NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 983, 984, 985 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
ocho wrote:
levon wrote:
I think we have to trade Russ before the deadline if we want to optimally operate as an over-the-cap team. Otherwise next year's team is the same or worse than this year's, with no way to maneuver besides trading depth and picks again for another "star". Not to mention that Russ is a liability in any playoff-like game.

The Rui trade tipped the hand. Feels like Russ is on the move. If not, I have no idea what the hell they’re doing.

Could just be an effort to balance the roster out

Sure but it’s not worth handicapping your ability to improve next season to make a housekeeping move if that’s all you’re going to do.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Our squad still needs a little hart???

Quote:
Jerami Grant became eligible for a contract extension with the Trail Blazers earlier this month, and Portland has offered the athletic forward his maximum possible deal of four years, $112 million, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Grant has not accepted the offer, sources said, largely because the Blazers can extend him a larger contract with an additional fifth-year when free agency begins June 30.

At that point, Grant, who turns 29 in March, could receive $233 million over a five-year framework, although that upper range appears unrealistic. Grant has been on the record about his interest in sticking with Portland long term. He and franchise focal point Damian Lillard have held a close connection since playing on Team USA during the 2021 Olympics.

The rest of the Blazers’ roster seems far more unsettled ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline. Portland has given rival teams the impression the Blazers are open to discussing the majority of their players, particularly Josh Hart and Jusuf Nurkic, sources said, as the franchise remains committed to building a playoff contender around Lillard. Portland has engaged teams with an eye towards size with athleticism, plus wing-shooting defenders, sources said. Hart has become one of the buzzier names among league executives this week, as he’s expected to decline a $12.9 million player option for the 2023-2024 season.

Pels trying to make sure they swap us a low 1st rounder???
Quote:
New Orleans has been repeatedly mentioned as a suitor for Hawks forward John Collins, and the Pelicans have certainly registered their interest with Atlanta, sources told Yahoo Sports. The two teams would seem to be natural trade partners, with the Hawks eager to add defensive-minded players and the Pelicans looking to find greater offense and more shooting, although there has yet to be significant traction between the two teams, sources said.

Any pursuit of Collins, or a dreamier target like Raptors forward OG Anunoby — should the Raptors truly make him available — would induce some critical accounting for New Orleans’ cap sheet, however. The Pelicans have been pleased with Jonas Valanciunas’ fit next to Zion Williamson, sources said, but Collins or Anunoby would both appear to be maximized next to Williamson as small-ball centers. And New Orleans has shown a long history of avoiding the luxury tax. The Hawks, meanwhile, have no mandate to trade Collins, sources said, and Atlanta appears open to keeping the 25-year-old forward if no value deal materializes before the Feb. 9 deadline.

The Pelicans have discussed Jaxson Hayes, Naji Marshall and Devonte’ Graham in preliminary conversations around the league, sources said. Hayes will become a restricted free agent this offseason. Graham still has two years at over $12 million for each season remaining on his contract.

https://sports.yahoo.com/portland-aiming-to-extend-jerami-grant-but-is-open-to-move-others-in-trade-market-212259690.html
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I’m gonna wait to see how the team does on this road trip before thinking about a major shake up

No you’re not
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I’m gonna wait to see how the team does on this road trip before thinking about a major shake up

No you’re not

vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ocho wrote:
levon wrote:
I think we have to trade Russ before the deadline if we want to optimally operate as an over-the-cap team. Otherwise next year's team is the same or worse than this year's, with no way to maneuver besides trading depth and picks again for another "star". Not to mention that Russ is a liability in any playoff-like game.

The Rui trade tipped the hand. Feels like Russ is on the move. If not, I have no idea what the hell they’re doing.

That's interesting. I had the opposite feeling.

The alternative is trying really hard to meet GTJ or Turner's number in the offseason or something (which I think we'll come short of). But does that make next year's Lakers a contender? Probably not. In that case it's probably Rui + the next mMLE guy + 1sts being dangled for an upgrade next trade deadline.

What if you could get both Turner and Trent Jr in separate deals? Are we a contender then... I say if healthy, absolutely.

Would Jeanie open her pockets to re-sign them and bring back Austin and hopefully Dennis and Bryant via BAE/MLE split?

Remember bro, she essentially caps spending with the use of those exceptions.

NtpMLE & BAE are both hardcap triggering where team salary cannot exceed past the cap apron (max projection of 173m). This means we would only get to go beyond 8m at most past the luxury tax (max projection of 165m). So even as a repeat tax offender next year, the most she/ownership would spend in taxes is about 21m (nearly half of what they are projected to spend this year as a non repeater tax offender ie 44m).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No you’re not

Well then... something big is going down next week
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Magic are open to trading Gary Harris, Mo Bamba, RJ Hampton and Terrance Ross. Ross could potentially be bought out if not traded by the deadline. - @TheSteinLine

Uh how many mo’ times do I gotta say it…

#MakeADa4again
#TheRight4mula
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
The Magic are open to trading Gary Harris, Mo Bamba, RJ Hampton and Terrance Ross. Ross could potentially be bought out if not traded by the deadline. - @TheSteinLine

#MakeADa4again
#TheRight4mula

Bamba would basically be a Thomas Bryant replacement with slightly better defense and lower motor. Does that make him more playable in the playoffs, enough to justify trading Bev? I don't know.

Maybe the Magic go for Damian Jones + Walker + 2nd for Bamba?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
levon wrote:
Okay, and he's shooting 39% from the field, rounding up. If it weren't for his 90% from the line, he'd have an abysmal TS%. He's an excellent assist/TO guy and gets steals, but that's pretty much it for the rest of his value. He can't finish at the rim for anything. He doesn't rebound. He's 6 1 and will be target number one in every playoff series.

To suggest he's worth more than 2 firsts as an expiring is one of those Zach Lowe exuberant-overrating-aneurysm-on-air takes that he apologizes for in subsequent podcasts.

And FWIW, I get the sense most Raptors fans are sick of him at this point, and not just for his on-court play.

FVV's career percentage is .402. He was an all-star last year at .403. He's having an off year, but he's still one of the better players in the league. Oh, and Donovan Mitchell and Chris Paul are about the same height.

As for being worth more than two firsts, I didn't say that. I mean that our two FRPs aren't enough to get there. Our FRPs are 4 and 6 years away, and we don't have any decent players to attach them to. We might construct some combination of Beverley and whoever to get us there. Other teams can send the Raptors a real player or two. We can't compete with that.

And the year before that, his fg% was the same as this year. DAngelo Russell was an allstar too at one point.

Which team exactly is sending Toronto a real non-expiring player or two for an expiring FVV in a package that would be better than unprotected picks after LeBron's retired? They're going to get like one of the Clippers' guys making 15m and filler, maybe. Players that you wouldn't be getting good firsts for if you were to trade them otherwise.

I think you're going to be surprised.

I don't think that FVV can fetch two FRP because teams would have to see him as a strict expiring/rental. Now, if he would agree to a long-term extension as a condition of the trade? That might be different, although even then, I think that they wouldn't both be unprotected picks.

That said, other teams can probably beat a theoretical offer by us of one FRP. But if we offered both FRP and if their offers for GTJ were underwhelming (if we tried to get them both) and/or if Ujiri happened to really covet Christie and we included him, who knows.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I really hope we're not the team that trades for FVV. I have nothing against him but I'm also not a fan. I think he's fools gold and the team that trades for him (especially if they are trading multiple FRP) will regret it
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
I really hope we're not the team that trades for FVV. I have nothing against him but I'm also not a fan. I think he's fools gold and the team that trades for him (especially if they are trading multiple FRP) will regret it

I don't think we would trade both FRP for just FVV. If Trent were included, I think we realistically would. I suppose there would be risk that they both wouldn't re-sign, but to get a legit quality starting backcourt along with LeBron, AD, and some of the other depth we have, we'd seem to have a shot in the West if health cooperates.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Here's a trade the Lakers can make if the plan is not to give up any 1st round picks at the deadline.

To Lakers: Trent Jr/Hayward/McDaniels

To Toronto: Rozier

To Hornets: Westbrook/JTA

The Hornets do it for the precious cap space they want. Toronto should value Rozier's long term contract as they're about to lose both VanVleet and Trent Jr.

Then the Lakers have 3 1sts plus Hayward's expiring to go after someone that might become available in the summer.

If the plan is to hoard 1RPs for the summer, this might be the type of deal we see.

Last edited by Intlakeshow on Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject:

@levon: You think Bamba is “slightly better” on D than TB?

In 17mins per game Mo avgs 1blk (45% blk rate; for reference Myles is at 62% & AD at 58%) and is limiting his opps FG% to 47%.
In 22mins per game TB avgs 0.6blks (33% blk rate) and is limiting his opps FG% to 57.7% (worst on the team)

https://go.nba.com/y3544

Yeah, so I disagree more than “slightly” with your observation
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

In 17mins per game Mo avgs 1blk (45% blk rate; for reference Myles is at 62% & AD at 58%) and is limiting his opps FG% to 47%.
In 22mins per game TB avgs 0.6blks (33% blk rate) and is limiting his opps FG% to 57.7% (worst on the team)

Well, TB's D-EPM is 1st percentile (lol). So that's like totally unplayable in the playoffs. Bamba's is 27th percentile. Definitely not great for a center, and borderline unplayable in the playoffs. So I suppose it's an upgrade.

I'd be wary of paying Bamba his salary next season. I think we could pick up a more serviceable center from the buyout market or just FA. And trading Lonnie would mean losing a guy with upside to win a game that we otherwise shouldn't have when he goes on a hot streak, and a 38% 3pt shooter.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

If Lakers are adding offensive weapons, I'd much rather get Mo's defense even at the expense of TB
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Does Bev/Lonnie/Jones for Ross/Bamba work?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Most centers are definitely better defensively than TB.
But I don't know man. I'm watching Bamba, and I'm not that impressed.
Even defensively, seems late on rotations. And when he's not, he reaches so often. And he doesn't always take the right angle for blocks.

His 3 ball is good, but it's on low volume. He's still a project, and the coaches gotta do some serious work with him.

Is he an upgrade over TB? Defensively, it seems like it. Offensively, I don't see it.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
Here's a trade the Lakers can make if the plan is not to give up any 1st round picks at the deadline.

The Hornets do it for the precious cap space they want. Toronto should value Rozier's long term contract as they're about to lose both VanVleet and Trent Jr.

Then the Lakers have 3 1sts plus Hayward's expiring to go after someone that might become available in the summer.

If the plan is to hoard 1RPs for the summer, this might be the type of deal we see.

Toronto would have to like Rozier enough to do this, though. And hey, maybe they do. But it's also quite possible that they'd just rather deal one or both of FVV/Trent for picks and expiring salary, thus opening up a ton of space this summer. And with Siakam entering the final year of his deal next season, it could set Toronto up for some flexibility. Armed with picks and space, could they try to re-tool around Siakam, Barnes, and OG? Or, instead, could they do a Utah-style firesale where they move Siakam and OG and essentially start over around Barnes and a whole slew of picks?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Well, TB's D-EPM is 1st percentile (lol). So that's like totally unplayable in the playoffs. Bamba's is 27th percentile. Definitely not great for a center, and borderline unplayable in the playoffs. So I suppose it's an upgrade.

I'd be wary of paying Bamba his salary next season. I think we could pick up a more serviceable center from the buyout market or just FA. And trading Lonnie would mean losing a guy with upside to win a game that we otherwise shouldn't have when he goes on a hot streak, and a 38% 3pt shooter.

See I look at bringing in a defensive center with stretch capability (btw Mo shooting a 39% clip on 2.6 attempts per) as a way to also “trade” for a defensively elite wing.

If you bring in a center, you’re moving and giving Ham justification defensively to move AD to where he’s com4table.

Any trade should have it where defense is the priority, especially if they sincere in gunning for a ring this year.

#Winning4mula
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Bamba isn't good enough to justify such a trade, since Ross is total dead weight.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
levon wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

See I look at bringing in a defensive center with stretch capability (btw Mo shooting a 39% clip on 2.6 attempts per) as a way to also “trade” for a defensively elite wing.

If you bring in a center, you’re moving and giving Ham justification defensively to move AD to where he’s com4table.

Any trade should have it where defense is the priority, especially if they sincere in gunning for a ring this year.

#Winning4mula

But Bamba's not a good defender either, and he costs more money. He's just a guy that thinks selling out for as many blocks as possible is good defense.

I agree we at least need a defensively neutral backup center. Poeltl would be amazing, but he also wants the bag next year. And doesn't space.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Most centers are definitely better defensively than TB.
But I don't know man. I'm watching Bamba, and I'm not that impressed.
Even defensively, seems late on rotations. And when he's not, he reaches so often. And he doesn't always take the right angle for blocks.

His 3 ball is good, but it's on low volume. He's still a project, and the coaches gotta do some serious work with him.

Is he an upgrade over TB? Defensively, it seems like it. Offensively, I don't see it.

If we had to trade 3 SRPs on a reclamation project, it shoulda been for Bamba.

You already know where this is heading if dude is had for a similar package by one of our opps.

Nothing against Rui, but my personal emphasis on upgrading is moving AD back to the 4 and making our defense a beast.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:

#MakeADa4again
#TheRight4mula

Gimmie Mo Bamba please.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:

Toronto would have to like Rozier enough to do this, though. And hey, maybe they do. But it's also quite possible that they'd just rather deal one or both of FVV/Trent for picks and expiring salary, thus opening up a ton of space this summer. And with Siakam entering the final year of his deal next season, it could set Toronto up for some flexibility. Armed with picks and space, could they try to re-tool around Siakam, Barnes, and OG? Or, instead, could they do a Utah-style firesale where they move Siakam and OG and essentially start over around Barnes and a whole slew of picks?

The problem with the cap space plan for Toronto is that they're in... Toronto. But you're right about them having to value Rozier for the deal to happen, I personally think they would.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Bamba isn't good enough to justify such a trade, since Ross is total dead weight.

He’s a 6’7 player that shoots 38% from 3. He ain’t THAT dead.

And Mamba is definitely good enough fit wise for this team. He would make AD a 4 again. Plus like Rui, Bamba is a young talent that just needs a change of teams, especially to one that fits.

Which would be here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 983, 984, 985 ... 2544, 2545, 2546  Next
Page 984 of 2546
Jump to: