Kyrie Irving - Staying in Dallas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
If you swap Kyrie in for DLO this season (while still having Vanderbilt, Rui, etc.), do we win the championship? One way of thinking about it is that we lost the Nuggets games by a few points each with DLO averaging 6.3 ppg in the series. So Kyrie even averaging 16 would make them all victories.

for that Denver series, we probably win it if you swap DLO with Brick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
If you swap Kyrie in for DLO this season (while still having Vanderbilt, Rui, etc.), do we win the championship? One way of thinking about it is that we lost the Nuggets games by a few points each with DLO averaging 6.3 ppg in the series. So Kyrie even averaging 16 would make them all victories.

Except we wouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place. That's the problem here.

With our depth, we may be capped at WCF.

Without depth, we can't make the playoffs.

Hard to thread the needle to get both depth and that silver bullet to take us to the championship.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Is patience called for with an aging star in Lebron who hasn’t been healthy in any full season here and could have foot surgery this offseason? Along with AD who has the same physical impairments but is a lesser player than Lebron?

Yes. I'm talking about a 2 3 year plan. Life after LBJ. Look for an adequate AD speller. I'm not a real fan of time management but in AD's case I chose an exception.

I actually agree that chasing a third star, particularly one as unreliable as Kyrie, isn’t the correct way to proceed. Especially if it includes trading young players/picks.

OKAY

Where I disagree is saying that the organization is close to a title, everything broke right for them this offseason and they ended up being swept.

I also said "A little tweak here and there would make us a serious contender without a superstar." If we get decent perimeter shooters I think we'll be in the running.

Lebron might have 2 seasons, same for AD. Let’s keep all of the current and potential assets for when we no longer have Lebron.

I said my life after LBJ is 2 3 years plan, thus patience. I think AD has some miles left with proper off-season work and time management.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Why do so many want a Luka, Tyrie, or any superstar? We're LINK close to being a contender with what we have. Getting a superstar might mean breaking up our core.

We don't need a superstar. We need decent perimeter shooters. I remember what we accomplished with the crew we have. A little tweak here and there would make us a serious contender without a superstar.

Give Wayne Ellington some PT to build his confidence. Look at Sweet Lou Williams. I know he's a bit long in tooth but he's still a sniper. There are good shooters becoming FA next season. Look around. Put the work in. Win now is what got us into the mess we're in. I can't emphasize enough how important patience is.

What in the world did I just read... Wayne Ellington and Lou Williams? You think those two are the difference in WCF versus # 18?

You read give Ellington some PT to boost his confidence and Williams is still a good perimeter shooter. Those are 2 tweaks, not fixes. What did you interpret?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Except we wouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place. That's the problem here.

Hard to thread the needle to get both depth and that silver bullet to take us to the championship.

did you miss the part i said "for Denver series"? it is all hypothetical, and was just to show how bad of a series DLO had.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

did you miss the part i said "for Denver series"? it is all hypothetical, and was just to show how bad of a series DLO had.

Well, what's the use in that? It's a series of personnel moves and if you have Kyrie, you won't have a whole bunch of other things.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

I am totally against bring Kyrie Irving to the Lakers

This is not complicated run the team that had the best record in the league after the trade deadline back for another year

Just bring in a legitimate center so that Anthony Davis doesn’t have to guard actual Bigs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Well, what's the use in that? It's a series of personnel moves and if you have Kyrie, you won't have a whole bunch of other things.

Hypothetically, with Kyrie on board Murray would have averaged 50+ ppg. Hypothetically.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Hypothetically, with Kyrie on board Murray would have averaged 50+ ppg. Hypothetically.

Also hypothetically Murray wouldn’t have been in the paint to block Bron and you wouldn’t have had people like Brown targeting Russell.

If you think Russell was a great pick and roll wizard with AD, then imagine what Kyrie would do with him. I mean at the end of the day Russell did not play every regular season game and could not play in the last round. Vando could not play in round 2 and 3 but he helped in the season. Bamba didn’t play at all. Troy and Malik played in the season but could not play all postseason. Wenyen played the season but could not play all postseason.

If you have AD, Rui, Lonnie, Reaves, Denis , Kyrie, and Gabriel post all star break you probably have a solid team.

AD had the best record and best defense with his constant rotation being Troy, Rui, Gabriel, Denis, Reaves, Vando, Beasley … with Bron out 5 weeks and Russell out half the time.

But it’s hard to argue a playoff rotation or Denis, Kyrie, Reaves, Bron, AD, Rui, Lonnie isn’t playing all 3 rounds and winning games when Kyrie led the league in fourth quarter scoring and AD led the league in defense basically. Even for all Kyries faults, he had a winning record without Luka with the mavs spare parts and he led the team in scoring in fourth quarters when Luka returned.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Also hypothetically Murray wouldn’t have been in the paint to block Bron and you wouldn’t have had people like Brown targeting Russell.

If you think Russell was a great pick and roll wizard with AD, then imagine what Kyrie would do with him. I mean at the end of the day Russell did not play every regular season game and could not play in the last round. Vando could not play in round 2 and 3 but he helped in the season. Bamba didn’t play at all. Troy and Malik played in the season but could not play all postseason. Wenyen played the season but could not play all postseason.

If you have AD, Rui, Lonnie, Reaves, Denis , Kyrie, and Gabriel post all star break you probably have a solid team.

AD had the best record and best defense with his constant rotation being Troy, Rui, Gabriel, Denis, Reaves, Vando, Beasley … with Bron out 5 weeks and Russell out half the time.

But it’s hard to argue a playoff rotation or Denis, Kyrie, Reaves, Bron, AD, Rui, Lonnie isn’t playing all 3 rounds and winning games when Kyrie led the league in fourth quarter scoring and AD led the league in defense basically. Even for all Kyries faults, he had a winning record without Luka with the mavs spare parts and he led the team in scoring in fourth quarters when Luka returned.

Seems what you outline should be pretty straight forward. I get that some don’t like and/or don’t want Kyrie, but make no mistake about it, his addition would likely make the Lakers a much better team and so many appear to be in denial about that. Even regarding the lack of depth in acquiring him is exaggerated since the pieces used to acquire him mostly got DNP CD in the last game.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Seems what you outline should be pretty straight forward. I get that some don’t like and/or don’t want Kyrie, but make no mistake about it, his addition would likely make the Lakers a much better team and so many appear to be in denial about that. Even regarding the lack of depth in acquiring him is exaggerated since the pieces used mostly got DNP CD in the last game.

I’m not in the like Kyrie camp but yeah his skill and results speak for themselves. He had a winning record in Dallas without Luka playing iso or hero ball with a spread floor. Even when they played together or when he played with KD he led the whole league in fourth quarter scoring.

He just brings a handful of things on the court like ball handling, at the rim package, shooting, and fourth quarter scoring that we lacked. And with the way AD played defense the last 48 games, and AD was available 48 out the last possible 51 he would be different. AD led the league in rebounding. You give him a guy who he knows can get you 20-30 a night and he’s winning games.

Bron could pretty much fill in the gaps with Kyries offense and ADs defense. Then Reaves, Denis, Rui, and company would all do what they do. There’s no argument really because Kyrie had no problem letting JR smith dance with the ball, so Reaves would still play with it in his hands. It’s just a weird thing to argue what Kyrie on the court brings including someone who has no problem yelling at Bron when he does things, as he did that before. And Bron did need someone to yell at him with his 3 point hero balls. AD needs someone to protect him in the media at times from slander and Kyrie has no issue with calling out the media either, even in Boston when Tatum and Smart were criticized he talked about the media.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject:

^ Again, that's like saying "what if Westbrook was there instead of DLO."

Doesn't work that way. The opportunity cost of Kyrie is staggering since he wants his max money. So I'm not sure we make the playoffs with Kyrie minus depth, and if we got in the playoffs, not sure we even advance past the Grizz.

Ky at S&T (47m, using trade costs for this summer) would mean we can't afford Rui, no Dennis (b/c we likely can't afford TPMLE), etc. No way we are moving to WCF without those two.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject:

Seems what you outline should be pretty straight forward. I get that some don’t like and/or don’t want Kyrie, but make no mistake about it, his addition would likely make the Lakers a much better team and so many appear to be in denial about that. Even regarding the lack of depth in acquiring him is exaggerated since the pieces used to acquire him mostly got DNP CD in the last game.

The pieces that Dallas would never accept in a Kyrie trade?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject:

Why am I having a feeling of deja vu with these posts?

All those advocating for “ going all in” on Irving will likely be the same ones complaining about Pelinka and Ham by mid-season when this Irving plan face plants.

We can just re-tread all the Westbrook threads concerning how incompetent the GM is, how the HC is mismanaging the roster or bemoaning the lack of depth.

Another summer of this. Oh yeah!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I get that some don’t like and/or don’t want Kyrie, but make no mistake about it, his addition would likely make the Lakers a much better team and so many appear to be in denial about that.

Like he made Dallas much better?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

All those advocating for “ going all in” on Irving will likely be the same ones complaining about Pelinka and Ham by mid-season when this Irving plan face plants.

We can just re-tread all the Westbrook threads concerning how incompetent the GM is, how the HC is mismanaging the roster or bemoaning the lack of depth.

It is very clear that people have an idea of who Kyrie is as a player that is very different from the reality of him as a player.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
I get that some don’t like and/or don’t want Kyrie, but make no mistake about it, his addition would likely make the Lakers a much better team and so many appear to be in denial about that.

Like he made Dallas much better?

Or Brooklyn? Or the Celtics? Kyrie is a losing player at this point. Misses a crazy amount of games and puts up empty stats. He’s also seemingly legit insane. So there’s that.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject:

I really don't want Crazy Kyrie on the Lakers.

Pretty tired of the princess superstars.

Much prefer the kind of hard-working, less flashy players on teams like the Nuggets, Bucks and Heat.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I haven’t seen ANYONE saying go all in on Kyrie. It’s part of the deception by those in denial to describe how he’s not worth it to pretend fans are advocating something they are not doing. Whether Kyrie is worth it or not depends on what is given up to get him and going all in on Kyrie would be a mistake. Furthermore, Cuban may not accept a trade with the Lakers for anything other than going all in so it’s likely a no-go for me.

The point being made is that a trade of Kyrie for Dlo/Beasley/Vandi/Mo/17th would be a good trade for both teams and likely make both teams win more games but a trade that included AR/Rui would be a bad one for the Lakers. I wouldn’t even include Schro in the trade if Dlo is included. In fact, I’d have to make sure Schro is coming back BEFOREHAND to sign off on a deal for Kyrie.

What you are complaining about is not what’s being opined, you are complaining about a reality that only you likely created in your mind. If I couldn’t get Kyrie and keep all of Schro/AR/LWIV/LBJ/Rui/AD…all of them, every single one…then I tell Cuban and the Mavs to take a hike!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who is wanting Kyrie shows me they have no clue about the guy, his game and what he has done to every franchise he has been a part of.

Clueless committee in the house…
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Anyone who is wanting Kyrie shows me they have no clue about the guy, his game and what he has done to every franchise he has been a part of.

Clueless committee in the house…

Those that are totally for it and those totally against it are equally clueless imo. The rational thinkers who are able to ascend above emotional biases are able to perceive the situation on a higher plane. A player that flakes out in Cleve, Boston, Brooklyn, and failed to make Dallas a better team despite playing well individually has to be considered a serious risk. That’s one side of the story. The other side…27/5/5 and near 50/40/90 club most years.

It’s not hard to see both sides if emotions are overcome. Depending on the price the risk could be worth it, depending on the price the risk could be a disaster if any team placed their trust in Kyrie. Anyone that swears by either side, ignoring the other, is in denial.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I haven’t seen ANYONE saying go all in on Kyrie. It’s part of the deception by those in denial to describe how he’s not worth it to pretend fans are advocating something they are not doing. Whether Kyrie is worth it or not depends on what is given up to get him and going all in on Kyrie would be a mistake. Furthermore, Cuban may not accept a trade with the Lakers for anything other than going all in so it’s likely a no-go for me.

The point being made is that a trade of Kyrie for Dlo/Beasley/Vandi/Mo/17th would be a good trade for both teams and likely make both teams win more games but a trade that included AR/Rui would be a bad one for the Lakers. I wouldn’t even include Schro in the trade if Dlo is included. In fact, I’d have to make sure Schro is coming back BEFOREHAND to sign off on a deal for Kyrie.

What you are complaining about is not what’s being opined, you are complaining about a reality that only you likely created in your mind. If I couldn’t get Kyrie and keep all of Schro/AR/LWIV/LBJ/Rui/AD…all of them, every single one…then I tell Cuban and the Mavs to take a hike!

Kyrie is going to demand (and already has) a max salary. Either the Lakers agree to that or Kyrie isn’t a Laker.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Kyrie is going to demand (and already has) a max salary. Either the Lakers agree to that or Kyrie isn’t a Laker.

I’m completely fine with Kyrie not being a Laker. His risk is so high I’d only take the risk if the price and assets given up mitigates the risk to the point where the Lakers could survive if he flakes out. Otherwise I’m going in another direction. For example…I wouldn’t add Kyrie if it meant losing Schro/LWIV/AR because I need them as insurance against the flake out possibilities. In an emergency I could roll with just Schro/LWIV/AR and be alright. I also wouldn’t sacrifice Rui.

The reality of the situation is that Cuban isn’t likely to trade Kyrie to the Lakers for what I’d only be willing to give up in a trade. So…if that’s the case I don’t want Kyrie. If, however, Cuban would trade Kyrie to the Lakers because he realized the Mavs are screwed, for DNP CD players and Dlo then I’d consider it. Either way it isn’t likely and I’m fine with passing on what looks like a head case.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Doesn't work that way. The opportunity cost of Kyrie is staggering since he wants his max money. So I'm not sure we make the playoffs with Kyrie minus depth, and if we got in the playoffs, not sure we even advance past the Grizz.

Ky at S&T (47m, using trade costs for this summer) would mean we can't afford Rui, no Dennis (b/c we likely can't afford TPMLE), etc. No way we are moving to WCF without those two.

I also wonder if adding Kyrie historically means your team might become worse instead of better. Ultra talented player but his track record is what it is as is his bloated salary.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I also wonder if adding Kyrie historically means your team might become worse instead of better. Ultra talented player but his track record is what it is as is his bloated salary.

Yes, the team looks like it becomes worse with Kyrie if some depth is sacrificed, specifically Schro/AR/LWIV/Rui. The team looks like it would be much better with Kyrie if some depth is maintained with better 3pt shooting, best in league 4th qtr scoring, a better closer, excellent play making, and better shooting over all with iso scoring capabilities.

The trick tho is Cuban isn’t likely to send him to us for only what we’re willing to give up…only the players we couldn’t use in the WCF…so it isn’t realistic to think he’ll be added.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 70 of 72
Jump to: