View previous topic :: View next topic  
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The old man came through in a tie-breaker. Rafa's playing on one foot. He's showing the heart of a warrior.

#11 T. Fritz 6 5 6 5 6 4

#2 R. Nadal 3 7 3 7 7 10

so hard to watch. nadal is on my all time Mt rushmore for sports I know he's close to the end, I just want this Wimbledon for him. That was so stressful

I like Rafa too. I don't think he'll be able to beat Novak Djokovic.

He needs to beat Kyrgios first, which can be a tall task - depending on the moon phase Kyrgios wakes up in.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The old man came through in a tie-breaker. Rafa's playing on one foot. He's showing the heart of a warrior.

#11 T. Fritz 6 5 6 5 6 4

#2 R. Nadal 3 7 3 7 7 10

so hard to watch. nadal is on my all time Mt rushmore for sports I know he's close to the end, I just want this Wimbledon for him. That was so stressful

I like Rafa too. I don't think he'll be able to beat Novak Djokovic.

He needs to beat Kyrgios first, which can be a tall task - depending on the moon phase Kyrgios wakes up in.

I want him to win, but winning that match, as stressful as it was, was huge relief. he's hurt, but he is also a warrior. Fingers crossed because to your point Kyrgios is really good.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Welp. Kyrgios may get the greatest title in tennis.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I've heard some people say that they think Kyrgios is good for tennis. Even though he can be arrogant, disrespectful, etc., he also brings a lot of attention / eyeballs to the sport.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I've heard some people say that they think Kyrgios is good for tennis. Even though he can be arrogant, disrespectful, etc., he also brings a lot of attention / eyeballs to the sport.

He can be quite funny at times as well. So it is not all bad. I usually don't follow tennis a lot - but I watched more tennis than ever this years Wimbledon and Kyrgios is definitely one of the reasons. But if he drowns in his anger and it is not about tennis anymore I usually tune out as well. But if he takes the match serious it is fun to watch his talent and craziness - 138mph second serves...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Novac quieted the predominately Cameron crowd. Joker seems to be the most disliked player on the tour. I didn't like him in the past, I do now. When he controls his emotions he's the best player on the tour. I think he'll take home his 7th Gentleman's Singles Trophy.

#1 N. Djokovic 2 6 6 6

#9 C. Norrie 6 3 2 4

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

Looks like Ons Jabeur needs some mental training.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

After the first set, I thought Ryabinka was the one having the mental breakdown. Glad I watched the entire match.

I'm going to keep an eye on Ryabinka in the upcoming U.S. tournaments.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Ons definitely missed an opportunity, but big credit to Rybakina who I just knew as a quiet sometimes nervous big hitter. Never thought she was so thoughtful on the court adapting her game, as ambitious as she turned out to be, could move as well as she did, and was so mentally tough. The thing I saw most was a really pleasing desire to go for it whatever it takes. That's so lacking in other top players. She really was like a shark seeing blood in the water. Then Jabeur responded sometimes, and the Russian was right there not letting down a bit, even when down triple break point. She was ambitious and did not just want a nice story of getting to the final and then going away. She wanted to write her own story. I love it.

Think it will be possibly good for talented Ons because it looked like she just wanted to have it easy and expect the other player to give it to her. Nope. She took it from Ons and it should sting. And Ons should come back with a lot less carelessness on big points, and less pouting and more fight. More tighte execution. And I think she will earn her Wimbledon title in the future not get gifted it. Iga's going to get better on grass someday enough to compete for the title, Rybakina's going to be likely really great on grass for her career, with the confidence maybe pushing her to a whole new level permanently, at least on grass. Halep will be around with her grass knowledge, and Raducanu, Coco, and Anisimova, and hopefully Andreescu will maybe get much better to compete for the title in the final. But Ons should always be a guaranteed semifinalist at Wimbledon, and finalist sometimes, and should get one or more.It will be a more determined, better executing Ons that does I think. Maybe next year.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
After the first set, I thought Ryabinka was the one having the mental breakdown. Glad I watched the entire match.

I'm going to keep an eye on Ryabinka in the upcoming U.S. tournaments.
I think tennis fans will have to. I wonder if she's going to be consistent in having her serve as a weapon on any surface from now on. She seems pretty hungry to win. I was really surprised by her actually coming to the net on non-drop shots in set two and three. Adapting. In general over the next 12 months, I expect her to do better postfirstSlam than younger, less experienced Raducanu.

Hard court swing has plenty of players and plenty of storylines. Who has relative weaponry there? Swiatek, Rybakina, of course Osaka, perhaps Andreescu by the end of the hard court swing, Badosa, and maybe Aussie finalist Danielle Collins. Couple others could surprise. Ons maybe.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Lastly, even if Rybakina had not made the final, much less won, this Wimbledon ban of Russian and Belarus players was a wrong decision, and dumb on top of it. Rybakina represents Kazakhstan but is Russian, lives in Moscow, trains there, born in Russia.
And good job and breakthrough to both her, and also to Ons, what a story just getting to the final is for someone of her background. Keep going.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

You know Djoker has got to be thanking his lucky stars at getting to play Kyrgios over Nadal...
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
You know Djoker has got to be thanking his lucky stars at getting to play Kyrgios over Nadal...

So far he never won a match against Kyrgios, I think. It might come down to Kyrgios playing tennis or not.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

On grass?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

That was easy

Quote:
STAT OF THE DAY: NOVAK DJOKOVIC IS THE FIRST MAN EVER TO WIN TWO DIFFERENT GRAND SLAMS 7 TIMES EACH

Australian Open - 9
Wimbledon - 7,
US Open - 3
French Open - 2

Quote:
Novak Djokovic handed Australian Open boost as rule change opens door for return

Novak Djokovic was denied the opportunity to compete at the Australian Open earlier this year but a rule change may allow him to compete at Melbourne Park next year

4 Jul 2022

Novak Djokovic may be able to compete for a 10th Australian Open title next year. The Serb’s slim chances of playing at Melbourne Park in 2023 appear to have been given a boost despite being banned from the country for three years due to being unvaccinated and the deportation drama earlier this year.

But according to ABC, Djokovic could be back in Australia as early as this summer after the new Labor relaxed its rules on international arrivals. Health Minister Mark Butler said over the weekend that from July 6 foreign travellers will no longer have to declare their COVID-19 vaccination status upon entering Australia.

"The Chief Medical Officer has advised it is no longer necessary for travellers to declare their vaccine status as part of our management of COVID," he said. The report also stated that the tennis legend’s team have been informed about the changes and are said to be putting plans in place to apply for a new visa. This will be based on grounds that the reasons for the visa cancellation no longer apply.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/novak-djokovic-australian-open-boost-27396006

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

Rafa's injury is nerve-related. I know he took shots daily to help with the pain. I wonder if there is an operation that could cure his malady? Being that its nerves it seems unlikely.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

That third set was not especially entertaining to watch, but the rest was a decent final. Congrats to Djokovic for returning those serves and Kyrgios for playing tennis (mostly).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic trivia;

Quote:
Djokovic was the first tennis player to earn more than 150 million US dollars in prize money, and has earned more than any other player across his career. Djokovic's 2011 season, during which he went on a 41–match winning streak, is considered to be one of the greatest seasons by a tennis player in the Open Era.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Djokovic back on top after his weird year. Hope he gets vaxxed to play in US swing and in NY, but doesn't seem like he'll be vaxxed or permitted to play. His choice but it's too bad. Guy is only player to have 7 slams at two different Slam tournaments. Crazy. Ties Sampras, one less than Federer at Wimbledon? Had no idea he had that many.

I think Alcaraz is going to make a lot of noise in hard court swing, along with Medvedev. Should be some fun battles even before the Open, even without Djokovic. Hopefully Rafa will be healed and ready to go.

I hope it stings Kyrgios in a positive way to play so well and be close but no cigar. He can still be a Slam winner as soon as the fall if he wants it. But commitment will as always be the issue.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
I hope it stings Kyrgios in a positive way to play so well and be close but no cigar. He can still be a Slam winner as soon as the fall if he wants it. But commitment will as always be the issue.

He was talking about just that in the post match press conference:
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
focus wrote:

He was talking about just that in the post match press conference:

Pretty interesting response. Seems like he does have some new hunger. However, Wimbledon usually has a few more obstacles to overcome...Medvedev and other banned players, Rafa's injury, and most of all rain delays and ebbs and flows of momentum and emotion with that. Remains to be seen how and whether he would persevere. In other words, it's generally harder to get to the final than he had this year. Still, really good to hear that response. He can see for a fact, not hypothetically, that his level is right there, that he has some advantages, that he can come out and play well in a Slam and in a Slam final against arguably the GOAT. Not hugely far mental step to real commitment.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject:

Djoker has said he has no plans to get vaccinated in order to be eligible for the US Open. We'll see what happens at the AO.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Djoker has said he has no plans to get vaccinated in order to be eligible for the US Open. We'll see what happens at the AO.

Djokovic down to #7 in rank because of no points from this year's Wimbledon (others too). It'll keep going down during hardcourt swing even before US Open, and then he'll lose those finalist points there, too. He's adamant about staying unvaxxed it seems, so
I don't get how he played last year though in NY, and this year in London, from a national policy perspective. Why did govt let him play last year in NY, and why did UK ok with this year? Guess it means we went back to a stricter COVID stance in the interim? Maybe the US will change it similar to UK's current policy.

Anyway, without him, it's too bad for hard court swing, but there are still plenty of good stories on men's side. Medvedev, Alcaraz, Rafa hopeful recovery, Sinner, what will Kyrgios do.
Women's maybe equally interesting. Rybakina and Jabeur, Swiatek on hard courts, Osaka, Serena!, Collins, Coco. Good stuff.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject:

[quote="focus"]
ChickenStu wrote:
I don't get how he played last year though in NY, and this year in London, from a national policy perspective. Why did govt let him play last year in NY, and why did UK ok with this year? Guess it means we went back to a stricter COVID stance in the interim? Maybe the US will change it similar to UK's current policy.

My guess is, vaccines rolled out in the US last year around February? And that's the first dose. I don't know when other countries got the vaccines but it was after the US. So, I don't think there was a vaccine requirement yet for foreigners entering the US due to the vaccines not being readily available worldwide yet.

I think there was only a negative test requirement back then.

That's my guess. This year, it's expected to be available worldwide so there's a negative test requirement and a vaccination requirement.

It's either that or he had an exemption last year somehow.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

DOUBLE POST

I haven't been watching Serena, though I want to, for the same reason I didn't post in the game thread when the Lakers were on a winning streak, I don't want to jinx either. I'm torn about watching Serena tonight. If I do and she loses I'll be very sad. I think I'll record the match.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: