Max Christie the Lakers 35th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

Being able to shoot on the move is a pretty important skill in a motion offense. Lots of actions depend on it. Look at how hard it was for Boston to defend Poole.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

I get that people are upset that we didn't draft a traditional wing with some size--I was a bit surprised as well--but draft strategy should always be best player available. When you draft for fit/need, you tend to miss out on good players. If the Lakers passed on Christie because they didn't want to block THT or Reaves and then Christie hit and became a high-end rotation player, we'd all be pissed. Especially if in the next few days we get some sick offers for Reaves/THT and trade them. Fit should only factor in as a deciding factor when multiple players are evaluated evenly. Lakers saw high upside and low floor with Christie and rated him the BPA, so I'm good with it. They've earned my trust on talent evaluation for sure, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

This is always cool to see, only Lakers ones tho, don’t care about others lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Being able to shoot on the move is a pretty important skill in a motion offense. Lots of actions depend on it. Look at how hard it was for Boston to defend Poole.

His balance on his shots looks exceptional. Further, his in-between game looks really good too.

Too many "shooters" today have the open 3, step back 3, but can't take 1-2 dribbles in off a 3 point fake and nail the mid-range wide open. He seems to have that in his bag so far. He measured 6'6 in shoes, 6'4.25 barefoot.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

Kinda Klay athleticism, just slightly slimmer, tad bit shorter, jumper… not bad at all
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

Via the Athletic:

Quote:
35. Los Angeles Lakers (from Orlando Magic – via Pacers and Bucks)
Max Christie | 6-foot-6, wing | 19 years old, freshman | Michigan State

Vecenie’s ranking: 27.

Christie is a project, pure and simple. A team’s evaluation of him comes down to where it is organizationally with its roster spots and how confidently it feels about developing his frame over the next two years. He will not be effective as a rookie. If you draft Christie, you’re hoping he takes the next year and a half, adds 15 pounds to a frame that desperately needs it and becomes the lights-out shooter he has potential to be. If you feel confident your team can do that, I buy having a first-round grade on Christie because his touch, balance and natural feel for separating from defenders gives him real upside in a role that every team is seeking. Every single NBA team would love to find wings with legitimate size and length who can make open jumpers, generate shots without the ball and defend their position well enough to stay on the court in NBA settings. Christie has the upside to do that.

Hollinger’s team fit: Despite their other organizational flaws, the Lakers’ track record on late draft picks is worthy of some serious respect. They might do this better than any team in the league. Christie was pretty bad last year but has an interesting 3-and-D toolset. We’ll give L.A. the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Kinda Klay athleticism, just slightly slimmer, tad bit shorter, jumper… not bad at all

Thompson is an interesting comparison. I only hope he develops into that type of impact player.

We also have to remember that Klay has had a decade to become the player he is today.

When 19 yrs old and still in college he was 190lbs and needed to get stronger.

It will be interesting to see if Christie can earn some mpg this season. Even if 5-10 mpg every few games or in the second half of the season. I am not expecting a key role but an occasional contribution would be nice, if earned.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

His balance on his shots looks exceptional. Further, his in-between game looks really good too.

Too many "shooters" today have the open 3, step back 3, but can't take 1-2 dribbles in off a 3 point fake and nail the mid-range wide open. He seems to have that in his bag so far. He measured 6'6 in shoes, 6'4.25 barefoot.

Midrange skills are huge come playoff time as well. Seems he has it with the 1-2 dribble pull ups and a turnaround.

Not saying he’s a playoff contributor now. Just saying he has skills that could eventually translate to high leverage situations.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

Yeah, and I like that Max has both a high release point and gets lift on his jumper. Combine that with his size, and he should be able to get his shot off at the pro level against closeouts and contests.

It does seem like he is a project though, which is to say we shouldn't expect much this season. That doesn't jive with folks who want to make a run with Lebron this year, but we really weren't going to find that @ 35, and I'm happy to see the team invest in the future (including a Davis timeline).
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Draymond Green
@Money23Green

Another 35th pick from Michigan State. History says he’s going to be an All-Star 🤷🏿‍♂️
https://twitter.com/Money23Green/status/1540173782878257157

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Hopeful Floor KCP
Hopeful Ceiling Klay Thompson/Jordan Poole
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I would have loved to be on a site like this when Kobe got drafted.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject:

It’s worth noting that Max shot a very solid 82% from the ft line in college, and that ft% in college has been a better indicator of shooting ability than fg% for the NBA.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Only thing I see that he needs to clean up, is when he gathers before the shot during catch and shoot. Seems to take a little time and there some wasted motion there starting the ball low before he goes up on his shooting motion. But besides that, release looks really fluid and good. His shot off the dribble looks very good also.

Just about how hard he works from this point on and getting stronger and letting his body mature into the NBA.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject:

He has the same measurements as Devin Booker. Devin Booker 2.0?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Floor Glen Rice
Ceiling Ray Allen

lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Floor Glen Rice
Ceiling Ray Allen

that's a pretty high floor, could be vujacic, lol
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
It’s worth noting that Max shot a very solid 82% from the ft line in college, and that ft% in college has been a better indicator of shooting ability than fg% for the NBA.

I believe that. It shows that he has a great stroke. Add a couple of years for his frame to fill out and we might have something.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Surprised to see this, pleasantly. I was hoping for a wing but dammit beggars can't be choosers he's more than I thought we'd get.

If he had a steep learning curve at Michigan he's going to be a project at this level, I don't expect much at summer league and I do expect a lot of G League floor time this coming year.

I like that he's a defender with length, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he develops into here. I'm not at all concerned about the shooting percentage, some good observations in this thread on his shooting/scoring touch. The FT percentage is a telling sign he can shoot too, and he can score in the mid-range.

Definitely going to need some strength, maturity and more meat on those bones though, defending more physical NBA guards and finishing at the rim.

All in all, I'm pretty happy, it'll just take some time. I hope Draymond's right about him!
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Saw a Reggie Bullock comp online. Seems reasonable.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Floor Glen Rice
Ceiling Ray Allen

Im assuming this is a joke???? Glen Rice at his best is better than Ray Allen at his. Glen Rice was a top 5 player in the NBA in the 1996/97 season. Ray Allen was never a top 5 player ever
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

This site would have melted down in despair with the combined 1-8 record vs Utah in 1997 and 1998.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

This site would have melted down in despair with the combined 1-8 record vs Utah in 1997 and 1998.

Definitely. It would be hilarious watching all the people talk about he wasn't the right pick, trade him, and so forth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 5 of 49
Jump to: