View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Ghana won an absolute thriller over South Korea, 3-2. South Korea kept threatening to tie in stoppage time, with 10 extra minutes added. About 45 seconds past that, South Korea's last long-range attempt at goal was deflected over the end line by Ghana, but the referee blew the whistle for the end of the game instead of granting one final corner kick. South Korea and their coach were incensed, and the coach was actually shown a red card. Apparently 10 minutes and 45 seconds of stoppage time wasn't enough.

Its what Korea gets for letting go of their goal scoring hunt after scoring the equalizer. They had Ghana completely broken and demoralized and instead of hunting for that third goal, they let their foot off the gas pedal and let in a cheap 3rd goal. Well just like in 2002, we have to beat Portugal. That was their golden generation then when we effectively shutdown Luis Figo. Now we need our $100 million british pounds monster who is soon to go to Manchester United to shutdown the Manchester United reject Cristiano Ronaldo

But man did Jordan Ayew kill Korea. He single handedly won them this match.

Hoping for a Portugal victory over Uruguay today. It would make their round of 16 guaranteed and they might not play as hard against Korea in their third game. Might even sit out their top players to avoid injury.

Just frustrating because frankly Ghana sucks and Korea is the better team. This Ghana team is nowhere the quality of the old Ghanian team that everyone remembers. The one led by the spine of Muntari, Essien and Appiah that destroyed teams and created off the midfield and scored off the talents of Gyan. That team was objectively one of the greatest africans sides ever and completely outclassed Korea when we played them in friendlies while being a top 5-8 team in the world at their best.

As for Son Heung Min - just remember one of the greatest African players of all time and a better player than Son in Samuel Eto'o never really did anything for Cameroon in the World Cups as everyone knew thats the player you need to double and triple if necessary.

But Korea finally has a number 9 striker that is reliable and in my mind better than the hero of 2002 - Ahn Jung Hwan. Asian strikers have a renowned history of choking in the world cup. The US wishes they had a Cho Gue Sung right now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject:

Brazil's moment of elation wiped off the board for an offsides.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

And a quick strike by Brazil has them winning 1-0 in the closing moments of the game.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the USA Team has done some strategizing on how to improve the offense, they cannot afford a tie tomorrow so it is time to press forward from the start even at the risk of a counter in order to score.

They have to find a way to get the ball into the back of the net tomorrow, no more excuses or saying they dominated when they didn't score.

Let's GO!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hopefully the USA Team has done some strategizing on how to improve the offense, they cannot afford a tie tomorrow so it is time to press forward from the start even at the risk of a counter in order to score.

They have to find a way to get the ball into the back of the net tomorrow, no more excuses or saying they dominated when they didn't score.

Let's GO!

I think USA has the exact same problem South Korea had which is they have technically savvy players who can hold possession and control a game but have problems generating useful chances to truly breakthrough when they are on level terms and not actively hunting for goals and when you are pathetic enough to start Josh Sargent who is even lower class than Hwang Ui Jo, your #9 situation at the one top is truly bad. Without question, the US has the worst strikers of anyone in this world cup. Comparing a Sargent or Ferreira to Mehdi Taremi or Sardar Azmoun in Iran is an absolute joke. If I am Iran I do what other teams did to Son Heung Min which is key in on Christian Pulisic and dare the others to beat you. Space will be lacking so Weah will not even be a threat until someone scores. Lets see how tough-minded Gio Reyna is because Berhalter has been screwing with him. Its quite telling that even Taylor Twellman does not think the US will move on and the reason is simple: the US has trouble scoring with a terrible #9 situation and Iran's natural gameplan is to bunker and counter. Is the US good enough to control the game to the extent England did and give Iran no breathing space to counter will be the only way they will win. That requires the US midfield to completely overwhelm the Iranian midfield like what Bellingham and Saka did to Iran.

Also pressing forward to score on Iran is exactly what the US did to Iran in 1998. The US defense overall did a good job keying in on the real threat: Asias most prolific striker Ali Daei but their defense got caught on the counter and gave up the goals to lose 2-0 after controlling posession.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Let's GO!

I think USA has the exact same problem South Korea had which is they have technically savvy players who can hold possession and control a game but have problems generating useful chances to truly breakthrough when they are on level terms and not actively hunting for goals and when you are pathetic enough to start Josh Sargent who is even lower class than Hwang Ui Jo, your #9 situation at the one top is truly bad. Without question, the US has the worst strikers of anyone in this world cup. Comparing a Sargent or Ferreira to Mehdi Taremi or Sardar Azmoun in Iran is an absolute joke. If I am Iran I do what other teams did to Son Heung Min which is key in on Christian Pulisic and dare the others to beat you. Space will be lacking so Weah will not even be a threat until someone scores. Lets see how tough-minded Gio Reyna is because Berhalter has been screwing with him.

I'm not a fan of the players Berhalter seems to favor. Sargent starting the first game was terrible, and the fact that Jordan Morris is even on the team -- and was used as a sub against Wales -- is just beyond pathetic. Ferreira should start against Iran imo, but I agree that the U.S. doesn't have a dependable striker.

Iran really took the game to Wales. It will be interesting to see if they continue with that aggressive style since it seemed to work so well for them, or if they are more passive since they know they'll go through to the knockout stage with a draw unless Wales shock England. If I were them, I wouldn't just lay back and play for the tie. That said, I do expect the U.S. to have much more of the ball than Wales did against Iran, even if Iran came out with an aggressive mindset.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Let's GO!

I think USA has the exact same problem South Korea had which is they have technically savvy players who can hold possession and control a game but have problems generating useful chances to truly breakthrough when they are on level terms and not actively hunting for goals and when you are pathetic enough to start Josh Sargent who is even lower class than Hwang Ui Jo, your #9 situation at the one top is truly bad. Without question, the US has the worst strikers of anyone in this world cup. Comparing a Sargent or Ferreira to Mehdi Taremi or Sardar Azmoun in Iran is an absolute joke. If I am Iran I do what other teams did to Son Heung Min which is key in on Christian Pulisic and dare the others to beat you. Space will be lacking so Weah will not even be a threat until someone scores. Lets see how tough-minded Gio Reyna is because Berhalter has been screwing with him.

I'm not a fan of the players Berhalter seems to favor. Sargent starting the first game was terrible, and the fact that Jordan Morris is even on the team -- and was used as a sub against Wales -- is just beyond pathetic. Ferreira should start against Iran imo, but I agree that the U.S. doesn't have a dependable striker.

Iran really took the game to Wales. It will be interesting to see if they continue with that aggressive style since it seemed to work so well for them, or if they are more passive since they know they'll go through to the knockout stage with a draw unless Wales shock England. If I were them, I wouldn't just lay back and play for the tie. That said, I do expect the U.S. to have much more of the ball than Wales did against Iran, even if Iran came out with an aggressive mindset.

Without a doubt the US will control 60% if not more of the possession. The way to victory for the US is to overwhelm Iran similar to what England did but unlike against England, Iran will not give the US that level of respect. But thats what a young aggressive team whose strength is in the midfield is good for. The US only hopes for a clean victory is to dominate the midfield and give Iran no breathing room. If there is any sense that Iran has breathing room or playing possum on their terms where they know they can strike on the counter as soon as they dispossess the US, the US will be finished. Adams, McKennie and Musah will be the key because I promise you if the Iranians get any sort of daylight, Azmoun and/or Taremi will bury it.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

Big day today for the US team, think you guys will win, but Iran are a bit better than people think and do carry a threat on the break if given the chance.

Hoping for England to send Wales home, would enjoy that very much.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

What a win for the USA....intense game.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

US played great especially in the first half. They hung tough in the second and caught a few breaks but thats the way this rolls. I had a feeling Pulisic would score for the US. I just thought Taremi or Azmoun would equalize but the better team is moving on. No idea how US would beat Holland though but making it out the group stage is a good job.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
US played great especially in the first half. They hung tough in the second and caught a few breaks but thats the way this rolls. I had a feeling Pulisic would score for the US. I just thought Taremi or Azmoun would equalize but the better team is moving on. No idea how US would beat Holland though but making it out the group stage is a good job.

The US actually has a good chance beating Holland. The Dutch may be the favorites but the team has been underwhelming. Frenkie de Jong and Memphis are overrated. If not for the individual brilliance of Gakpo the Dutch wouldn't have survived the groups phase.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject:

I don’t follow futbol. But it certainly was an exciting game however I am so impressed with Tyler Adams and how he represents us.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe LG was down during the game! Some of my thoughts...

We probably should have scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half, which led to the chaotic finish and barely hanging on. But a win's a win at this stage! I agree that we have a shot against the Netherlands, as this isn't their strongest side, so it's a pretty good draw for us, all in all. We just so clearly lack a finishing quality in the final third, whether it's the right strike, the right touch, the right pass, something. Team USA is like an NFL team with a solid roster of players but with a QB that's pedestrian. We can only go so far because of it. I think the defensive organization, goalkeeping, and athleticism/speed are certainly there. But the team clearly lacks finishing quality.

We had so many misplays that it made me wonder if "Antonee" translates to "heavy touch", and Musah had two terrible moments late, one on a pathetic free kick from just 21 out and the other taking a silly reach foul to give Iran a dangerous free kick in stoppage time, where the header barely went wide. Shaq Moore was God-awful as a sub, and so was Haji Wright (how the hell is he playing over other options?). But it was a good move to get Zimmerman in there because he is good in the air and Berhalter knew that Iran would be sending balls into the box as they got desperate. It was definitely heart-pounding in stoppage time as we just went into a total shell, and extreme nervous time before they showed replays of the two potential penalties, one for possible handball and the other for a possible foul. Neither were penalties, though, but before they showed replays, my heart was pounding.

Agree with Halflife about Adams, and there was a great moment on the pitch right after the game ended, where several US players were seen consoling a clearly emotional Saeid Ezatolahi. They were a quality side, they played with a lot of spirit, and I didn't see nearly as much flopping from them as you'd typically see from European or South American sides. My hat is off to Iran's team, and they have a lot to be proud of.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it would've been nice to post during the game.
But the USMNT team during this FIFA World Cup is like the the NFL team that goes 8-8 and barely makes the playoffs....and they only got there because of some late game heroics. They could've score another 2 goals, one where there was an extra pass that didn't need to be made and the Iranian defender was there to kick the ball out of play. The other one was the offsides which was huge since that nullified the 2nd goal. So during stoppage time of the 2nd half was when things really got crazy. The Iranians desperate to get the equalizer really lobbied hard for the PK on that play but the refs didn't give it to them. That could've really sealed the fate of the USMNT team but luckily they let them play on. And they were able to run out the clock and seal the W.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
...and Musah had two terrible moments late, one on a pathetic free kick from just 21 out and the other taking a silly reach foul to give Iran a dangerous free kick in stoppage time, where the header barely went wide.

That free kick was so bad it was almost comical, absolutely no idea what he was trying to do there.

I have a concern about our corner kicks, they have been brutally executed so far. I am not sure Pulicic should still be taking them at this point, he has not been good in that area at all through the Group Stage but of course came up huge with the run to the net and the crucial goal today.

What do you think about having some other players taking corners or maybe short kicking more of them?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
...and Musah had two terrible moments late, one on a pathetic free kick from just 21 out and the other taking a silly reach foul to give Iran a dangerous free kick in stoppage time, where the header barely went wide.

That free kick was so bad it was almost comical, absolutely no idea what he was trying to do there.

I have a concern about our corner kicks, they have been brutally executed so far. I am not sure Pulicic should still be taking them at this point, he has not been good in that area at all through the Group Stage but of course came up huge with the run to the net and the crucial goal today.

What do you think about having some other players taking corners or maybe short kicking more of them?

I agree that Pulisic's service during the 3 Group games has been lackluster, as his kicks have tended to not have much bend or shape to them. Aaronson's service in the 2nd half today was much better on those corners. I'm not generally in favor of short corners, as I just think you should have your best service provider (what is this, health care talk, ha) take it directly from the spot and try to get it into the mixer and find the right head to get on the end of it.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:15 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

The US actually has a good chance beating Holland. The Dutch may be the favorites but the team has been underwhelming. Frenkie de Jong and Memphis are overrated. If not for the individual brilliance of Gakpo the Dutch wouldn't have survived the groups phase.

USA has a chance, Netherlands have been ok and did enough to win their group which isn’t an insignificant thing, but they haven’t exactly showed their best yet. Of any other potential group winner you’d like to get in the next round, this is one of the matches USA could look and and feel ok about it.

USA need to play fast and press high, that’s their key to success for me against this Netherlands team. They can’t sit off and let them pick their passes all night long.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I can't believe LG was down during the game! Some of my thoughts...

We probably should have scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half, which led to the chaotic finish and barely hanging on. But a win's a win at this stage! I agree that we have a shot against the Netherlands, as this isn't their strongest side, so it's a pretty good draw for us, all in all. We just so clearly lack a finishing quality in the final third, whether it's the right strike, the right touch, the right pass, something. Team USA is like an NFL team with a solid roster of players but with a QB that's pedestrian. We can only go so far because of it. I think the defensive organization, goalkeeping, and athleticism/speed are certainly there. But the team clearly lacks finishing quality.

We had so many misplays that it made me wonder if "Antonee" translates to "heavy touch", and Musah had two terrible moments late, one on a pathetic free kick from just 21 out and the other taking a silly reach foul to give Iran a dangerous free kick in stoppage time, where the header barely went wide. Shaq Moore was God-awful as a sub, and so was Haji Wright (how the hell is he playing over other options?). But it was a good move to get Zimmerman in there because he is good in the air and Berhalter knew that Iran would be sending balls into the box as they got desperate. It was definitely heart-pounding in stoppage time as we just went into a total shell, and extreme nervous time before they showed replays of the two potential penalties, one for possible handball and the other for a possible foul. Neither were penalties, though, but before they showed replays, my heart was pounding.

Agree with Halflife about Adams, and there was a great moment on the pitch right after the game ended, where several US players were seen consoling a clearly emotional Saeid Ezatolahi. They were a quality side, they played with a lot of spirit, and I didn't see nearly as much flopping from them as you'd typically see from European or South American sides. My hat is off to Iran's team, and they have a lot to be proud of.

I will say back in the 1994-2010 generations of USMNT, the team's athleticism was really at the level of top asian sides but now our athletes look to be one step ahead and on the class with those in Europe. Its a huge difference when I even compare the 2002 team that made the quarterfinals to the one now when Landon Donovan and DeMarcus Beasley were probably our two best pure athletes. The USMNT have always had world class goalkeeping so I dont think Turner is any sort of upgrade there: In fact its a downgrade if anything from the like of Friedel, Howard and Keller. The shaky CB defending went from Jeff Agoos to Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy's own) and now Walker Zimmerman. But overall all this is fine. I agree that the biggest issue is striker and this is where the USMNT has suffered in real quality from the likes of Wynalda, McBride and even Mathis and Altidore to the pathetic piece of poo poo platter strikers we have now in Josh Sargent, Ferriera, Wright and even the Sounders Jordan Morris (if you can even call him a striker anymore). Its truly Wondolowski-esque and I mean the choking worthless version of Wondo. But I love the spine of the team and this will always keep the USMNT in games. Unfortunately, this team will be very lucky to score 2 goals in any game against any world cup opposition much less the ones in the round of 16.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

Australia advances into the round of 16 despite the 1st game beatdown to France.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Australia advances into the round of 16 despite the 1st game beatdown to France.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

Messi denied from the penalty spot after a pretty generous PK decision. Wow. Still 0-0 in both games.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Argentina and Mexico have scored early in the 2nd half. And as I just typed that, Mexico has scored again! They are up 2-0 on Saudi Arabia. Mexico is now just 1 goal behind in GD against Poland. If they tie that up, the next tiebreaker would be goals for. Right now, both Poland and Mexico have scored 2 goals. Which means, if Mexico can score another goal, they would hold the tiebreaker if Argentina hangs on to win 1-0.

It's getting spicy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject:

So Argentina just scored to go up 2-0. Mexico is up 2-0. Both Mexico and Poland are now tied in total goals for and goal differential. FIFA have Poland going through at the moment based on the next tiebreaker, which is fair play points (fewer yellow/red cards). So Mexico still need to score one more, or have Argentina score again. And Argentina are getting chance after chance in this game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Crazy if Mexico is eliminated and USA and Australia advance.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Poland is just playing defense now knowing they get thru if the current results hold.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18
Jump to: