LeBron James: Countdown to the NBA Scoring Record (CONGRATULATIONS! RECORD BROKEN!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Lebron is so radioactive on this forum that in order to celebrate something one must simultaneously express their indifference. Too funny.

Yeah I have a very uncomplicated feeling of excitement for one of our own to break one of the most monumental records in the game.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Lebron is so radioactive on this forum that in order to celebrate something one must simultaneously express their indifference. Too funny.

You trade away players that fans like and there is a cost for that in terms of fan good will.

All would be forgiven if we won... but when we are struggling, it's hard to get excited.

Remember old Lakers fans grew up watching the success of the 33 game winning streak with West, Goodrich, and Chamberlain

They grew up watching Showtime's five titles

They grew up watching Kobe Shaq and then Kobe Gasol

It's not as fun watching LBJ/AD so far.

If we were in the playoffs every year then you'd see a better attitude.

You love LBJ first so it has a different meaning for you... nothing wrong with that but you shouldn't expect Lakers fans to feel the same as LBJ fans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

You trade away players that fans like and there is a cost for that in terms of fan good will.

All would be forgiven if we won... but when we are struggling, it's hard to get excited.

Remember old Lakers fans grew up watching the success of the 33 game winning streak with West, Goodrich, and Chamberlain

You love LBJ first so it has a different meaning for you... nothing wrong with that but you shouldn't expect Lakers fans to feel the same as LBJ fans.

I've been a Lakers fan dating back to Jerry West playing days, and I enjoyed the Lebron/AD ring team. Sure, they've been derailed by injuries a couple of times but such is life.

I also accept that the Lakers might never again see another team like Showtime (certainly) or even the threepeat. It's a new NBA. I think in this new era sustained success will be rare; it will depend a lot on luck, and one-and-done championships will be commonplace,
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

I've been a Lakers fan dating back to Jerry West playing days, and I enjoyed the Lebron/AD ring team. Sure, they've been derailed by injuries a couple of times but such is life.

I also accept that the Lakers might never again see another team like Showtime (certainly) or even the threepeat. It's a new NBA. I think in this new era sustained success will be rare; it will depend a lot on luck, and one-and-done championships will be commonplace,

I enjoyed the 1988 Dodgers title... even went to one of the games (unfortunately not the one with Gibson's homer) but the team sucked for 30 years.

I enjoyed the bubble title.

I just don't like the way the team is run, and I don't like the way they let a sports agency and a player influence their decisions.

Your mileage may vary
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:

To me it's impressive because, Lebron is about to break the record while still playing at a high borderline MVP level. It would be less impressive if he was doing it by just trying to hang on to what ever career he has left as a mediocre role player.

Each playing 20 years, He will most likely pass Kareem in about 150 games less played. That's almost 2 years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
To me it's impressive because, Lebron is about to break the record while still playing at a high borderline MVP level. It would be less impressive if he was doing it by just trying to hang on to what ever career he has left as a mediocre role player. .

That part is pretty amazing. At the beginning of the season, Lebron looked pretty ragged. Now he's definitely back at an MVP level. Makes me wonder how long he will play.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject:

You mean countdown to championship number 18? LeGoat will lead the Lakers to the promised land...again. LFG!
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

Adding 24 more points with the loss to Dallas on Thursday. Shame it wasn't more with it being double OT game.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject:

It will be impossible to break but if the league keeps changing you never know

https://twitter.com/Kareem_is_it/status/1614253610191167488?s=20&t=8nD1x4miAVQLAsVNQVAwPg
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

https://twitter.com/Kareem_is_it/status/1614253610191167488?s=20&t=8nD1x4miAVQLAsVNQVAwPg

I suspect Lebron's record eventually will be broken.

However, it might be broken by someone who is not yet born.

Will have taken 34 years to break Kareem's record after all.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I don't know if its a joke or not but the mention of a 4pt shot would change history quickly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I don't know if its a joke or not but the mention of a 4pt shot would change history quickly.

I doubt it. I don't think that the league will ever adopt a four-point shot, but if it does, it will be set based on percentages. There was an article a few years back that calculated where it would need to be placed. It seems like it was around 30 feet. It might have been a little closer.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Generally speaking, I’m in favor of rules that make it possible for more styles to have the potential to be competitive. The combined rule changes (elimination of hand checking, allowing zones, charge circle/increase in low post charge calls, low threshold for flagrant fouls), in conjunction with the current distance of the three point line (especially in the corners) have led to too much conformity in style imo. That’s not a longing for the low scoring bloodbaths of the 90’s. Just a desire for some tweaks that rebalance play type efficiency.

Figuring out how to do that is no small task. One simple step would be to eliminate the corner three by dragging the line out of bounds closer to the free throw line. You could still space to the corners, but wouldn’t get the extra point. Essentially it becomes a midrange shot. You could also move the three point line back a modest amount.

By reducing the efficiency of the three, you proportionally increase the value proposition of other play type, though it could admittedly cause a dip in scoring. We’re at a point where games in the 130s isn’t uncommon, so I’d say there’s some room to allow for that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Similar to football I don’t know how much more offensively friendly they can make it
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject:

With 11 points tonight, LeBron becomes the second player in league history with 38,000+ regular season points.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:

As Hunter said, if they adapt a four-point shot, it will be much further out. That will require teams/players to make complex calculations of when such a shot is worthwhile.

I doubt it would increase scoring so dramatically that it would have a material impact on the chances of players getting to 40k. And getting to that many points is still going to be a multi-decade, career-long endeavor that will be derailed more often than not by age and injury.

I don't think you will ever be able to predict who will do it until they are right on the verge of doing it. Even 5 or 6 years ago, there were tons of articles about how unlikely Lebron was to break the record.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Conversely, it wasn’t that long ago when some people here thought Kobe had a shot at breaking the record. It was possible, but everything would have needed to go just right. Of course, it didn’t.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Conversely, it wasn’t that long ago when some people here thought Kobe had a shot at breaking the record. It was possible, but everything would have needed to go just right. Of course, it didn’t.

The margin of error is so small.

The remarkable thing was Karl Malone retiring when he was only 1,400 points away. I don't know if he was too hurt or something.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject:

A HUGE game for LeBron vs the Rockets. 48 points! It looks to me like he is pulling the trigger more now that he is sniffing that achievement.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
A HUGE game for LeBron vs the Rockets. 48 points! It looks to me like he is pulling the trigger more now that he is sniffing that achievement.

Well, to be fair, pretty much all of those 48 points were needed to pull out the win.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Well, to be fair, pretty much all of those 48 points were needed to pull out the win.

It felt very disappointing on a night that LeBron goes for 48 points, we set a new team record with a combined 2 turnovers, we play the worst team in the league and we barely win.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

Man, was hoping to see him break it in NYC but math don’t work lol
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

It felt very disappointing on a night that LeBron goes for 48 points, we set a new team record with a combined 2 turnovers, we play the worst team in the league and we barely win.

We barely lost to one of the best teams last game so you could look at the glass half empty or half full.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Kobe might indeed have a shot if he didn't tore his Achilles. KD only patrial tear it, Kobe was the complete rupture.
it just shows you how many things need to go right for the record to be broken.
1drafted early, plays early
2. sustain peak for 20 years (average 25 per season, not miss a single game gets you 41,000), i think Lebron might retire scoring close to that total.
3. no major injuries.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

February 7th vs OKC or February 9th vs Mil (national TV game) might be the record breaking time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: