THOMAS BRYANT is Back with Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 29474

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
2019 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
https://youtu.be/vdF0tMWEmt0?t=49

No lift at all.

SMH


Higher jumpball win% than Myles Turner

Myles 37.6%
Bryant 42.9%

https://nbastatr.com/jump-ball-stats/


It's weird that you use jump ball records as a means to analyze or compare players. No?


Truthfully, that's the first time i've ever seen that stat used in my life and likely the last time as well.


Lol...seriously.

If you have to use jumpball win % to make a point, you probably don't have a point.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 41882

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject:

No different than you guys using blocks to determine whether a player is a good defender, which Myles Turner is NOT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 35979

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No different than you guys using blocks to determine whether a player is a good defender, which Myles Turner is NOT.


1) it is different
2) you are correct, lots of blocks or steals does not mean someone is a good defender.
3) talking about jump ball win percentage is pointless
4) you will likely get what you want this season. With these players we will go nowhere. Most of them will be gone next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 12172

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No different than you guys using blocks to determine whether a player is a good defender, which Myles Turner is NOT.


Blocks and steals are one way of measuring defense, but you are right in that they don't give the full picture. There have often been guys who are good at gambling for steals while playing poor positional defense, or good at blocking shots but unable to defend the pick and roll or down low, etc. There are other metrics though.

Only two Pacers had a better defensive rating that Turner last season, Jackson and York. York played 2 games. Turner's 111 was a full three points better than the next pacer.

He was #1 in Defensive Win Shares on the Pacers last season per Basketball-reference. 0.1 better than Sabonis and 0.5 higher than any other Pacer. He was second in overall win shares on the team after Sabonis last season.

NBA.com's defensive win shares has him #3 on the team.

He also was top of the team in Defensive BPM unless you count York and Caver who played in 1 and 2 games total.

In Defensive RPM he ranked #24 out of 85 centers. In overall RPM he ranked #15 out of 85 centers.

In NBA.com's defensive rating he ranked behind Martin, Sabonis, Lamb, and Duarte on the Pacers, but ahead of 18 other guys on their roster last year. This is discounting the temporary 1, 2, 5 game players.

He is by no means a bad or average defender. He is a good defender, and an elite shot blocker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 7243
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why Lakers fans are acting like Bryant will have minimal impact this season.

Yes, he injured his ACL 1.5 years ago, but if he stays relatively healthy, and especially if he regains his 3-point shooting touch, he will pleasantly surprise people.

He can hit 3s, rebound, block shots, run the floor and finish strong at the rim, plus he's an energetic player who can get the crowd going.

A healthy Bryant is exactly who we need at the 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 4975

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Not sure why Lakers fans are acting like Bryant will have minimal impact this season.

Yes, he injured his ACL 1.5 years ago, but if he stays relatively healthy, and especially if he regains his 3-point shooting touch, he will pleasantly surprise people.

He can hit 3s, rebound, block shots, run the floor and finish strong at the rim, plus he's an energetic player who can get the crowd going.

A healthy Bryant is exactly who we need at the 5.


Agree!

We have a bunch of energetic players on this team as well. I can envision them feeding off one another all season long. I’m excited! If this team can play defense and get out and run it’s going to be a fun season. We can work on the half court offense as the season progresses and we sort out who the best shooters to put around lbj and AD are.
_________________
Well...we got boogie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22413

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No different than you guys using blocks to determine whether a player is a good defender, which Myles Turner is NOT.


how about triple double? lol, jk man, your boy WB has been saying the right things since the exit interview. If we stuck with him, wish for the best outcome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22413

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject:

Very excited about T.Bryant. Him and Schroeder are starter quality on vet min budget. Y'all think he's fast enough to be a back up stretch 4, like next to D.Jones for limited minutes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14397
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Very excited about T.Bryant. Him and Schroeder are starter quality on vet min budget. Y'all think he's fast enough to be a back up stretch 4, like next to D.Jones for limited minutes?



Lakers need for Bryant to help stretch the floor at times. Mini will be doing that with KAT/Rudy combo for sure.
_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 41882

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
governator wrote:
Very excited about T.Bryant. Him and Schroeder are starter quality on vet min budget. Y'all think he's fast enough to be a back up stretch 4, like next to D.Jones for limited minutes?


Lakers need for Bryant to help stretch the floor at times. Mini will be doing that with KAT/Rudy combo for sure.


I'm actually more excited about his ability to get open around the basket for easy layups. He has some Antwan Jamison in his game that I didn't expect to see in his highlights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 23056

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

Certain people that want Whiteside or Turner on this team are worried about Bryant's 'lift', using rec center games to prove it. How about what he showed us this previous season while coming off injury.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJsxaF95Lc

Looks just fine.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 7526

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

I am just thrilled to see some younger active centers on the roster instead of the always nursing injuries old timers from last year.

Bryant and Jones should add some much needed energy to the roster. Contributing those mpg to keep Davis as PF the majority of the time.

Even potentially Huff for those late season doldrums or a center injury is an upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 2299

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

When is he back? Dont like Jones
_________________
48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 39362
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
When is he back? Dont like Jones


TDRock wrote:
THOMAS BRYANT OUT FOR A MINUTE

Per Buha (Press release at link)

Thomas Bryant will re-evaluated in three weeks after surgery on his left thumb.

https://twitter.com/jovanbuha/status/1582495896930906113?s=46&t=8MOmsegSMWykmf8vy8I9KQ


That was on October 18 and that was the last status report we got on him. They haven't said anything new about him since.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 35979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Bryant is becoming a myth like Nunn was last season

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 39362
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bryant is becoming a myth like Nunn was last season



Indeed. I made a mini update in the injury thread that when they replay the game that we won the other day there was a Chyron at the bottom of the screen that he's going to be reevaluated on November 8. But that's about all that's been said about him. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epic_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2020
Posts: 8150

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
defense wrote:
Bryant is becoming a myth like Nunn was last season



Indeed. I made a mini update in the injury thread that when they replay the game that we won the other day there was a Chyron at the bottom of the screen that he's going to be reevaluated on November 8. But that's about all that's been said about him. :/


Fortunately it's his left thumb and not related to his previous lower body injury.
Once healed, he should be good to go.
_________________
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ–
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 39362
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

As a reminder that Chyron scroll said that he was going to be reevaluated somewhere around November 8, next Tuesday.

Per Turner (video at link)

Thomas Bryant looking good in workout

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/ba_turner/status/1588588047204958209?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ

Per McTen (video at link)

Thomas Bryant, about 2 1/2 weeks removed from thumb surgery, did some on-court work after shootaround Friday

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1588593450873548801?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Posts: 1132

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I think we can be excited about Bryant initially only as a back-up based on what we saw in pre-season. Expecting him to have an impact as a starter is setting up for disappointment. I'd rather plan on him progressing slowly and get Turner for the starter. If Bryant progresses to starter by the end of the season we can have options...re-sign Turner for lower or just go with Bryant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 23056

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
As a reminder that Chyron scroll said that he was going to be reevaluated somewhere around November 8, next Tuesday.

Per Turner (video at link)

Thomas Bryant looking good in workout

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/ba_turner/status/1588588047204958209?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ

Per McTen (video at link)

Thomas Bryant, about 2 1/2 weeks removed from thumb surgery, did some on-court work after shootaround Friday

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1588593450873548801?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ


We definitely need him back, so that we have a consistent starting center and AD can be moved back to the 4.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 7243
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
TDRock wrote:
As a reminder that Chyron scroll said that he was going to be reevaluated somewhere around November 8, next Tuesday.

Per Turner (video at link)

Thomas Bryant looking good in workout

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/ba_turner/status/1588588047204958209?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ

Per McTen (video at link)

Thomas Bryant, about 2 1/2 weeks removed from thumb surgery, did some on-court work after shootaround Friday

πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1588593450873548801?s=46&t=2zhLxatOXb5d-lkZMmAtlQ


We definitely need him back, so that we have a consistent starting center and AD can be moved back to the 4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 21032

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

Who would have guessed that a guy who has been out most of the last 3 years would continue to miss games?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 39362
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Who would have guessed that a guy who has been out most of the last 3 years would continue to miss games?


Now now, be fair. All his previous injuries have been typical big man leg and foot stuff. This time is an probably a fluke injury and he's progressing nicely ( πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1591147687872954368?s=46&t=TnoFtUdn4MdbtAbNb7szEg ) so cut a bro some slack lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Posts: 1132

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Very excited about T.Bryant. Him and Schroeder are starter quality on vet min budget. Y'all think he's fast enough to be a back up stretch 4, like next to D.Jones for limited minutes?


It would be great if TBraynt could do that and live up to your expectations...hoping for that. But from what I saw in pre-season I'm bracing for a disappointing version of him.

I'm more optimistic with Shroeder tho based on the Germany play but last season was concerning.

Hope both Bryant and Schroeder can come in an make a significant difference.
_________________
Just win baby!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 4185

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Who would have guessed that a guy who has been out most of the last 3 years would continue to miss games?


Now now, be fair. All his previous injuries have been typical big man leg and foot stuff. This time is an probably a fluke injury and he's progressing nicely ( πŸŽ₯ https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1591147687872954368?s=46&t=TnoFtUdn4MdbtAbNb7szEg ) so cut a bro some slack lol


Not sure what the hold up.. But none shooting hand. Looks healthy enough. Suck it and play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB