CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 10-20-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 10-20-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

I couldn't catch the game tonight -- just the last few minutes where the Laker flaws offensively really stood out. AD missing two long-range jumpers; Russ passing up the wide open three as they were not covering him AT ALL, driving, then having to force up a jumper against the clock and missing; Pat Bev trying to create and missing a floater; Russ missing another three left for him; LeBron charging against a double coverage; a Lonnie Walker driving for some points; LeBron taking a deep three at the end.

Props to the Lakers for digging out of two big holes in this game and having a lead in the fourth. Russ's D down the stretch was scrappy. But the Clippers were easily able to eliminate LeBron as a threat because of the lack of shooting. So we were rudderless to close the game.

Hopefully, I can catch the rest of the game. Post your thoughts, recaps, etc. here.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Going to be a long season.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I did not see the first half, watched most of the second.

I'll give them this, they played with heart. Against the Clips when KL rested, the lineup of LBJ, JTA, Reeves, Bev and Walker was looking quick, athletic, and like a huge PITA for the clips. Not sure if that will happen in the future with similar opposing lineups, but tonight, for a brief stretch, they looked good.

Things started to shift a bit when LBJ rested, for the Clips.

Overall, the team's inability to hit a 3 just killed them tonight. Brutally.

And then, even if you count shooting non-3's, I think Bev and Russ combined for 1-18 or somesuch, at least one point?

What I did find interesting out of this is despite Russ' stat-line looking nothing like the last game (he actually had more steals, 5, than points, 2), it sorta told me what I think many of us know...Russ needs to be able to play his game elsewhere, and Lakers would be far better off in Russ' slot with someone who can hit 3's, and if they can d as well, even better.

Overall. A for effort. But, they're 0-2. (in tonight's game shot 35% overall, and 9-45 from 3, 20%)

Last edited by DrDent on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject:

The roster lacks talent. The Clippers played with their food and got bored and that was the only reason the Lakers came back.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Some progress, JTA and walker have been great. They could hide our wings issue a little bit, but we need NUNN and Pat Bev to shoot better from the 3. Actually walker too.
Ryan1973
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Some progress, JTA and walker have been great. They could hide our wings issue a little bit, but we need NUNN and Pat Bev to shoot better from the 3. Actually walker too.

I think Nunn should start over Pat Bev.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Last year, we would have lost by at least 20 and the game would have never been close. So a big positive that we probably should have win today if WB, Bev, and Nunn weren’t completely useless on offense. But after how horrendously last season went, excuses are over. We need wins and soon.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Our shot selection was bad at times. Why did they settle for so many 3s, especially contested 3s?

Our halfcourt offense also looks pretty bad. We didn't get the ball inside much, although some of the reason for that was the Clippers' defense.

Overall, a decent effort, as we only lost by six despite playing like crap in multiple aspects of the game. But it looks like we have much more fight and passion than we did last season.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject:

It was a fun game.

Westbrook and Nunn shot us out of it. Sigh.
Good games from Lonnie and Patty.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject:

I thought we actually played really well. Even with our terrible shooting (Westbrook and Beverly mostly), we still had a great chance to win. What doomed us was that AD could hardly move at the end of the game. He was staying on the perimeter and was very slow getting up the court. I believe if he had been able to be himself we would of won.

I agree with coach, we are moving in the right direction as a team. Even with our undersized lineup we played some great defense much of the game. Even Westbrook was trying to set screens and play aggressively on D.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
I thought we actually played really well. Even with our terrible shooting (Westbrook and Beverly mostly), we still had a great chance to win. What doomed us was that AD could hardly move at the end of the game. He was staying on the perimeter and was very slow getting up the court. I believe if he had been able to be himself we would of won.

I agree with coach, we are moving in the right direction as a team. Even with our undersized lineup we played some great defense much of the game. Even Westbrook was trying to set screens and play aggressively on D.

^^^ This write up closely matches what I saw as well. The only thing I'll add is that "Lebron for three!" is my least liked sentence in the English language.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject:

Russ/Bev/Nunn combined for 1-25.

We simply don't have the talent to get away with that.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject:

It was actually an entertaining game.

Despite our flaws, the team played with intensity and hustle. That alone will give you a chance of winning at any given night.

Last year we had the geriatric farts not giving a (bleep). Now we have some young legs that can run up and down the court, get a lot of deflections and steals.

But our shooting problems are too much. We're extremely predictable on half court offense, because it's extremely easy to defend us. Just pack the middle and dare us to shoot.

Our best strategy right now is to defend well and get out on transition.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject:

Lakers are too small. Seems like the Clipps and Raps have all the Wings and that was on full display last night. Many of the Lakers 36 missed 3ptrs were caused by the Clippers length on the wing.

I saw our guards in good defensive position only to see Kawhi or PG13 shoot right over them. And when the Lakers got stops, Zubac had 6 of their 10 off rebs which kept their possessions alive anyway.

Lakers got outrebounded 58 to 38.

Hope AD is okay, but he needs to play the 4. Would be nice if Myles Turner was our starting 5.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

We aren't a good three-point shooting team, but we aren't THAT bad. The Clippers were fumbling at times, and we really should have won this game. We got killed by Zubac and Wall, which seemed like some sort of cosmic punishment.

Lebron, Davis, and Walker were the best players on the night. They were the only three whose shots were dropping. Even after the nasty fall, Davis was determined to keep playing. That's both admirable and foolish. It will be interesting to see if he plays on Sunday. I'm warming up to Walker. He's still a defensive liability, but he's making the effort.

Westbrook couldn't get any of his shots to drop, and you could see that it's getting into his head. There was the sequence late in the game where he just refused to shoot until the shot clock was running out. Other teams are going to dare him to shoot. However, he was really good in all of the other aspects of the game. Despite all of the naysayers, he is actually doing what Ham wants him to do. He made some key defensive plays that gave us a chance to win.

Beverley was the guy who kept us in the game. He set the tone for the defense. His shots weren't dropping, but we get blown out if not for Beverley. He is fearless and a constant pest, and he is vocal with his teammates. He had that one blocked shot early in the game (against George, I think) that was just outrageous.

No one on the bench really stood out. JTA played hard, but his toolbox is limited. The Clippers dared him to shoot. Reaves was okay, but he's really just a warm body at the NBA level. You could see the limitations from his lack of athleticism, but he tried hard. Nunn just couldn't get anything going. Ryan got a shot or two to drop, but he doesn't have much else to offer. Jones got into the game and contributed a little.

So, here are your choices:

Glass is half full -- If we get a few shots to drop, we win this game. Our defense is good enough to win some games, and our shooting can't stay this cold for the whole season. If we can just get to the level of poor shooting, as opposed to bad shooting, we can beat anyone.

Glass is half empty -- We just don't have any shooting. It's not surprising that a bunch of bad shooters missed a bunch of shots. We'll win some fluke games during the season when the blind squirrels find some acorns, but our defense isn't good enough to carry a roster of bricklayers.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
What I did find interesting out of this is despite Russ' stat-line looking nothing like the last game (he actually had more steals, 5, than points, 2), it sorta told me what I think many of us know...Russ needs to be able to play his game elsewhere, and Lakers would be far better off in Russ' slot with someone who can hit 3's, and if they can d as well, even better.
Russ faces and/or will show how important winning a Ring is to him - personally. Sad that Russ does not realize what he needs to do for the Lakers to win consistently, acknowledging that he is looking to fill his stat sheet - like many young and upcoming players trying to find themselves

Last season, Russ had "No Expectations." What are his "Expectations" for this season.

Lakers need players who are committed and willing to do anything to win a Ring - no matter the odds. Ham's responsibility is to only put players who are committed to Win a Ring, Rob's responsibility is to only have players on this roster who are committed to win.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/johnhollinger/status/1583452944447389698?s=46&t=5TUGkjoo6GWBzMvxB2KbCQ

Hollinger hot take!

Every Lakers fan favorite guy!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

Most people will point to our putrid 3 point shooting. Yup.

But we got outrebounded 58 to 38. You will not win games being -20 on rebounds.

I would rather start with a bigger lineup and still have poor 3 point shooting (since it seems to be a recurring issue) and not be clobbered on the boards.

It's time to put Russ on the bench.

Bev/Walker/LBJ/AD/Jones

Need size and Walker has shown he can be a 3rd scoring punch player. See if Russ can help push the pace with the 2nd unit. Why are we wasting him playing in LBJ lineups?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I would rather start with a bigger lineup and still have poor 3 point shooting (since it seems to be a recurring issue) and not be clobbered on the boards.

Bev/Walker/LBJ/AD/Jones

Need size and Walker has shown he can be a 3rd scoring punch player. See if Russ can help push the pace with the 2nd unit. Why are we wasting him playing in LBJ lineups?

you don't think these 2 things are related? lol. we bricked so many shots and we play small.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Bev/Walker/LBJ/AD/Jones

These things are connected. When you miss that many shots, you are giving the other team a lot of defensive rebounds. We're playing a 4-Out offense, so adding another big man does not necessarily enhance our offensive rebounding.

The stats in this game illustrate the point. The Clippers led us in offensive rebounding, but only by a 10-8 margin. That's pretty much of a wash. Only two of our offensive rebounds were by Davis. The others were by the guards (4) and Lebron (2). We could go with a bigger lineup, but the other big man will be behind the three-point line. The Clippers led us in defensive rebounding by 48-30. That looks bad, but we missed 61 shots (33 for 94) while they missed 43 (37 for 80).

Our rebounding isn't elite, but the counting numbers make it look worse than it is. Our DRB% is currently 14th in the league. Obviously, the sample size is small at this point, so we'll see how this goes.

Here are some bonus way-too-early stats: ORtg 30th (ouch, but no surprise), DRtg 8th, Pace 2nd, eFG% 30th.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

^
NBA has us 10th in Drating and 29th in offense, btw.
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?dir=A&sort=OFF_RATING

It's way too early, but I agree with the stats so far. We look better on defense, worse on offense only because we played 2 elite teams and our shooting got exposed.

I suspect we'll be in the 10-15 range in both areas by mid-season. This is a better team, and Ham has gotten players to play hard. I can't give up on them after losing to 2 elite teams.

Now if we begin to lose games against the Blazers and Wolves, I begin to worry.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

This game can be summed up in 4 letters.

SSDD

Same shooters different day.

Westbrook, Beverly and Nunn are shooting 14 for 51 from the floor and 6 for 30 from 3 point land in two games this season.

Until that changes is will be SSDD.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
NBA has us 10th in Drating and 29th in offense, btw.
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced?dir=A&sort=OFF_RATING

For some reason, BBR and NBA.com have slightly different numbers, even though they are both up to date. There must be some difference in their methodology. That's too nerdy a detail even for me.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Of little solace, they didn't quit. They fought till the end. Westbrook and Beverly hustled but to no avail. Dennis will cause a few wins and excitement when he returns. I'm a victim of Pollyannaism.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

So I generally enjoyed the game. I was there which makes a big difference you know because it's a lot more fun to be there in person. And I thought we were more competitive than I was actually expecting.

As is my tendency and my want, I was paying a lot of attention to the interactions and I can do so because my seats are behind the Lakers bench. I was really paying attention to a lot of the energy from the team and particularly Russ. And a lot of things that people on this board tend to say appear to be wrong. There was actually really good energy amongst the team. Particularly Russ was very enthusiastic about other teammates successes and you know when someone made a good play. He also talks to the coaches quite a bit. He was in no way shape or form standoffish or weird so I think people can drop that one.

LeBron and A.D. both seemed to be in good energy and actually the numerous times that I've seen them play I have actually never noticed any kind of moodiness from AD. But I do sometimes notice it from LeBron. I did not see it last night he was really talking to a lot of the newer players a lot. And that was another thing that was good to see was the newer players seem comfortable. They are likely nervous because they're new to the NBA, but they didn't seem uncomfortable within the team. Matt Ryan in particular went and talked to LeBron a lot both on the floor and off. Austin didn't as much as I've seen him do in the past but he did seem really frustrated that he was getting rooked on the calls by the referees lol

The coaching staff is active - you know I mean Phil Handy we already know it was like that. But it was nice to see that Darvin Ham is an active coach and he really takes moments to instruct players and not just sit there or not just bark plays.

So that was the kind of encouragement that I took away was I saw a lot of things that I didn't see when I went to games last season. So that gives me encouragement that with time and tide and hopefully either acquire some shooters or Matt Ryan hits his head and suddenly becomes JJ Redick 2.0 or both, you know whatever but with time I can definitely see things getting better whereas I there was no point last season where I felt that way.

(Edited for clarity. Voice dictation did me a little wrong wrong...)

Last edited by TDRock on Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: