NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 736, 737, 738 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
We already have TBryant who's good for some 20 minutes a night, I think we don't need a big minutes center. AD will close at center anyway and play some more minutes here and there. I think we should try to pick someone up who's good for 15-20 minutes a night, not necessarily Turner

I think the problem with Bryant at this point is defensively. He used to be a good stretch 5 but he's 1-4 this season from three, in 7 games. Offensively he has some things to offer. Defensively he hasn't been the guy. And offensively he hasn't stretched the floor.

Now I'm not sure how Turner and AD would fit, or if Ham would play him huge minutes or not. But he is averaging 17/8 with 2.5 blocks per game and shooting 38.5% from three on 3.8 attempts per game. He'd absolutely be an upgrade over Bryant. Unless he's a 28 minute per night guy who you can play with AD, he may not be worth the cost. But I tend to think he and AD are both mobile enough, and he can stretch the floor well enough, that you can play the two together for big minutes. And that it would likely be the best 4/5 combination in the league defensively,

i like Turner as a fit too, i just dont agree with his cost. and i think at the cost of a FRP id rather pass, and try to find another option

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
People here somehow back on the Turner train despite him sucking as of late? Like getting his ass beat by the likes of Zubac?

And how much it would cost to get him…and then retain him? You guys are even worse GMs than Pelinka.

if he doesnt cost a FRP (highly unlikely) then hes worth a shot. otherwise pass

Obviously If it doesn’t cost a FRP? Sure.

But this is Kevin Prichard. He will demand the Lakers 2 first round picks, let alone one, just because. Until he ends up trading him somewhere else for a far inferior deal.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Not in favor of blowing FRPs on flawed players/fits. AD has put up monster numbers at center. Are we sure that Turner/Vuc won’t disrupt that? Neither of them will be happy either if we decide to bench them to start/close small. Bogs’ D will be a liability. Let’s focus on simply solid players that aren’t liabilities and won’t pout on the bench like we did during the championship run. We have enough dynamic scorers and playmakers.

I can’t think of an available big that fits better with AD than Turner. On offense and defense. Imagine having his length/speed/switchability instead of a third guard, which is what we’ve been doing. I don’t know where this notion that he doesn’t play in crunch time is coming from. He absolutely does.

He wants north of 20mil and ad is our best center. Will take couple of 1sts to get him.

Bamba might be much cheaper and healthier option

He’s a switchable 4/5. He’d be what Morris was for us in 2020 except with elite shot-blocking.

We beat the Bucks with barely any 3-point shooting because we hammered them inside. Turner enhances this while also offering floor stretching.

I don’t see the Lakers risking what little assets they have for Bamba, who can’t even start on the Magic. And is he really the healthier option with his back issues?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Not in favor of blowing FRPs on flawed players/fits. AD has put up monster numbers at center. Are we sure that Turner/Vuc won’t disrupt that? Neither of them will be happy either if we decide to bench them to start/close small. Bogs’ D will be a liability. Let’s focus on simply solid players that aren’t liabilities and won’t pout on the bench like we did during the championship run. We have enough dynamic scorers and playmakers.

I can’t think of an available big that fits better with AD than Turner. On offense and defense. Imagine having his length/speed/switchability instead of a third guard, which is what we’ve been doing. I don’t know where this notion that he doesn’t play in crunch time is coming from. He absolutely does.

He wants north of 20mil and ad is our best center. Will take couple of 1sts to get him.

He’s a switchable 4/5. He’d be what Morris was for us in 2020 except with elite shot-blocking.

We beat the Bucks with barely any 3-point shooting because we hammered them inside. Turner enhances this while also offering floor stretching.

I don’t see the Lakers risking what little assets they have for Bamba, who can’t even start on the Magic. And is he really the healthier option with his back issues?

It's literally Nunn + Jones for Bamba over 2 unprotected picks for Turner

Id go with Mo
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

Porky and fillers for Westbrook

BOOM!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Vas,

1. AD 40.6m
2. Bron 47.6m
3. Jones (or get out of this min) 2.6m
4. MaxC 1.7m
5. 2023 1st post-NO swap (#20-30 pick) 3m

then need to keep our own FAs (via bird rights)
6. Reaves 6.2m RFA cap hold (starter criteria met)
7. Walker 7.8m caphold

= 115m in team salary (w/2 earmarked 4yr rookie min deals + 3 IR charges) leaving…
= 21m in cap space

then sign 3&Ds (and/or keep Russ on hometown deal) using renaming available cap space & roomMLE
8. Westbrook? (remove max caphold by signing lesser deal but above avg NBA salary)
OR
8. Harrison Barnes/Jerami Grant 21m
9. Kuzma/Reddish/Crowder 5.9m

then fill the rest with rookie/vet mins (w/either or own guys or new FAs)
10. Chicago 2nd round rookie min 1.1m (4yr deals w/use of cap space)
11. LA 2nd round rookie min 1.1m (4yr deals w/use of cap space)
12. Gabriel / vet min 2.1m
13. TB / vet min 2.1m
14. TBJr / vet min 2.1m

= 148.2m in team salary w/ 17m in wiggle before hitting the tax line, meaning we could give Reaves up to around a 12m deal using his early bird rights and give our vet min non bird free agents (ie TB, TBJr, Schro, Gabriel, etc) slightly more than just the vet min using their non-bird rights, but remember if we do that then it cuts into the 21m in cap space we would have had by renouncing those rights.

how would a sample salaries below tax $ look?
Hope that answered it for you

Sorry it took a minute to get to this bro, but I made the edits above in your post to reflect a possible cap sheet with the cap maxing at 136m next summer and having a 165m tax line to navigate under. FYI, if we are to play the cap game with our space, then we would only have the roomMLE (5.9m) in addition to play with after our cap taps out (those deals can only be a max of 2yrs in length).
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

BOOM!

Would you do and would DC do....WB+1 st rounder unprotected+2 2nds for Porky+Kuz?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

BOOM!

I wonder if any of those guys get that loose ball to a teammate
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
gng930 wrote:

It's literally Nunn + Jones for Bamba over 2 unprotected picks for Turner

Id go with Mo

Nah...it's not 2 unprotected picks for Turner...just 1. But I can still see how someone would consider Mo for no picks as a better deal. Mo isn't even starting on a sorry team though, the gap between Mo and Turner could be worth the 1FRP.

Considering age and cost the risk on Mo could be worth it but I still would prefer Turner due to versatility at C/PF serving as insurance for AD missing time. Also, the deal for Mo would be better if Bev is traded straight up as an advantage for cap space.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

Would you do and would DC do....WB+1 st rounder unprotected+2 2nds for Porky+Kuz?

The Wizards gave Beal a super max contract. I expect that they would have no interest in tanking or rebuilding. They need to find a way to get into the playoffs, or else they are in a world of hurt. If they make a trade, they will be looking for an immediate upgrade.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:
Vas,

1. AD 40.6m
2. Bron 47.6m
4. MaxC 1.7m

7. Walker 7.8m caphold

= 115m in team salary (w/2 earmarked 4yr rookie min deals + 3 IR charges) leaving…
= 21m in cap space

then sign 3&Ds (and/or keep Russ on hometown deal) using renaming available cap space & roomMLE
8. Westbrook? (remove max caphold by signing lesser deal but above avg NBA salary)
OR

13. TB / vet min 2.1m
14. TBJr / vet min 2.1m

= 148.2m in team salary w/ 17m in wiggle before hitting the tax line, meaning we could give Reaves up to around a 12m deal using his early bird rights and give our vet min non bird free agents (ie TB, TBJr, Schro, Gabriel, etc) slightly more than just the vet min using their non-bird rights, but remember if we do that then it cuts into the 21m in cap space we would have had by renouncing those rights.

Sorry it took a minute to get to this bro, but I made the edits above in your post to reflect a possible cap sheet with the cap maxing at 136m next summer and having a 165m tax line to navigate under. FYI, if we are to play the cap game with our space, then we would only have the roomMLE (5.9m) in addition to play with after our cap taps out (those deals can only be a max of 2yrs in length).

Contender, not favorite but I can go with that squad, we have wings, except it's prob Cam Reddish with room MLE instead of Kuzma/Crowder. Time for rookies era to transition ala GS aka stop trading them away

AD-Bron-Barnes/Grant-Reaves-Walker core

gracias btw, wish we can get under tax this season with a WB trade and go over for several quality pieces in the summer but it is what it is

Last edited by governator on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

The Wizards gave Beal a super max contract. I expect that they would have no interest in tanking or rebuilding. They need to find a way to get into the playoffs, or else they are in a world of hurt. If they make a trade, they will be looking for an immediate upgrade.

Beal+Wembanyama would be a nice prize
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
what i found crazy is that Giannis has Brook Lopez next to him and AD has uh no one. Myles Turner>>Brook Lopez IMO.

I disagree. Lopez has been balling out. He’s a much more consistent offensive player than Turner on a night to night basis, especially on the post, (though Turner has higher highs, but a lot of that is due to Lopez eating last behind Giannis, Jrue, and now Middleton again), and Lopez is a legit contender for DPoY right now. Still nuts to me that we could have kept him for a song and Magic and Rob decided to let him walk for nothing. I could see an argument for Turner being a little better than Lopez (I wouldn’t agree), but it’s close and not as far as >> would imply.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

We've been through this. Wembanyama is a skeleton key for people who want to post fantasy trade scenarios. Why would Team X make this bad trade that favors the Lakers? A 14% chance at drafting Wembanyama, baby!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Nah...it's not 2 unprotected picks for Turner...just 1.

Which is still too much for an expiring Center that gets (bleep) on by the likes of Zubac.

I would rather have someone Jonas Valančiūnas, Brook Lopez, etc over Turner any day of the week.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject:

I will say after this roadtrip and the game with Boston....if we are what I think we are....this team will definitely be worth investing in but maybe not trading veterans like Russ or Pat Bev. I still have hope Pat Bev will turn it around and a dog like him when he does turn it around will be needed. Pat Bev is important for the culture of the team. If his shooting efficiency is still garbage near the trade deadline, we can deal him then.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:
Vas,

1. AD 40.6m
2. Bron 47.6m
4. MaxC 1.7m

7. Walker 7.8m caphold

= 21m in cap space

OR

13. TB / vet min 2.1m
14. TBJr / vet min 2.1m

Contender, not favorite but I can go with that squad, we have wings, except it's prob Cam Reddish with room MLE instead of Kuzma/Crowder. Time for rookies era to transition ala GS aka stop trading them away

AD-Bron-Barnes/Grant-Reaves-Walker core

Those options are promising. I would prefer Turner however because it allows the team to use LBJ as the big, coveted wing while providing a backup plan for insurance if AD misses time and provides a path to bring back WB/Walker/Reev3s all under the tax line. It would require Bryant/Gabriel/TBjr/Schroeder taking vet mins which could be too presumptuous and also WB to take a team friendly deal around $15mil.

Turner/Bryant/Jones
AD/Gabriel
LBJ/TBjr
LW4/Reev3s/Christie
WB/Shroeder
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject:

In a playoff context, we could use an upgrade at backup center over what Bryant and Wenyen are giving us. But it’s not a glaring hole. Even McGee and Dwight saw their roles drastically curtailed in the playoffs. Our best guard rotation probably includes Russ, Reaves, Walker and Beverly. If you deal Pat, sub in Brown. Some might have Dennis in there, but point being we have enough at guard.

When it comes to balancing the roster to meet playoff challenges, the wing position is where we have an overwhelming need. We’ve been asking Beverly and Brown to play up, LeBron to play down, or just going with four guard sets to try to fill the gap. That isn’t going to work in the playoffs. In the past it’s been said that Davis can shift to oversized forward mode, and that is still true. That’s the context in which Turner could slide in. But Davis has found a dominant role at Center (finally!) and we probably don’t want to mess with that.

Pelinka needs to look at ways to acquire a serviceable wing or two. All of the other moves are just moving around the deck chairs, and potentially a misallocation of resources.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Myles + Ad would be solid
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
I will say after this roadtrip and the game with Boston....if we are what I think we are....this team will definitely be worth investing in but maybe not trading veterans like Russ or Pat Bev. I still have hope Pat Bev will turn it around and a dog like him when he does turn it around will be needed. Pat Bev is important for the culture of the team. If his shooting efficiency is still garbage near the trade deadline, we can deal him then.

I think that Beverley is safe, minus throwing in a FRP I can’t see any team wanting him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

We've been through this. Wembanyama is a skeleton key for people who want to post fantasy trade scenarios. Why would Team X make this bad trade that favors the Lakers? A 14% chance at drafting Wembanyama, baby!

Just to further the point, that 14% chance only exists for the bottom 3 teams. I think the bottom four are going to be pretty locked in (Orlando, Houston, San Antonio and Detroit). Teams aren’t going to out-tank those teams late in the season. Charlotte isn’t far behind those teams. So let’s say a team could trade a bunch of talent to the Lakers in the hopes of tanking for Wemby. Well, the 6th worst team has a 9% chance at the top pick. Hard to imagine any team finding that worth it.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
what i found crazy is that Giannis has Brook Lopez next to him and AD has uh no one. Myles Turner>>Brook Lopez IMO.

I disagree. Lopez has been balling out. He’s a much more consistent offensive player than Turner on a night to night basis, especially on the post, (though Turner has higher highs, but a lot of that is due to Lopez eating last behind Giannis, Jrue, and now Middleton again), and Lopez is a legit contender for DPoY right now. Still nuts to me that we could have kept him for a song and Magic and Rob decided to let him walk for nothing. I could see an argument for Turner being a little better than Lopez (I wouldn’t agree), but it’s close and not as far as >> would imply.

It may be closer than >> implies but Turner is certainly a little better than Lopez by some amount...even if small. An argument could be made that the price makes Lopez a better option since their play is closer than their salary making Lopez a bargain, but Turner is eight years younger with a better possibility to improve.

I think Turner gets the nod as slightly better due to being a better scorer and rebounder with blocks being close to career avg where as Lopez's blocks look like it's an outlier. Still...the two are very close this year.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

Just to further the point, that 14% chance only exists for the bottom 3 teams. I think the bottom four are going to be pretty locked in (Orlando, Houston, San Antonio and Detroit). Teams aren’t going to out-tank those teams late in the season. Charlotte isn’t far behind those teams. So let’s say a team could trade a bunch of talent to the Lakers in the hopes of tanking for Wemby. Well, the 6th worst team has a 9% chance at the top pick. Hard to imagine any team finding that worth it.

While I agree with the premise, there is good blue chip talent this year after pick #1. So perhaps a top four or five pick this year has great appeal. Also, with the cap spike predicted in a couple years, having a difference maker on a rookie scale is a big advantage when carving out space to build a contender. It’s the perfect window.

I think cost savings will perhaps be a bigger driver this year though. That’s where a willingness to take on salary into next season will be an interesting subtext on what we do. The false narrative of cap space has all but been debunked. Now it’s about LA’s financial commitment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Balto wrote:
defense wrote:

BOOM!

While I agree with the premise, there is good blue chip talent this year after pick #1. So perhaps a top four or five pick this year has great appeal. Also, with the cap spike predicted in a couple years, having a difference maker on a rookie scale is a big advantage when carving out space to build a contender. It’s the perfect window.

I think cost savings will perhaps be a bigger driver this year though. That’s where a willingness to take on salary into next season will be an interesting subtext on what we do. The false narrative of cap space has all but been debunked. Now it’s about LA’s financial commitment.

Avoiding the repeat luxury tax is very real and will be a consideration with every decision.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

The bigger question on Myles Turner is will the Lakers commit to this type of deal?

Turner will be an unrestricted free agent and here’s the max he could get from another team:

2023-24: $40,200,000
2024-25: $42,210,000
2025-26: $44,220,000
2026-27: $46,230,000
Total: four years, $172,860,000

https://www.spotrac.com/research/NBA/next-contract-series-myles-turner-1672/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 736, 737, 738 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 737 of 2558
Jump to: