Official World Cup 2022 Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Official World Cup 2022 Thread

About to start, Qatar was a very odd choice to host the event and already things have been a little weird.

Qatar had agreed to honor FIFA contracts including for alcohol sales and are now changing the rules at the last minute. Suffice to say, it is unlikely they or any other countries in the region will ever host again after those antics.

Seems wide open from a playing standpoint, Brazil is the favorite but somehow I don't think they will win it. France is the defending champion, but it is almost impossible historically to repeat.

It will be interesting to see how the USA does. They are in an interesting group with England, Iran and Wales....no easy outs there, but I do think the USA has a shot to get out of the group stage.

I will take a flyer and pick England to shock the world and win it all.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject:

FIFA got their money but the event also showed the limits of their power. Probably will be rethinking holding events in regions of the world where they can't set the rules. I know the sponsors like Bud will probably be renegotiating their contracts.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official World Cup 2022 Thread

LakerLanny wrote:
About to start, Qatar was a very odd choice to host the event and already things have been a little weird.

Qatar had agreed to honor FIFA contracts including for alcohol sales and are now changing the rules at the last minute. Suffice to say, it is unlikely they or any other countries in the region will ever host again after those antics.

Seems wide open from a playing standpoint, Brazil is the favorite but somehow I don't think they will win it. France is the defending champion, but it is almost impossible historically to repeat.

It will be interesting to see how the USA does. They are in an interesting group with England, Iran and Wales....no easy outs there, but I do think the USA has a shot to get out of the group stage.

I will take a flyer and pick England to shock the world and win it all.

In theory, no team in the USA's group is overwhelmingly better than they are, but maybe I'll eat my words and perhaps England is far better than I think. But I think we can play with them. We need to get a result against Wales in the first game for sure.

The tournament definitely feels wide open. Brazil is the very slight favorite, but Argentina isn't far behind with the bookies, and that's a big change from the last World Cup, where they weren't given much of a serious chance by the oddsmakers. So their team must be a lot better this time, and I'd love to see Messi win the whole thing, since he doesn't have much time left on not only the world stage, but just in terms of his playing career.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

First time in my life I won't watch a minute of the World Cup. I hope it's a massive failure in the quality of play and organization.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Benzema out of the World Cup for France. Picked up a thigh injury in practice. I love how they call it "training" in soccer, though!

Seriously, this is a big deal for them.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject:

How much of the cut did ya take Gianni?

Forget a sober WC, people can't even access drinking water.

Off to a great start, guys!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
First time in my life I won't watch a minute of the World Cup. I hope it's a massive failure in the quality of play and organization.

I'll watch because this is probably one of the few World Cups where the USMNT seems like a decent team.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Not to mention the huge human rights violations factor. It’s an abomination this is even occurring.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject:

I'll watch because i love football that much, but hate that it is in Qatar and how corrupt it is.

Will be rooting for England, but if they can't win then i hope Messi does

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

Jurgen Klopp had the best reaction to the WC being held in Qatar.

LINK

Sepp Blatter already admitted it was a mistake awarding the WC to Qatar.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

Qatar getting worked by Ecuador in the tournament opener, they are not long for the tournament thankfully.

I don't understand awarding the tournament to a country that doesn't respect human rights but obviously it was a bribe situation.

I will still watch because I love the World Cup, but no more tournaments in draconian countries please.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

For those that don't get FS1, the games are also on Telemundo where you get the Spanish language broadcast. Here in LA its channel 52-1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Qatar getting worked by Ecuador in the tournament opener, they are not long for the tournament thankfully.

I don't understand awarding the tournament to a country that doesn't respect human rights but obviously it was a bribe situation.

I will still watch because I love the World Cup, but no more tournaments in draconian countries please.

The obvious is that the host country spent nearly $200-$220 billion on the games. It makes the World Cup desirable playing in shiny new stadiums and infrastructure. Of course the huge downside is that FIFA ended up losing a lot of their power since the Qatari government ended up calling the shots like the bans on alcohol and restriction of movement by media and visitors.Guessing FIFA learned a lesson from this debacle in that there needs to be a balance between going to the highest bidder or going to a place where it might be less well off but that where they could grow the game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

USA scores 1-0 in 35th minute.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

FFS
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Gareth Bale scores on the penalty kick. Tied game 1-1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Gareth Bale scores on the penalty kick. Tied game 1-1.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

horrible call, US defender touched the ball the first before tackled Bale.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Well it was fun while it lasted. Looks like they are coming out of this game with a tie unless something changes in the next couple of minutes.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject:

And thats game. Both teams get out with a point.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Well it was fun while it lasted. Looks like they are coming out of this game with a tie unless something changes in the next couple of minutes.

Not the worst result, at the end of the day

Still got a point so that's a positive.

Didn't watch the second half so wasn't sure if this was considered a 'let down' or not but it's better than a loss.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Best case scenario for Iran. They better recapture their form from Asian qualifying as well as beating Uruguay and tying with Senegal because if they do, they can beat USA and Wales and stay in this thing. Taremi and Azmoun are on another level from the Jozy Altidore's USMNT was putting out in the past. On another front, this WC is typical with all the likely results happening so far. Loved WC 2002 because from the very first match, a surprise result with the France-Senegal match and two shock semifinalists in South Korea and Turkey with even the USMNT getting to the knockout stage thanks to Korea beating Portugal and beating Mexico to make the Quarterfinals.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Huh? That was one of the most obvious penalties you will ever see. Just a truly disastrous foul from Zimmerman. It wasn't even a scoring opportunity, as Bale was just trying to get a touch as he was going away from goal. He got all Bale and went through him. Just a disastrous play from Zimmerman and it cost us big time. Wales controlled the play and the chances in the 2nd half, but without that penalty, we still may have been able to hold the lead.

Now it might come down to which of the USA or Wales beats Iran the most and which loses to England the least. I think we can play with England and maybe even get a result, but who knows. At least the Iran game is last, so we'll know if we need to pile up the goals in advance.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Actually caveat that, likely results are happening but I cant remember England playing this well since the Friendly in Germany when Michael Owen scored a hat-trick and England destroyed Germany 5-1 in 2001. Scoring 6 goals and dominating Iran is impressive considering the Iranians are the masters of bunker and counter and being extremely clinical with their chances.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Huh? That was one of the most obvious penalties you will ever see. Just a truly disastrous foul from Zimmerman. It wasn't even a scoring opportunity, as Bale was just trying to get a touch as he was going away from goal. He got all Bale and went through him. Just a disastrous play from Zimmerman and it cost us big time. Wales controlled the play and the chances in the 2nd half, but without that penalty, we still may have been able to hold the lead.

Now it might come down to which of the USA or Wales beats Iran the most and which loses to England the least. I think we can play with England and maybe even get a result, but who knows. At least the Iran game is last, so we'll know if we need to pile up the goals in advance.

Now nothing will surprise me in the group....other than England beating all three teams. It would not shock me in the least if Iran beats both Wales and USA (I actually thought Iran was going to finish second in this group prior to these results based on quality and form) or gets embarrassed with 3 straight losses.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18
Jump to: