Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject:

won't be surprised if Seager blasts this one out
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
won't be surprised if Seager blasts this one out

They basically int walked him. Didn’t throw him a single strike - he chases two balls at the start to get something to hit but that was that.

Move paid off. Carter K and Garver grounds out.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Arizona is probably going to win this in a walk-off run.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Bochy was on his couch and was like...

ok you haven't won ever? well, I guess I'll have to do it myself.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Bochy was on his couch and was like...

ok you haven't won ever? well, I guess I'll have to do it myself.

I don't know what kind of voodoo magic this guy does but man...give him a post season berth and all bets are off.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Paul Sewald in the Wild Card Series, NLDS and NLCS:
8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K.

Paul Sewald in the World Series:
2 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Seager and R Jackson (He gave me his bat and ball)
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I guaran-freaking-tee you that the Dodgers would have played the infield back there in the bottom of the 1st in that situation, Carroll on 3rd and 1 out. Bochy says no, we aren't conceding anything. I love it.

Roberts plays not to lose

We just do so many things in a passive way. Concede the run early in the game; we'll come back. Hold the runner at third with less than 2 outs; we'll drive him in anyway, why risk an out? Don't steal the base even with the new rules that heavily favor steals and even if a fast runner is aboard; why risk one of your 27 precious outs?

Consistent with the hitting approach of trying to win it with home runs. But is this really going to work in the playoffs? It hasn’t so far.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Finally the season is over. Looking forward to 2024.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Free agency begins in 5 days. I think that officially ends this season and turns the page toward next season.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Bochy has four World Series rings and Roberts has one.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shane Sparks
@ShaneSparksBTN

“Will Smith” has won the World Series 4 years in-a-row on 4 different team. Dodgers, Braves, Astros and Rangers. Pretty Wild….
@MLB

This means Will Smith the reliever has won the last 3 WS with 3 different teams:

Quote:
2021: ATL
2022: HOU
2023: TEX
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence that Bochy has four World Series rings and Roberts has one.

Nope
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Free agency begins in 5 days. I think that officially ends this season and turns the page toward next season.

So depressing. Let’s get to work building another another 100 win reg season team.

Sigh…..
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I guaran-freaking-tee you that the Dodgers would have played the infield back there in the bottom of the 1st in that situation, Carroll on 3rd and 1 out. Bochy says no, we aren't conceding anything. I love it.

Roberts plays not to lose

We just do so many things in a passive way. Concede the run early in the game; we'll come back. Hold the runner at third with less than 2 outs; we'll drive him in anyway, why risk an out? Don't steal the base even with the new rules that heavily favor steals and even if a fast runner is aboard; why risk one of your 27 precious outs?

Consistent with the hitting approach of trying to win it with home runs. But is this really going to work in the playoffs? It hasn’t so far.

Nope. Passive baseball does not work in the playoffs.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject:

I should know this by now but how long typically until the top FAs sign? Is it after the winter meetings? Could I potentially know where Ohtani is going before Xmas?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
I should know this by now but how long typically until the top FAs sign? Is it after the winter meetings? Could I potentially know where Ohtani is going before Xmas?

Quote:
NEW YORK -- American League MVP Aaron Judge and the New York Yankees on Tuesday finalized their $360 million, nine-year contract, the third-largest deal in baseball history.

Dec 20, 2022

Quote:
The Philadelphia Phillies have landed a coveted star shortstop. The Phillies and two-time All-Star Trea Turner have agreed to an 11-year contract worth $300 million, reports ESPN.

Dec 5, 2022

Quote:
In the biggest splash of the off-season so far, deGrom signed a five-year, $185 million deal with the Texas Rangers on Friday, leaving the only club he had ever played for, in a city that never quite seemed to fit him.

Dec 5, 2022

Quote:
Xander Bogaerts signs 11-year deal with Padres; deal pays $280M, sources confirm

Dec 8, 2022
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Report: Padres Took Out $50M Loan To Help Cover Payroll

The San Diego Padres took out a $50 million loan in September to help cover short-term expenses, including player payroll, according to a report.

The club opened the 2023 season with a franchise-record $248.9 million payroll.

San Diego's payroll was as low as $97.2 million in 2019.

Earlier this month, it was reported the Padres plan to lower payroll into the $200 million range next season.

Yup.

It never made sense to me how a team could go from a small market team (in terms of spending) to a top 3 spending team.

Now we know. It wasn't sustainable, no matter how rich their owner is. They still needed to take out a $50M loan.

Man, I feel kinda sad for their owner. And now they're saddled with some pretty bad long term contracts: (Machado, Darvish, Bogaerts, Cronenworth)

Yeah, they're going to have to trade Soto. Forget chasing Ohtani, that's a pipe dream.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Report: Padres Took Out $50M Loan To Help Cover Payroll

The San Diego Padres took out a $50 million loan in September to help cover short-term expenses, including player payroll, according to a report.

The club opened the 2023 season with a franchise-record $248.9 million payroll.

San Diego's payroll was as low as $97.2 million in 2019.

Earlier this month, it was reported the Padres plan to lower payroll into the $200 million range next season.

Yup.

It never made sense to me how a team could go from a small market team (in terms of spending) to a top 3 spending team.

Now we know. It wasn't sustainable, no matter how rich their owner is. They still needed to take out a $50M loan.

Man, I feel kinda sad for their owner. And now they're saddled with some pretty bad long term contracts: (Machado, Darvish, Bogaerts, Cronenworth)

Yeah, they're going to have to trade Soto. Forget chasing Ohtani, that's a pipe dream.

They’re waiting to get like $100m from their TV contract, which is backed up due to a bankruptcy.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:

Quote:
NEW YORK -- American League MVP Aaron Judge and the New York Yankees on Tuesday finalized their $360 million, nine-year contract, the third-largest deal in baseball history.

Dec 20, 2022

Quote:
The Philadelphia Phillies have landed a coveted star shortstop. The Phillies and two-time All-Star Trea Turner have agreed to an 11-year contract worth $300 million, reports ESPN.

Dec 5, 2022

Quote:
In the biggest splash of the off-season so far, deGrom signed a five-year, $185 million deal with the Texas Rangers on Friday, leaving the only club he had ever played for, in a city that never quite seemed to fit him.

Dec 5, 2022

Quote:
Xander Bogaerts signs 11-year deal with Padres; deal pays $280M, sources confirm

Dec 8, 2022

Free Agency technically begins around 5 days after the World Series concludes, but as LBP has shared, a lot of the dominoes (particularly the big ones) don't really fall until around or after the December winter meetings.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

So depressing. Let’s get to work building another another 100 win reg season team.

Sigh…..

Its depressing. We get excited every year with wins after wins and then the big disappoint. I'm over winning it all. Next year if we just win the NLDS I'll be happy.

Only thing that can take this year's disappoint out is getting Ohtani.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers agreed to terms with infielder Max Muncy on a two-year contract through the 2025 season for $24 million. The deal includes a $10 million club option for 2026.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers agreed to terms with infielder Max Muncy on a two-year contract through the 2025 season for $24 million. The deal includes a $10 million club option for 2026.

I could have sworn we gave him the same deal last 2 years or something.

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers
@Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to terms with IF Max Muncy on a one-year contract extension for $13.5 million for the 2023 season with a club option for the 2024 season for $10 million with incentives.

Aug 22, 2022

Quote:
The deal also contains a club option for 2024 worth $10 million. Muncy can increase the option to $14 million through incentive clauses based on plate appearances, according to Ronald Blum of The Associated Press.

Aug 22, 2022

So maybe that club option increased to $14M so we decided to give him a 2 yr $24M deal instead with another club option for 2026.

Quote:
Quote:
"This place means everything to me and my family. There's not anywhere else that I'd rather play," he told reporters, according to Sarah Wexler of MLB.com. "A chance to come back for another year was a no-brainer. I hope that there's more after that, but I try not to look too far ahead."

Muncy was in the final guaranteed season of a three-year, $26-million contract. The Dodgers held a $13-million club option as part of his old deal, which the club essentially picked up once he agreed to the extension.

Aug 22, 2022
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject:

^

Yeah, here's a timeline of Muncy's recent deals with the Dodgers:

Quote:
2020:

He had 3 arbitration years left. We bought out all 3 yrs for $26M plus, we get a club option for 2023 at $13M, buying out his 1st yr of free agency.

So:

2020: 1st arbitration year
2021: 2nd arbitration year
2022: 3rd arbitration year
2023: 1st free agency yr ($13M club option)

Quote:
2022:

We get to 2022, last yr. He's in the last yr of that deal. We have a club option for $13M and Muncy's struggling badly. We agree to pick up that club option plus we give him an extra $500k. In exchange, we get another club option for 2024 for $10M (which can increase based on incentives)

Quote:
2023 (today):

I think we were ready to pick up that club option. It was going to be $10M or more (possibly $14M based on plate appearances.

Instead, Muncy agrees to a new 2 yr deal for $24M plus gives us another club option in 2026 for $10M.

Quote:
So the total comes out to be:

2020: 1st arbitration year (3 yrs $26M)
2021: 2nd arbitration year (3 yrs $26M)
2022: 3rd arbitration year (3 yrs $26M)

2023: 1st free agency yr ($13.5M)

2024: 2nd free agency yr (2 yrs $24M)
2025: 3rd free agency yr (2 yrs $24M)
2026: 4th free agency yr ($10M club option)

Total: 6 yrs $63.5M (plus $10M option for a 7th year

Not bad value at all.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Some guesses at free agent pitching contracts...

https://nypost.com/2023/11/02/sports/breaking-down-top-free-agent-pitchers-projected-contracts/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 311, 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 312 of 314
Jump to: