Official World Cup 2022 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

Saudi Arabia was the only team to beat Argentina this WC. No one else even tied. They just went on a tear after that loss.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

What a damn shame the true GOAT couldnt be ordained as in not the perennial choker Messi but the guy who has the flair of Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar without the extravagence and the calm coolness of Messi with the game similar to El Fenomeno R9 Ronaldo. Watching Mbappe was like watching Floyd Mayweather - a young great reach greatness at a young age and knowing the future is unlimited. What a shame he had to lose cause his teammates were not clutch enough. The mental fortitude to step up to the spot 3 times against a great penalty saver in Martinez and bury all his chances. I know a guy who has choked way too often on penalties and his name is Messi.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately for Mbappe, Argentina was the better team for most of the game. Mbappe had to pull out a hat trick just to tie the game.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

Messi with the gorilla off his back. Mbappe with the golden boot. Great WC final match in a tournament surrounded by controversy.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kobehighlight/status/1601337725311156224?s=61&t=UsbLjnDFza3l0Vzn0fINYQ
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
https://twitter.com/kobehighlight/status/1601337725311156224?s=61&t=UsbLjnDFza3l0Vzn0fINYQ

Like Kobe, Messi was a choker when he was young. Unlike Messi, Kobe overcame this fairly early in his career through his force of sheer abrasive will. Messi just got better at handling pressure as he got more exposure. The true GOAT is Mbappe who naturally is mentally tough with all the skills to boot. I actually think Mbappe is more naturally clutch than Kobe. In the clutch department, he is comparable to someone like Brady, Mayweather, Van Exel and Horry. Obviously Van Exel and Horry are on another tier from these guys but in terms of just clutchness, Van Exel and Horry are two of the best ever. What these 4 guys all have in common is that they were naturally clutch as hell and impervious to pressure from the very beginning, even as youngsters.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

I don't know about Mbappe vs Kobe, but that young man is certainly an up and coming beast.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I don't know about Mbappe vs Kobe, but that young man is certainly an up and coming beast.

He won the World Cup as a teenager. He was following the footsteps of Pele had he won in 2022.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

What a final and what a tournament, unreal.

Congratulations to Argentina, that was a thrilling watch.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

I keep thinking of how France were denied literally AT THE DEATH of extra time with a 1-on-1 against the keeper. Martinez was just incredible. They might as well build him a statue right now outside the Casa Rosada crying Eva Peron.

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
TDRock wrote:

He won the World Cup as a teenager. He was following the footsteps of Pele had he won in 2022.

Oh wow. ⚽️🥅
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

OK I just read a really nice story on dude bro on Telemundo. That he is Argentinian and basically he's been waiting for this his whole life so he certainly gets a crying pass. 👍🏾🧡
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
OK I just read a really nice story on dude bro on Telemundo. That he is Argentinian and basically he's been waiting for this his whole life so he certainly gets a crying pass. 👍🏾🧡

I watched his call of it after the fact. He's incredible. One of the true legendary sports announcers, as far as I'm concerned.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
TDRock wrote:

I watched his call of it after the fact. He's incredible. One of the true legendary sports announcers, as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed. The last several years I've watched World Cup I've watched it on Telemundo. Even if I'm only understanding part of it it's just such a superior broadcast.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
What a damn shame the true GOAT couldnt be ordained as in not the perennial choker Messi but the guy who has the flair of Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar without the extravagence and the calm coolness of Messi with the game similar to El Fenomeno R9 Ronaldo. Watching Mbappe was like watching Floyd Mayweather - a young great reach greatness at a young age and knowing the future is unlimited. What a shame he had to lose cause his teammates were not clutch enough. The mental fortitude to step up to the spot 3 times against a great penalty saver in Martinez and bury all his chances. I know a guy who has choked way too often on penalties and his name is Messi.

Mbappé is a great great young player with the chance to be an all timer, but anointing him early, then comparing him to a boxer who made sure he never fought a dangerous opponent in their prime, and then denigrating an all time great who just poured it all out there this year is kind of an unnecessarily salty and weak take. Take the L with a bit more maturity.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't going to watch any of the games because of the many controversies involved with this World Cup, but I did end up many games. I just love the game too much, I guess.

The two best teams met in the final and Argentina deserved to win. Considering what was at stake, it might have been the greatest final of all time. France messed up their lineup and tactics and Argentina ended up dominating for about 75 minutes, but the substitutions helped to get France some energy into the game and Mbappe entered a new gear. I can't think of another player with his combination of athleticism and technique. He is impossible to stop in open play. Even though I'm pissed that he misled Madrid and ended up staying with PSG, I hope he somehow still ends up with Madrid one day.

When penalties came, I knew Argentina would win. France apparently doesn't practice them and they haven't had penalties in a long time. The result ended up being right.

Messi, as much as it pains to say as a Madrid fan (he has caused me so much pain), is the GOAT. Period.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

the hate is palpable... chill.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

I always feel like a person who can’t appreciate Messi is one who doesn’t really see the true beauty of the game.

Perhaps you’d feel differently if you’d taken a penalty in front of a crowd before, I can assure you it isn’t as easy as it looks when you get up there.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I always feel like a person who can’t appreciate Messi is one who doesn’t really see the true beauty of the game.

Perhaps you’d feel differently if you’d taken a penalty in front of a crowd before, I can assure you it isn’t as easy as it looks when you get up there.

Messi is one of the best to ever play, and is better than CR or Zidane. Is he the GOAT? While Maradona had a better international career Messi has a better club record. I'm also partial to Cruyff when in comes to GOAT discussions. And Romario was my favorite player. Anyway Messie should at least be top 5 in any GOAT discussion.
The only (minor) thing I don't like is when he fakes his penalty to throw off the keeper. FIFA should ban this. When a player starts his motion he cannot stop before taking the kick. That's like a basketball player faking his freethrow. Neymar also does this all the time.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Moses wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Messi is one of the best to ever play, and is better than CR or Zidane. Is he the GOAT? While Maradona had a better international career Messi has a better club record. I'm also partial to Cruyff when in comes to GOAT discussions. And Romario was my favorite player. Anyway Messie should at least be top 5 in any GOAT discussion.
The only (minor) thing I don't like is when he fakes his penalty to throw off the keeper. FIFA should ban this. When a player starts his motion he cannot stop before taking the kick. That's like a basketball player faking his freethrow. Neymar also does this all the time.

To me Messi is the GOAT by an absolute mile. His peak was the greatest I’ve ever seen, his best season is better than what anyone else ever did, his longevity and achievements, list goes on… CR7 should be the second greatest ever because of goal scoring, longevity and sheer athleticism, but I think Messi’s skill and playmaking put him above.

I don’t put the older players in the conversation to be honest, I think the game has changed and evolved so much that a player like Maradona probably wouldn’t have the conditioning to be what he was back then if he played now. And as for Mbappe who was mentioned above, he isn’t for me even the best French player ever, maybe when he’s done he will be, but not yet.

On subject of pens, the stuttered run up in a way is clever because it can force a keeper to react, but it looks dumb as hell if the player then misses.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

You just validated my point as to why guys who dont choke on critical penalties - and there are guys who never seem to miss - are extremely mentally clutch. As in Mbappe. Or how about guys like Zidane, Hierro and Shearer. Some guys just dont miss penalties and when you see these guys step up to the spot - its pretty much a guaranteed goal. No one can say Messi is one of these people. Those who seem to love Messi just dont seem to appreciate the cuthroatness or ruthlessness of sport to win and dont appreciate those that have always displayed a clutch mental toughness from the very beginning at the highest levels of sport - like a Tom Brady or Madison Bumgarner or Magic Johnson
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Moses wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

You just validated my point as to why guys who dont choke on critical penalties - and there are guys who never seem to miss - are extremely mentally clutch. As in Mbappe. Or how about guys like Zidane, Hierro and Shearer. Some guys just dont miss penalties and when you see these guys step up to the spot - its pretty much a guaranteed goal. No one can say Messi is one of these people. Those who seem to love Messi just dont seem to appreciate the cuthroatness or ruthlessness of sport to win and dont appreciate those that have always displayed a clutch mental toughness from the very beginning at the highest levels of sport - like a Tom Brady or Madison Bumgarner or Magic Johnson

I find it kind of hilarious that you keep bringing up Messi choking on pens when he went 6/7 on them during this WC, including burying 4/4 in the knock-out rounds and 2/2 today in the single biggest game of his life. Seems pretty cut-throat/clutch to me

Of all times to bring that up to discredit him, now ain't it.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Moses wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I find it kind of hilarious that you keep bringing up Messi choking on pens when he went 6/7 on them during this WC, including burying 4/4 in the knock-out rounds and 2/2 today in the single biggest game of his life. Seems pretty cut-throat/clutch to me

Of all times to bring that up to discredit him, now ain't it.

What you started watching Messi during this world cup????? Messi falling short in the biggest international games has always been a thing for him. So the guy fails over and over again and finally succeeds so now he is the GOAT???? Please....give me the guy who was Mr. Clutch from the very beginning and is impervious to pressure.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject:

When news articles are being written if you are a choker or not to as recently as a few years ago and you actually have to tell the news media early in your career that you are not a choker.....yes you are a choker. Did anyone ever question if Brady, Schilling, Bumgarner, Koufax, Zidane, Hierro, Djokovic or Jordan were ever chokers? No one in their right mind ever did. Why? Cause these guys dont choke and if they did it was really a fluke incident.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

BBC News

(Is Lionel Messi the greatest footballer of all time after World Cup win? - BBC News)

Quote:
Argentina’s Lionel Messi has an impressive number of awards and trophies to his name.

The 35-year-old has won seven Ballons d'Or, four Champions Leagues, one Copa America, 10 La Liga titles with Barcelona and a Ligue 1 crown in France with Paris St-Germain.

But now, after playing in five tournaments - the first in 2005 - the Argentina captain has added the World Cup to his collection.

So, does this mean Messi is football’s greatest?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18
Jump to: