NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
So Indiana with Lebron James and Anthony Davis is respectable?

Actually yes. In 2020-21 we actually had depth before we traded that for Russ and we won 58% of the games with LBJ/AD missing around the same % of games.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
01-03-2021

Watching Thomas Bryant without the basketball.

He boxes out on defense. He challenges drives outside of the restricted area without flopping. He might be just what they need at the center position. We all know about the outside shooting, but he sets screens and gets open under the basket for a quick dump off a la Antawn Jamison.

honestly, if Russ bought in and did all those little things when his jumpers weren't dropping, we wouldn't be as bad as we did
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
So Indiana with Lebron James and Anthony Davis is respectable?

Actually yes. In 2020-21 we actually had depth before we traded that for Russ and we won 58% of the games with LBJ/AD missing around the same % of games.

Exactly imagine Brogdon, LaVert, Turner, Hield with AD and Bron...yeah I think that's title contending.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

The biggest flaw in Russell's game is his free throw shooting. I don't think that changes in an off-season.

He's still lightning quick. He's an elite rebounder and a passer. He's been asked to play defense. He has the physical tools and it's a contract year. He has to buy-in, or buy-out (see what I did there).

I wouldn't worry about the "jumper not falling"

I worry our closing lineup has a bunch of 70% free throw shooters, including the guy who bricked game tying free throws last year.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Exactly imagine Brogdon, LaVert, Turner, Hield with AD and Bron...yeah I think that's title contending.

Malcolm Brogdon. 36 games played.
Anthony Davis. 40 games played.
Myles Turner. 42 games played.

You guys are nuts. Good luck winning anything when your starters play half a season.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The biggest flaw in Russell's game is his free throw shooting. I don't think that changes in an off-season.

He's still lightning quick. He's an elite rebounder and a passer. He's been asked to play defense. He has the physical tools and it's a contract year. He has to buy-in, or buy-out (see what I did there).

I wouldn't worry about the "jumper not falling"

I worry our closing lineup has a bunch of 70% free throw shooters, including the guy who bricked game tying free throws last year.

If his biggest flaw is his free throw shooting, then his missed layups & turnovers have to be second and third because those were problematic areas as well.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

If his biggest flaw is his free throw shooting, then his missed layups & turnovers have to be second and third because those were problematic areas as well.

Every player misses layups. We watched Derek Fisher for almost 20 years. No one started a circle jerk to a Derek Fisher missed layup compilation. You guys are disgusting for that.

I figured the turnovers were a chemistry issue. Another guy on the team averaged just as many turnovers.

Some of those turnovers weren't on Russell. Dwight fumbled almost every post entry pass. Blame IQ, Russell never should have been passing to Dwight. We all know Dwight has bad hands. But the passes were the right play.

If that was Pau, who had soft hands, he would have finished those plays rather than fumble the ball.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Every player misses layups. We watched Derek Fisher for almost 20 years. No one started a circle jerk to a Derek Fisher missed layup compilation. You guys are disgusting for that.

I figured the turnovers were a chemistry issue. Another guy on the team averaged just as many turnovers.

Some of those turnovers weren't on Russell. Dwight fumbled almost every post entry pass. Blame IQ, Russell never should have passed to Dwight, since we all know Dwight has bad hands, but the passes were the right play.

If that was Pau, who had soft hands, he would have finished those plays rather than fumble the ball.

D fish knew his role and did it well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

Russ’s flaws are way more than free throw shooting lol. Off ball defense. 3 point shooting. Rotating on defense. Getting back on defense. Suspect finishing inside. He also had the most take fouls in the NBA which is now going to be penalized. He is who he is at this point of his illustrious career.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wonder what the plan is for AD, in terms of position this year. We have 3 bigs on the roster, but it also makes a lot of sense to have that since AD gets hurt a lot and Bryant is coming off some injuries as well.

Definitely think with Westbrook you have to have AD at the 5.

I think this is where having TB is huge. I think he should get the nod and hopefully he stays reasonably healthy. I don't see a better option in the front court.

Quote:

We should feed off some of the stuff that worked last year with Lebron at the 5, and get some big and smaller defensive wings to compliment that. Instead we just went with a repeat of last year's set up, only with a lot more younger FAs vs the old washed up FAs. Sure this may make us better, but I don't get our plan for the big 3. We want to keep Lebron, we are not open to moving WB with 2 picks, we want to keep AD, yet we also want to play bigs like TBryant/DJones, and our best big wing may be Swider ...... The way this roster is constructed is not at all going to maximize Lebron, AD or Westbrook.

We could be a halfway decent team if we ran AD, Bron, WB at the 5/4/1 with 2 quality 3nD wings, and then ran Lebron as a backup 5. This blue print had the most success of any kind of blend last year, only we lacked AD health AND we lacked the wings. I wonder what our FO is thinking to be honest. They aren't willing to give the picks up to move WB, but also want to keep Lebron for 2 years and have pretty much built an identical roster to last year (Allbeit a lot younger which should lead to more energy and wins). Why not shop the FRPs, THT/Nunn package and get some value there? We need some defensive big wings that can compliment AD/Bron/WB.

I wish we had some kind of full investment into a style of play and way to maximize the big 3. We are open to keeping the big 3, made a big coaching change to get WB's respect/manage, yet we made no real roster changes that would lead to a better end result that really matters (Championship level play). I'm not saying we can win a ring with this 3, but we could be a top 3 team in the West if we had proper GM who knew how to build a roster. Not a GM who seems to just be a mediator between players wishes/agents/owners.

The way this all is set up, Pelinka can escape the heat again by blaming it all on the FO's lack of interest in moving the FRPs and Westbrook. A good GM comes in and if he's forced to keep WB because the price is too much to move him, actually tries to put forth a roster that can win. WB has flaws, but he is easily a NBA level player. It's not like we have Smush Parker, here. We could be doing some things with this group, we just have no vision. We won't move WB, but we also don't move pieces like THT/Nunn+FRPs to get the big wings this team needs around AD/Bron/WB. There was some moderate success when the team played well with Stanley, now imagine having a dude full time who was Stanley's size and could shoot 3s/defend and also having a KCP type 2 guard. Now you have talent to play with the big 3, and can also run Lebron as a small ball 5.

Way I see it we just subbed out old guys like Dwight, DAJ for TBryant/Jones, and same for other old guys like Baze/Bradley/Melo for Walker/Brown/Anderson etc.

No doubt they should be getting wings as they would fit no matter which direction you go moving forward. The glaring problem is lack of salary fodder. They may need to wait until 12/15 to use Walker's salary. Available now to trade: THT, Nunn, Austin, Stan, Wenyen = $21.3 aggregated x 125% = potentially $26+ mil coming back. On the other hand, you can boost that figure by doing sham sign and trades with any of our orphan FAs. It triggers the hard cap for our trading partner but it doesn't matter for a team like the Kings who already did that when signing Monk

The bigger wings I'd pursue would fit. OG Anunoby (maybe not pipe for THT plus pick(s) considering Toronto's attempts to get THT In the past) and Harrison Barnes are the first that come to mind for me. But I don't think either of their teams are looking to move them (for now).

But now you're left with limited options to get that smaller wing. Guys like Burks, JRich, and Barton come a bit cheaper but you still might be short on salary fodder. Is the team willing to wait until 12/15 before Walker becomes trade eligible? How much damage is done by then? Trades are also more difficult to execute at that point once roster caps are set.

I could roll with something like:
AD, TB, DJ
Barnes, (AD), Swider
Bron, Brown, JTA
Burks, Reaves, Christie
Russ, Schro/Bledsoe

Last edited by gng930 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:32 am; edited 5 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
Then you should be happy with the Indy deal.

You get Buddy and they'll throw in an expiring Turner as well for Russ.

Just prep to pony up.

Indy might trade to take our first round picks but they have no interest in Russ. They need to win any trade with the Lakers.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
King Randle wrote:

You guys are nuts. Good luck winning anything when your starters play half a season.

Assuming everyone is healthy Einstein...just like if the Lakers make the deal...assuming everyone is healthy. Ming stick to reading other teams forums...you're pretty good at that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
some of the posters here just don’t make sense. Turner gives us a much better chance than Russ….and we still have Nunn and can sign Dennis if need be. Everyone’s is entitled to their own opinion but wanting to keep Russ instead of getting Turner is absolutely puzzling.

I'm not going to say that I'd rather keep Westbrook (if this option was really on the table), but let's not idealize Turner. He's an injury prone big man whose primary value is defense. He shoots the three, but below league average. The metrics generally rate him as a negative player on offense.

Is he a guy I would like to have on the team? Sure. But if we are in a position in which we can add one useful player in a Westbrook trade, is he the guy I would pick? Not a chance. He addresses none of our pressing needs, and we sure don't need another player who is likely to miss at least a quarter of the season. We could have Lebron, Davis, Bryant, and Turner all wearing ties at games. Given a choice, I'd take Hield in a heartbeat, because he actually addresses a critical need, even if he has warts. Turner's defense would be useful when he is actually able to play, but it would not help us anywhere near as much as Hield's shooting. This is not because Hield is necessarily a better player in absolute terms. It's because Hield matches our greatest deficiency, while Turner does not address any of our critical needs.

AH that’s what I’m addressing as well…it’s slim pickings right? You tell me what’s realistic….idk honestly if the Indy deal is but it’s been reported by multiple sources. Kyrie is probably out. Utah rumor just started last week and NY rumor is from one guy….so let’s say the Indy deal for Russ is the only one out there….I believe it makes us better for 2 positions of need if Hield is included….I really don’t understand the hate on this deal and the preference to run in back with Russ.

You are giving up even more of the future in years when Lebron and probably AD will be long gone. Years like this past season when the team fails to make the playoffs and watches another team use our draft pick. That is what is not to like about a deal that wouldn’t make us contenders.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Russ’s flaws are way more than free throw shooting lol. Off ball defense. 3 point shooting. Rotating on defense. Getting back on defense. Suspect finishing inside. He also had the most take fouls in the NBA which is now going to be penalized. He is who he is at this point of his illustrious career.

I actually think you are being kind. He is also a TO machine, awkward running an O, and dents the rim (if he even hits it) both in his inside and outside game.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You are giving up even more of the future in years when Lebron and probably AD will be long gone. Years like this past season when the team fails to make the playoffs and watches another team use our draft pick. That is what is not to like about a deal that wouldn’t make us contenders.

We will have a draft pick this year. New Orleans is a play-in team like the Lakers. We may even keep our own pick. We will have cap space and can create more cap space by trading Talen for Eric Gordon.

We can finally start to rebuild in 2023 with cap space and draft picks. No more minimum contracts. We can actually sign free agents.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:47 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Assuming everyone is healthy Einstein...just like if the Lakers make the deal...assuming everyone is healthy. Ming stick to reading other teams forums...you're pretty good at that.

You can’t assume that
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

Domantas Sabonis won as many games for the Pacers (16-47) as Anthony Davis (17-40) won for the Lakers.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
some of the posters here just don’t make sense. Turner gives us a much better chance than Russ….and we still have Nunn and can sign Dennis if need be. Everyone’s is entitled to their own opinion but wanting to keep Russ instead of getting Turner is absolutely puzzling.

I'm not going to say that I'd rather keep Westbrook (if this option was really on the table), but let's not idealize Turner. He's an injury prone big man whose primary value is defense. He shoots the three, but below league average. The metrics generally rate him as a negative player on offense.

Is he a guy I would like to have on the team? Sure. But if we are in a position in which we can add one useful player in a Westbrook trade, is he the guy I would pick? Not a chance. He addresses none of our pressing needs, and we sure don't need another player who is likely to miss at least a quarter of the season. We could have Lebron, Davis, Bryant, and Turner all wearing ties at games. Given a choice, I'd take Hield in a heartbeat, because he actually addresses a critical need, even if he has warts. Turner's defense would be useful when he is actually able to play, but it would not help us anywhere near as much as Hield's shooting. This is not because Hield is necessarily a better player in absolute terms. It's because Hield matches our greatest deficiency, while Turner does not address any of our critical needs.

AH that’s what I’m addressing as well…it’s slim pickings right? You tell me what’s realistic….idk honestly if the Indy deal is but it’s been reported by multiple sources. Kyrie is probably out. Utah rumor just started last week and NY rumor is from one guy….so let’s say the Indy deal for Russ is the only one out there….I believe it makes us better for 2 positions of need if Hield is included….I really don’t understand the hate on this deal and the preference to run in back with Russ.

That's your opinion bro...not facts at all...are best chance of winning is right now...not the future with unknown picks...and you don't know if it would make us contenders.....if healthy it might....get off your high horse....your opinions are exactly that...no better than anyone else's...in fact, one can argue there worse.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
King Randle wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
King Randle wrote:

You can’t assume that

You're right...why even have a season...we might all be injured....there's no point of even exploring trades since we have AD and he's always hurt. We're done...leave everything alone...don't try improving this team....It's all for not.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject:

They can make trades with Indiana without including Russell Westbrook.

Myles for Talen and Kendrick

It even creates more cap space in 2023 moving Talen's contract. However, Kevin Pritchard either asks for Anthony Davis and/or two first round picks.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

I am scared to death of Rob. I have no confidence in him and the supposed chatter (LJ extension and the soft deadline) is making me even more nervous. If he exhausts our picks for garbage, we are going to be in a MAJOR hole for a long period of time. Hopefully, he surprises us all and pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

It even creates more cap space in 2023 moving Talen's contract. However, Kevin Pritchard either asks for Anthony Davis and/or two first round picks.

Outstanding...that works...that at least improves the team...still need a shooter though.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

What don't you get about Westbrook is not wanted on this team? Why would they try to keep someone they don't want?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

Indiana laughs at Nunn and THT for Turner. Those players are not desirable.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Delete

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 128 of 2545
Jump to: