NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I think the opposite, these guys are top guys (top athlete, NBA owner, NBA GM, NBA coach), this sounds like a burned bridge. There will be a trade or maybe a firing

I won't be surprised if Nash just quits. He doesn't need this.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Why is Woj and ESPN sitting this story out?

Maybe being directed by his buddy Marks not to say anything.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

KD the epitome of snake in the grass. Dude LEAVES one of the best Warriors teams ever. Abandons an OKC team that was probably close to beating the Warriors themselves. Joins a Nets team that he hand picked and now wants out. šŸ in the grass KD. And not the Black Mamba type either. Shame bc he is probably a top 5 all time scorer.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
I think the opposite, these guys are top guys (top athlete, NBA owner, NBA GM, NBA coach), this sounds like a burned bridge. There will be a trade or maybe a firing

I won't be surprised if Nash just quits. He doesn't need this.

He's def the scapegoat, just like Vogel
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
It's not wise to keep a player that doesn't want to be there. A good organization will honor the wishes of a player regardless of how painful it is.

Then the Lakers should have traded Kobe?

Comparing those situations after the meeting KD just had is pretty laughable.

No, they are very similar. Only evidently KD didnā€™t ask to be traded to Mars.

Lets get the record straight...it was Pluto....Do you you recall Kobe asking for Mitch to be fired as well as Phil Jax. Hmmmm. Yet you say they're very similar. Thank you Ventura.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Nets owner tweets support of Kyrie Irving, tweets support of Sean Marks.

Kevin Durant is the franchise player, the reason they are title contenders.

Not Sean Marks. Not Kyrie Irving.

What a mess.

I expect that this, along with the Lebron/Davis push for Westbrook, will be the high-water mark of superstars directly influencing front office decisions. Superstars will always have a lot of influence in a player-driven league, for sure. But now we have two franchises in the biggest media markets in the country that have been wrecked by superstars meddling in front office matters. Going forward, owners are going to push back on this from the beginning. In fact, this will likely be a topic in the next round of CBA negotiations.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
It's not wise to keep a player that doesn't want to be there. A good organization will honor the wishes of a player regardless of how painful it is.

Not even remotely close.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1557045711618785282
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1557045711618785282

Okay....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not even remotely close.

I'll bite. What's different? Kobe and Dr. Buss met in Barcelona. Durant and Tsai met in London. Kobe reiterated his trade demand. Durant reiterated his trade demand. Kobe told the world that he would rather play on Pluto, and the Lakers offered to trade Kobe to the Pistons, but he turned it down. Durant told Tsai that he needed to choose between Durant and Marks/Nash. How are these situations "not even remotely close"?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not even remotely close.

I'll bite. What's different? Kobe and Dr. Buss met in Barcelona. Durant and Tsai met in London. Kobe reiterated his trade demand. Durant reiterated his trade demand. Kobe told the world that he would rather play on Pluto, and the Lakers offered to trade Kobe to the Pistons, but he turned it down. Durant told Tsai that he needed to choose between Durant and Marks/Nash. How are these situations "not even remotely close"?

Kobe never said "I'm cool if you fire Mitch and Phil" That's pretty significant.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KD the epitome of snake in the grass. Dude LEAVES one of the best Warriors teams ever. Abandons an OKC team that was probably close to beating the Warriors themselves. Joins a Nets team that he hand picked and now wants out. šŸ in the grass KD. And not the Black Mamba type either. Shame bc he is probably a top 5 all time scorer.

Now he wants to follow in Lebron's footsteps and become GM as well. At least, Lebron was leading teams to championships instead of leeching. All I can say is, at least he's made a ton of money already but he definitely won't be missed once he's retired.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not even remotely close.

Kobe wanted more talent on the team

Durant and Irving hate the GM and Coach

Kinda different?

Also Kobe had only played for the Lakers. Durant and Irving are mercenaries
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not even remotely close.

Kinda different?

Also completely different owners. Dr. Buss navigated the situation a lot better than the Nets have. It's pretty clear the Nets have been sitting around not doing anything hoping things would change. They obviously didn't.

Dr. Buss initiated contact with Kobe to mend things vs KD initiating contact with the Nets to get them to actually do something.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not even remotely close.

Kinda different?

Also completely different owners. Dr. Buss navigated the situation a lot better than the Nets have. It's pretty clear the Nets have been sitting around not doing anything hoping things would change. They obviously didn't.

Dr. Buss initiated contact with Kobe to mend things vs KD initiating contact with the Nets to get them to actually do something.

Agree, I do think Dr. Buss was the difference maker in Kobe's case or he would have been gone.

KD was supposed to be this really nice guy, but I think his talent has taken him to the dark side....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Kobe never said "I'm cool if you fire Mitch and Phil" That's pretty significant.

No, he said he wanted to be traded, period. It wasn't "I'll stay if you do X, Y, and Z." In fact, Durant should have known that Tsai wasn't going to fire Marks and Nash, so there's really no difference at all.

Having said that, we are reminded from time to time that NBA players live in their own world and that stars tend to be absorbed in their self-importance. When Latrell Sprewell uttered his infamous "Need to feed my family" line, there were other NBA players who nodded along with him. So maybe Durant is so wrapped up in his own world that he thought that Tsai would say, "Anything for you, Kevin!" But I really doubt it.

Last edited by Aeneas Hunter on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:

At the meeting with Dr. Buss, Kobe got emotional and repeated his trade demand. The meeting did not mend anything. Some of you are trying hard to find a meaningful difference, but there isn't one.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
defense wrote:
Teams that are close to winning it all

Boston
Miami
Phoenix
Denver
Philly
Lakers
Clippers
Dallas

Any team on the list that has the resources to make a move for KD or Irving should be active in my opinion. Or they can continue to be almost good enough.

Following up on my earlier point, the question isn't whether they would want Durant in the abstract. The question is whether the assets they would need to send the Nets are worth it relative to where they are right now. They would be breaking up their teams and sending future picks. They should be making inquiries as to what it would take, but I would expect all of them to take a pass. (And yes, putting the Lakers on that list is a stretch.)

For this reason, I don't think the Nets are going to receive any offers for Durant that they consider acceptable. I also don't think they're going to trade Durant in a fire sale just because he gave them an ultimatum.

Things are dramatic at the moment. But there is a full 7 weeks until training camp starts. As time passes with no action on the trade front, my expectation is that Durant will come to accept the situation, show up at training camp, and fulfill his professional obligations.

Ultimately, it all comes down to Tsai. I'd be shocked if he fires either Nash or Marks.

It is certainly possible the Nets trade Durant; the real question is whether they would do a trade where they were perceived as getting poor value and just acceding to Durant's request. That's really the billion-dollar question.

If that crosses a line for Tsai, there really isn't anything Durant can do but hold out. That would shock me too, because I don't think he'd want the public criticism that would accompany that.

My guess is the Nets won't rush anything. I am sure they will answer their phones, but I doubt they are calling around looking for trades because that would put them in such a weak negotiating position.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

At the meeting with Dr. Buss, Kobe got emotional and repeated his trade demand. The meeting did not mend anything. Some of you are trying hard to find a meaningful difference, but there isn't one.

Except for the fact that there is a meaningful difference.

https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/910579322775232512?t=q8fBUccvyc1B78VakhQvTQ&s=19

Here's an even better link:

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-rob-pelinka-reveals-telegram-from-dr-jerry-buss-that-convinced-kobe-bryant-to-stay-in-l-a/2017/09/20/

Last edited by Reilec142002 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

If they keep him, Durant should try to average 40. Go full ball hog.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ā€œIt is clear, mentally Kevin Durant heā€™s checked out, heā€™s not there in Brooklyn.ā€ per @ShamsCharania

Thanks Captain Shams Obvious
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The New Orleans Pelicans remain interested in a deal for Kevin Durant, per @Krisplashed

ā€œā€¦can put together a compelling package around All-Star forward Brandon Ingram, role players like Herbert Jones, Devonte Graham and Jose Alvarado andā€¦draft compensationā€ https://t.co/DXKk7J185h

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

Zion and KD duo would be nasty
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

Reilec142002 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Reilec142002 wrote:

Except for the fact that there is a meaningful difference.

https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/910579322775232512?t=q8fBUccvyc1B78VakhQvTQ&s=19

Here's an even better link:

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-rob-pelinka-reveals-telegram-from-dr-jerry-buss-that-convinced-kobe-bryant-to-stay-in-l-a/2017/09/20/

Well, we really don't know what Tsai and the Nets have done to try to rectify the situation, although there were some reports of Durant being non-responsive when they tried to reach out to him.

Most of the leaks seem to be coming from Durant's camp, so they are trying to spin things to put him in the best light. We haven't seen any reporting on how Tsai responded in the meeting.

Although the leak of the outright demand to fire Marks and Nash was unusual, I don't see what's happening with Durant as fundamentally different than trade demands that Kobe and other stars have made. But I understand different people will have their own takes on that.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

New Orleans isn't emptying their cupboard for two players on opposite ends of their career, both injury prone. That would be dumb as hell.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 2556, 2557, 2558  Next
Page 147 of 2558
Jump to: