Singer Roberta Flack diagnosed with ALS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Singer Roberta Flack diagnosed with ALS

This is so sad she gave us such awesome music

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/roberta-flack-diagnosed-als-made-impossible-sing/story?id=93283216

Quote:
Roberta Flack diagnosed with ALS, says it's 'made it impossible to sing'
Roberta Flack is known for famous hits, including "Killing Me Softly."

Singer Roberta Flack is no longer able to sing following a diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, otherwise known as ALS.

Her management team announced Monday the singer's ALS symptoms have "made it impossible to sing and not easy to speak." The statement added, "But it will take a lot more than ALS to silence this icon."

"Miss Flack plans to stay active in her musical and creative pursuits," her team stated. "Her fortitude and joyful embrace of music that lifted her from modest circumstances to the international spotlight remain vibrant and inspired."

Flack is said to be looking forward to "a banner year in 2023," and will pursue a "number of projects and anniversaries" celebrating her career and influence.

Among them is the 50th anniversary of her Grammy-nominated album "Killing Me Softly," which was certified twice Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The record featured the number-one hit "Killing Me Softly with His Song," which won the 1973 Grammy for Record of the Year.

MORE: Zac Brown Band plans one-night-only Nashville show to benefit ALS research
Flack's documentary, "Roberta," will air at the Doc NYC film festival on Nov. 17 and later on PBS on Jan. 24. It explores how she crafted her music genius and became a powerhouse in the industry.

Flack will also release the children's book "The Green Piano: How Little Me Found Music" on Jan. 10.

"I have long dreamed of telling my story to children about that first green piano that my father got for me from the junkyard in the hope that they would be inspired to reach for their dreams," the artist said in a statement. "I want them to know that dreams can come true with persistence, encouragement from family and friends, and most of all belief in yourself."

She'll also help mark the 75th anniversary of Atlantic Records, which first signed her in 1969.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, is a rare neurological disease that primarily affects the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that are responsible for controlling muscle movement, including chewing, walking and talking, according to the National Institutes of Health.

ALS was once commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, a famous baseball player in the 1940s who was forced to retire due to the disease.

The disease is progressive, meaning symptoms will worsen over time. Currently, there is no cure for ALS, but there are treatments that can prolong survival and slow how quickly symptoms arise, such as Riluzole and Edaravone. Most people with ALS die within three to five years from when symptoms first appear, however about 10% of people with ALS will survive for over 10 years, the NIH states.

The exact cause of ALS remains unknown. Although the disease can be diagnosed at any age, symptoms commonly develop between the ages of 55 and 75, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Sad to see the news. At 85, I don't think she was doing much singing anyway, but I hate the impact on her quality of life.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I heard she sang a good song. Poor lady.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Legendary vocal talent. Just an incredible singer. This is sad news, indeed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

A voice with soul that comes through in song. Best wishes Roberta Cleopatra Flack

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: