NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 2552, 2553, 2554  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
levon wrote:
You don't empty your cupboard for Beverley, Bojan, and Reddish. If that's the best deal available for 2 first rounders, wait until the deadline or even Christmas when you would have paid off some of Westbrook and teams are clearer about blowing it up vs contending.

For the second time, no one is saying we should use 2 FRPs for any of the trade packages we speculate on acquiring, let alone this one.

It'll cost a FRP to get rid of Westbrook. Why do people keep ignoring that simple (sad) fact?

You should check your post earlier at 7:54AM.

joeblow wrote:
If the Lakers can snag Bogdonovich, Reddish and Pat Bev for Westbrook and the two FRPs, I would be very pleased with this off season.

I never advocated including 2 FRPs in the deal to be honest. As you noted, it was only an imagined machination that would work under the CBA rules. Would any of those teams do it? Who knows? It ultimately comes down to the picks probably.

I probably wouldn't include 2 FRPs either. Although there are pie-in-the-sky scenarios where all 3 of them could close, they each have tangible flaws, Pat's size, Bogs' defense, and Cam's inconsistency/inexperience. You'd still have to depend on at least one of our current players to fill a closing role with no more FRPs to fill that need later.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
the speed at which we've convinced ourselves that Utah's mediocre perimeter castoffs are worth 2 FRPs is very troubling. Hopefully FO isn't as shortsighted.

I would honestly rather let Westbrook expire than trade for Bojan/Beverly/Clarkson pupu platter.

I think people need to wrap their head around one of two outcomes: we either trade both picks to dump Russ AND get back valuable players or we start the season with Russ as a starter. It’s one or the other. We’ve been dangling the Russ and 1 FRP package and nobody is interested.

I feel like i was one of the first people to wrap their head around this. But to me it's only worth doing if the trade improves the team enough to where we're a semi-contender. The Turner/Hield trade is the only one i've seen so far that's worth 2 1sts or possibly even 1. Kyrie i would do for one 1st even though i think we're not a serious contender with him since we'd still have horrible spacing and mediocre D.

Yeah the Kyrie situation appears to be dead if it was ever alive. The Utah deal doesn’t make much sense. The only one that seems worth it is the Indy deal which I think we will regret not doing.

The team stinks right now and the Westbrook situation likely gets ugly if we bring him into camp. I don’t envision a very fun season.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
the speed at which we've convinced ourselves that Utah's mediocre perimeter castoffs are worth 2 FRPs is very troubling. Hopefully FO isn't as shortsighted.

I would honestly rather let Westbrook expire than trade for Bojan/Beverly/Clarkson pupu platter.

I think people need to wrap their head around one of two outcomes: we either trade both picks to dump Russ AND get back valuable players or we start the season with Russ as a starter. It’s one or the other. We’ve been dangling the Russ and 1 FRP package and nobody is interested.

I feel like i was one of the first people to wrap their head around this. But to me it's only worth doing if the trade improves the team enough to where we're a semi-contender. The Turner/Hield trade is the only one i've seen so far that's worth 2 1sts or possibly even 1. Kyrie i would do for one 1st even though i think we're not a serious contender with him since we'd still have horrible spacing and mediocre D.

No doubt we're so deep in the hole in terms or roster quality and draft assets that there might not be a deal out there where everybody gets what they want. I think Kyrie's apparent availability created a unique situation where we thought we could buy low on a high-reward/high-risk player. Turner/Hield doesn't do it for me though. I'm not sure you can close with Turner consistently and we're still left with no 2-way wings.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Yeah the Kyrie situation appears to be dead if it was ever alive. The Utah deal doesn’t make much sense. The only one that seems worth it is the Indy deal which I think we will regret not doing.

The team stinks right now and the Westbrook situation likely gets ugly if we bring him into camp. I don’t envision a very fun season.

That might be the best deal available but who do you close with and how far do you see that team getting?
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
joeblow wrote:
levon wrote:
You don't empty your cupboard for Beverley, Bojan, and Reddish. If that's the best deal available for 2 first rounders, wait until the deadline or even Christmas when you would have paid off some of Westbrook and teams are clearer about blowing it up vs contending.

For the second time, no one is saying we should use 2 FRPs for any of the trade packages we speculate on acquiring, let alone this one.

It'll cost a FRP to get rid of Westbrook. Why do people keep ignoring that simple (sad) fact?

Because it's bs from the rest of the league. Westbrook's contract has value which only grows as the season goes along. Dumping an expiring for an unprotected first is the stupidest thing we could do. We didn't do it last deadline and we won't do it now.

You only have the 27 and 29 picks to upgrade the roster. Either that haul gets you back into contention or right on the doorstep, or you punt. A half measure is the worst of both worlds.

Typically I would agree but at this point Lebron might only have 1-2 semi prime years remaining. I can't see them going into the season with WB on the roster.

If it were a $15mil expiring sure I could see it having value at the deadline. Which teams if any will actually have $47mil in contracts to send back at the deadline? I'm guessing not many. Looking at next summer's FA list it's not as if there are a bunch of desirable FA's so teams might not even be looking to dump players for a huge expiring contract. If Lakers can find a deal now they should probably take it. FWIW I would not deal 2 FRP's. I'd try to work something with WB + 1FRP and hopefully fill 2-3 holes on the roster with one swoop. Getting involved as the 3rd team in the Utah/NY trade might be their best option to improve the team for this coming season. I'd make pretty darn sure Lebron is going to extend for at least 1 more season before even considering to trade another draft pick though.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

The infamous cuffs on Twitter who is close with LeBron is suggesting that Laker fans are getting frustrated for no reason basically hinting that there is gonna be moves coming that will give us excitement.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

That might be the best deal available but who do you close with and how far do you see that team getting?

Reeves
Hield
James
AD
Turner

Bench Hield for Brown if he’s getting cooked. How far they go depends on a lot of factors obviously. You need the kind of performances from Bron and AD that we got in the title run. I think that’s a nice balanced team that can make a run if things go well. Conversely, I think we are currently one of the worst teams in the West.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject:

daytripper wrote:
levon wrote:
joeblow wrote:
levon wrote:

Because it's bs from the rest of the league. Westbrook's contract has value which only grows as the season goes along. Dumping an expiring for an unprotected first is the stupidest thing we could do. We didn't do it last deadline and we won't do it now.

You only have the 27 and 29 picks to upgrade the roster. Either that haul gets you back into contention or right on the doorstep, or you punt. A half measure is the worst of both worlds.

Typically I would agree but at this point Lebron might only have 1-2 semi prime years remaining. I can't see them going into the season with WB on the roster.

If it were a $15mil expiring sure I could see it having value at the deadline. Which teams if any will actually have $47mil in contracts to send back at the deadline? I'm guessing not many. Looking at next summer's FA list it's not as if there are a bunch of desirable FA's so teams might not even be looking to dump players for a huge expiring contract. If Lakers can find a deal now they should probably take it. FWIW I would not deal 2 FRP's. I'd try to work something with WB + 1FRP and hopefully fill 2-3 holes on the roster with one swoop. Getting involved as the 3rd team in the Utah/NY trade might be their best option to improve the team for this coming season. I'd make pretty darn sure Lebron is going to extend for at least 1 more season before even considering to trade another draft pick though.

If I'm the Lakers, I look to trade both picks as well by canvassing the league for a really substantial upgrade. I don't want Westbrook starting the season because it's disruptive not just for Lebron but for our new coach too, but 2 first round picks is obviously not my starting point in negotiations.

And there's a very clear decision boundary for me where I would actually do a deal involving both firsts, and that's if afterwards we would be projected for top 4 in the West. If that's not the case, I don't give up both picks. I would maybe package 1 pick with THT and Nunn for someone like Myles Turner, but I'd even hesitate in that case due to injury concerns.

I think people need to realize what the 27 and 29 are for the Lakers. They're the last few pieces of non-player value they have to upgrade a roster with two max players on it, and not just for this year. If the league doesn't value the picks as much as we do, then there's not really a deal to be had. I'd much rather do a smaller deal, let Westbrook expire and have cap next year to sign another non-minimum FA or two and explore using the other pick for other deals. I don't think people fully appreciate how far we are from contention right now.

In my opinion the only rumored player that actually makes us a threat is Kyrie Irving. And I think the Lakers think the same and will hold out until that door is closed, even if it means the trade deadline.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
levon wrote:

can snag Bogdonovich, Reddish and Pat Bev for Westbrook and the two FRPs, I would be very pleased with this off season.

Not being a d*ck but this is what u posted Joe.
logical24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

Plan A Kyrie

Plan B Turner/Buddy/Dennis(Sign vet min)

Plan C Bojan/Pat/Beasley/Cam

Plan D Build a new staples arena with all the bricks by yours truly Russ.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

This is obviously a crude exercise ignoring a million other factors and synergy but Buddy and Myles' combined WAR (wins-above-replacement) last year was about 5. Westbrook was -0.7 (lol). So let's say adding those players improves us by 6 wins next season.

So with just those guys (not factoring the other team improvements) we go from 33 wins last year to ... 39. Which makes us a 10th seed, 3 wins below the Clippers.

How much upside and health is left on this roster to climb up even higher than that? What's the ceiling? 6th seed?

Only the 95 Houston Rockets won the title as a 6th seed. That's the lone example in history. Even if you make it to 4th, only one 4th seed as won the title.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
This is obviously a crude exercise ignoring a million other factors and synergy but Buddy and Myles' combined WAR (wins-above-replacement) last year was about 5. Westbrook was -0.7 (lol). So let's say adding those players improves us by 6 wins next season.

So with just those guys (not factoring the other team improvements) we go from 33 wins to ... 39. Which makes us a 10th seed, 3 wins below the Clippers.

How much upside is left on this roster to climb up even higher than that? What's the ceiling? 6th seed?

Only the 95 Houston Rockets won the title as a 6th seed. That's the lone example in history.

The Westbrook trade that makes us a slam dunk contender doesn’t exist. So now we are talking about doing a trade that takes us out of the play-in tier into the next tier above and hope the two stars and Ham can get something to click to make a run happen. It’s not a great option, but the other option is likely shipping another lottery pick to New Orleans.

Btw the difference in the West last season between the 3 seed and the 6 seed was 5 wins.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Westbrook trade that makes us a slam dunk contender doesn’t exist. So now we are talking about doing a trade that takes us out of the play-in tier into the next tier above and hope the two stars and Ham can get something to click to make a run happen. It’s not a great option, but the other option is likely shipping another lottery pick to New Orleans.

Nice Post Ocho!

I would say the bolded unto itself is a sunk cost and t/f not relevant in future decisions. If you were more speaking euphemistically about having a lousy season, yeah .

While no one is looking forward to the prospect of starting the season with Russ, patience imo is better than best bad plan from a set of pre-training camp options.

Last edited by Laker's Fan on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Logical Inspector
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The infamous cuffs on Twitter who is close with LeBron is suggesting that Laker fans are getting frustrated for no reason basically hinting that there is gonna be moves coming that will give us excitement.

IG interpretation is way different than the actual meaning behind the said tweet.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't think I've seen Cuffs say one thing that came true for the Lakers other than when Lebron initially signed.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
levon wrote:

So with just those guys (not factoring the other team improvements) we go from 33 wins to ... 39. Which makes us a 10th seed, 3 wins below the Clippers.

How much upside is left on this roster to climb up even higher than that? What's the ceiling? 6th seed?

Only the 95 Houston Rockets won the title as a 6th seed. That's the lone example in history.

We're both saying the same thing. The odds of that miracle turnaround are very very low. I think they go up some with Kyrie, but not by much. So the reality is we either make a small deal to be competitive this year and build towards the future, or we don't make a deal at all and look towards next year. Sorry Lebron.

And honestly, we might be looking at another injury riddled season which makes this all moot anyway. Imagine trading two picks for role players when both your stars get injured again and the role players walk next year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
ocho wrote:
levon wrote:

We're both saying the same thing. The odds of that miracle turnaround are very very low. I think they go up some with Kyrie, but not by much. So the reality is we either make a small deal to be competitive this year and build towards the future, or we don't make a deal at all and look towards next year. Sorry Lebron.

And honestly, we might be looking at another injury riddled season which makes this all moot anyway. Imagine trading two picks for role players when both your stars get injured again and the role players walk next year.

Yeah I think that’s the same trepidation Pelinka has. For me, we’ve got two NBA 75th Team members. We owe it to them to go for it. I understand those that disagree though.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

Nice Post Ocho!

I would say the bolded unto itself is a sunk cost and t/f not relevant in future decisions. If you were more speaking euphemistically about having a lousy season, yeah .

While no one is looking forward to the prospect of starting the season with Russ, patience imo is better than best bad plan from a set of pre-training camp options.

I guess the question I ask is, what are we being patient for exactly? Cap space next summer? There’s nobody but Kyrie and nobody can know what that guy is going to do. And Lebron will be a year older. Are we being patient for the 27 and 29 draft picks? We don’t know where those picks will land. That’s worth washing our hands of the Lebron/Davis era? When are we going to have two players of this caliber again? A decade? More? If we had our pick next year I’d be more open to having the season we are about to have.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject:

Let’s not start posting CuffstheLegend who has always been full of crap.
Let’s not forget the “Kawhi is a Laker”
Cuffs is not going to break any news…
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

If this was 30 year old Lebron, sure bring in some quality role players. That's all he would really need if AD was healthy to chip.

But 40 year old LBJ - to me if we are dumping multiple picks, better bring in someone with star power if you are trying to contend. I'm Kyrie or bust camp at this point, you're wasting your time otherwise treading water.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://twitter.com/CuffsTheLegend/status/1555422768291844096?s=20&t=d1qniD9j08iJ8eDWheDmSg
i do agree with him on this one..
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I would do

THT
Gabriel (for matching salaries)
2023 2nd Rounder (Chicago or our own)

for Patrick Beverley. I'd even throw in a distant second for Ainge's pick fetish, or Stanley instead of Gabriel.

Only in that case would I do Russ + the 2 firsts for Buddy and Turner.

Beverley/Nunn/Christie
Buddy/Reaves/LW4
Lebron/JTA/TBJ/Stanley
AD/Lebron/Swider
Turner/TB/Jones

I'd still look to trade one of Nunn or LW4 at the deadline for a more balanced fit, ideally at the 4.

That team I can see, health-permitting, as a 3 seed below GS and Phoenix. You have shooting, spacing, size, switchability, and secondary and tertiary playmaking in Ham's system.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Here are some excerpts from Buha's mailbag. It's just his assessment, which is nothing earth shattering. However, you can expect this to echo around the blogosphere, just like the last one.

Quote:
Yes, insofar as I think the ultimate price to trade Westbrook will include attaching two first-round picks. If the Lakers can finagle an alternate outcome — be it a pick swap or two second-round picks — that’s a win for them, in my opinion. That seems unlikely, though, which is why there’s a possibility Westbrook isn’t traded.

Between the two trades mentioned, the Lakers would prefer the Irving option. I think that’s a deal they’d eventually be willing to include two first-round picks for. I don’t think they’d be willing to do so in the Indiana deal.

Quote:
Now, to the second question, there will come a time in which the Lakers have to decide if they’re willing to continue to play hardball and risk missing their window to trade Westbrook. There is a sense among some that training camp is a soft deadline to move Westbrook. If he’s on the roster in late September, there will be a massive off-court distraction, with the media asking about his future, his relationship with James and the organization, Ham’s vision of his role and responsibilities.

Quote:
In terms of likelihood at this moment, I’d rank them as 1) Indiana, 2) Brooklyn, 3) Utah and 4) New York. I think one and two are close, but Indiana seems more open to trading than Brooklyn at this moment. (There’s also a path to a three-way deal with Utah and New York.)

Quote:
The Lakers have already begun exploring other options. They’ve spoken with multiple teams beyond Brooklyn and even Indiana. The rub is that they’re not interested in giving up picks — definitely not two — if it’s not going to dramatically improve the roster. Therefore, unless a hypothetical trade checks that box, the Lakers will likely hold onto Westbrook and seek alternative solutions to their problem.

https://theathletic.com/3476573/2022/08/05/lakers-mailbag-westbrook-trade/
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

What are the odds that our best option to BOTH send Westbrook packing AND get Kyrie is to make which ever team trades for Durant must take on Westbrook's contract?

Just seems that what ever team trades for Durant has to give up a TON and will be willing to give up a TON to get him....Why not take on Westbrook's contract instead of giving up more 1st rounders? Nets like this because without Durant they don't want anything to do with Kyrie and its been said that the market for Kyrie and all he brings to a team is not that hot. Lakers could be the best option they have.

Boston gets:
Durant
Curry
Westbrook

Nets get:
Brown
Smart
White
Horford
THT
Both Lakers '27 and '29 1st rounders
Two 1st rounders from Boston

Lakers get:
Kyrie
Harris

That was just for fun example but I still think who ever goes after Durant could be the perfect 3-team trade to send Westbrook out and bring in Kyrie.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
levon wrote:

You should check your post earlier at 7:54AM.

joeblow wrote:
If the Lakers can snag Bogdonovich, Reddish and Pat Bev for Westbrook and the two FRPs, I would be very pleased with this off season.

I never advocated including 2 FRPs in the deal to be honest. As you noted, it was only an imagined machination that would work under the CBA rules. Would any of those teams do it? Who knows? It ultimately comes down to the picks probably.

I probably wouldn't include 2 FRPs either. Although there are pie-in-the-sky scenarios where all 3 of them could close, they each have tangible flaws, Pat's size, Bogs' defense, and Cam's inconsistency/inexperience. You'd still have to depend on at least one of our current players to fill a closing role with no more FRPs to fill that need later.

King Randle wrote:
Not being a d*ck but this is what u posted Joe.

I read these two posts and asked myself, "What in the world are they talking about?"

Now I see what's happening. Maybe it's semantics, but there is likely confusion on what's being stated by all sides.

The quote of mine approving the trade proposal is what I support - no confusion there - but I clearly show that WB is part of it. When it was first challenged, I said that it costs one FRP to ditch WB, and spending one more FRP to get three contributing role players for areas of need is worth it to me.

After that, several posters stated they would not trade two FRPs for a mediocre package of role players. That's when I chimed in two more times to clarify no one says we should do that; it's one FRP to ditch WB and the other one is used for pieces.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 2552, 2553, 2554  Next
Page 120 of 2554
Jump to: