Brittney Griner found guilty and sentenced to nine years in prison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject:

The BG Russian ordeal has ground down to a no news item. Now it's time for her to put her life back together. Getting back in the game may be the best way to begin.

Brittney Griner says she’ll play basketball again

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
In a vacuum. Not knowing who is spyin on who. And for what reason.

If someone is a spy, I think it's completely fair for the country that catches them, to keep them. Am I a monster for thinking that?

It doesn't make you a monster, it just makes you wrong. You can't go around presenting yourself as a nation of freedom and due process and just start locking people up and holding them because you say they are a spy. We've been doing that to alleged terrorist operatives by sending them to Guantanemo without any oversight and it's one of the ugliest, unjust things this nation has done.

What's to prevent our adversaries from snatching people up and calling them spies? Not to mention there are acts of espionage that don't necessarily warrant being held, untried, for the rest of ones life.

Yeah, I think he meant if they're actually a spy.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Not to hijack this thread but has the WNBA ever turned a profit?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

If someone is a spy, I think it's completely fair for the country that catches them, to keep them. Am I a monster for thinking that?

It doesn't make you a monster, it just makes you wrong. You can't go around presenting yourself as a nation of freedom and due process and just start locking people up and holding them because you say they are a spy. We've been doing that to alleged terrorist operatives by sending them to Guantanemo without any oversight and it's one of the ugliest, unjust things this nation has done.

What's to prevent our adversaries from snatching people up and calling them spies? Not to mention there are acts of espionage that don't necessarily warrant being held, untried, for the rest of ones life.

So you and kikanga are completely confident that nations that are adversarial to the US will bf totally transparent and honest in regards to whom they designate a “spy”?

I know I’m not.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:

So you and kikanga are completely confident that nations that are adversarial to the US will bf totally transparent and honest in regards to whom they designate a “spy”?

I know I’m not.

Yeah, I think he meant if they're actually a spy (after being tried and given due process).

kikanga wrote:
False imprisonment. No matter what the charge is. That's wrong. I agree it's wrong to lock people up if they aren't a spy.

But if someone is proven to be a spy. I think it is fair to restrict their ability to inform whomever they are working for. Until the information the spy knows is no longer valuable. If it is valuable until the day they die, then that's how it goes. It's part of the job hazard of being a spy.

I don't necessarily think they should be imprisoned though. Restricting their communications and keeping them on your soil is reasonable. But throwing them in a rotten jail cell for life, if they aren't a danger to society, is wrong IMO.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

We can all agree on that.

But if you, DMR, get recruited and trained to infiltrate the Iranian Presidential palace. And you get caught taking files out of the cabinets and reading them.

Then, I'm sorry. It's fair for Iran to keep you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: g

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

But if you, DMR, get recruited and trained to infiltrate the Iranian Presidential palace. And you get caught taking files out of the cabinets and reading them.

Well then, it's a good thing you and others who think the same way aren't working for the state department.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: g

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

It may be fair in the context of playing by the rules. However, that shouldn't negate trying to negotiate a deal to free the spy.

For instance. Lets assume Whelan is a spy and our government knows it. That shouldn't stop them from trying to negotiate a deal to free him. e.g. Russia negotiating to free Bout. It's a slippery slope.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

Well then, it's a good thing you and others who think the same way aren't working for the state department.

Seems you don't think too highly of the state department to begin with:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You can't go around presenting yourself as a nation of freedom and due process and just start locking people up and holding them because you say they are a spy. We've been doing that to alleged terrorist operatives by sending them to Guantanemo without any oversight and it's one of the ugliest, unjust things this nation has done.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

DaMuleRules wrote:
You can't go around presenting yourself as a nation of freedom and due process and just start locking people up and holding them because you say they are a spy. We've been doing that to alleged terrorist operatives by sending them to Guantanamo without any oversight and it's one of the ugliest, unjust things this nation has done.

How I feel about one aspect of how the State Department has conducted themselves over the years is irrelevant to what the role they are supposed to serve is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: g

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

It may be fair in the context of playing by the rules. However, that shouldn't negate trying to negotiate a deal to free the spy.

For instance. Lets assume Whelan is a spy and our government knows it. That shouldn't stop them from trying to negotiate a deal to free him. e.g. Russia negotiating to free Bout. It's a slippery slope.

I see it this way. If some is actually a sanctioned spy serving for the US, when it comes to trying to secure their release, it is no different than that of trying to secure the release of a POW. The government asked them to perform a duty that violated the sovereignty of another nation. The idea that the US (or its citizens) should sit back and think, "Hey, you're a spy. You deserve to be stuck in custody for as long as our adversary wants you to" runs contrary to national and moral interests.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

I see it this way. If some is actually a sanctioned spy serving for the US, when it comes to trying to secure their release, it is no different than that of trying to secure the release of a POW. The government asked them to perform a duty that violated the sovereignty of another nation. The idea that the US (or its citizens) should sit back and think, "Hey, you're a spy. You deserve to be stuck in custody for as long as our adversary wants you to" runs contrary to national and moral interests.

In kiks defense he didn't say they deserved, to be in kept in custody, he said it was fair to keep them in custody. As I said in context of playing by the rules I agree.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

DaMuleRules wrote:
You can't go around presenting yourself as a nation of freedom and due process and just start locking people up and holding them because you say they are a spy. We've been doing that to alleged terrorist operatives by sending them to Guantanamo without any oversight and it's one of the ugliest, unjust things this nation has done.

How I feel about one aspect of how the State Department has conducted themselves over the years is irrelevant to what the role they are supposed to serve is.

But you criticized the state department for being unjust for locking up people without due process

Someone says they'd support a process of locking up spies after due process is given.

Your response is: "it's a good thing you and others who think the same way aren't working for the state department."

What am I missing?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

What's the punishment for espionage?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

10 years of incarceration. Depending upon the offense

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

That's like asking what the punishment for robbery is. It's a very broad term with many levels of severity.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

DaMuleRules wrote:

But you criticized the state department for being unjust for locking up people without due process

Someone says they'd support a process of locking up spies after due process is given.

Your response is: "it's a good thing you and others who think the same way aren't working for the state department."

What am I missing?

As I have said, the government should work to secure the release of anyone who engaged in actions on their behalf; though obviously in the case of things like assassination, that's a tough ask. Regardless of one may personally feel, "Let them rot" isn't the attitude you want from the state department, for whom that person was acting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

DaMuleRules wrote:

What am I missing?

As I have said, the government should work to secure the release of anyone who engaged in actions on their behalf; though obviously in the case of things like assassination, that's a tough ask. Regardless of one may personally feel, "Let them rot" isn't the attitude you want from the state department, for whom that person was acting.

Like I pointed out, you complained about a lack of due process from the state department before locking up spies and terrorists.

Kikanga has stated he’s for due process before punishing spies

You said you’re glad he’s not working for the state department

I must be missing something here
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

That's like asking what the punishment for robbery is. It's a very broad term with many levels of severity.

Seems you’re able to answer when it comes to spies.
Espionage is just another form of spying.

Are you against espionage penalties and punishment in the US?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I know I’m not.

Seems you’re able to answer when it comes to spies.
Espionage is just another form of spying.

Are you against espionage penalties and punishment in the US?

I'm sure you find your obtuse games entertaining, and probably even think you're being quite clever, but I'm not going to encourage such silliness any further.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: g

DaMuleRules wrote:
I'm sure you find your obtuse games entertaining, and probably even think you're being quite clever, but I'm not going to encourage such silliness any further.

Yeah, the question wasn't meant solely for you. It's meant for anyone who takes the position similar to yours.

I'm assuming you're not the only one with this position? So anyone with a position similar to yours can answer the question.

And for future reference, you can choose not to answer a question anytime you want. No need to announce what you will or will not be doing....

I think the board will be able to figure out that you won't answer by..... not answering?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Deleted. I've been posting NFL in the BG thread

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Buffalo scored again to snowball shower. Game delayed because of fans throwing snowballs onto the field. Bills lead 14 6.

Probably been a long time since Griner got to watch an NFL game.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Buffalo scored again to snowball shower. Game delayed because of fans throwing snowballs onto the field. Bills lead 14 6.

Probably been a long time since Griner got to watch an NFL game.

Been doing that all day. Have to make sure of where I'm posting.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: g

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, the question wasn't meant solely for you. It's meant for anyone who takes the position similar to yours.

I'm assuming you're not the only one with this position? So anyone with a position similar to yours can answer the question.

And for future reference, you can choose not to answer a question anytime you want. No need to announce what you will or will not be doing....

I think the board will be able to figure out that you won't answer by..... not answering?

Oh . . . OK. Thanks for your insight there Sparky. I'm sure you know how embarrassed I am right now for not figuring that all on my own. You're a real gem.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: