If the Lakers trade Russ/2 FRPs, do you prefer a big wing or a guard with high-level 3pt ability?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If the Lakers trade Russ/2 FRPs, do you prefer a big wing or a 3pt shooting guard?
Big Wing
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Guard with High-Level 3pt Ability
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: If the Lakers trade Russ/2 FRPs, do you prefer a big wing or a guard with high-level 3pt ability?

If the Lakers trade Russ and the 2027/2029 FRPs (assume little to no protections), do you prefer a big wing or a guard who is a renown 3pt shooter?

I wanted to get LG's pulse on this question at this given moment because, for a long time, I think consensus was that the Lakers needed a big wing. But has the equation changed with the Lakers swapping Nunn for Rui?

I've suddenly found myself feeling like the Lakers have solid wing depth. Though I disagree with Wenyen's DNP-CD's, it would have been impossible to DNP-CD him prior to the addition of Rui because the Lakers simply didn't have any size. And I think Wenyen's emergence has been one of the pleasant surprises of the season! High energy, very good rebounder, great hustle on defense, and can finish in the PnR, though he has his struggles with fouling and touch around the rim sometimes. The Lakers can now rely on Rui/LeBron/Brown/Wenyen to play the 3/4, and even some Christie/Reaves at the 3 and AD at the 4 situationally. Those are 7 players that I think the Lakers can throw in the wing rotation on any given night.

With the Lakers potentially having OK wing depth, I feel that swapping Russ and the picks for a 3pt shooting/playmaking guard is a high priority.

Let's pretend Russ' disastrous nights don't happen (high turnovers, tons of misses around the rim, and multiple momentum-killing plays). Even on his BEST night, when he turns the ball over 0-1 times and he finishes well around the rim, the ENORMOUS issue that the Lakers face is: SPACING. Russ' presence alone mucks up the offense, especially in crunch time. Teams ostensibly don't defend him, then pack the paint and force the Lakers to play 4 against 5. And Russ isn't able to make the defense pay, because he can't shoot and he can't attack the rim when it's clogged with 3+ defenders. Last night's OT was an anomaly. He can't be relied upon to provide clean, end-of-game playmaking.

So, LG, if the Lakers decide to trade Russ and the 2027/2029 FRPs, do you prefer a big wing or a guard who is a renown 3pt shooter? I'm going with the latter.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject:

I prefer we draft a big wing with 3 pt shooting ability with our 2023 pick which is easily possible.

I'm not giving up those two picks unless they are protected.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I prefer we draft a big wing with 3 pt shooting ability with our 2023 pick which is easily possible.

I get that a lot of people don't want to trade the picks, but that isn't the question. The question is whether you'd prefer a wing or a guard if the picks are traded. What are you looking for in regards to roster construction?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I get that a lot of people don't want to trade the picks, but that isn't the question. The question is whether you'd prefer a wing or a guard if the picks are traded. What are you looking for in regards to roster construction?

The closest is a hybrid like OG but I'm not giving up three picks for him.

I mean it's possible you get another fluke title, but more likely you end up in an asset desert for the next ten seasons.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Big wing. A sniper SG doesn’t take 2 FRPs.

If you are going to spend those FRPs it better be for a star or a high end player at a premium position.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject:

They'll probably get yet another short guard, LOL....
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject:

We need to pry Buddy Hield away from Indiana. He's the perfect fit and will complete the offense for the starting 5

Schroeder
Hield
Hachimura
LeBron
AD

Versatile, decent height, decent defense, but leaves Westbrook to come in off the bench and push pace with Reaves, Lonnie, Bryant and Gabriel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Ideally we do both...

Trade 1:
Charlotte - Westbrook
LA - Hayward, Oubre

Trade 2:
Tor - Beverly, Lonnie, Two 2nds, 2nd swap
LA - Trent Jr

AD, Bryant, Wenyan
LeBron, Oubre
Rui, Hayward
Trent Jr, Brown Jr, Max
Austin, Dennis

Save the 1sts, use Hayward's expiring in summer with pick(s) for win now upgrade

Last edited by 2019 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Ideally we do both...

Trade 1:
Charlotte - Westbrook
LA - Hayward, Oubre

Trade 2:
Tor - Beverly, Lonnie, 2nd
LA - Trent Jr

AD, Bryant, Wenyan
LeBron, Oubre
Rui, Hayward
Trent Jr, Brown Jr, Max
Austin, Dennis

Save the 1sts, use Hayward's expiring in summer with pick(s) for win now upgrade

If GTJ was that easily attained, trade would have already happened imo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I understand the spirit of the question, so I'll say "big wing" to honor the spirit. However, it's the wrong question in my opinion. If we trade both FRPs, we need to get something significant. Buddy Hield is a guard with high-level three-point ability. Would I want to give two FRPs for him? Hell, no. Likewise, I don't think that we're going to get a premium wing for that package.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject:

young, versatile that will live beyond bron unless there is a move that almost guarantees a ring.

Mobley?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject:

In a vacuum, I'll say a big wing. In reality, I am dubious there will actually be a big wing or point guard who is available for two FRPs that we'd want to pay two FRPs for.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject:

They could use both. Though I do think the Rui trade helped even out the roster a little. He's still more of a 4 though than a 3. Which also is likely Lebron's best position at his age.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I understand the spirit of the question, so I'll say "big wing" to honor the spirit. However, it's the wrong question in my opinion. If we trade both FRPs, we need to get something significant. Buddy Hield is a guard with high-level three-point ability. Would I want to give two FRPs for him? Hell, no. Likewise, I don't think that we're going to get a premium wing for that package.

That will likely be the case. However, I wanted to check the pulse of LG on this particular question because 1) the Lakers roster construction has changed recently with the trade, so I was wondering if the desired player type has changed along with it (most LGers seemed to heavily desire "big wing" all season as the Lakers were rolling out severely undersized lineups) and 2) I figured the question of "quality of return" is settled for most Lakers fans as most would want a high return for those FRPs (and Pelinka himself has said he will only trade them if they propel the Lakers into title contention).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Caruso and patrick Willians for Russ/FRP
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject:

If the question is simply what do you prefer: a big wing or a guard - I always lean wing especially in today's NBA.

In a Russ trade it's about how many players I'm getting back. I want as many viable players who can play basketball as I can get.

If I can get 3 role players (Hayward, Rozier, Washington), I'd much rather have that than Zach Lavine or Bradley Beal.

I want as many players back as possible who have contracts that extend past this season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That will likely be the case. However, I wanted to check the pulse of LG on this particular question because 1) the Lakers roster construction has changed recently with the trade, so I was wondering if the desired player type has changed along with it (most LGers seemed to heavily desire "big wing" all season as the Lakers were rolling out severely undersized lineups) and 2) I figured the question of "quality of return" is settled for most Lakers fans as most would want a high return for those FRPs (and Pelinka himself has said he will only trade them if they propel the Lakers into title contention).

Right. At the moment, we're middle of the pack on both sides of the ball -- 18th of 30 in both ORtg and DRtg. We need to move the needle on both sides of the court. Bringing in a three point shooter would help on one side of the court, but a guy like Hield doesn't help on the other side. A legitimate 3-and-D wing would help on both sides. Hachimura is just a middling wing in my estimation. He does balance the roster a bit, and he fills a void. In my opinion, though, that's still our area of greatest need.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right. At the moment, we're middle of the pack on both sides of the ball -- 18th of 30 in both ORtg and DRtg. We need to move the needle on both sides of the court. Bringing in a three point shooter would help on one side of the court, but a guy like Hield doesn't help on the other side. A legitimate 3-and-D wing would help on both sides. Hachimura is just a middling wing in my estimation. He does balance the roster a bit, and he fills a void. In my opinion, though, that's still our area of greatest need.

Fair. Thoughts on Russ + the FRPs for FVV and GTJ? Let's assume it's the best offer that Toronto receives for those two. Would you like that deal as a Lakers fan?

FVV fills a bit of the playmaking void that would be left by Russ, while totally transforming the spacing of the starting and closing units with the way he's respected as a shooter (also brings in a 90% FT rate). GTJ has been pretty down defensively this year after showing a lot of upside last year, but has the potential to be a good 3&D wing (not quite a "big" wing, though he's big enough).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

If they trade the picks I want no one returning that is older than 24. Prefer wings but we will need every position to rebuild.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Gotta chime in here - Big Wing. We've had way too many supposedly great 3 point shooting guards come and go the last couple years.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Definitely a wing, although we would still need one more legit ball-handler off the bench to replace Westbrook.

In a perfect world, it would be OG Anunoby as long as he can comfortably play the 2 as well.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Fair. Thoughts on Russ + the FRPs for FVV and GTJ? Let's assume it's the best offer that Toronto receives for those two. Would you like that deal as a Lakers fan?

FVV fills a bit of the playmaking void that would be left by Russ, while totally transforming the spacing of the starting and closing units with the way he's respected as a shooter (also brings in a 90% FT rate). GTJ has been pretty down defensively this year after showing a lot of upside last year, but has the potential to be a good 3&D wing (not quite a "big" wing, though he's big enough).

I haven't given that trade a lot of thought, because I don't think it happens in the real world. But sure, I'd make that deal if the front office is willing to spend the money necessary to re-sign them this summer and to accept the possibility of repeater tax. It wouldn't really address our core needs, but we couldn't pass up the chance to add that much talent to the roster . . . if we're willing to pay for it.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject:

Well, Lebron/AD have never had the opportunity to play with high-level 3 point shooters. Danny Green and KCP were the closest but neither were the most versatile shooters, they weren't able to shoot on the move like GTJ or shoot pull-up jumpers off the dribble like FVV. I would love to see how Lebron/AD look with elite spacing around them.

That said, I would go with a big wing. This team is sorely lacking in size.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject:

Big wing with high-level 3pt ability
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: