LeBron James: Countdown to the NBA Scoring Record (36 POINTS NEEDED vs OKC TUESDAY)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 3977
Location: The official trout slapper of LG.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: LeBron James: Countdown to the NBA Scoring Record (36 POINTS NEEDED vs OKC TUESDAY)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's current record: 38,387
LeBron James current total: 38,352

As of 1/8/23, LeBron is sitting at 37,965. He is 423 points away from the record. Figuring his current season average is 29.1 points per game, he is on pace to breaking the record in 15 games. If he plays in all of the games here on out that would put him on track to taking the title on February 7, just 2 days away from the trade deadline.

Let's celebrate this accomplishment! Kareem has held on to this title for 34 years! I doubt anyone will break LeBron's record once he sets it as he is primed to maybe surpass 40,000! I am so happy that he gets to set this record as a Laker as this is certainly one of the rare accomplishments that get referred to often every year by many outlets. Let these names be continuously connected to Laker lore!

---------------------
UPDATES

1/9 vs Denver: DNP. Points needed: 423
1/12 vs Dallas: 24 points. Points needed: 399
1/15 vs Philly: 35 points. Points needed: 364
1/16 vs Houston: 48 points. Points needed: 316
1/18 vs Sacramento: 32 points. Points needed: 284
1/20 vs Memphis: 23 points. Points needed: 261
1/22 vs Portland: 37 points. Points needed: 224
1/24 vs San Diego Clippers: 46 points. Points needed: 178
1/25 vs San Antonio: 20 points. Points needed: 158
1/28 vs Boston: 41 points. Points needed: 117
1/30 vs Brooklyn: DNP
1/31 vs New York: 28 points. Points needed: 89
2/2 vs Indiana: 26 points. Points needed: 63
2/4 vs New Orleans: 27 points. Points needed: 36
2/7 vs OKC:
2/9 vs Milwaukee: (On pace to break the record here)
2/11 vs Golden State:
2/13 vs Portland:
2/15 vs New Orleans:

2/18 - ALL STAR BREAK
_________________
Don't make me give you a trout slap!


Last edited by Big Game James on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:51 am; edited 15 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 8918

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sweet indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 16896

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Lebron’s personal records will be almost impossible for anyone to catch. 20 years, relatively injury free. Long peak.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 90132
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject:

Bron is going to be tough to catch. The closest guys are way back and too old, and the young guys are looking at having to keep at their peak for another 17-18 years, and that’s just to catch him now. He could add significantly to that number over the next couple of years, and even beyond. And to consider he did a lot of this in a much lower scoring period is even more impressive.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 3606

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject:

What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 90132
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 3606

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 9979

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject:

What makes it really nice is that he's lead the team to wins in 4 of last 5 games. Can you imagine if he could lead the Lakers to a championship this season? It would be one of the most incredible sport accomplishments ever!

MJ's career fg%: 49.7
Lebron's career fg%: 50.5

They're both efficient but Lebron is more efficient. They're definitely not the type to ball hog and chuck up low percentage shots.
_________________
LeGoat!


Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 90132
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


Fair enough, but the record isn’t going to have an asterisk. It is what it is.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jan 2003
Posts: 3977
Location: The official trout slapper of LG.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject:

DNP against Denver (1/9) due to "ankle soreness." I wonder how much those tickets are going for around the time he'll be breaking this record?
_________________
Don't make me give you a trout slap!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35658

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


Sure, it's very possible Kareem could have added on another 8,000 points or more to the record if he had come straight from high school.

It's also possible that Jordan could have broken the record if he hadn't played baseball and hadn't ended his career after the second three-peat.

But that's all coulda shoulda woulda stuff that didn't actually happen. And the woulda couldas can also go the other way. Maybe if Kareem plays an era of higher salaries, he doesn't need the money at the end, he retires earlier, and his total is actually smaller.

Ultimately, reality is reality. Conjecture is just conjecture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 10355
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


I disagree a bit on the college thing being a disadvantage.
Both players played 20 years in the NBA.
Lebron had more peak years of scoring while Kareem dropped off.
That’s really it…
Oh, and when it’s said and done, Lebron will likely end up 3rd or 4th in assists too. Unheard of for a “scorer”
He has his haters, no doubt, but will go down as one of the greatest to ever play in any sport, let alone the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject:

Another dude woulda been Melo, had he not get blackballed, he'd join the 30k club passing Shaq already, crazy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35658

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Another dude woulda been Melo, had he not get blackballed, he'd join the 30k club passing Shaq already, crazy


Carmelo has 28,289 career points. The last three years he averaged about 900 points a year. So he's still a couple of seasons away from the 30k club.

The idea that Carmelo is being "blackballed" is a weird one. People were saying that in 2019 when he played in Houston. Since then he played with three years with two teams. And now you still think he's being "blackballed' just because no one wants a soon-to-be-39-year-old gunner. Just odd to me. Never heard an explanation from anyone why teams would "blackball" Carmelo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 3606

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


I disagree a bit on the college thing being a disadvantage.
Both players played 20 years in the NBA.
Lebron had more peak years of scoring while Kareem dropped off.
That’s really it…
Oh, and when it’s said and done, Lebron will likely end up 3rd or 4th in assists too. Unheard of for a “scorer”
He has his haters, no doubt, but will go down as one of the greatest to ever play in any sport, let alone the NBA.


Kareem averaged 27 points in the Western Conference finals playing against Houston's Twin Towers (Hakeem and Sampson) at the age of 39.

He averaged 22 points in the Finals at the age of 40 including 32 in the clinching game six versus Parish, McHale, and Bird.

When LBJ does the same for us at 39 and 40, then maybe you talk about Kareem's drop off.

If Kareem wanted to pad stats on a lousy team he could have easily scored 30 a game at 40 as could Wilt.

Let us see LBJ lead us to a Western Conference Final and another title at 39 and 40 before you declare him better than Kareem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 1757

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject:

LeBron was destined to get this record (and I believe he'll hold onto it for a long time), but I truly believe that Kobe was on his way to holding the scoring record for a brief period (which would have meant a lot to him).

He finished Year 17 at 31,617 before he tore his Achilles. As we know, he comes back a mere 6-7 months later, breaks his kneecap 6 games into the season, and ends up playing a mere 107 games over three seasons to finish his career and scores 2,026 points in the process.

In the prior three years, Kobe scored 5,827 points (which included a shortened lockout season). Without the Achilles tear, I think Kobe could've broke KAJ's record by 2015-2016, or would have played at least one additional season to break it.

All that being said, it'll be fun to watch history being made, likely in less than a month!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 10355
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


I disagree a bit on the college thing being a disadvantage.
Both players played 20 years in the NBA.
Lebron had more peak years of scoring while Kareem dropped off.
That’s really it…
Oh, and when it’s said and done, Lebron will likely end up 3rd or 4th in assists too. Unheard of for a “scorer”
He has his haters, no doubt, but will go down as one of the greatest to ever play in any sport, let alone the NBA.


Kareem averaged 27 points in the Western Conference finals playing against Houston's Twin Towers (Hakeem and Sampson) at the age of 39.

He averaged 22 points in the Finals at the age of 40 including 32 in the clinching game six versus Parish, McHale, and Bird.

When LBJ does the same for us at 39 and 40, then maybe you talk about Kareem's drop off.

If Kareem wanted to pad stats on a lousy team he could have easily scored 30 a game at 40 as could Wilt.

Let us see LBJ lead us to a Western Conference Final and another title at 39 and 40 before you declare him better than Kareem.


To clarify, I am a Kareem guy. I wasn't trying to debate his production, just saying the college things doesn't matter all that much, in my opinion, since they both played 20 years. I got to see Magic and Kareem play so I will always be in the camp of that being the best team in history.
Kareem and Magic are always going to be on the Mt. Rushmore of greatest players ever with Jordan and whoever is the 4th player, be it Lebron or someone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35658

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
What LBJ will do is obviously great but Kareem couldn't play in the NBA for the first four years.

Considering he scored 10k points his first four years in Milwaukee... even if you factor in an adjustment period, that's at least another 8k points.

Huge advantage for LBJ to have those years.

I mean it's possible LBJ will play another four years, but in my mind Kareem's still the best scorer unless LBJ goes another 8 to 10k.


Best is a subjective assessment thing. The reality is that the career point record belongs to the guy with the highest total. If you want to allow other factors, there are better pure scorers than either.


I think Wilt could have also been in the mix if he didn't play for Kansas or the Globetrotters or go play beach volleyball.

LBJ obviously could have scored more if he had focused more on pure scoring like Jordan or Kobe than being a playmaker.

But the Kareem college thing is a huge disadvantage so that's how I view it for the time being.


I disagree a bit on the college thing being a disadvantage.
Both players played 20 years in the NBA.
Lebron had more peak years of scoring while Kareem dropped off.
That’s really it…
Oh, and when it’s said and done, Lebron will likely end up 3rd or 4th in assists too. Unheard of for a “scorer”
He has his haters, no doubt, but will go down as one of the greatest to ever play in any sport, let alone the NBA.


Kareem averaged 27 points in the Western Conference finals playing against Houston's Twin Towers (Hakeem and Sampson) at the age of 39.

He averaged 22 points in the Finals at the age of 40 including 32 in the clinching game six versus Parish, McHale, and Bird.

When LBJ does the same for us at 39 and 40, then maybe you talk about Kareem's drop off.

If Kareem wanted to pad stats on a lousy team he could have easily scored 30 a game at 40 as could Wilt.

Let us see LBJ lead us to a Western Conference Final and another title at 39 and 40 before you declare him better than Kareem.


Your overstating things. Kareem was in significant decline by age 40. He was averaging 28.9 minutes a game and 14.6 ppg. I cannot imagine any circumstances where he could have averaged 30 ppg. at that point.

That said, Kareem was an amazing player, who played at a high level until an advanced age.

Through most of his career, he had better teammates than Lebron, and he didn't need to score as much. (I don't think Lebron has ever stat-padded myself but I don't want to get into that argument.)

I do think if Kareem had been able to play at age 18, he could have had a career total of 47,000 points. We'll never know, of course, and things could have happened.

For me, it's not a Lebron is better or worse than Kareem moment. I think you can make a defensible case for either as GOAT. As Lakers fans, we are lucky that we have had so many GOAT-level players wearing the uniform:

Mikan, West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Kobe and Lebron.

No need to tear any of them down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 3606

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject:

LeBron scored 8,439 points his first four years

Kareem scored 5,125 points his last four years.

Let's see how much LBJ scores from age 38 to 42

To say LBJ's 20 years is the same as Kareem's 20 years is not fair because four years of Kareem's prime was spent at UCLA.

If you subtract LBJ's first four years and compare it to what he produces over the next four years then that would be a more apt comparison, especially if he is competing for titles.

Watching him this year... I'm not putting it past him to exceed Kareem.

But decline happens suddenly so we don't know.

All I was saying is that Kareem lost four good years... and Jordan lost almost eight years with his two retirements and three years of college.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35658

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
LeBron scored 8,439 points his first four years

Kareem scored 5,125 points his last four years.

Let's see how much LBJ scores from age 38 to 42

To say LBJ's 20 years is the same as Kareem's 20 years is not fair because four years of Kareem's prime was spent at UCLA.

If you subtract LBJ's first four years and compare it to what he produces over the next four years then that would be a more apt comparison, especially if he is competing for titles.

Watching him this year... I'm not putting it past him to exceed Kareem.

But decline happens suddenly so we don't know.

All I was saying is that Kareem lost four good years... and Jordan lost almost eight years with his two retirements and three years of college.


The "each had 20 years" thing is certainly apples to oranges, given that Kareem missed out on four prime scoring years.

My take on this is pretty simple: When Lebron breaks the record it will be a massive achievement.

Kareem and MJ could have had many more points under different circumstances, but that wasn't what happened, and such is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 3606

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
LeBron scored 8,439 points his first four years

Kareem scored 5,125 points his last four years.

Let's see how much LBJ scores from age 38 to 42

To say LBJ's 20 years is the same as Kareem's 20 years is not fair because four years of Kareem's prime was spent at UCLA.

If you subtract LBJ's first four years and compare it to what he produces over the next four years then that would be a more apt comparison, especially if he is competing for titles.

Watching him this year... I'm not putting it past him to exceed Kareem.

But decline happens suddenly so we don't know.

All I was saying is that Kareem lost four good years... and Jordan lost almost eight years with his two retirements and three years of college.


The "each had 20 years" thing is certainly apples to oranges, given that Kareem missed out on four prime scoring years.

My take on this is pretty simple: When Lebron breaks the record it will be a massive achievement.

Kareem and MJ could have had many more points under different circumstances, but that wasn't what happened, and such is life.


This board wouldn't be very interesting if everyone just said, wow LBJ is the greatest.

I'm not debating he is going to be the all time scoring champion.

I'm not debating he's one of the best ever.

I'm annoyed that he meddled with my team so yeah I'm going to be petty here and there, especially when comparing him to a UCLA star and longtime Laker who I loved.

If we were in the mix for the title every year and still trending that way as we were during Kareem's era... then I'd be much more excited to see him break his record.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35658

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
LeBron scored 8,439 points his first four years

Kareem scored 5,125 points his last four years.

Let's see how much LBJ scores from age 38 to 42

To say LBJ's 20 years is the same as Kareem's 20 years is not fair because four years of Kareem's prime was spent at UCLA.

If you subtract LBJ's first four years and compare it to what he produces over the next four years then that would be a more apt comparison, especially if he is competing for titles.

Watching him this year... I'm not putting it past him to exceed Kareem.

But decline happens suddenly so we don't know.

All I was saying is that Kareem lost four good years... and Jordan lost almost eight years with his two retirements and three years of college.


The "each had 20 years" thing is certainly apples to oranges, given that Kareem missed out on four prime scoring years.

My take on this is pretty simple: When Lebron breaks the record it will be a massive achievement.

Kareem and MJ could have had many more points under different circumstances, but that wasn't what happened, and such is life.


This board wouldn't be very interesting if everyone just said, wow LBJ is the greatest.

I'm not debating he is going to be the all time scoring champion.

I'm not debating he's one of the best ever.

I'm annoyed that he meddled with my team so yeah I'm going to be petty here and there, especially when comparing him to a UCLA star and longtime Laker who I loved.

If we were in the mix for the title every year and still trending that way as we were during Kareem's era... then I'd be much more excited to see him break his record.



I understand your position.

Personally, I am not all that excited about the record. It's a great achievement, but it's been so long in the making it's like watching a slow train rumble down the tracks.

It will be fun to see the video of the record-breaking shot. Other than that, I don't really care. I won't tune in to watch a game just to see him break the record live if I have something better to do.

I am not sure why we have this "rah-rah for Lebron" thread stating what we all already know, and I am not surprised it's gotten so little attention because there isn't much to discuss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 8918

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is so radioactive on this forum that in order to celebrate something one must simultaneously express their indifference. Too funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 29775

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Personally, I am not all that excited about the record. It's a great achievement, but it's been so long in the making it's like watching a slow train rumble down the tracks.

It will be fun to see the video of the record-breaking shot. Other than that, I don't really care. I won't tune in to watch a game just to see him break the record live if I have something better to do.


I am marginally more interested than you. I never really thought anyone would break the record during my lifetime. It will be cool when it happens. I might tune into a game just to see it happen. But that's about it.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 22989

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
LeBron scored 8,439 points his first four years

Kareem scored 5,125 points his last four years.

Let's see how much LBJ scores from age 38 to 42

To say LBJ's 20 years is the same as Kareem's 20 years is not fair because four years of Kareem's prime was spent at UCLA.

If you subtract LBJ's first four years and compare it to what he produces over the next four years then that would be a more apt comparison, especially if he is competing for titles.

Watching him this year... I'm not putting it past him to exceed Kareem.

But decline happens suddenly so we don't know.

All I was saying is that Kareem lost four good years... and Jordan lost almost eight years with his two retirements and three years of college.


The "each had 20 years" thing is certainly apples to oranges, given that Kareem missed out on four prime scoring years.

My take on this is pretty simple: When Lebron breaks the record it will be a massive achievement.

Kareem and MJ could have had many more points under different circumstances, but that wasn't what happened, and such is life.


This board wouldn't be very interesting if everyone just said, wow LBJ is the greatest.

I'm not debating he is going to be the all time scoring champion.

I'm not debating he's one of the best ever.

I'm annoyed that he meddled with my team so yeah I'm going to be petty here and there, especially when comparing him to a UCLA star and longtime Laker who I loved.

If we were in the mix for the title every year and still trending that way as we were during Kareem's era... then I'd be much more excited to see him break his record.


Ain't it on AD now, like it was on Magic, since Bron is old like Kareem was
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB