Fred Hickman, who helped launch CNN Sports and YES Network dead at 66

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Fred Hickman, who helped launch CNN Sports and YES Network dead at 66

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/10/business/fred-hickman-legendary-cnn-sportscaster-obituary/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2022-11-10T17%3A52%3A06&utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social

Quote:
Fred Hickman, who helped launch CNN Sports and YES Network, dead at 66

Fred Hickman, a pioneering sports broadcaster and anchor who helped to launch two major cable networks and influenced and informed a generation of sports journalists and fans, has died.

Hickman, who turned 66 on October 16, died peacefully in hospital after battling liver cancer according to his widow Sheila.

“A light has gone out,” Sheila Hickman told CNN.

Hickman was one of the first anchors on CNN. On June 1, 1980, the network’s first day on the air, he and Nick Charles were the first hosts of “Sports Tonight,” the 11 pm ET sports news and highlights program which competed with ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” often winning the time slot.

He stayed with CNN and Turner Sports for most of the next 21 years,

“Fred truly succeeded at everything he did and was adored by his colleagues in front of the camera and behind the scenes,” said Cory Charles, Nick Charles’ widow. Charles passed away in 2011.

“Fred and my late husband were known as Nick & Hick. I have so many memories over the past 30 years of him, not only as Nick’s partner, but as a dear friend and brother,” she said. “The two of them were not only incredible on the air but so hysterical off camera together.”

In 2001, Hickman moved to the YES Network, the regional sports network that airs Yankees and Brooklyn Nets games, among other programming. He was the first anchor to appear on the network’s initial broadcast on March 19, 2002, and its lead anchor for the network’s first three years.

“Fred was a joy to work with and a joyful person,” said YES broadcaster Michael Kay in a statement included in the network’s tribute to him Wednesday. “A total pro that you felt comfortable knowing would lead you the right way on the air. He was the first voice ever heard on YES and his professionalism put us all on the right track.”

After his time at YES, he moved to ESPN in 2004, serving as a host of “SportsCenter” among other programing there through 2008. He then moved on to Fox, serving as pre- and post-game host for the Atlanta Braves broadcasts on the Fox Sports South and Sport South Networks, through 2011.

Recently, he served as an anchor and managing editor at Black News Channel.
He was praised by many of his former colleagues and fans when news of his passing spread on Wednesday.

“I was the only female anchor at CNN Sports, and Fred was such a welcoming presence…always with a laugh, a quip, a story…and supremely talented,” ESPN’s Hannah Storm tweeted Wednesday.

“Had the privilege of working with him & Nick at CNN Sports. Huge talent with huge heart,” tweeted Dan Hicks of NBC Sports.

“If you are about my age, he was one of the faces on your sports-crazy youth on CNN. He was a true OG in the field,” tweeted Pittsburgh sports radio host Colin Dunlap, who called Hickman and some of his colleagues from that time “our internet before the internet.”

“It didn’t matter if you were a high-level executive or a production assistant on your first day, Fred made you feel special as soon as he met you. He was a wonderful person to be around – someone who brightened every room he walked into,” said YES anchor Bob Lorenz in YES’ tribute to him.

“As a professional Fred was noteworthy for his studio acumen, his presence that gave a fledgling nework instant credibility, his dedication to his craft and his excellence under pressure,” said John Filippelli, president of production and programming at YES.

Hickman began his broadcast career in radio, first in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, while he was in college, then at a station in his hometown of Springfield, Illinois.

He soon became an anchor, director and reporter at WICS-TV, also in Springfield. He worked there two years soon after college before moving to CNN.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject:

The only guy who didn't vote for Shaq as MVP in 2000
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I was thinking of posting the same thing, about an hour ago.

RIP, Hickman.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Same thing came to my mind when I saw the thread.

Sucks for him that he gained a lot of notoriety for that and received death threats as a result. But he presented a clear example of the BS hypocrisy that is "MVP" voting. He voted (in his mind at least) for the player whose value was the most valuable to his team. He believed PHI would be far worse without Iverson than the Lakers would be without Shaq. Shaq had a spectacular year though, and was "the best player on the best team"...which is where voters will usually lean.

Makes me think about how Kobe was playing on a whole 'nother level without another all-star on the team, but still lost an MVP to Nash. Those Laker teams between Shaq leaving and Gasol arriving were quite bad. Kobe made Smush Parker and Kwame look like competent starters.

RIP, Fred.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Same thing came to my mind when I saw the thread.

Sucks for him that he gained a lot of notoriety for that and received death threats as a result. But he presented a clear example of the BS hypocrisy that is "MVP" voting. He voted (in his mind at least) for the player whose value was the most valuable to his team. He believed PHI would be far worse without Iverson than the Lakers would be without Shaq. Shaq had a spectacular year though, and was "the best player on the best team"...which is where voters will usually lean.

Makes me think about how Kobe was playing on a whole 'nother level without another all-star on the team, but still lost an MVP to Nash. Those Laker teams between Shaq leaving and Gasol arriving were quite bad. Kobe made Smush Parker and Kwame look like competent starters.

RIP, Fred.

Let's just keep it real, Kobe only won 1 MVP because of the fallout from the rape allegations. It took him a long time to put that behind him. For many years, when talking about Kobe, the rape allegations were the first thing that people thought of (outside of LA and Laker fans). He also didn't get star calls for a while from the officials. But I digress.

Getting back to Hickman, I remember watching his CNN show with Nick Charles in the late 80's and 90's. I preferred the 90's SportsCenter duo of Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann, but whenever they weren't on, I'd switch over to "Hick And Nick", as they were affectionally called. It's a shame when someone dies relatively young, as he was 67. RIP.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject:

NBA on CNN. Not any weirder than anything else on there, but sorry to yell at clouds....back when the NBA was still worth promoting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: