixes.

Jeanie was never supposed to be in charge of the basketball side, but Dr. Buss foolishly thought that she would stick to the business side. Pelinka is learning on the job, but hasn't shown a lot of acumen. Either someone needs to grow into the job, or the Buss family needs to euthanize themselves by selling the team. Otherwise, this has the potential to be an ongoing embarrassment as Jeanie tries to run the team the way she thinks her daddy would have run it, while the rest of the league operates in the modern NBA world.

Even though the bubble title was a good thing, it has a dark side: It validates the way that Jeanie is running things. It validates chasing quick fixes. It validates Pelinka. It validates the influence of Lebron and Rich Paul. If you criticize Jeanie, you will get the response: "She won a title." This worries me.


I'm with you re: Jeanie. Had a chance to hire someone really knowledgeable about basketball operations, and who did they go with? Magic and Rob. Reeks of basketball nepotism. And I credit LBJ/Klutch more for the 2020 championship than Jeanie/Rob, but the latter will take the credit and blame LBJ/Klutch when things don't go their way. And she will validate all the bad moves Rob has made with "but we won in 2020."
_________________
LBJ missed games:
20-21: 27/72 (37.5% missed)
21-22: 26/82 (31% missed)

AD missed games:
20-21: 36/72 (50% missed)
21-22: 40/82 (48% missed)

Lakers wins and win%:
20-21: 42-30 (58% win)
21-22: 33-49 (40% win)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141220
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

Unless management changes we are in for a long drought. I always have hope but it has to be balanced by reality. There are no adults steering the ship.
_________________
Between the things known, and the things unknown, are the Doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 33835

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

In addition to many of the other thoughts here, I think many Laker fans are doomed to be disappointed by expectations based on our success in the past.

The Celtics have more rings than us, but most of those rings come from a faraway time before most of the people on this board were born. Personally I have no strong feelings about the current Celtics. They are just another team, not rivals.

If you start from the 1980s, no franchise comes close to us in terms of stars and success.

The challenge is that some of that success was based on luck, people who are no longer with us (figuratively and literally), and advantages we had that no longer exist.

In some ways, the Lebron championship may have made people even more unhappy. It gave fans a taste of success without the depth of success they have seen in the past. If we had gone, say, 20 or 25 years without winning a ring people's expectations might have been muted, and so they might have enjoyed success more when it comes.

Many fans still think the only acceptable standard is Showtime and the Shaq/Kobe era. If that is the only level that will make you satisfied and happy, satisfaction and happiness will be difficult to find.

In addition, the Lakers greatest success came before the social media era. Social media tends to make people dissatisfied and unhappy. People come to this board and complain. They despair. They fantasize about the perfect world they think they deserve as a Laker fan that they will never have.

On some level, the very existence of LG makes it more difficult for fans to take enjoyment and satisfaction from the Lakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11657

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here lost hope?

OdomGrab wrote:
Watching the Celtics come out of nowhere and play team ball and give it
to a healthy and loaded warriors outfit makes me wonder if that bubble
championship was the last one we will see in a while. Maybe this decade.
Maybe the Lakers are still a destination club for superstars but in the past
we did have guys like Kobe, who we pretty much had from draft night and
guys that we developed like butler and ariza etc. We surrounded our elite
players with great support guys and most of all...everyone who ever wore
a Lakers uniform was crazy happy about being here and played like it.
It was fun to watch Laker teams develop and compete and from year
to year up or down in the standings. Laker brand was never all that far
from exciting.
I don't know if its loosing Dr Buss and Kobe or something else but the
mediocre product the Lakers put out these days is so frustrating.

It seems like somehow the Celtics have kept what we have lost.

Lakers honestly look like a club that has a complete lack of...well...
insight into what works and who to avoid. Shipping out guys like Caruso
and allowing some sports agency to hold FO hostage in negotiations would
have been easy to ignore if they at least made the playoffs.
How disorganized and dull does a team have to be to miss the
playoffs with James and ad and drybrook. I thought this would stop
with the end of the DIM buss era but seems like the league is so competitive
now that even big markets cannot afford to make bonehead plays like
the Lakers have started doing again.
Our team is so bad I don't even know who to blame...
we don't have any young promising talent at ALL. Not a single guy that
you wish would stay a Laker because he is exciting. And we now play
premium for over the hill one trick ponies. No leverage at all.
Jebron signed with us and AD pretty much forced his way here and still
we are watching other teams in the playoffs.
Maybe its the end of the big market era but our FO isn't helping lol.
Other team fans don't even hate Laker fans anymore. We irrelevant as f.

No. We just have to be realistic. We are good enough, if healthy to probably make the playoffs but that’ it. The hope is that after next year Hamm is a coach guys want to play for and that the organization only pays bron what he’s worth on the court. 50 gm seasons ( fingers crossed we can get even than many going forward).

There is always hope. Just have to be patient and pray hamm is who they say he is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 18873

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject:

The Celtics are out there playing like its the NBA finals and the Warriors are playing like its a game in January.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 115587

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
In addition to many of the other thoughts here, I think many Laker fans are doomed to be disappointed by expectations based on our success in the past.

The Celtics have more rings than us, but most of those rings come from a faraway time before most of the people on this board were born. Personally I have no strong feelings about the current Celtics. They are just another team, not rivals.

If you start from the 1980s, no franchise comes close to us in terms of stars and success.

The challenge is that some of that success was based on luck, people who are no longer with us (figuratively and literally), and advantages we had that no longer exist.

In some ways, the Lebron championship may have made people even more unhappy. It gave fans a taste of success without the depth of success they have seen in the past. If we had gone, say, 20 or 25 years without winning a ring people's expectations might have been muted, and so they might have enjoyed success more when it comes.

Many fans still think the only acceptable standard is Showtime and the Shaq/Kobe era. If that is the only level that will make you satisfied and happy, satisfaction and happiness will be difficult to find.

In addition, the Lakers greatest success came before the social media era. Social media tends to make people dissatisfied and unhappy. People come to this board and complain. They despair. They fantasize about the perfect world they think they deserve as a Laker fan that they will never have.

On some level, the very existence of LG makes it more difficult for fans to take enjoyment and satisfaction from the Lakers


Agreed. The notion that the Lakers have to win a championship every 2 years, or we must have a 5 year dynastic run is just not realistic. Lakers will pursue stars via FA/trade, which means our window will always be truncated as these guys will be in the later 20s when they are FAs.
_________________
LBJ missed games:
20-21: 27/72 (37.5% missed)
21-22: 26/82 (31% missed)

AD missed games:
20-21: 36/72 (50% missed)
21-22: 40/82 (48% missed)

Lakers wins and win%:
20-21: 42-30 (58% win)
21-22: 33-49 (40% win)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 4031

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As I've explained elsewhere, I'm not as invested in Celtics hate as most of you. I think you're clinging to nostalgic memories of a rivalry that hasn't been meaningful in over 30 years. But if it increases your enjoyment of the NBA to have an arch-rival/arch-villain, that's great. Personally, I moved on a long time ago. Today, the only reasons I care about the Celtics is that many of their fans are invested in Lakers hate and that many of you will freak out if and when they win another title.

But if you take the Celtics angle out of what you said, then yes, I have the same concerns and have been voicing them for years. Dr. Buss screwed us by leaving control of the team to his mediocre kids, who started feuding almost immediately. Some of you were gullible enough to believe all of the anti-Jim propaganda that came from Jeanie, but this is not to say that Jim was anything more than mediocre. The combination of Jim and Mitch was fine, except that Jeanie was going to do whatever she could to sabotage them and pressure them. That led to the Mozgov/Deng signings, which led to the firings, which led to Magic, which led to Lebron, which led to where we are now. We got the bubble title as a result of quick fixes, and that was great. But now we're paying the price, which is what happens when you rely on quick fixes.

Jeanie was never supposed to be in charge of the basketball side, but Dr. Buss foolishly thought that she would stick to the business side. Pelinka is learning on the job, but hasn't shown a lot of acumen. Either someone needs to grow into the job, or the Buss family needs to euthanize themselves by selling the team. Otherwise, this has the potential to be an ongoing embarrassment as Jeanie tries to run the team the way she thinks her daddy would have run it, while the rest of the league operates in the modern NBA world.

Even though the bubble title was a good thing, it has a dark side: It validates the way that Jeanie is running things. It validates chasing quick fixes. It validates Pelinka. It validates the influence of Lebron and Rich Paul. If you criticize Jeanie, you will get the response: "She won a title." This worries me.


I'm with you re: Jeanie. Had a chance to hire someone really knowledgeable about basketball operations, and who did they go with? Magic and Rob. Reeks of basketball nepotism. And I credit LBJ/Klutch more for the 2020 championship than Jeanie/Rob, but the latter will take the credit and blame LBJ/Klutch when things don't go their way. And she will validate all the bad moves Rob has made with "but we won in 2020."


Oddly, that same line didn't work for Vogel...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 115587

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As I've explained elsewhere, I'm not as invested in Celtics hate as most of you. I think you're clinging to nostalgic memories of a rivalry that hasn't been meaningful in over 30 years. But if it increases your enjoyment of the NBA to have an arch-rival/arch-villain, that's great. Personally, I moved on a long time ago. Today, the only reasons I care about the Celtics is that many of their fans are invested in Lakers hate and that many of you will freak out if and when they win another title.

But if you take the Celtics angle out of what you said, then yes, I have the same concerns and have been voicing them for years. Dr. Buss screwed us by leaving control of the team to his mediocre kids, who started feuding almost immediately. Some of you were gullible enough to believe all of the anti-Jim propaganda that came from Jeanie, but this is not to say that Jim was anything more than mediocre. The combination of Jim and Mitch was fine, except that Jeanie was going to do whatever she could to sabotage them and pressure them. That led to the Mozgov/Deng signings, which led to the firings, which led to Magic, which led to Lebron, which led to where we are now. We got the bubble title as a result of quick fixes, and that was great. But now we're paying the price, which is what happens when you rely on quick fixes.

Jeanie was never supposed to be in charge of the basketball side, but Dr. Buss foolishly thought that she would stick to the business side. Pelinka is learning on the job, but hasn't shown a lot of acumen. Either someone needs to grow into the job, or the Buss family needs to euthanize themselves by selling the team. Otherwise, this has the potential to be an ongoing embarrassment as Jeanie tries to run the team the way she thinks her daddy would have run it, while the rest of the league operates in the modern NBA world.

Even though the bubble title was a good thing, it has a dark side: It validates the way that Jeanie is running things. It validates chasing quick fixes. It validates Pelinka. It validates the influence of Lebron and Rich Paul. If you criticize Jeanie, you will get the response: "She won a title." This worries me.


I'm with you re: Jeanie. Had a chance to hire someone really knowledgeable about basketball operations, and who did they go with? Magic and Rob. Reeks of basketball nepotism. And I credit LBJ/Klutch more for the 2020 championship than Jeanie/Rob, but the latter will take the credit and blame LBJ/Klutch when things don't go their way. And she will validate all the bad moves Rob has made with "but we won in 2020."


Oddly, that same line didn't work for Vogel...


Because Rob/Jeanie have set up Vogel as the fall guy (when they took away all the Vogel styled players by trading for Russ, not re-signing AC).

I think they sort of are making Russ be the full scapegoat this year if he sticks around now. Instead of owning up to the mistake they will never do so and I think Russ is in for an even worse reaction from the fanbase this year as Vogel is gone and Ham is a new coach who will have some leeway given.
_________________
LBJ missed games:
20-21: 27/72 (37.5% missed)
21-22: 26/82 (31% missed)

AD missed games:
20-21: 36/72 (50% missed)
21-22: 40/82 (48% missed)

Lakers wins and win%:
20-21: 42-30 (58% win)
21-22: 33-49 (40% win)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 6124

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

We all knew that we went all in on a short contention window. Unfortunately, the credit card bill is coming in with a ton of interest added. Things are going to be miserable for a fairly long time unless we are VERY LUCKY.

I am not caught up with the leprechauns. Fan bases and mouth pieces are fickle and jump at the hot hand. I know many fans in my area (Celtic area) were ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown bandwagon both last season and the beginning of this season. Now everyone is sticking their chest out and are forgetting what they previously said.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 11657

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
We all knew that we went all in on a short contention window. Unfortunately, the credit card bill is coming in with a ton of interest added. Things are going to be miserable for a fairly long time unless we are VERY LUCKY.

I am not caught up with the leprechauns. Fan bases and mouth pieces are fickle and jump at the hot hand. I know many fans in my area (Celtic area) were ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown bandwagon both last season and the beginning of this season. Now everyone is sticking their chest out and are forgetting what they previously said.

I don't buy the long time, ASSUMING Hamm is who we think he is. From the outside looking in he is respected which means guys will want to play for him.

If he is all about effort and D we will be at worst a team that can grind into the playoffs. Now add picks and money in a couple years.

I genuinely feel , based on the Hamm hype and his potential, that we are in a really good place. He just needs to be able to get his kind of players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 7238

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

I hope the best for Ham. I like what I have seen and heard from him so far. Unfortunately he still has to work with the same roster and instability.

Compare the roster building of the past four seasons of just the Celtics and Lakers.

Boston drafted quality players and have built a consistent foundation as the starting point. They have a core group of 6-7 team leaders and impact role players to build around over that time. They changed coaches, they made roster tweaks but kept the consistent core intact.

Lakers on the other hand have one player that has lasted four years. Only three from the championship team from just 3 seasons ago. How many survive this latest off-season?

Ham is saying the right things about defense and competitiveness. Can the current players deliver? Can Pelinka add the right players to fill the roster weaknesses?

Lakers being a mess are self imposed. From ownership, management to the players on the court they have work to do. They have no consistency or stability.

My enthusiasm and hopes are not very high on what I am seeing on the court. If Ham can change that intensity and overall culture I am all for it. But to me, the issues are deeper and not easily fixed. I will be watching. Just with a much higher level of impatience until I see those changes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27347

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I don't buy the long time, ASSUMING Hamm is who we think he is. From the outside looking in he is respected which means guys will want to play for him.

If he is all about effort and D we will be at worst a team that can grind into the playoffs. Now add picks and money in a couple years.

I genuinely feel , based on the Hamm hype and his potential, that we are in a really good place. He just needs to be able to get his kind of players.


I don’t know that Ham, or any other coach, really, is a magnet for players. I do agree that we can make the playoffs next season if (and this is not a trivial “if”) Lebron and Davis are reasonably healthy, Nunn comes back healthy, and Ham finds a way to make Westbrook fit better than he did last year. As for Ham getting the players in needs in the future, we shall see.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

You know this fanbase is something else when you get this thread only 2 seasons after their last championship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141220
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
We all knew that we went all in on a short contention window. Unfortunately, the credit card bill is coming in with a ton of interest added. Things are going to be miserable for a fairly long time unless we are VERY LUCKY.

I am not caught up with the leprechauns. Fan bases and mouth pieces are fickle and jump at the hot hand. I know many fans in my area (Celtic area) were ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown bandwagon both last season and the beginning of this season. Now everyone is sticking their chest out and are forgetting what they previously said.

I don't buy the long time, ASSUMING Hamm is who we think he is. From the outside looking in he is respected which means guys will want to play for him.

If he is all about effort and D we will be at worst a team that can grind into the playoffs. Now add picks and money in a couple years.

I genuinely feel , based on the Hamm hype and his potential, that we are in a really good place. He just needs to be able to get his kind of players.


Hype definitely is the right word and you have obviously bought in. Others are in a more logical wait and see mode.
_________________
Between the things known, and the things unknown, are the Doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 27347

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
You know this fanbase is something else when you get this thread only 2 seasons after their last championship.


You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as two months after missing the playoffs with a roster with multiple future Hall of Famers and a $45M luxury tax bill. The bubble title was great, but does it validate the way that the team is being run?
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3181

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
You know this fanbase is something else when you get this thread only 2 seasons after their last championship.


You can look at it that way, or you can look at it as two months after missing the playoffs with a roster with multiple future Hall of Famers and a $45M luxury tax bill. The bubble title was great, but does it validate the way that the team is being run?


See…this right here is my biggest gripe with our recent title. Certain folks (the most detrimental being ownership) actually use it to justify our current FO’s bball decisions.

Right now, Brad Stevens looks like a stud executive. Win or lose, the most interesting aspect tho is if Boston looks to be a legit contender next year. It’s about sustaining a title run. That was biggest issue with Mitch as well. He took West’s team and just ran it into the ground rather than sustain a Shaq/Kobe duo. Of course he made his own mark with pairing Pau with Kob later, but you can argue that just like the Kob/Shaq pairing, the Kob/Pau duo should have led to more titles especially with Phil at the helm. But just like shipping out Shaq a bit prematurely, they did the same with Phil and then overlooking him in favor of MDA…I’m still big MAD about that one.

All in all though, Shaq/Kob led to 4 Finals appearances in 5 years. That’s a legit bball ops. Kob/Pau led to 3 Finals in 3 years. Again that’s validation for your bball ops.

Same thing with the dubs who continue to get there…RC Buford with the Spurs before and of course all of Bron’s teams before coming to LA. So if Stevens continues to make Boston a title threat, his executive game is legit.

Meanwhile Rob robbed us of Bron’s current window. In 4 seasons, we’ve only managed to progress deep into the playoffs once. That’s a failure imho.

For those stating that Rob constructed that title team tho…here’s the counter: just remember that was a contingency option after we struck out on key names in 2018/19 free agency. Also recall that Rob blew that title team up the first chance he got. So maybe he too doubted his own construction of that team and if they could sustain a continued title run throughout the years.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 10569
Location: Hoosier Nation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject:

Lost hope? In the world? In our government? In democracy? Absolutely, yes!

Have I lost hope in the Lakers? Never!

Perhaps you haven't ridden this roller coaster long enough to know that what goes up must come down and vice versa. This team will be back and will win more chips, just maybe not as soon as their incredibly fickle fanbase would like.
_________________
Not a legend
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 4031

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
In addition to many of the other thoughts here, I think many Laker fans are doomed to be disappointed by expectations based on our success in the past.

The Celtics have more rings than us, but most of those rings come from a faraway time before most of the people on this board were born. Personally I have no strong feelings about the current Celtics. They are just another team, not rivals.

If you start from the 1980s, no franchise comes close to us in terms of stars and success.

The challenge is that some of that success was based on luck, people who are no longer with us (figuratively and literally), and advantages we had that no longer exist.

In some ways, the Lebron championship may have made people even more unhappy. It gave fans a taste of success without the depth of success they have seen in the past. If we had gone, say, 20 or 25 years without winning a ring people's expectations might have been muted, and so they might have enjoyed success more when it comes.

Many fans still think the only acceptable standard is Showtime and the Shaq/Kobe era. If that is the only level that will make you satisfied and happy, satisfaction and happiness will be difficult to find.

In addition, the Lakers greatest success came before the social media era. Social media tends to make people dissatisfied and unhappy. People come to this board and complain. They despair. They fantasize about the perfect world they think they deserve as a Laker fan that they will never have.

On some level, the very existence of LG makes it more difficult for fans to take enjoyment and satisfaction from the Lakers


Agreed. The notion that the Lakers have to win a championship every 2 years, or we must have a 5 year dynastic run is just not realistic. Lakers will pursue stars via FA/trade, which means our window will always be truncated as these guys will be in the later 20s when they are FAs.


But I've said this a million times here on LG. We won it all only TWO seasons ago, and yet almost that entire team and the head coach have been gotten rid of? Who does that????

I know I'm a broken record here, but again, under the Vogel era, Season 1, we won the NBA World Championship, Season 2, we were prepped for a 2nd round playoff run, but then AD got hurt. Season 3, Westbrook happened. AND THEN YOU FIRE THE COACH!!! 2 seasons after winning it all?? Our team, our coach, gutted. Why? Was the expectation that we win a ring every season?

I simply don't understand the mindset with Laker management. I just don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB