Hulu Lakers/Buss fam documentary (August)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Hulu Lakers/Buss fam documentary (August)

I just saw the first ad for the 10 pt non-fiction documentary. I provided some content to them. Altho it's about the franchise's entire LA history, it's going to be heavier towards recent decades as you might expect.

But it apparently starts on the 15th. I was told that they were gonna play the first two epis/hours on Day 1 and then the rest once a week.

I was also told that ESPN and Hulu might both air it, but I didn't see anything in the little blurb ad that I saw on YT about ESPN. And I was originally told they wanted to debut on 8/24, so that means stuff has changed in the meanwhile. So if anyone wants to do a little digging on the time and particulars, feel free.

(NOTE, 8/19: this was my earlier impression before seeing that it was couched in the eyes of the Bussfam)

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject:

When I get some more time I will double check some local listings

Awesome to read you were able to contribute. Thank you!

Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers | Official Trailer | Hulu

https://press.hulu.com/shows/legacy-the-true-story-of-the-la-lakers/
Quote:
Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers” captures the remarkable rise and unprecedented success of one of the most dominant and iconic franchises in professional sports. Featuring exclusive access to the Buss Family and probing, revealing interviews with players, coaches, and front office execs, this 10-part documentary series chronicles this extraordinary story from the inside – told only by the people who lived it. When charismatic real estate tycoon Dr. Jerry Buss purchased the Los Angeles Lakers in a wildly risky and complex business deal, nobody could’ve predicted just how much success was to come. Kicking off the “Showtime” era in 1979, the notorious L.A.-playboy pioneered the business of basketball. He raised the price of floor seats, introduced dancers and a live band, opened an exclusive private club inside the arena, and cultivated famous fans in Hollywood. Over the last 40 years, the team captured 11 titles and retired the jerseys of some of the NBA’s most legendary players. Today, Dr. Buss’s empire is now worth more than $5 billion. But all of that success did not come easy. Along with notorious feuds, career-ending illnesses, and a bevy of insurmountable on-court obstacles, the Lakers have also weathered intense drama off the court – within Dr. Buss’s own family. Running the franchise as a “mom and pop” operation, Dr. Buss gave his children front office jobs with the understanding they would, someday, inherit his kingdom. But sibling rivalry, interpersonal conflict, and corporate unrest threatened to destroy everything Dr. Buss worked so hard to build. Ultimately, “Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers” is about family, business, and power –and how all three must be harnessed to achieve greatness
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/michaelcorvonba/status/1559028940034805763?s=21&t=llVk7qaEysJUgh1SBdhnbQ
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

Only on Hulu?
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

watching it right now
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Pretty much redundant.

One thing is for certain Jerry Buss and Magic saved the NBA.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I doubt this will teach me anything I don't already know . . . imma pass unless one of you peeps swear by it.

Sorry NPZ -- if it means anything to you, I've given you a few thousand clicks over the years, just not today. Glad you got paid for it in advance
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the first episode. As an introduction, it's not exactly ground breaking for us die hard Lakers fans. We all know how Dr. Buss and Magic changed the NBA forever.

But it's still very good. I've never seen some of the Buss siblings and they all speak here.
Jerry West, Paul Westhead, Pat Riley... They all participate. Dr. J too.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Just watched the first episode. As an introduction, it's not exactly ground breaking for us die hard Lakers fans. We all know how Dr. Buss and Magic changed the NBA forever.

But it's still very good. I've never seen some of the Buss siblings and they all speak here.
Jerry West, Paul Westhead, Pat Riley... They all participate. Dr. J too.

I agree.
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Kareem gave it his stamp, I'll give this one a chance.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I actually am more intrigued by the Buss family history and dynamic than the actually Lakers on court stuff that we know so well.
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Anywhere to watch this for us Canadian folks who don't get Hulu?
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject:

The title is misleading. This is not the Story of the Los Angeles Lakers, but a Los Angeles Lakers story involving the Buss family era. Expansive for sure and compelling, but the Baylor-West-Chamberlin-Goodrich years are essentially tossed in the garbage with a title like that.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
I actually am more intrigued by the Buss family history and dynamic than the actually Lakers on court stuff that we know so well.

Winning Time focuses on that family dynamic
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

i watched the first two episodes. i really liked them. it showed jerry's vision for the lakers and his family's involvement. gave some background into why jeanie was so rigid in keeping it in the family (buss family and lakers family) because that's what her dad wanted. you saw old videos of him saying as much. that a family run team is an advantage. and by family, that includes lakers along the way... like magic (who really was like a son to jerry).

you may not like it, it may no longer be a valid point of view... but that's just the way it is and it's not your team to decide.

also interesting is that linda rambis (Linda Zafrani) was a jerry west hire to work with jeanie on the LA Strings.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

also makes you wonder about "the long game" with lebron. he sees an advantage to being considered "family" with the buss's. whether that means team and personnel decisions, buying into the team, getting his kids on the team. basically everything lavar ball thought he'd get out of the lakers, but was not worthy of consideration.

not a bad gamble for "LA Bron". i just wish he was a better "GM". what is it with superstars and crappy personnel decisions? LOL!
kwyitkilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Winning Time focuses on that family dynamic

Not sure that show is a good historical showing of the true dynamics.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
The title is misleading. This is not the Story of the Los Angeles Lakers, but a Los Angeles Lakers story involving the Buss family era. Expansive for sure and compelling, but the Baylor-West-Chamberlin-Goodrich years are essentially tossed in the garbage with a title like that.

I guess you can say that.
Then it made sense to be why the title had "Legacy" in it. It's the Buss legacy.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject:

First 2 episodes had some interesting parts. But if you've seen the HBO series, you don't get that much new regarding the players. You get some insights into the other Buss children in terms of what they were running.

You get some reminders like how fans weren't happy about the Nixon/Scott trade. And the bombshell of Magic asking for a trade.

What I was somewhat disappointed in was how they quickly glossed over the Championships. There wasn't much drama as they talked about it. Especially the second Boston series where they won in 6.

But anyway, I'll still watch it haha.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

what's the consensus here? of all the buss kids, it seems Jesse has some legit front office instincts?

any others have their dad's nose for the business of basketball?

jeanie seems fine for leading the ship right now. she would never get into the nitty gritty of player management.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject:

Watched the first episode and really liked it, excited for second part and then the rest as they come. I had never seen footage of Magic's summer league game in '79 so that was cool. Also Jimmy Goldstein complaining about Buss raising courtside prices was fantastic. And the Buss kids (especially the ones we don't always hear a lot from) are giving some great insight into Jerry and the family dynamics, which is interesting because it's what we're still in part talking about 40-plus years later. Compared to Winning Time, there were 100 percent fewer scenes of Magic having sex, and they somehow don't have footage of the one-on-one game played in tuxes between Norm and Magic (maybe because that was ludicrously made up on the HBO show? Dunno.). Yet it certainly still dives into Buss and Magic's love of the ladies (the Today show footage was pretty wild).

And it's fun seeing NPZ clips out in the wild (the Phoenix walkthrough, right? Among others, I'm sure).
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
also interesting is that linda rambis (Linda Zafrani) was a jerry west hire to work with jeanie on the LA Strings.

Wasn't Linda hired by Dr. Buss after she phoned him and scolded him for dumping her sister and Dr. Buss really liked her moxie and wanted that to rub off on Jeanie?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Yup!

Makes you think Jerry thought Jeanie was too nice to run the LA strings on her own. She needed a bull dog as her running mate... Hence Linda.

oasisdude77 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Wasn't Linda hired by Dr. Buss after she phoned him and scolded him for dumping her sister and Dr. Buss really liked her moxie and wanted that to rub off on Jeanie?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I guess you can say that.
Then it made sense to be why the title had "Legacy" in it. It's the Buss legacy.

With the Succession-like family clips (which I love) in the intro, it's not the Lakers story. It's the Buss' Lakers story. Hopefully, they go full Succession and don't gloss over too much, lol.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Yup!

Makes you think Jerry thought Jeanie was too nice to run the LA strings on her own. She needed a bull dog as her running mate... Hence Linda.

oasisdude77 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Jeanie was a 19-year-old college kid when she started running the Strings, so I could see why Dr. Buss felt Linda could be a friend/advocate/mentor to her. In the male-dominated sports world, Jeanie certainly would not be able to succeed and be respected if she doesn't have grit and confidence.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: