Would you trade both FRPs (unprotected) to Indy or Utah?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you trade both FRPs to Indy or Utah?
Yes to either team
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Yes to Indy only
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Yes to Utah only
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
No to either team
65%
 65%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 79

Author Message
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9861

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Would you trade both FRPs (unprotected) to Indy or Utah?

Just curious what the sentiment of the board is. Remember that we are talking about trading the picks with ZERO protections.

Indy: Turner and Hield
Utah: best package out of Bogs, Clarkson, Beasley, Conley, Gay, Vanderbilt
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2018
Posts: 2885

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

No to either

Most I'd go to either team is a first and a protected first, to Indy. A first and some seconds to Utah (assuming Vanderbilt is off the table)
_________________
#18 next...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 20637

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject:

HELL. NO.
_________________
Rule #1 for Beginner GM: Do not trade FRPs for role players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 9698

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

Kyrie was worth 2.

Turner/Hield and Bojan/Beasley are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 49182

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

I would do the Indiana deal. I’m less enthused with the Utah idea. Unless the Utah idea costs less.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21859

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 49182

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21859

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.


2029 FRP without Bron/AD > 2021 FRP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 49182

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.


2029 FRP without Bron/AD > 2021 FRP


Sure but we had already traded our 2021 FRP. So the pick we were attaching to Nunn/THT was either 27 or 29. It’s the same issue only teams probably valued THT more than Walker and they didn’t really value THT at all.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21859

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.


2029 FRP without Bron/AD > 2021 FRP


Sure but we had already traded our 2021 FRP. So the pick we were attaching to Nunn/THT was either 27 or 29. It’s the same issue only teams probably valued THT more than Walker and they didn’t really value THT at all.


Nunn/Walkers are expirings, THT was not
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 49182

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.


2029 FRP without Bron/AD > 2021 FRP


Sure but we had already traded our 2021 FRP. So the pick we were attaching to Nunn/THT was either 27 or 29. It’s the same issue only teams probably valued THT more than Walker and they didn’t really value THT at all.


Nunn/Walkers are expirings, THT was not


Goalpost shift notwithstanding, I’m not sure that makes a huge difference especially at the cost of playing the first 3/4ths of the season with a mismatched team.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gng930
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 9861

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

If there is a follow-up deal involving any FRPs we have left, I imagine any players we get in the initial deal or a TPE will be bigger factors than the salaries of Nunn and Walker. I agree that THT still having 2+ years on his deal was a probable factor.
_________________
Luxury Tax/FA Spreadsheet (Save to your Google Drive to edit)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21859

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
Need to save 1 FRP for potential Nunn/Walker package in dec if things need tinkering


Considering our vaunted Nunn/THT/1st package we dangled to every team in the league last season turned up bupkis I wouldn’t have too many expectations that Lonnie Walker is going to boost it.


2029 FRP without Bron/AD > 2021 FRP


Sure but we had already traded our 2021 FRP. So the pick we were attaching to Nunn/THT was either 27 or 29. It’s the same issue only teams probably valued THT more than Walker and they didn’t really value THT at all.


Nunn/Walkers are expirings, THT was not


Goalpost shift notwithstanding, I’m not sure that makes a huge difference especially at the cost of playing the first 3/4ths of the season with a mismatched team.


not moving goal post (my point is future FRP without Bron/AD is more valuable than FRP with them), I do think we should reserve a FRP for in season trade, incase some other team implode.

Btw the Lakers wasn't offering a FRP with THT last year but a SRP

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/2/10/22926821/nba-rumors-lakers-knicks-raptors-cam-reddish-alec-burks-talen-horton-tucker-nba-trade-deadline

n Thursday morning, Scotto followed up with a few more details:

With New York trading away three rotation players in the proposal, one potential hangup in the trade discussion centers on the draft pick compensation for the Knicks. Toronto discussed sending a first-round pick, and the Lakers discussed sending a second-round pick to the Knicks, HoopsHype has learned. As conversations continued, the Knicks sought additional draft compensation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 9265

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely not. We need to start managing our assets smartly so we don't put ourselves in unfavorable situations again in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 1665
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) no
_________________
824
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10446

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Absolutely not. We need to start managing our assets smartly so we don't put ourselves in unfavorable situations again in the future.


Agreed, but I don't trust the FO to do the right thing. Pelinka should be the next one on the hot seat and if Jeannie doesn't turn the ship around the public backlash may approach her brother's.

This is a perfect storm for a terrible trade, worse than Russ even. If I had to pick one I'd hope that one unprotected pick would be the compromise from 2 picks down to one. It's almost the new normal though and their options are dropping. We're talking about solid role players not Kyrie. Some of us can't think of starting the season with Russ but it beats taking a horrible trade.

I know some of you don't care about the future, but the back half of the decade could be terrible with no hope of building via the draft. I don't trust the FO to sign a big FA. It's just a tragic idea just for a few solid role players now that won't make us a contender. I'd be unhappy if it's one unprotected for a Heild & Turner deal, but I could live with it. Having to throw a swap in is a deal breaker, let alone a 2nd protected. 2 unprotected picks would create a dark age.
_________________
Lakesh0wtime: "Guarantee ESPN and FS1 wont talk about his play tomorrow."
Epak: "Who cares? As long as we know."


Last edited by fansincemagic on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3763

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Good time to remind folks that if we trade our ‘27 & ‘29 1sts for predominantly expiring contracts this year, then if they end up not re-upping next summer we would not only lose them as assets but have lost the option to include any of our FRPs in any follow-up trade.

Due to the 7 yr Stepien clause, next summer will unlock our ability to include our 2030 1st in any trade. However, if we trade our ‘29 this year, then we are forbidden from trading our ‘30 1st next year due to the Stepien rule. If we trade our ‘27 1st this year, we will be forbidden from trading both our ‘26 & ‘28 1sts as well.

So if a trade demands both our tradable 1sts this year, we better make it count..especially if they’re of the expiring variety. Cause not only can we lose those expiring players in free agency next summer, we wound be incapacitated in involving any of our available future draft picks in any trade till the summer of ‘24.
_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10446

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Good info vasashi17+. I still think Pelinka will eventually get a rule named after him.
_________________
Lakesh0wtime: "Guarantee ESPN and FS1 wont talk about his play tomorrow."
Epak: "Who cares? As long as we know."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 8724

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 am    Post subject:

No, because we are not contenders with an older LeBron and AD (injury-prone) on the team.

No trade (except for KD) makes us better than:

West
Golden State
Dallas
Memphis
New Orleans
Phoenix
Clippers
Denver
Minnesota

East
Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Milwaukee
Chicago
Cleveland
Atlanta
Toronto

We aren't going anywhere as debatably the 18th best team in NBA.
_________________

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21859

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Good time to remind folks that if we trade our ‘27 & ‘29 1sts for predominantly expiring contracts this year, then if they end up not re-upping next summer we would not only lose them as assets but have lost the option to include any of our FRPs in any follow-up trade.

Due to the 7 yr Stepien clause, next summer will unlock our ability to include our 2030 1st in any trade. However, if we trade our ‘29 this year, then we are forbidden from trading our ‘30 1st next year due to the Stepien rule. If we trade our ‘27 1st this year, we will be forbidden from trading both our ‘26 & ‘28 1sts as well.

So if a trade demands both our tradable 1sts this year, we better make it count..especially if they’re of the expiring variety. Cause not only can we lose those expiring players in free agency next summer, we wound be incapacitated in involving any of our available future draft picks in any trade till the summer of ‘24.


So if we stand Pat, on draft day next summer, we have ‘24FRP, ‘26FRP, ‘28FRP, ‘30FRP… 4 FRPs available to trade? If only Bron isn’t 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Dec 2019
Posts: 3763

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Good info vasashi17+. I still think Pelinka will eventually get a rule named after him.




I hope they name it the Pelinko rule: dump your assets and just leave it to chance

https://tenor.com/bx93W.gif

governator wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Good time to remind folks that if we trade our ‘27 & ‘29 1sts for predominantly expiring contracts this year, then if they end up not re-upping next summer we would not only lose them as assets but have lost the option to include any of our FRPs in any follow-up trade.

Due to the 7 yr Stepien clause, next summer will unlock our ability to include our 2030 1st in any trade. However, if we trade our ‘29 this year, then we are forbidden from trading our ‘30 1st next year due to the Stepien rule. If we trade our ‘27 1st this year, we will be forbidden from trading both our ‘26 & ‘28 1sts as well.

So if a trade demands both our tradable 1sts this year, we better make it count..especially if they’re of the expiring variety. Cause not only can we lose those expiring players in free agency next summer, we wound be incapacitated in involving any of our available future draft picks in any trade till the summer of ‘24.


So if we stand Pat, on draft day next summer, we have ‘24FRP, ‘26FRP, ‘28FRP, ‘30FRP… 4 FRPs available to trade? If only Bron isn’t 37


‘24 is with NO, remember? And they can defer it to ‘25, meaning ‘26 is potentially also out unless we get more defined conditions from NO. So I see why you chose to forget haha.

Just like the OP of this thread @Gng, suggested earlier this summer, I too believe it’s pertinent to get on the phone with NO to work out a deal to amend those conditions and with that we can open up the availability of our 2026 1st outright.

Imho, it would be more strategic to grease NO in order to swap out our 2023 1st as unprotected going straight to them with the option to pick swap in 2025. If that were to occur, we would then have the ‘24, ‘26, ‘28, ‘30 FRPs to trade next summer after the 2023 draft is conducted. However none of that can’t happen if we don’t get in the phone with NO and trade our ‘27 and/or ‘29 FRPs this year.

Btw, here’s that 7yr Stepien detail from Marks explaining how it impacts the conditions we place on our current tradable FRPs. @Laker’s Fan has brought this up before and @Just-Ming has referenced it many times already, but here it is again just in case others haven’t seen it or are not completely familiar with the concept already.

Quote:
Then there's the case of the Lakers, whose 2027 and 2029 first-round picks might be among the most talked about in the league. The Lakers can trade both picks and put protections on them, but because of the seven-year rule, the protection can be for only the year of the pick and cannot carry over.

For example, the Lakers can trade a top-four-protected 2029 pick to Indiana with the condition that a 2029 second is sent if the first is not conveyed -- which would increase the risk for the Pacers, because there'd be no assurance that they'd actually get a first-round pick out of the deal.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/34534321/ranking-teams-control-future-nba-draft

_________________
Not familiar with the salary cap/CBA rules & how it impacts our Lakers?
#GetFamiliar by CLICKING HERE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject:

Absolutely no
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 536

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

Absolutely no
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 33823
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
No, because we are not contenders with an older LeBron and AD (injury-prone) on the team.

No trade (except for KD) makes us better than:

West
Golden State
Dallas
Memphis
New Orleans
Phoenix
Clippers
Denver
Minnesota

East
Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
Philadelphia
Milwaukee
Chicago
Cleveland
Atlanta
Toronto

We aren't going anywhere as debatably the 18th best team in NBA.


It's so weird how a team wins a championship and then falls to arguably the 18th best team in the league just two years later, with the same star duo that won the championship.

I think it would take Kyrie plus bubble level AD and LeBron for us to be a serious contender.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cital
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 May 2002
Posts: 3561

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I would give up both firsts in the Indiana deal if it could be expanded to include Reddish. I would include Nunn if I knew we could sign Schroder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB