Man dies after jumping off Huntington Beach Pier, woman rescued by surfer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Man dies after jumping off Huntington Beach Pier, woman rescued by surfer

This happened last Sunday at the Huntington Beach Pier. A woman jumped into the ocean off the pier for fun. Onlookers were cheering her on. The currents were really strong. Right away, she was struggling and calling for help. Her brother jumped in to save her. He struggled as well. A surfer came over to help them. The surfer couldn't save both on his board, so he had to make a decision. He rescued the woman first, then came back for the brother.

The brother ended up dying.

Video:
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Man dies after jumping off Huntington Beach Pier, woman rescued by surfer

LongBeachPoly wrote:
This happened last Sunday at the Huntington Beach Pier. A woman jumped into the ocean off the pier for fun. Onlookers were cheering her on. The currents were really strong. Right away, she was struggling and calling for help. Her brother jumped in to save her. He struggled as well. A surfer came over to help them. The surfer couldn't save both on his board, so he had to make a decision. He rescued the woman first, then came back for the brother.

Video:

Feel bad for that surfer. He is probably going to be scarred for life because someone decided to do a stupid stunt.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Man dies after jumping off Huntington Beach Pier, woman rescued by surfer

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Video:

Feel bad for that surfer. He is probably going to be scarred for life because someone decided to do a stupid stunt.

Also think of the parents.

How do you forgive your daughter for causing your son's death?

How's that phone call go?

"Mom and dad, I almost died but I'm ok now. However, your son, my brother's dead"

"What happened?"

"He jumped into the HB pier"

"Why?"

"Cuz I jumped in for fun and I was drowning, so he jumped in after me. A surfer came by and couldn't save us both. He had to decide who to save. He ended up saving me and letting your son my brother die. But, I'm still alive mom and dad....."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

This is what I found on reddit about this:

Quote:
I’m a HB lifeguard. The jump won’t kill you unless you did something really really weird. Most likely he’s not in great shape and you’d be surprised how much jeans would add. (We do a training swim where we have to swim around the pier in jeans and a sweatshirt) and it’s pretty much like pulling a brick behind you. And the shoes probably even more. This guy probably had immediate issues staying afloat.

Quote:
Ok update from my friend on duty that night. I wasn’t totally on point. Still think the struggle his body had to put in to keep afloat added to heart issues, but here you go —

“Yeah. Two people were meth-ing around on the pier and they started yelling down to the surfers on Northside if they were allowed to jump and the local surf kids were like “yeah do it”. So they did. Then the kids were like “I’m not saving them” and ignored them until one surfer grabbed the girl and my buddy grabbed the guy. And it was big and gnarly so it was struggle to get the guy in through the surf.

And according to my friend no one drowned. He just had a massive heart attack in the shorebreak. Because my friend got him ashore and started CPR before lifeguard got there. And the AED said no shock advised so he had no rhythm at all.”

Quote:
I had to throw a life ring down to a kid who did this once. He jumped off the pier by Ruby’s and when he surfaced started freaking out.

I think what people don’t realize is that it’s a FAR jump and you go way under water. It’s also really cold, which is jarring. And when they look at shore, it’s a lot farther away than they thought.

He just clung to that ring until lifeguards showed up in a boat.

Quote:
Quote:
I would guess this man was not physically fit and perhaps had a bad pre existing medical condition of some kind. It’s terrible this happened,… probably a super cool guy in person. I feel for his family… and especially the 36 yo girl.

you're right on the pre existing medical condition. Looks like he had a heart attack.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

So the brother was also involved in the stupidity? That's what it seems like from the reddit post.

If not then yeah feel bad for the parents. Actually feel bad for the parents regardless.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
So the brother was also involved in the stupidity? That's what it seems like from the reddit post.

If not then yeah feel bad for the parents. Actually feel bad for the parents regardless.

Yup they were both stupid on the pier by doing meth. But seems like the idea to jump down was the sisters’.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

just curious, do you take off your jeans/sweater in this situation?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

If you can yes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
governator wrote:

If you can yes.

I can't even imagine trying to tread water in the ocean weighed down like that.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

I cant believe people were actually cheering them on to jump. Crazy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

People suck. If someone stands on a ledge threading to jump to their death, inevitably a crowd will develop below and some of them will egg on the suicidal person.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

People suck. If someone stands on a ledge threading to jump to their death, inevitably a crowd will develop below and some of them will egg on the suicidal person.

Do You Really Wanna Jump? Do ya?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: