NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
In a playoff context, we could use an upgrade at backup center over what Bryant and Wenyen are giving us. But it’s not a glaring hole. Even McGee and Dwight saw their roles drastically curtailed in the playoffs. Our best guard rotation probably includes Russ, Reaves, Walker and Beverly. If you deal Pat, sub in Brown. Some might have Dennis in there, but point being we have enough at guard.

When it comes to balancing the roster to meet playoff challenges, the wing position is where we have an overwhelming need. We’ve been asking Beverly and Brown to play up, LeBron to play down, or just going with four guard sets to try to fill the gap. That isn’t going to work in the playoffs. In the past it’s been said that Davis can shift to oversized forward mode, and that is still true. That’s the context in which Turner could slide in. But Davis has found a dominant role at Center (finally!) and we probably don’t want to mess with that.

Pelinka needs to look at ways to acquire a serviceable wing or two. All of the other moves are just moving around the deck chairs, and potentially a misallocation of resources.

You put it very clear where Lakers need to upgrade the roster to have any chance in playoffs.
But if we take a different approach. They need to look at the players who are under the radar, players who maybe disappointed, but somehow could be revigorated.

I would give Lonnie Walker as an example. Nobody was happy with him here. And that was understandable. He was a nothing special player who in 3 years didn`t really developed under Popovich (one of the best coaches at developing players). But straightforward, Lonnie proved to be able to make a jump in quality in other environment.
Can we find such players? Players for whom, we don`t need to give a FRP or other assets? 2 names come in my mind.

Darius Bazley. Out of favour in OKC. A restricted free agent next summer. Thunder have enough players in his position. He is a surplus there. Could we take him for Nunn and a 2nd round?

Saddiq Bey would be another. He is under 30% from 3p this year. But career wise he was a 35%. Maybe alongside Davis and Lebron his % will increase. Can he come for a 2RD pick?

Both of them have size to defend to bigger wings in the league and with AD behind them, we could be an even better defensively. Sure, there other such players in the league. It`s up to Pelinka and Ham to find them and decide which one of them could make a jump in quality and help us solve to some extend our wings problem.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's getting $120-130 million which will likely work out to $30 million + per

It's not impossible, but that sounds high. At a minimum, he would need to play 70+ games. Even then, the metrics don't love him, and that's a big deal in the current NBA.

It’s an overpay for any Center that’s not a superstar. Let alone a non-all star one.

But overpays happen. This is a weak free agent class, so he might be able to get overpaid. I'm not betting on it, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility if he can stay healthy.

Then that organization, filled with morons. Ask how the Twolves how they like Rudy Gobert, and how it’s working out for them.

Teams like the Knicks do that, or teams that are desperate to stay relevant. Either case, are morons.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but anyone who says “that’s business 101” does not actually have a business degree so forgive for not deferring to your point.

And uh…Kawhi came to LA am i wrong? He chose the situation where he would be the guy. Using Demar as an example? Yeah WE DIDN’T TRADE FOR HIM.

All your centers you listed are making 14-22 million. Towns at a max. Turner is younger and salaries go up so 20 million sounds right.

And I’m sorry, your analysis of him is completely off. You either don’t know what you’re seeing or you don’t actually watch him. “Doesn’t offer as much spacing…” you just called him a traditional center, which already tells me how little you know about him. A TC can’t play more than 5 feet from the basket like Drummond or Javale. He can go out to the perimeter. Shooting 4% less than brook lopez doesn’t mean the other team just stays home. And the Lakers are the best in generating open looks. He’s going to be a matchup problem for other teams when they also have to counter AD. Your thinking is very limited on this.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Last 5 years

Games played
Brook:254
Turner: 242

3point %
Brook: 35%
Turner: 35%

TS%
Brook: 59.0
Turner: 58.8

Block%
Brook: 6.4%
Turner: 7.9%

Rebound Rate
Brook: 9.0
Turner: 12.8

Assist Rate
Brook: 5.4
Turner:6.0

I see a younger, more athletic Brook Lopez.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
That will feel like an mle level deal once the cap spike hits.

It will be interesting to see if the NBA manages to hit its target. It's been pretty quiet since the NBA tossed out the $75B number last year.

Working in media myself, there’s been a big market cooling with streaming services all getting hit hard. They’ve basically stopped buying new tv shows, and that could portend a disinclination to enter the bidding wars for the NBA, thereby lowering the prices. Or…they could decide to pivot away from tv and go hard into sports. It’s hard to say. The projections of i were to guess come under that number, but there still so be a jump, and i think is prodent to get guys under contract now before that happens.

We’re actually very fortunate to have gotten AD to take his full max. He’ll be playing at a big discount the last two years of his deal…but when it’s time to extend…hoo boy 32-year-old AD wanting 60-70 a year and Klutch being undefeated in negotiations with Rob?

The TV contract runs through the '25 season. Davis will need to opt into the last year of his contract if he wants to be a free agent when the new TV contract kicks in. At that point, he will be 32. He might just miss out on the gold rush, but we shall see. The league and the union may agree to spread out the spike this time.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the return of Iger to Disney affects things. There have often been rumors about Disney spinning off ABC/ESPN. It will also be interesting to see whether Apple gets interested, as it did with MLS. I think that $75B is optimistic, but we shall see.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

‘I’m not valued as anything more than a glorified role player here, and I want something more’ Myles Turner

Turner envisions himself as a high-end player and is wanting $20 -$25 million per year. On this team, he would be the 3rd or 4th option.
How well do you think he'll respond with fewer touches and a lot brighter spotlight. Media here can be brutal and the 3rd option is
the one that usually gets the blame. See Bosh, Love and now Westbrook.

I'd prefer Vucevic first or possibly the cheaper Potel, both know their roles and play them well. Both also, protect Davis' from bigger centers.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
I'd prefer Vucevic first or possibly the cheaper Potel, both know their roles and play them well. Both also, protect Davis' from bigger centers.

Someone that actually gets it.

Some of the others here should never talk bad about Pelinka here again considering how horrible their ideas are.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

That's a decent analogy, if you account for the fact that Lopez has evolved a lot over the course of his career. He didn't even make a three pointer until he was 26, his seventh year in the league. He was 1 for 10 that season. This year, the majority of his shots are threes. He was always a decent shot blocker, but this year he is leading the league. You don't often see guys who pivot at mid-career like he did.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

Still prefer Porky
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1599531961143345158?s=20&t=cOpb0dp6ZQvfOEgEVEKAFg

It's happening
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
‘I’m not valued as anything more than a glorified role player here, and I want something more’ Myles Turner

Turner envisions himself as a high-end player and is wanting $20 -$25 million per year. On this team, he would be the 3rd or 4th option.
How well do you think he'll respond with fewer touches and a lot brighter spotlight. Media here can be brutal and the 3rd option is
the one that usually gets the blame. See Bosh, Love and now Westbrook.

Exactly. Vucevic for some reason is tossed aside here like he's garbage. Guy can get 24/11 ... he won't need to as a Laker. He will open things up down low and stretch the floor.

Keep Russ, let him pick n roll teams to death w/Vu
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

A younger more athletic Turner that is better with; rebounds, assists, and blocks...shoots about the same TS% along with 3pt %. And by younger we mean 8 years younger...34 years old vs 26 years old.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Food for thought:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA
3PT Shot Making and Rim Shot Making grades this year:

Schröder: C-, D+
Bev: D-, F
Walker: D, D+
Bron: D, B
AD: D+, A-

Brown (D & B) and Reaves (B & B) off the bench could be notable.

Quote:
Hield B+ and Turner B for 3PT Shot Making this year, btw

Richardson's a B

[PJ] Washington's a D with Rozier & Oubre at Fs
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

Still prefer Porky

Between this and all your other trade suggestions, you have to be living in an alternate NBA universe. Is Ming over there? With him AWOL you are taking his mantle for worst NBA takes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Food for thought:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

His "grades" have never made a lot of sense to me. Over the years, I've seen him come up with a handful of things that were interesting. Most of it just seems sort of weird, though. In this case, his "grades" for Walker seem strange.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

A younger more athletic Turner that is better with; rebounds, assists, and blocks...shoots about the same TS% along with 3pt %. And by younger we mean 8 years younger...34 years old vs 26 years old.

Lopez brings availability; Turner stays hurt more than AD even
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Food for thought:

Quote:
Cranjis McBasketball
@Tim_NBA

His "grades" have never made a lot of sense to me. Over the years, I've seen him come up with a handful of things that were interesting. Most of it just seems sort of weird, though. In this case, his "grades" for Walker seem strange.

They account for openness. So it's a blend of how open each shot is (i believe it striates along nearest defender 5+ feet away, 2-4 feet away, on the shooter, 2 defenders on shooter), the league average of those kind of shots and then each player is put into a percentile--which gives you your letter grade. Steph is usually not the leading 3 point shooter year after year if you just go by percentage. But because virtually every 3 he shoots is either contested or heavily contested, he grades out in the 100th percentile (A+ grade) every year. Luke Kennard may shoot an equivalent (or better) percentage, but he gets a lot of his 3s off open looks, so his grade is (rightfully) a little lower.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

As shown above, over the last 5 years, Brook averages only 2.5 more games per season than Myles.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Last 5 years

Games played

3point %

TS%

Block%

Rebound Rate

Assist Rate

As shown above, over the last 5 years, Brook averages only 2.5 more games per season than Myles.

That's with an outlier of Lopez basically missing a whole season last year, though
#18 next...
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject:

The problem now is lakers are clicking, do they ride it out or if someone wants Russ, break the team again?
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:
The problem now is lakers are clicking, do they ride it out or if someone wants Russ, break the team again?

When I watch LeBron, I don't see an All-NBA player anymore. Sure he has good games here and there, but without Russ running the offense, I worry what this team would look like.

It's at least fun and competitive at the moment.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

AD is eventually gonna slow down offensively and you can’t hinge your hopes on LeBron like before, so yes we still need to make trades.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

AD is eventually gonna slow down offensively and you can’t hinge your hopes on LeBron like before, so yes we still need to make trades.

You're using words incorrectly. "Hinge"?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, we just "handled" the 2021 champions so I think we'll be fine and stand pat. No deals needed when we're winning. Or was it make deals when players have high value?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Nunn/Christie/jta/d jones for kuzma

Add picks as needed
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 738, 739, 740 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 739 of 2558
Jump to: