NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Per @ShamsCharania, @sam_amick & @jovanbuha

Lakers 'seriously considered' sending:

Russell Westbrook &
two unprotected first-round picks (2027 & 2029) to Pacers for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield

Lakers are seriously idiots for considering this trade.

So......they are idiots for not doing the trade........ok

I hang up the phone if I am the Lakers. My suspicion is they haven’t pulled the trigger but Indiana feels like they can get the Lakers to pull the trigger particularly if they get off to a slow start…so yeah idiots for making Indiana believe that it’s possible to get 2 FRPs unprotected.

I don’t know how much idiotic this FO can be especially when it’s obvious to everyone and their mom that no one is offering even 1 FRP for Hield or Turner.

If Indy could have gotten this done for 1 unprotected FRP they may really come to regret playing hardball.

Correct, Ocho. They are playing this dangerous game of 2 FRPs or nothing. They are probably banking on the Lakers 1 FRP offer being there all season long. If I’m the Lakers, I say (bleep) off and no picks for you!

Nah...I consider 1 FRP but not 2....and maybe a 2nd round pick....It would obviously balance the roster and make this team much better....title contenders? Possibly....but this team as is...is 42 wins tops.

You have to set a reputation. As much as we don’t like Ainge, that MF knows what he’s doing and has a reputation.

The 1 FRP offer is before the season begins…sorry Indiana.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Major gamble going on here.

I don't think Russ's trade cost fundamentally changes much through the season. The Lakers have a brutal 11 game start and if we start of something like 3-8, teams will sense the Lakers desperation and remain firm on their 2 FRP price tag for Russ.

If we wait until the deadline, almost 60% of the season is done and we may already be outside looking in and the Lakers may just punt at that point and not think 2 FRPs are worth trading this late in the season.

Also by the deadline most of WB's salary for this season would have been paid.

I think the real heartburn on Indiana's part is taking $47 mil in potential dead salary. Their owner is really old school. To me Turner is worth a FRP and Hield is neutral value. They likely want that 2nd FRP because of the $47 mil still owed to WB.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Would be one of the worst trades, if not the worst trade, in Lakers history if they attached 2 FRPs for two mediocre players just to dump Westbrook.
No one with a brain can support that kind of trade.
Lakers are better off keeping Westbrook, ride out the season, which I feel will be much better than last season, and have that huge expiring deal off the books.

That is the best deal for the Lakers.....

I’m with you Anth. Turner and Hield aren’t what people think, but ok fine 1 FRP prior to season starting…otherwise good luck Indiana, have a nice tank season.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

Are we absolutely certain Turner is going to stay healthy as well? If Turner gets another major injury they're not going to be able to get anything for him. They'll try their best to get something for Hield and that'll be the end of it. Yikes.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Would be one of the worst trades, if not the worst trade, in Lakers history if they attached 2 FRPs for two mediocre players just to dump Westbrook.
No one with a brain can support that kind of trade.
Lakers are better off keeping Westbrook, ride out the season, which I feel will be much better than last season, and have that huge expiring deal off the books.

That is the best deal for the Lakers.....

I’m with you Anth. Turner and Hield aren’t what people think, but ok fine 1 FRP prior to season starting…otherwise good luck Indiana, have a nice tank season.

I could stomach 1 FRP, and even that is scary to give up for two guys that really don't move the needle, in my opinion. Would they help this team, sure, I am not saying they wouldn't. But giving up 2 FRPs would be beyond idiotic.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

KOC put out a tweet asking if the Lakers should make the trade and 65% of people said yes. Note it's not just Lakers fans.

Man, NBA Twitter. They're hilarious
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

really don't think Turner helps much. Hield is like meh as well. i am not going to trade 2 Unprotected 1st round picks for them. i'd do it with some protection
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

Oh here's this thread. I couldn't find the right tried to share that in when I saw it this morning but anyway yeah…

Yeah. :/
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
wait so the grizz were willing to trade one frp for two frps?

The idea was we'd trade one of ours for two of theirs to send to Indiana. The way the article was written made it seem Indiana blocked it, wanting both Lakers firsts (the more valuable ones). It also said Herb Simon wants to see Haliburton, Hield, and Turner together which is why the price is so high. I think the Lakers are betting the price comes down if the team falters early on again, but as yinoma pointed out, the Lakers might also be faltering.

According to reports out of training camp, those guys are being dominated by the second unit.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

I'd really love to know the source that told Shams we seriously considered making that trade. I'd be very surprised if that came from the Lakers organization, which makes me think its probably a bs source speculating.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Yea, I'm just thinking to myself, who does this news benefit?

The Atlantic.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

Turner/AD/Bron/Hield/Beverly would have been a playoff lock. That's something I can see as the positive in making that big of a move. You definitely have the pieces to make the playoffs securely and battle injuries (As Turner can fill in a lot of what AD does). The defense would be improved as well as again your defense doesn't fall a cliff everytime AD is down with an injury as Turner could anchor and fill in quite a bit.

The issue I see is the unprotected picks part. Giving up picks that are unprotected for a team that will be good very good but not great, it's tough. I understand why some would want to, and understand why others don't. You give up potential lottery picks for players that put you over the top.

I personally much prefer to be patient and if we do give up the picks give it up for some players at the 3 and 2 who can move AD/Bron to their stronger spots on the floor. Bev hopefully can stick as your starting two-way 1 this year in that scenario. I don't feel confident about Turner/AD/Bron/Hield/Bev beating elite teams in a best of 7, even with the much improved odds than what we have now. We need better defensive wings that can spread the floor around AD/Bron/Bev or Nunn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject:

Trade doesn’t make us contenders so it wouldn’t make sense to do this trade.

God this organization man.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Yea, I'm just thinking to myself, who does this news benefit?

The Atlantic.

A lot of times it's just player agents letting teams know their player is still out there for the taking and that they're still a commodity worth noting. I doubt teams want this stuff leaked as it only adds more fan pressure. Like the Lakers wouldn't want this leaked because if WB starts the season badly, fans pressure mounts, and I doubt the Pacers would either as they come across as maybe asking for too much.

To me it seems a lot of the leaks come from the player agents. Maybe I'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

It’s a steep price for sure. I’d like to see Rob negotiate something better, maybe at least get some 2nd back in the deal, but I’m in the minority of people who think the trade greatly improves us and makes us a contender. The big risk is not whether it works, but whether Myles stays on the floor. I would not be upset if we made the trade at an admittedly steep price. At a minimum, Westbrook is off the team. That alone makes us better and more fun to watch.

Last edited by pjiddy on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
wait so the grizz were willing to trade one frp for two frps?

I didn't read the article, but the part AH quoted was different: "adding a third team, such as the Grizzlies, who could take a 2027 or 2029 first-rounder from the Lakers for two first-rounders of their own to send to Indiana."

From this, it doesn't sound like the Grizzles ever agreed to take part (and it's not even clear the Lakers and Pacers even spoke with the Grizzles).

It sounds like they just floated the idea between each other of finding some third team that would trade 2 of their FRPs for the one of the Lakers, presumably on the theory that the Lakers' picks would be higher.

If that's the case, it sounds like just two GMs throwing spaghetti against the wall. I am dubious the Grizzles or some other team would have considered this.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Trade doesn’t make us contenders so it wouldn’t make sense to do this trade.

God this organization man.

So you're mad that they refused to make a stupid trade?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

How is this kid making $1m in G league and which team has his draft right if he hasn’t been drafted?

Quote:
Sources tell The Athletic that Johnson, 18, will receive a salary exceeding $1 million, which is now the largest Ignite salary to date. Ignite guard Scoot Henderson previously had the highest salary at $1 million. A point guard who played last season at Norcross High School in Georgia, Johnson is a dual citizen of the United States and Jamaica. He is a top-40 prospect in the class, according to the 247Sports Composite Rating, and was selected for the World Team at Nike Hoop Summit this past year. He plans to be with the Ignite program for both this season and the 2023-24 season. – via Sam Vecenie, Shams Charania, Shams Charania and Sam Vecenie @ The Athletic
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Per @ShamsCharania, @sam_amick & @jovanbuha

Lakers 'seriously considered' sending:

Russell Westbrook &
two unprotected first-round picks (2027 & 2029) to Pacers for Myles Turner and Buddy Hield

Lakers are seriously idiots for considering this trade.

So......they are idiots for not doing the trade........ok

I hang up the phone if I am the Lakers. My suspicion is they haven’t pulled the trigger but Indiana feels like they can get the Lakers to pull the trigger particularly if they get off to a slow start…so yeah idiots for making Indiana believe that it’s possible to get 2 FRPs unprotected.

I don’t know how much idiotic this FO can be especially when it’s obvious to everyone and their mom that no one is offering even 1 FRP for Hield or Turner.

If Indy could have gotten this done for 1 unprotected FRP they may really come to regret playing hardball.

There would be no regret in not getting Westbrook. A 5-7 year out FRP can be used as currency but seems to have minimal value. The Pacers need to win any Laker deal, I’m not even sure that both FRPs accomplishes that.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
How is this kid making $1m in G league and which team has his draft right if he hasn’t been drafted?

Quote:
Sources tell The Athletic that Johnson, 18, will receive a salary exceeding $1 million, which is now the largest Ignite salary to date. Ignite guard Scoot Henderson previously had the highest salary at $1 million. A point guard who played last season at Norcross High School in Georgia, Johnson is a dual citizen of the United States and Jamaica. He is a top-40 prospect in the class, according to the 247Sports Composite Rating, and was selected for the World Team at Nike Hoop Summit this past year. He plans to be with the Ignite program for both this season and the 2023-24 season. – via Sam Vecenie, Shams Charania, Shams Charania and Sam Vecenie @ The Athletic

The Ignite is an independent team - not affiliated with an NBA franchise.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A 5-7 year out FRP can be used as currency but seems to have minimal value.

Quite the opposite. The picks have tremendous value since they can be traded multiple times before the pick is actually made.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if Myles and Buddy's agents were part of the sources in the trade story. They know that the Pacers will be bad and for Myles, not being in the spotlight to showcase himself may hurt his value for 2023 FA. Buddy has been languishing on some bad Kings and Pacers teams too.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A 5-7 year out FRP can be used as currency but seems to have minimal value.

Quite the opposite. The picks have tremendous value since they can be traded multiple times before the pick is actually made.

This is spot on. Those picks will be monster trade chips for the Pacers, especially in several years when LeBron retires and AD is less effective or off the team altogether.

The Lakers haven’t shown any ability to team build, and the LeBron/AD tandem is on its last legs. It’s no wonder those 5-7 year horizon picks are so sought after.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Myles and Buddy's agents were part of the sources in the trade story. They know that the Pacers will be bad and for Myles, not being in the spotlight to showcase himself may hurt his value for 2023 FA. Buddy has been languishing on some bad Kings and Pacers teams too.

Hurt is a good term to use with Turner.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

A team like the Pacers can afford to sit around, hoping to cash in on a team's desperation like the Lakers.

The Lakers on the other hand, not sure they can fool around for 40-50 games with the current group and THEN decide that they are ready to deal at the deadline. I think there is less incentive to do so as 60% of the season in, we may already be on the outside looking in. Trade now, or within the first 20 games or so, or I don't think we will be major players at the deadline. When's the last time the Lakers did a blockbuster deal closer to the deadline? Pau?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 461 of 2546
Jump to: