Max Christie the Lakers 35th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

If we are seriously trying to contend, Max should be getting more minutes.

Already a good 3 and D rotation player.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject:

The progress Max has made from July to January is encouraging. He’s been taking on some tough defensive assignments defensively and though he gets rooked every now and then, holds his own. Offensively, he’s shooting with confidence. Not bad for a teenager.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject:

He seems to have put on some (good) weight and definitely has the potential for much more.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Glad he's gotten used to the NBA 3 point line.
Has been my favorite Lakers pick this year.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I am excited about him like I am cited about Austin Reaves they know how to find talent under rocks
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject:

He had some tough defensive assignments tonight, having to guard Huerter and Fox. He didn't do too badly, looking forward to seeing how that aspect of his game develops
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/rajchipalu/status/1612154021338550273?s=46&t=r_KLwjpMKlRLJqsO_qiixA
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/rajchipalu/status/1612154021338550273?s=46&t=r_KLwjpMKlRLJqsO_qiixA

Wonder if Max can turn into a Danny Green type player. Would need to add a lot of strength and get his shooting more consistent. But his ability to play around screens and apply back/side pressure in a funneling strategy are reminiscent.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
He's G-League talent, at best.

Care to provide specifics/explanation?

Sure. My specifics are the numbers that don't lie and the explanation is facts plus eye test. See link below for his stats in pre-season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4432582/max-christie

So those are my specifics (based on facts) and explanation.

Would you care to provide specifics/explanation for your assessment?

What does the eye test and facts say now ?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Impressed by this kid.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Nice game Mar. Max
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Good game, Max!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Did all he could. Good game from the youngin.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Hell be a really nice player in a couple of years. Already beneficial for us in the minutes he plays for the most part
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
He's G-League talent, at best.

Care to provide specifics/explanation?

Sure. My specifics are the numbers that don't lie and the explanation is facts plus eye test. See link below for his stats in pre-season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4432582/max-christie

So those are my specifics (based on facts) and explanation.

Would you care to provide specifics/explanation for your assessment?

What does the eye test and facts say now ?

I'm just genuinely confused by the rush to proclaim a 19 y.o. rookie a "...G-League talent, at best.", so early in his career? I myself have lauded him for his defensive acumen, and his nice shooting stroke. And, I've also said I can see him, potentially, turning into a valued 3&D guy. Nothing specific like a star, or anything. Way to early for all that. But, the base is there. Whether he rounds into a solid starter, reliable substitute, perennial journeyman/G-Leaguer, or even a star, has yet to be seen. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, so not knocking that. Just think its waaaaay too early to call this kids career, one way of the other.

But, I love the kids potential, if he stays hard working, and diligent.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject:

@sonic I agree. Especially when the “facts” were stats from garbage time at the beginning of the year lol
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Hell be a really nice player in a couple of years. Already beneficial for us in the minutes he plays for the most part

Too bad itll be for another team because Pelinka was a moron and didn’t give him a long cheap contract
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Too bad itll be for another team because Pelinka was a moron and didn’t give him a long cheap contract

It's strange. Christie is the only second round pick who got at least two guaranteed years, where the team didn't get an option on the third year.

Really can't understand how Rob didn't get the option year like every other GM.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

It's strange. Christie is the only second round pick who got at least two guaranteed years, where the team didn't get an option on the third year.

Ex agent doing agent favors over helping his own ball club. Not hard to understand
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Ex agent doing agent favors over helping his own ball club. Not hard to understand

Is that just something you are pulling out of your behind, or do you have anything to substantiate it?

Because if it’s just an assumption you’re making based on nothing, it makes no sense at all to me.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Is that just something you are pulling out of your behind, or do you have anything to substantiate it?

Because if it’s just an assumption you’re making based on nothing, it makes no sense at all to me.

Haha still not hard to understand. Read ur own post and understand max only guy to get the 2 year old
Understand that other 2 previous 2nd Rd/undrafted guys got the same deal in tht and reeves.

Maybe what I am pulling out of my behind is the truth. Lol
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

Haha still not hard to understand. Read ur own post and understand max only guy to get the 2 year old
Understand that other 2 previous 2nd Rd/undrafted guys got the same deal in tht and reeves.

What I don't understand is, what's the problem with signing Christie to a two year deal? After those two years, Christie will fall under the Arenas Provision, and the Early Bird Exception. So, there should beno issue in re-signing him, if the Lakers choose to.

Sometimes, I really get the feeling that people come on here to complain, and bag on people, just because... Whatever floats your boat.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Glad he's gotten used to the NBA 3 point line.
Has been my favorite Lakers pick this year.

It says something about the kid how quickly he got used to the NBA 3 point line. It took some of our top rookies (BI, Lonzo, etc) a long time to make that adjustment. Maybe even a few years.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

What I don't understand is, what's the problem with signing Christie to a two year deal? After those two years, Christie will fall under the Arenas Provision, and the Early Bird Exception. So, there should beno issue in re-signing him, if the Lakers choose to.

Sometimes, I really get the feeling that people come on here to complain, and bag on people, just because... Whatever floats your boat.

Because you are paying more when you dont have to.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DD20045 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:

It’s actually not that hard to understand at all Sonic. It’s continuous deals like this that causes your chances at a champion-ship to capsize.

19 y/o rookies typically don’t have leverage to demand certain terms to their deal. So getting them on longer team friendly deals holds a lot more benefits to both the team & the player especially when said team is floating the idea of being top heavy. What would you rather do in addressing the remainder of your roster: 1 yr stop gap vet mins or lengthy rookie min deals towards young developmental players? It’s our continuous ignorance at marginalizing the margins that has us sinking in deNile (<—okay that one’s just lazy writing, but it’s still an oldie & a goodie haha).

Come to the table with these young players and describe to them the benefits of a 2yr deal vs a 3yr+ deal:

2yr rookie min:

Pros
Earn early bird rights
Could earn 8 figure salaries quicker by hitting FA quicker

Cons
After 2yrs on the min, if home team turns to the early bird exception to retain player, that deal has to be a minimum of 2yrs in length at a potentially lower price point. For example, coming off the rookie min, the player can make 175% in a raise over his previous deal aka ~3m or 105% of whatever the NBA average salary is aka ~12m

3yr rookie min:
Cons
Need to wait at least 1 more year longer to get the bag
1 more yr of injury management that could hurt your earning potential

Pros
Earn full bird rights
Could earn much more over same time span than a 2yr/early bird route;
For example:
Year3 when early bird deal kicks in after 2yr rookie min: 12m
Year4 where a 2yr deal is required in using early bird exception: 13m (8% annual escalator)

VS
Year3 of rookie min: 2.1m
Year4 when full bird deal kicks in: up to 34m (eligible for 25% max via full bird rights)

So after 4 years going the early bird route, a rookie is capped at making roughly 28m at the very most using next summer’s potential salary cap of 136m VS after 4 years of going the full bird route, a rookie can max out their bag at about 39m

Of course, this example is not the typical route and doesn’t consider designated rookie max considerations, but imho it’s mutually beneficial to the team & player to get to full bird right status and should be the means in initial negotiations with the 19y/o rookie upon getting drafted.

Starting back to TB at the 42nd overall pick, this FO has shown time and time again they refuse to address our margin calls with cheap developmental players and rather go the aged namer route on 1yr vet min pacts instead…so TB’s 1yr rookie min deal resulted in a waive & losing dude over a 1.38m caphold, then AC was lost after a 2yr deal when we had cap space in 2019 to ink oh boy to a 4yr deal, 46th overall pick THT was the result of that ultimatum during 2021 free agency when we lost AC for nothing and why…cause of the 2yr/early bird route…undrafted Reaves is now on a 2yr rookie min deal when he could have just as easily been on a 3yr deal and then came Max with another 2yr min pact.

Gross negligence from our FO in addressing the margin calls has me $easick…they need to be tossed overboard, but I’m a nice guy so toss em a floatie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 20 of 49
Jump to: