NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2588, 2589, 2590 ... 2652, 2653, 2654  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
The Sixers will get LeBron, Dlo going to the Magic, Lakers going to the lottery. Lack of appreciation and recognition of a roster that was on the verge (1 or 2 support piece type role players and a decent coach away) of competing for a ship results in losing it, for nothing in return, without the ability to replace it.

AD leaves after his contract and the Lakers revert to something similar to the 4 years of embarrassing losses like the years when Randle/Dlo/Ingram/Ball were drafted 7th/2nd/2nd/2nd. It’s a nightmare vision I’m having that I’m hoping doesn’t come true.

We are mediocre . The worst place to be. Be grateful for bubble chip. We have to be honest with what we have. It’s not near what we are seeing play out in the 2nd round. I have a feeling mavs and okc may make us look even more inferior.

I think the front office knows this but are hell bent on avoiding a rebuild as long as possible. We are no longer championship contenders, but Jeanie wants to ride Lebron and ADs popularity until they’re gone.

We aren’t winning a title, but at least casual fans will be following us as long as we got household names on the roster.

With a commitment to a ship and better performances from Owner/GM/Coach it looks like THIS core team could compete for a ship. Budenholzer with Rondo assistant, Drummond for vet min, Caruso for Vincent+pics, maybe even Murray for AR/JHS+pics puts THIS team on paper in ship category.

The Knicks didn’t look like a ship team - they added Divencino/OG
The Pacers added Siakim, Miami added Rozier, Philly added Oubre for vet min and Heild, Mavs added two starters in Washinton/Gafford. They aren’t ship favorites but if the Lakers add the right pieces like those teams did to Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD they can win. Towns seemed like he was locked in as a center all his life but their FO realized he could beast if a real center was added and got Gobert. The Lakers can’t get a Gobert at the moment but they can get a Drummond to finally give AD what he wants. The twin tower could be what puts us over the edge.

Talking about all this however makes me realize that we’re probably screwed for the next 10 years because I don’t see the FO capable of making those type moves, maybe they are unable or perhaps unwilling, either way I see the team lottery bound for the foreseeable future

We basically have to build around AD, might be too late but that has to be the structure of the team. AD needs to find his jumpshot again to make it work AND that means Lebron goes back to the 3.

If Lebron has to chase around 3s, his playing time needs to be capped at 27-30 minutes a game…or else he’ll be in street clothes 2 months into the season.

It tough because both Lebron and AD prefer the 4 spot. (Lebron too old to chase smaller guys, AD needs help against bruising centers)
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
The Sixers will get LeBron, Dlo going to the Magic, Lakers going to the lottery. Lack of appreciation and recognition of a roster that was on the verge (1 or 2 support piece type role players and a decent coach away) of competing for a ship results in losing it, for nothing in return, without the ability to replace it.

AD leaves after his contract and the Lakers revert to something similar to the 4 years of embarrassing losses like the years when Randle/Dlo/Ingram/Ball were drafted 7th/2nd/2nd/2nd. It’s a nightmare vision I’m having that I’m hoping doesn’t come true.

We are mediocre . The worst place to be. Be grateful for bubble chip. We have to be honest with what we have. It’s not near what we are seeing play out in the 2nd round. I have a feeling mavs and okc may make us look even more inferior.

I think the front office knows this but are hell bent on avoiding a rebuild as long as possible. We are no longer championship contenders, but Jeanie wants to ride Lebron and ADs popularity until they’re gone.

We aren’t winning a title, but at least casual fans will be following us as long as we got household names on the roster.

With a commitment to a ship and better performances from Owner/GM/Coach it looks like THIS core team could compete for a ship. Budenholzer with Rondo assistant, Drummond for vet min, Caruso for Vincent+pics, maybe even Murray for AR/JHS+pics puts THIS team on paper in ship category.

The Knicks didn’t look like a ship team - they added Divencino/OG
The Pacers added Siakim, Miami added Rozier, Philly added Oubre for vet min and Heild, Mavs added two starters in Washinton/Gafford. They aren’t ship favorites but if the Lakers add the right pieces like those teams did to Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD they can win. Towns seemed like he was locked in as a center all his life but their FO realized he could beast if a real center was added and got Gobert. The Lakers can’t get a Gobert at the moment but they can get a Drummond to finally give AD what he wants. The twin tower could be what puts us over the edge.

Talking about all this however makes me realize that we’re probably screwed for the next 10 years because I don’t see the FO capable of making those type moves, maybe they are unable or perhaps unwilling, either way I see the team lottery bound for the foreseeable future

We basically have to build around AD, might be too late but that has to be the structure of the team. AD needs to find his jumpshot again to make it work AND that means Lebron goes back to the 3.

If Lebron has to chase around 3s, his playing time needs to be capped at 27-30 minutes a game…or else he’ll be in street clothes 2 months into the season.

It tough because both Lebron and AD prefer the 4 spot. (Lebron too old to chase smaller guys, AD needs help against bruising centers)

We can’t build around AD expecting him to be a #1. He has too much trouble at times creating his own shot outside of a play call when the defense schemes against him. AD has to be a #2 option due to his play style if the Lakers want to win a ship. We’ve seen multiple games where he is a beast but more than a few where he was invisible offensively the entire second half. Plus he has shown to be a non-factor offensively down the stretch in a close game. Since the Lakers can’t replace Lebron if he walks the only way to stay out of the lottery imo is to go all in to commit to a ship with AD/LBJ. If I can see that the FO isn’t doing that (unable? unwilling?) then I believe LBJ can see it too. It could be enough for him to walk away. He usually does in this situation and I expect him to do it this time too.

Pelinka may not have known it…maybe he did and it was the plan, winning isn’t always the plan of the owner unlike fans…but he booked a long vacation for the Lakers in the lottery by standing pat at the deadline.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue May 07, 2024 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota's 8 man rotation is basically:

3 Bigs: Gobert (defensive), KAT (offensive) and 6MOTY stretch big (Reid)
2 Big Wings who can defend: McDaniels, Anderson
2 Athletic Guards who can shoot: Ant, NAW
1 Smart guard who can playmake and shoot: Conley

Our equivalent (with some big changes would be):

3 Bigs: AD (offensive, defensive), Wood (stretch big), ???
2 Big Wings who can defend: Vanderbilt, LeBron
2 Athletic Guards who can shoot: DJM, Christie
1 Smart guard who can playmake and shoot: Reaves

Seeing that LeBron will be 40, we'll need another Big Wing as well.

My takeways are that Rui, Gabe, Dlo, Prince do not fit this team.

Rui is one of the dumbest defenders I've ever seen, Gabe is not just that good at any one thing (not that good at shooting, not that good at playmaking, not that good at defending), Dlo is just not that good at defending and Prince is only good for shooting.

Rui + Gabe for DJM?
Dlo sign and trade for a 20M center/pf? Vuc?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:

Rui is one of the dumbest defenders I've ever seen, Gabe is not just that good at any one thing (not that good at shooting, not that good at playmaking, not that good at defending), Dlo is just not that good at defending and Prince is only good for shooting.

Rui + Gabe for DJM?

I get that the team failed in the playoffs, but the ability to win games is an underrated skill. Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD demonstrated that they have the ability to win games, despite a flawed roster and a flawed coach. They won at a rate that would have translated to #1 in the west had they started together all season. Once they begun starting together in Feb/Mar/Apr they beat Foston/NYK/Milx2/Clev/OKC/Min/LAC, 7 of top 8 seeds. They were 0-2 to Den and split with Minny so 8-3 against top 4 seeds for both conference. Those starters had 3 reserve teammates that all scored ZERO points in multiple playoff games yet still led at halftime in all 5 playoff games and led for 75% of the total time.

Find the holes and plug them if there is a prospective potential of possible success, you don’t have to tear down a good house when it’s demonstrated its foundation is sound. Get Budenholzer as head coach, get Rondo as an assistant, sign Drummond for vet min to fill the ??? You have listed at back up C, flip Vincent/JHS and pics for Caruso/wing. Notice Dlo’s - scoring - Top20 status in the NBA in asssits - assist/turnover ratio - and his 3pt%, to realize he’s a better player than AR, also notice that Rui is #16 in the NBA in 3pt%. After noticing that then keep the core and compete for a title with a team instead of just amassing a new collection of players like the last few failed attempts. Maybe a tpMLE could even be added for a better C or a better wing or even better backcourt defense. Either way, take advantage of what has been demonstrated and add to it instead of taking a risk with new bodies like was done with Vincent over Schro.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
who wouldda thought having multiple tall guys on your team is a good idea for basketball

I think our size is pretty equal with Minny... It's just line-up personnel the difference...

DLO/AR just puts your team in such a defensive disadvantage each game. Not having a true big makes our front court thin.

Conley/Edwards is smaller than DLO/AR... But they are more athletic and quicker.

how? is jaxson hayes the equivalent to gobert? lol
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Trae Young has signed with CAA. Read into that what you will.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

means he aint coming to LA. THANK GOD.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:

Rui + Gabe for DJM?

I get that the team failed in the playoffs, but the ability to win games is an underrated skill. Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD demonstrated that they have the ability to win games, despite a flawed roster and a flawed coach. They won at a rate that would have translated to #1 in the west had they started together all season. Once they begun starting together in Feb/Mar/Apr they beat Foston/NYK/Milx2/Clev/OKC/Min/LAC, 7 of top 8 seeds. They were 0-2 to Den and split with Minny so 8-3 against top 4 seeds for both conference. Those starters had 3 reserve teammates that all scored ZERO points in multiple playoff games yet still led at halftime in all 5 playoff games and led for 75% of the total time.

Find the holes and plug them if there is a prospective potential of possible success, you don’t have to tear down a good house when it’s demonstrated its foundation is sound. Get Budenholzer as head coach, get Rondo as an assistant, sign Drummond for vet min to fill the ??? You have listed at back up C, flip Vincent/JHS and pics for Caruso/wing. Notice Dlo’s - scoring - Top20 status in the NBA in asssits - assist/turnover ratio - and his 3pt%, to realize he’s a better player than AR, also notice that Rui is #16 in the NBA in 3pt%. After noticing that then keep the core and compete for a title with a team instead of just amassing a new collection of players like the last few failed attempts. Maybe a tpMLE could even be added for a better C or a better wing or even better backcourt defense. Either way, take advantage of what has been demonstrated and add to it instead of taking a risk with new bodies like was done with Vincent over Schro.

I do not think Dlo + AR as a backcourt works. They have flamed out twice in a row in the playoffs now.

Also, Rui just does not work with LeBron. Vando (or someone like Vando but can shoot) would work better. Rui is a great luxury but this team has some major holes before it can entertain having a luxury.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Serious question.
If we offer Atlanta an offer they like they wouldn’t send him here?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Although we did sign D'lo last offseason and there have been reports that we've made peace with CAA. But who knows. Spida is also a CAA client.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
After watching the wolves-nuggets series, Trae young nor don Mitchell is the answer.

Dlo/are/rui/Gabe can go as well

It seems harsh, but I honestly think the Lakers should remake the entire supporting cast yet again.

These guys are offensive-players who slumped in the postseason and don't defend.

Like, what are they offering when that happens? Nothing.

If you get guys who can produce in the postseason and/or defend, that's an upgrade over what those guys are offering.

I think the Lakers can still get some trade value out of them because of their good regular seasons. The Lakers got picks as well.

Reasonably speaking, the Lakers probably won't be able to replace everybody. But I think people are underestimating how much the Lakers can improve from what they got from the supporting cast.

They produced in the regular season. But, they're sieves on the defense and they were bad at their ONE skill in the playoffs.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Rui + Gabe for DJM?

I do not think Dlo + AR as a backcourt works. They have flamed out twice in a row in the playoffs now.

Also, Rui just does not work with LeBron. Vando (or someone like Vando but can shoot) would work better. Rui is a great luxury but this team has some major holes before it can entertain having a luxury.

They have flamed out in the playoffs, can’t ignore that, they have also won a lot of games against good teams at a good rate, shouldn’t ignore that either. Despite what ever details we analyze the big picture is that this team has won at an impressive rate against top opponents. You still could be right tho, I know. The lack of defense with Dlo/AR and lack of assertiveness with Rui is concerning.

But the Lakers have blown up every team every year for a long time except last year and last year’s starters actually looked like to me they won enough with obvious flaws that can be fixed. If they won like that with the flaws, perhaps they would win in the playoffs if the flaws were fixed, (coaching?, big C?, 3&D guard?). Maybe wishful thinking on my part. We’re all speculating, I’m just really ready for an actual team of players instead of just a bunch of mercenaries on a team. So tired of that. I think seeing Den close 4 games against us so efficiently down the stretch made me realize that lack of playing time together has been one of the problems. The only way to fix that is get a team and stick with the core with just building around the edges.

I don’t think it matters anyway actually. It seems obvious to me that the FO is either incapable or unwilling to go all in to commit to a ship, it looked like it the off season before, looked like it after last year’s trade deadline when they wouldn’t add a C when MoBamba went down knowing AD would be held out of back-to-back so the team would be left without a C at all. It looked like they weren’t committed this off season passing on a couple mil to bring back Schro and standing pat this year’s trade deadline was seemingly a confirmation. If I can see that Lebron can too, which means he may walk for nothing. Since our cap space won’t let us replace him we are screwed for a ship run that is already over. Rob booked us on a cruise to the lottery for an extended stay when he passed on upgrades at the trade deadline this year.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject:

We dont have Anthony Edwards.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think the Lakers are anywhere close to the TWolves or Nuggets. The Nuggets 3-5 are way better than the Lakers 3-5. And the TWolves have far better perimeter defense, interior defense, and an elite star in ANT coming into his prime.

Lakers can either accept this and be happy being a mediocre non threat in the playoffs. Or they can blow it up and try to win 20 games and win the lottery. Given it’s the Lakers, they are going to play it like the aging Brooklyn Nets team with KG/Pierce/Deron Williams I’m afraid

Some Laker fans would prefer winning 45-50 games instead of 20 games tho
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Some people seem to think the Nuggets are 1 and done but Minnesota has a lot of pressure to make a run this year cause there in tax hell unless they trade some of there really good players, the Lakers have a lot of work to do to become a contender
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
The Nuggets 3-5 are way better than the Lakers 3-5.

Their 1-2 are better than our 1-2.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
I don’t think the Lakers are anywhere close to the TWolves or Nuggets. The Nuggets 3-5 are way better than the Lakers 3-5. And the TWolves have far better perimeter defense, interior defense, and an elite star in ANT coming into his prime.

Lakers can either accept this and be happy being a mediocre non threat in the playoffs. Or they can blow it up and try to win 20 games and win the lottery. Given it’s the Lakers, they are going to play it like the aging Brooklyn Nets team with KG/Pierce/Deron Williams I’m afraid

Some Laker fans would prefer winning 45-50 games instead of 20 games tho

The older you get pal, when tomorrow is not guaranteed, you want to enjoy each and every day. That means if I get a competitive team each and every night for a 50 win team I’ll take it. Sure beats having a garbage team that’s unwatchable for years just to get that one ring if your lucky enough to be alive for it.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Historically, the better 1-2 will decide a series an overwhelming majority of the time. It’s why we won in 2020, but the days Lebron/AD being those guys are over.

3-7 won’t matter as much if our 1-2 are worse than the best teams 1-2.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Some people seem to think the Nuggets are 1 and done but Minnesota has a lot of pressure to make a run this year cause there in tax hell unless they trade some of there really good players, the Lakers have a lot of work to do to become a contender

The Lakers lead for 150+ minutes of the series. When people say under a better Coach if that happens the Nuggets get swept or lose 4-1, they meant it.. and this shows it.

The reason Mike Malone wanted Darvin Ham to remain the Lakers Coach is because Ham has a habit of abandoning stuff that works and not forcing the players back into system basketball when a team starts going on a run while they are freelancing.

The T'Wolves Coach however doesn't do that, he sticks with the gameplan till Malone figures out how to stop it, and thus far he hasn't.

Last edited by MJST on Tue May 07, 2024 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Jamal Murray isn't better than LeBron or AD. And Jokic wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire except for some gaudy stats in Game 2.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Lebron/DLO/AR/Dinwiddie/Gabe
- Just too many cooks in the kitchen... A lot of those guys are being asked to play off the ball which they are not accustomed to.

In 2020, we had Lebron/Rondo/Caruso
- surrounded by a bunch of 3&D guards.

Preferably 3 ballhandlers should be good with a 4th being for emergency used only. But 5 ballhandlers which are all getting rotation minutes are just too much of a logjam that creates unbalance offense.

Offseason would love to get a defensive guard and another center. Spread out our assets to multiple starting caliber role players vs using all our assets on 1 star.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Jamal Murray isn't better than LeBron or AD. And Jokic wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire except for some gaudy stats in Game 2.

he is when it mattered which is all that matters. AD falls a sleep late. Bron is gassed and turns it over or takes long 3s. we see it happen.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Has Giannis asked for a trade yet?

Doc Rivers.

34 year old Damian Lillard. 33 year old Khris Middleton. 36 year old Brook Lopez.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Lebron/DLO/AR/Dinwiddie/Gabe
- Just too many cooks in the kitchen... A lot of those guys are being asked to play off the ball which they are not accustomed to.

That's because we have a stupid Coach.

D'Lo Main ball Handler
Reaves and LeBron Secondary Ball Handlers

Gabe: Bench spot up three point shooter
Dinwiddie: Super 6th man asked to score for the bench

There. Easy. Ham's the one stupidly playing three guard lineups for no darn reasons and diminishing roles and not playing them to their strengths.

Having a scorer like Dinwiddie and asking them to stand in a corner and that the team "doesn't need" them to be an offensive player is the idiocy of the Coach, not the cooks.

And continuing to play Gabe Vincent who obviously wasn't ready nor understood our system because he was out of it for a year and NOT playing Max Christie in his place was another idiocy of the Coach.

JUST-MING wrote:
Has Giannis asked for a trade yet?

Doc Rivers.

34 year old Damian Lillard. 33 year old Khris Middleton. 36 year old Brook Lopez.

He shouldn't have signed the extension and instead gone "I'll wait till the end of the season" cause now he's stuck.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Historically, the better 1-2 will decide a series an overwhelming majority of the time. It’s why we won in 2020, but the days Lebron/AD being those guys are over.

3-7 won’t matter as much if our 1-2 are worse than the best teams 1-2.

What you’re saying makes sense if pecking order dictates the 1 and 2. Say whatever the hell you would about Porter and even as hot as he was, he didn’t dare jack a shot or call his own number when it was closing time in any game. He fell in place, stood his ass in a corner, and passed up any shot that was open to go to Murray and Joker.

Our 3-5 believe in equality which is stupid. AD scorching hot, our Reaves, Dlo, and Rui combo in a game then spend 6 mins getting up their shots without even throwing it to him. Bron played well in these fourth quarters but in Game 1, Reaves took more fourth quarter shots than Bron. AD took 7 shots in the fourth of game 1 and Bron got up 2 total. In game 2 - 5 Reaves took more fourth quarter shots than AD each game.

Dlo and Rui has some stinkers and they forgot to feed their guys and really run the floor and finish. You don’t see either diving for loose balls. You didn’t see either battling for rebounds. You saw AD dive in the crowd to save possessions. You saw LeBron battling for bigs and hitting glass as well as fighting over screens which Dlo and Rui would not for Murray and Porter.

Our 3-5 isn’t about talent as their problem. It’s about their ego and effort. Porter, Gordon, and KCP ran down the court full speed, dived for loose balls, played defense, and then they fell in line in the fourth no matter what game any of them had, they simply went back in line and said we play off their two man game and we hustle for them.

I think that is also the greatest tell of lack of coaching. The 3-5 guys for Phil would be on the floor with floor burns. They would never cry about lack of shots, lack of touches, consistency or anything else because they know to catch and shoot and stay ready. Dlo front runs, when he’s on 0, he’s on 0 so you know he won’t shoot the big one whereas a fisher can go all finals without making a 3 and then come down in Orlando and say I’m knowing that down. Rui can get all his muscles and smile, but he can’t get dirty like a Fox who will turn through every Odin, pay attention to every detail, and give it all to them. Odom would never have the balls to yell at Phil even in a contract year out him in the game like Reaves did Ham and clap at him lol. The 3-5 need a reality check.

They don’t eat like 1-2. When 1-2 were hot they are to ride them and just defend and rebound while not trying to get theirs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2588, 2589, 2590 ... 2652, 2653, 2654  Next
Page 2589 of 2654
Jump to: