Why was Pelinka extended?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Why was Pelinka extended?

Dont know if this was previously asked but someone tell me why he was given an extension when laker fans are watching a team thats 5 games under 500.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

Because Jeanie Buss doesn’t know how to run a franchise. I disagree with those who say she doesn’t care, I think that she does. She just wasn’t able to learn much from her father.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

If you win a championship, you get an extension. Unless your name is Frank Vogel.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject:

because he was responsible for the 2020 championship while Vogel was responsible for the following two seasons even though AD was never healthy. And because Jeanie is blonde.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Why was Pelinka extended?

DrWolf wrote:
Dont know if this was previously asked but someone tell me why he was given an extension when laker fans are watching a team thats 5 games under 500.

Dr. Buss bought the team when Jeanie was 18 years old. Her entire adult life has been spent around the team. Being deeply insular, dealing with competitive infighting with her siblings, and inheriting her father’s affinity for hiring within his inner circle has led her to value “trust” and the “Laker family” over skill and accomplishment. Makes sense when you consider that she has never had to earn or compete for a job.

Pelinka is her connection to Kobe, and his extension is a result of truly idiotic advice she got from Phil Jackson. The issue is that she only talks to people she trusts and the people she trusts are all the kinds of people you don’t want to take advice from.

So yeah, it’s a bummer Pelinka got extended, but it’s a symptom of a much larger problem. If she fired Pelinka (which he deserved) who do you think the next GM would be? Either Kurt Rambis or someone picked by Kurt Rambis. Think Rambis is going to pick someone who might usurp his own power? Feel better? Yeah, me neither.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka swings for the fences (ie Kawhai) but his better moves are smaller ones (Danny Green, Monk, Walker III). He has been ok on the buyout market (Morris Drummond). He definitely plays the long game during the season. His mid level exception signings have been bad (Nunn, Harrell)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Rob never learned under anyone. Mitch was under West's wings for many years. Even the current Warrior's GM spent some time as the Asst. GM.

Rob doesn't know how to build a team. He only thinks in terms of grand slams, and eschews getting a walk to load the bases, or getting singles and doubles and then guess what, you're not reliant on a big swing (which is often more of a miss).

He doesn't understand continuity and stability, literally churning over the roster year after year and not understanding the nuances of the CBA either.

Good thing we have him until 2026!
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Can't blame Pelinka for the state of the team if he's not there absorbing all the criticism.

Bron's a billionaire... Jeanie's percentage is worth 100s of millions

Paying a chump 5 million a year to take the blame is a good value from what I can see.

And it's clearly working from most of your reactions.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Rob really is the patsy.

Perhaps the real enemies of the Lakers are the Rambiis and Jeanie. That could be what pushed Magic to leave.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Can't blame Pelinka for the state of the team if he's not there absorbing all the criticism.

Paying a chump 5 million a year to take the blame is a good value from what I can see.

What does LBJ's wealth have to do with anything?

Last time I checked, the two primary architects of the team are Jeanie/Rob. If you think that they have done everything in their power the past 2 seasons to empower the team, then I've got some swampland to sell you.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

OK great that answers the OP's question: Jeanie is the reason Rob was extended.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

To make sure all the blames go to him, for threads like these that direct all the anger towards him. The real issue is Jeanie and the Buss family
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

OK great that answers the OP's question: Jeanie is the reason Rob was extended.

Jeanie and Bron.

He doesn't extend if he doesn't know what's going on with the team.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Last time I checked, the two primary architects of the team are Jeanie/Rob. If you think that they have done everything in their power the past 2 seasons to empower the team, then I've got some swampland to sell you.

Three things in life are certain.

Death, taxes, and Yinoma protecting Bron from any blame.

Comforting in some perverse way, I suppose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Who said I'm protecting LBJ from any blame?

You are sidestepping the fact that Jeanie/Rob extended LBJ (they could have said no). Executed the Russ trade (with Jeanie reaching out to the Wiz owner).

I'll blame players for on-court stuff. But for the franchise vision, roster construction, etc., that's on Rob/Jeanie.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject:

My #breadcrumbs:
1. He does everything that basketball ops department would do. Say what you will about Pelinka, but his rep is he is a hard worker and always ready with multiple plans…2019 example after Kawhi debacle. So why pay for 3 positions when Pelinka does it all with the help of the Buss brothers.—> KEY POINT: this is not my opinion, it’s what I think Jeanie believes…

2. In Jeanie’s mind, he’s a super exec because he got Lebron and AD to sign extensions. What Jeanie doesn’t realize is LeEmpire was never leaving LA. He’s accruing as much wealth as he can to buy the soon to be Vegas franchise. No brainer for LeChaseKareem$$. Also no brainer for AD. Guaranteed long term deal while he plays half seasons.

So basically, Pelinka is a yes man that does all the dirty work for Klutch and is cheaper for Jeanie than having a modern Basketball ops department. Heck, they don’t even have a scouting department per what has been floated. It’s basically her younger brothers scouting with Pelinka and then they have that Turk dude probably on a cheap contract relative to his peers roaming in Europe and Asia.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

You are sidestepping the fact that Jeanie/Rob extended LBJ (they could have said no). Executed the Russ trade (with Jeanie reaching out to the Wiz owner).

I'll blame players for on-court stuff. But for the franchise vision, roster construction, etc., that's on Rob/Jeanie.

You believe Jeanie rolled out of bed one day and said to herself

"You know what, I don't like this Buddy trade, I'm going to see if we can get Russ instead"

I believe Bron was the catalyst.

Is Jeanie ultimately responsible because she's the owner?

Sure, in terms of her allowing it to happen.

But this is a case of a clueless owner putting too much trust in her star player imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie gets the glory for the 2020 championship.

She also needs to get the blame for how you go from a championship to where we are. You are at the helm of this, and then she extends Rob after one of the worst Lakers season (and then keeps it secret b/c she knew the backlash it would receive).

Blaming your SUPERSTAR for everything is lame. Nothing gets done without Rob/Jeanie's approval.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

"You know what, I don't like this Buddy trade, I'm going to see if we can get Russ instead"

But this is a case of a clueless owner putting too much trust in her star player imo.

To be fair, you likely believe Bron had Kennedy assassinated...
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was Pelinka extended?

DrWolf wrote:

Why did Pelinka keep his extension a secret?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie's public explanation for the extension was so that Pelinka and Ham's contracts would run the same amount of time, allowing them to be in alignment about decisions.

There was a lot of criticism about the extension, with people saying it demonstrated the Lakers inability to evaluate Pelinka's job performance. Some said it simply reflected Jeanie's preference to keep things "in the family," based on Pelinka's connection to Kobe as his former agent.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I believe LeBron James is more powerful than Rob Pelinka

Sue me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was Pelinka extended?

zambia wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

Why did Pelinka keep his extension a secret?

The extension wasn't kept a secret. Chris Hayes of Yahoo broke the news of the extension a few hours after Pelinka and the Lakers reached an agreement on Oct. 8th.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I think we have a winner for the one-liner of the day.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I believe LeBron James is more powerful than Rob Pelinka

Sue me.

Nah, believe what you like, even if it is a weird negative obsession (combined with a number of cases of not having any notion of the facts of what you're opining about) that defines your fandom, or at least the outward expression of it. Just pointing out to other people that the information is being provided by an aggressively unreliable narrator.

Counter sue me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: