Max Christie the Lakers 35th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Bryce Mcgowens 24 points and 5-6 from 3. 19 years old

The same guy that Scotty Pippen Jr got 4 deflections off of his handle alone.

Yes, the 19 year old with superior skills to s-curl Christie

You're enticed by shooting, and not by being TO prone/streaky... or defense.

Got it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:

Got it.

I’m enticed by talent
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:

Got it.

I’m enticed by talent

Yet you can't see what Christie can do that McGowens can't?

Got it.

A lot easier to fix Christie's issues than McGowens.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

We won't be able to fully assess this year's draft picks 35-60 for a couple of years.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Max Christie was getting to the cup pretty easy and get off his shot. He has to work on finishing moves beyond his floater and more shooting reps to improve his efficiency. He needs to get stronger because he goes into traffic like he is Giannis. I like his defense. He also has good IQ. Yesterday, he was forcing things because it seems he was like "forget it, y'all hogging the rock" and was more aggressive. I liked it, because it showed more of what he could do, what he needs to improve, and it helps with his confidence.

He seems very dedicated, driven, and a hard worker. He seems like he wants to be great. Let's see if he will reach it. I believe in him. I think he will reach it.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Max Christie was getting to the cup pretty easy and get off his shot. He has to work on finishing moves beyond his floater and more shooting reps to improve his efficiency. He needs to get stronger because he goes into traffic like he is Giannis. I like his defense. He also has good IQ. Yesterday, he was forcing things because it seems he was like "forget it, y'all hogging the rock" and was more aggressive. I liked it, because it showed more of what he could do, what he needs to improve, and it helps with his confidence.

He seems very dedicated, driven, and a hard worker. He seems like he wants to be great. Let's see if he will reach it. I believe in him. I think he will reach it.

+1
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

+1

+2

anyone else watch how effective he was defensively against Keegan Murray? Because he looks like the only guy that contained him the entire summer...

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
We won't be able to fully assess this year's draft picks 35-60 for a couple of years.

2 is the magic number now. Draft crops get deeper, with higher floors of talent in later picks to UDFA.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

Nice article in The Athletic about Max.

Quote:
Lakers assistant general manager and co-owner Jesse Buss, who leads the organization’s scouting department, first remembers Christie from the SC30 Select Camp, where he was one of the standout performers among a group that included future top-five picks Chet Holmgren, Jalen Green and Jalen Suggs.

“Just him showing flashes of being a good perimeter shooter with his shooting mechanics and being able to create his own shot off the dribble,” Buss told The Athletic of Christie’s skill set. “A high-IQ player, obviously, with his size and his length, at the two guard position.”

When the Lakers were on the clock after acquiring the No. 35 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, Christie was several spots higher than anyone else remaining on their draft board. Even though they didn’t work him out, they were more than comfortable selecting him after reviewing his film, watching him in person multiple times and interviewing him at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago.

“To be able to get a player of his caliber at the 35th pick, we feel really good about it,” Buss said.

The Lakers, especially in the later parts of drafts, have tended to draft older, NBA-ready perimeter players like Kyle Kuzma, Josh Hart and Jordan Clarkson. But similar to Talen Horton-Tucker, who was 18 when the Lakers acquired him in a draft-day trade with the No. 46 pick in the 2019 draft, the Lakers are taking a long-term view with Christie, who won’t turn 20 until February.

Christie’s rawness showed itself in his offensive struggles during his eight summer-league games (7.4 points per game on 27.3 percent shooting). That level of shooting would make him an offensive liability in the NBA. Nonetheless, the Lakers are committed to developing Christie, signing him to a fully guaranteed two-year, $2.74 million deal in early July.

A thought exercise that members of the Lakers’ scouting department will sometimes ask one another while evaluating prospects is: If this player returns to college, where would they go in next season’s draft?

The Lakers deemed Christie a likely lottery pick in 2023 with improved shooting and a sturdier frame. To get that level of potential in the second round was an easy decision for them, even if it might not unfold for a few years.

“He’s just a guy that we think can develop into a pretty good NBA player,” Buss said.

Quote:
While Christie’s shot has been underwhelming, he’s exceeded expectations as a defender. Ott assigned him the top perimeter ballhandler and/or scorer in each summer-league game, as the Lakers believe Christie’s defense will be his first skill to translate at the league level.

“He’s just putting in so much effort defensively, and that’s what we need,” Ott said. “We need him to start on the defensive side. The offensive side, it’ll come.”

Christie’s measurements — 6-foot-5 3/4 with shoes with a 6-foot-9 wingspan — are above average for the shooting guard position. More importantly, he knows how to leverage his length. His arms are always up and wide, ready to contest a shot or disrupt a pass.

Christie has held his own in isolation situations, navigating pick-and-rolls as a point-of-attack pest and chasing shooters off pindowns and around the perimeter.

“I think the biggest thing is just, that even when my shots are going down, I want to make sure I can impact the game,” Christie said. “And that’s the one way I can, even if my shot’s not going down. And so when I’m not making shots, I want to find a way to really get into the game still.

“Defensively, that’s where I can really impose my will. And I think I’ve done a pretty good job of just containing, contesting shots, rebounding, things like that. So controlling the things I can control. Defense is one of them, and other than that, just keep playing the right way.”

Keegan Murray, the No. 4 pick in the 2022 draft and the summer-league MVP in Las Vegas, shot 0-for-5 when Christie was the closest defender. In all other scenarios, he made 9 of 11.

Quote:
“A sneaky, good athlete,” Buss said. “He was one of the best wing players vertically at the combine. Which, I think, (surprises) a lot of people from watching his game, because he’s pretty smooth and he’s not gonna really impose his athleticism all the time. But it’s there. You wouldn’t know it until you look at the numbers really.”

Christie’s point-of-attack defense in pick-and-rolls impressed the Lakers’ coaching staff and front office. He uses his slender frame to slither around screens and his length to recover and contest shots from behind.

New head coach Darvin Ham is implementing some of Mike Budenholzer’s defensive coverages from Milwaukee, including the Bucks’ conservative drop coverage. That requires Christie to often operate against two players on an island.

“We play a drop in center-field coverage, so our big is back,” Ott said. “So in most pick-and-rolls, he has to fight basically by himself. He’s incredibly gifted laterally defensively.”

It’s an adjustment Christie is still getting used to, as his bigs played up to the level of the screen and/or hard-hedged at Michigan State.

“You still gotta get through the screen on both levels, for sure,” Christie said. “But definitely, the coverage is the biggest difference. At Michigan State, we’d always be up hard hedging. This time, we’re dropping back. So it’s just a little bit different. I guess when you’re in drop, you’ve got to really rearview contest and get back in front. But that’s how the NBA games are played. So you gotta adjust. I think I’m doing a pretty good job of fighting over screens and I’m getting back.”

Christie has also imposed his will as a rebounder, averaging 5.6 rebounds and 1.5 offensive rebounds. In the California Classic, he finished third in overall rebounding (7.7) and sixth in offensive rebounding (2.0).

Quote:
“I think all the tools are there,” Buss said. “The talent is definitely there, and I think it’s going to come for him. I think just getting adjusted to the next level is going to be a step in progression for him. And it’s going to be a challenge.

“But we believe he’s the type of guy that’s going to put in the work and that’s going to do all the right things to keep progressing as a player in this league.”

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

Man, if Jesse could take over the Lakers, at least this guy has a real eye for talent.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

if they knew he was project, why didn't they sign him to a 3-4 year contract?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

The smart people in our org identified the talent but they don’t negotiate the contracts. We leave that to the dummies.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

The smart people in our org identified the talent but they don’t negotiate the contracts. We leave that to the dummies.

I think it’s actually worse than that. Pelinka is managing the politics of staying in power by keeping Klutch and Jeanie happy. Now he’s under additional pressure to keep his job and year three of Max Christie or deep future picks are tomorrow’s failure. He’s still working in today’s.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject:

This is probably the highest upside move of the summer (so far). No problem with this one, you take chances like this. Lakers even spent $$$. They got back into the draft and added a prospect that could start for them in a few years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This is probably the highest upside move of the summer (so far). No problem with this one, you take chances like this. Lakers even spent $$$. They got back into the draft and added a prospect that could start for them in a few years.

Definitely a long term project, he's pretty raw right now. Seems to second guess himself on when to pass, move, shoot, etc.

Again, he's 19 we'll have to groom him in the g-league so he gets PT.

Hope he pans out, looks like a good kid.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

I think it’s actually worse than that. Pelinka is managing the politics of staying in power by keeping Klutch and Jeanie happy. Now he’s under additional pressure to keep his job and year three of Max Christie or deep future picks are tomorrow’s failure. He’s still working in today’s.

Yeah, but these margin calls are unforgivable imho.

Cap space in 2019 to get THT and AC on 4 yr team friendly deals. Again, one’s a 19 y/o rookie and the other is a G-leaguer trying to make it to the pro level. We had the leverage to negotiate the terms in a team friendly deal. They didn’t! Klutch or no Klutch, we gave 2 years to THT which led to a tax ultimatum/conundrum of our own doing this last offseason between THT & Caruso. Meanwhile, the noob exec in Dallas just negotiated a 3yr deal with Rich/Klutch klient #37 overall pick Jaden Hardy to a rookie vet min deal where yr 3 is partially guaranteed & yr 4 dudes a RFA earmarking 1m from their tpMLE.

Meanwhile #35 overall pick MaxC gets a 2yr deal when he coulda got a similar deal as Jaden had we earmarked 1m from our tpMLE.

What’s ridic is we did the same thing the season before with Austin only that Nunn did leave roughly 890k from that tpMLE. Problem was, we needed 925k to get Austin on a 3yr rookie min deal…whoops!

Meanwhile, other teams get it and it’s funny cause we want to maximize our cap plans for 2018/19/Giannis & now 2023. Here’s a thought… Maybe you partially/completely nonguarantee those rookie min deals and/or include team options past year 2 of those deals. That ain’t on Klutch or Jeanie even with the tax. That’s entirely on Rob continuously #marginalizingthemargins!

Quote:
Josh Minott got part of the Minnesota Timberwolves Non-Taxpayer MLE in his four-year deal, a league source tells @spotrac. Four years at the minimum for Minott, the first two seasons are fully guaranteed. The second two seasons are non-guaranteed with late-June guarantee dates.

The Indiana Pacers gave Andrew Nembhard some of their cap space in a four-year deal, a league source tells @spotrac. All four years are fully guaranteed for Nembhard: 2022-23: $2.2M 2023-24: $2.1M 2024-25: $2M 2025-26: $2.2M The final season is also a team option.

But here we are trying to fast track development on our 19y/o rookies with 2 yr deals. Bruh?!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Coincidentally, same thoughts and motives they had in trading for Doug Christie in the day. He was the 17th pick in a strong draft (tho Pepperdine was a weaker conference), but West thought he had upside. He did, but was just a painfully slow developer. Forget years, it took TEAMS before he panned out.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

With the 2021 offseason being the year of the old guys and 2022 starting off in a different direction when it comes to free agency, there is no consistency at all from year to year. I get the sense that the lack of direction from off season to off season is because there are too many voices in the War room when it comes to making these decisions. At least it would make some sense because we cannot possibly be this clueless, can we?

Literally, there isn’t an identifiable pattern for what we would do in the off season next year. The only pattern is this grass is greener approach where heavy changes occur every off season
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

With the 2021 offseason being the year of the old guys and 2022 starting off in a different direction when it comes to free agency, there is no consistency at all from year to year. I get the sense that the lack of direction from off season to off season is because there are too many voices in the War room when it comes to making these decisions. At least it would make some sense because we cannot possibly be this clueless, can we?

Literally, there isn’t an identifiable pattern for what we would do in the off season next year. The only pattern is this grass is greener approach where heavy changes occur every off season

FWIW, I do see a pattern,
- "LeBron's getting older, lets try and win one, even if its mortgaging our future

Here's another one
- "Lets keep cap space for a MAX player" which means we give a lot of (short) 1-year deals..

nothing else matters
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject:

He's really thin right now, but he's got a 6'8.5 wingspan according to the scouting reports. If the Lakers set in good defensive habits for him, they should develop a 2-way player. THT is another guy with good wingspan. Not saying these guys are ready to start, but in a year or two from now, you could have a decent combo with THT/Christie as your small wings. Now you need an offense setting the table/creating PG and a big wing .....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject:

Very raw and when and if he develops, it will be with another team. I am not questioning his selection in the least, because our track record for late first and second round picks has been impressive to say the least.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
He's really thin right now, but he's got a 6'8.5 wingspan according to the scouting reports. If the Lakers set in good defensive habits for him, they should develop a 2-way player. THT is another guy with good wingspan. Not saying these guys are ready to start, but in a year or two from now, you could have a decent combo with THT/Christie as your small wings. Now you need an offense setting the table/creating PG and a big wing .....

Maybe, but as of now we have a stable full of shooting guards who aren't good at shooting. We need at least one of them to develop to above average or better. If I had to bet on one to develop an above average shot, it would be Reaves. He seems to have the mindset and determination to improve. At this point, I just don't know what to make of THT. Walker might finally get it together, I guess. It's not encouraging that Christie didn't shoot well even against summer league opposition.

At this point, our best shooting guard may be Nunn, but he's in a point guard's body. That's not ideal. We really need one of the other guys to develop a consistent, above average shot.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

You don't think using a 2nd year of a rookie year deal can be thought of as a "contract year" and players will step up to that?

DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

You don't think using a 2nd year of a rookie year deal can be thought of as a "contract year" and players will step up to that?

If you believe in him enough to draft him at 35 rather than a more ready player, its just mismanagement to not get a 19 year old stick on a longer contract.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

If you believe in him enough to draft him at 35 rather than a more ready player, its just mismanagement to not get a 19 year old stick on a longer contract.

I had him #32 on my draft list.

I disagree about the longer contract thing.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 14 of 49
Jump to: