THOMAS BRYANT is Back with Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject:

TB was earning 8 M+ a season ago. He knew he had to take min after injury issues. But why would he sign 2 year deal/team option on minimum salary rather than betting on himself to play decent and earn more than vet min next season? Players and agents are not that dumb for GMs to fleece them so easily.

This has been a great signing by Pelinka. Problem has been him and Magic before letting go of our 2nd round/undrafted gems so easily when we had the bird rights. Zubac, TB, Caruso.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject:

High praise from Bron:

https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/1611975261620404227?t=fXh_4-1e-x8JQefAf6zpXQ&s=19
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

In the fine words of Teddy KGB... "Pay that man his money."
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Incredible signing. High-level offensive impact player

Him and Schroder being in a groove is single-handidly winning us games
#18 next...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Freaking love this guy, and was my favorite signing in that offseason by far.

A shame that Pelinka has zero foresight to not also have him on a team option for another season. That would have been what an actual good GM would do.

Agree. He’s probably gone.

No idea why people assume the Lakers will have no money when Westbrook's contract comes off the books this off-season.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
No idea why people assume the Lakers will have no money when Westbrook's contract comes off the books this off-season.

They'll have like $30m in cap space probably. But the only people who will be under contract are Lebron, AD, Christie, and Jones. They will have early bird rights for Reaves, but not for anyone else other than Wenyen and Russ.

So if you want to bring any of the other guys back, it's going to eat into the cap space. The only other route is maybe if you bring back a guy like Bryant, he may command MLE money. They could use their exception on him and sign him after free agency. If Jeanie is willing to pay the tax. But there's no guarantee of that.

Most likely next season the Lakers will go after the biggest name they can get, and they will eat up pretty much all of their cap space. Hopefully they at least bring back Reaves afterwards. Then they'll have their MLE and a new band of merry minimums.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject:

If Kyrie renews with Nets, there won't be any star FA available in the market. And if Lakers end up having a good season, we might be inclined to use the cap space on DS, TB etc. And maybe even bring back Russ if he accepts being a 6th man again.
dino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject:

getting thomas and dennis back from their injuries to begin the season was like swinging a major trade for the lakers...

completely changed the team's trajectory...
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Megaton wrote:

A shame that Pelinka has zero foresight to not also have him on a team option for another season. That would have been what an actual good GM would do.

Nobody said Lakers won't have the money, it's just the Lakers won't use it well. Instead they will pursue their 3rd star and let the keepers we have on the team go just like Alex Caruso.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Why would any player agree to a team option on a vet min? You gotta to make some sense
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Why would any player agree to a team option on a vet min? You gotta to make some sense

When no other team wanted to sign him last off-season?

How is it that other teams get away with it but Lakers can’t? Like Rockets with Kenyon Martin Jr? Clippers with Luke Kennard, Jazz with Malik Beasley, Pacers with Daniel Theis, Kevin Knox with the Pistons, Derrick freaking Rose is on a team option after this season with the Knicks.

I know it’s been awhile here for most people, or maybe some of the younger fans, but good GMs that make those kinda deals, do actually exist. I know, shocking! But unfortunately, Pelinka ain’t one of them.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

How is it that other teams get away with it but Lakers can’t? Like Rockets with Kenyon Martin Jr? Clippers with Luke Kennard, Jazz with Malik Beasley, Pacers with Daniel Theis, Kevin Knox with the Pistons, Derrick freaking Rose is on a team option after this season with the Knicks.

I know it’s been awhile here for most people, or maybe some of the younger fans, but good GMs that make those kinda deals, do actually exist. I know, shocking! But unfortunately, Pelinka ain’t one of them.

I think the part you're missing is, was that option even available. None of us know how those negotiations went. Granted, it could be true that Pelinka lacks forethought, and never offered said 2 year, team option contracts. On the flip side, it could be that he DID make a team friendly offer, and the player/agent declined. Right now, people are allowing their negative perspective of Pelinka/FO to make judgements, thus resulting in unfavorable assumptions.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

None of the players you mentioned is on Vet min. There is absolutely zero logic for TB to agree to a vet min contract with a team option for second year. , he may do it for a player option.
If you are so bad at logic, let me help you
From Tb’s side-(had he agree to a team option on a vet min)
If he plays good this season, lakers exercise option, he is getting paid for vet min a second year in a row
If he plays bad, lakers decline option, he is getting nothing
No team option scenario-
If he plays good this season, lakers will have to pay him more than vet min(much more)
If he plays bad, he is getting nothing.
So he plays bad, he is getting nothing regardless, but if he plays good, he loses a lot of money…

Find better ways to blame Pelinka
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject:

Would we rather have T Bryant or C Wood on the Lakers at this very moment?
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject:

If you didn’t already love this guy, watch this post-game video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UK70poLx1HY

My goodness. Sign this guy long term. I love everything about him. Might have to get a jersey.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Megaton wrote:

If the Lakers don’t renounce the cap holds of Reaves and the FRP, they will have $27.6 mil of cap space.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I didn't say they wouldn't have money. however if you pay both guys our team will be identical with the exception of Russ who has been an excellent 6th.

That means we are hostage yet again to Brons age (which we still have seen where it nets us yet) and AD's brittleness. But if FO wants a 3rd guy I find it hard to believe we can sign the guys that have been solid.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
MJST wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I didn't say they wouldn't have money. however if you pay both guys our team will be identical with the exception of Russ who has been an excellent 6th.

That means we are hostage yet again to Brons age (which we still have seen where it nets us yet) and AD's brittleness. But if FO wants a 3rd guy I find it hard to believe we can sign the guys that have been solid.

The problem with this FO is the Lakers shouldn’t want a 3rd star. The formula for the Lakers has been two superstars, and a good supporting cast. That’s been this way since Magic/Kareem.

Lakers trying anything more than that always falls flat on their face. See Karl Malone and Gary Payton added to Kobe and Shaq, Dwight Howard and Nash added to Kobe and Pau as an example. And of course most recently, Westbrook to AD and Lebron.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Would we rather have T Bryant or C Wood on the Lakers at this very moment?

I have big time issues with people taking up huge salary spaces who has motor issues. That's why Houston wasn't sold on him, and he and Dallas hasn't agreed to terms. A player like C Wood won't take long before Laker Nation crap on him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A stat I find fascinating: Cleaning the Glass says LeBron and Russ have a plus-7.5 net rating on the court together this season, which is good.

If you filter those minutes to just the 221 possessions with Thomas Bryant on the floor as well, the net rating jumps to plus-19.4.

giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I think TB has a positive effect on RWB, he looks energized and motivated playing with TB.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
I think TB has a positive effect on RWB, he looks energized and motivated playing with TB.

And vice versa RW makes bigs and when on wiz, prior to injury TB was this guy next to rw
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Trade Russ, Bev, Nunn, Jones, Pick(s) for the best talent we can now before they expire and walk. Then bring back TB, DS, and Austin bc IMO those 3 can be great pieces for us going forward as part of an 8 man core.

Fully expecting we lose him for nothing but I hope not bc the kid is really good;
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Trade Russ, Bev, Nunn, Jones, Pick(s) for the best talent we can now before they expire and walk. Then bring back TB, DS, and Austin bc IMO those 3 can be great pieces for us going forward as part of an 8 man core.

Fully expecting we lose him for nothing but I hope not bc the kid is really good;
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

If the Lakers had demanded an team option for another year on a minimum contract, Bryant would be a Celtic or a Buck right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17
Jump to: