A Conspiracy against LBJ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 21617

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I hate conspiracy theories. So dumb.

unfortunately, 30-40% of the country is so into those.


There are conspiracies (a topic for somewhere else lol), but this is not one of them.

I’ll tell you what’s a conspiracy. I’m on record as saying the Rockets will get Victor Wembenyama to resurrect that pretty important market. Just like the Pelicans were gifted Zion after agreeing to let AD go to LA.


Those are certainly conspiracy theories. When challenged to detail how the league can manipulate the draft…. silence.


I told you the Pelicans were getting Zion. You didn’t listen to me clipper guy with NOLA tendencies

No need to know my secret sauce. I’m telling you Rockets getting Victor.
_________________
2 star model does not work if your stars are not available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 21557

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Didn’t they just announce that they were going to be nationally televising the games leading up to him passing KAJ?

Nothing makes more financial sense for the league than the Lakers winning. Any conspiracy theory centered around the Lakers losing would be pure self-sabotage.


Referees and their union get paid the same no matter who wins.


So in this conspiracy theory, it is some outside person or organization who would be paying the refs off to try to protect someone else’s legacy?

If they’re taking money on the side to make the league less successful, they’d risk losing their jobs and getting significant jail time.


Where did I say any of that? Are you confusing me with someone else?

Did you see the Untold documentary on Netflix? Donoghy was able to pick games with amazing accuracy, while being graded one of the top 5% of officials in the NBA. The officials hold grudges against players and franchises and it affects the way they call games. Donoghy knew the history and tendencies of some of these officials to call games differently depending on the players or teams involved. He managed to make people a lot of money by knowing how officials call games consistently inconsistent against those unliked players and teams. There may be reasons why the officials do not like the Lakers as an organization, and they stick together because they are like a little gang.


No, I responded to the OP that the Lakers winning is best for the league financially and you pointed out the refs and ref union being paid the same no matter who wins. That suggests an outside force would be the one behind it.

If any official or group of officials had a tendency to err against the Lakers, I’m pretty confident that they’d be dealt with immediately.

Most of the Donaghy stuff was about knowing the biases officials had and making educated guesses about which team would see an advantage. He also suggested that refs would err on the side of adding additional games to a series or having the popular team win because it was good for the league. None of that would jive with conspiring against the leagues most popular team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 14457
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Thanks for letting us know.





_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


Did you see the Untold documentary on Netflix? Donoghy was able to pick games with amazing accuracy, while being graded one of the top 5% of officials in the NBA. The officials hold grudges against players and franchises and it effects the way they call games. Donoghy knew the history and tendencies of some of these officials to call games differently depending on the players or teams involved. He managed to make people a lot of money by knowing how officials call games consistently inconsistent against those unliked players and teams. There may be reasons why the officials do not like the Lakers as an organization, and they stick together because they are like a little gang.


I don't know anything about the Netflix documentary. However, there have been a number of analysis that concluded Donoghy's claims that he could pick games based on knowing the tendencies of other refs was BS.

The reports I've seen showed that Donoghy might have influenced the betting lines in games he refereed, by making bad calls to affect the outcome, but his betting wasn't particularly successful in games he didn't call.

That resonates with me. It's possible that certain referees might have certain tendencies in how they call games. But so many gamblers and casinos study this stuff and run all the data through so many algorithms to identify patterns, it seems far-fetched that Donoghy would have knowledge that would give him a significant edge over everyone else just because he was a former referee.

My BS meter goes off like a fire engine on that claim.

Do you remember what the Netflix documentary said exactly? (I am not going to look at the documentary myself, because I concluded Donoghy's claims were BS a long time ago, and it would need to hear something truly compelling about the documentary's content for me to spend time on it.)


Last edited by activeverb on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Contact Oliver Stone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I hate conspiracy theories. So dumb.

unfortunately, 30-40% of the country is so into those.


There are conspiracies (a topic for somewhere else lol), but this is not one of them.

I’ll tell you what’s a conspiracy. I’m on record as saying the Rockets will get Victor Wembenyama to resurrect that pretty important market. Just like the Pelicans were gifted Zion after agreeing to let AD go to LA.


Those are certainly conspiracy theories. When challenged to detail how the league can manipulate the draft…. silence.


I told you the Pelicans were getting Zion. You didn’t listen to me clipper guy with NOLA tendencies

No need to know my secret sauce. I’m telling you Rockets getting Victor.


The Spurs will get Victor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 21617

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I hate conspiracy theories. So dumb.

unfortunately, 30-40% of the country is so into those.


There are conspiracies (a topic for somewhere else lol), but this is not one of them.

I’ll tell you what’s a conspiracy. I’m on record as saying the Rockets will get Victor Wembenyama to resurrect that pretty important market. Just like the Pelicans were gifted Zion after agreeing to let AD go to LA.


Those are certainly conspiracy theories. When challenged to detail how the league can manipulate the draft…. silence.


I told you the Pelicans were getting Zion. You didn’t listen to me clipper guy with NOLA tendencies

No need to know my secret sauce. I’m telling you Rockets getting Victor.


The Spurs will get Victor.


I’ll make a friendly wager on that

The league needs Houston to be better before it concerns itself with spurs land. I believe Houston is like the 4th biggest market.

If AD just kept his mouth shut, the Knicks would have received Zion. Knicks fans must hate AD/Klutch
_________________
2 star model does not work if your stars are not available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
zambia
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Oct 2007
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
zambia wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I hate conspiracy theories. So dumb.

unfortunately, 30-40% of the country is so into those.


There are conspiracies (a topic for somewhere else lol), but this is not one of them.

I’ll tell you what’s a conspiracy. I’m on record as saying the Rockets will get Victor Wembenyama to resurrect that pretty important market. Just like the Pelicans were gifted Zion after agreeing to let AD go to LA.


Those are certainly conspiracy theories. When challenged to detail how the league can manipulate the draft…. silence.


I told you the Pelicans were getting Zion. You didn’t listen to me clipper guy with NOLA tendencies

No need to know my secret sauce. I’m telling you Rockets getting Victor.


The Spurs will get Victor.


I’ll make a friendly wager on that

The league needs Houston to be better before it concerns itself with spurs land. I believe Houston is like the 4th biggest market.

If AD just kept his mouth shut, the Knicks would have received Zion. Knicks fans must hate AD/Klutch


The league gave the Rockets Sampson and Hakeem. The Spurs were gifted David Robinson and Duncan. I’ll take the friendly wager.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


Did you see the Untold documentary on Netflix? Donoghy was able to pick games with amazing accuracy, while being graded one of the top 5% of officials in the NBA. The officials hold grudges against players and franchises and it effects the way they call games. Donoghy knew the history and tendencies of some of these officials to call games differently depending on the players or teams involved. He managed to make people a lot of money by knowing how officials call games consistently inconsistent against those unliked players and teams. There may be reasons why the officials do not like the Lakers as an organization, and they stick together because they are like a little gang.


I don't know anything about the Netflix documentary. However, there have been a number of analysis that concluded Donoghy's claims that he could pick games based on knowing the tendencies of other refs was BS.

The reports I've seen showed that Donoghy might have influenced the betting lines in games he refereed, by making bad calls to affect the outcome, but his betting wasn't particularly successful in games he didn't call.

That resonates with me. It's possible that certain referees might have certain tendencies in how they call games. But so many gamblers and casinos study this stuff and run all the data through so many algorithms to identify patterns, it seems far-fetched that Donoghy would have knowledge that would give him a significant edge over everyone else just because he was a former referee.

My BS meter goes off like a fire engine on that claim.

Do you remember what the Netflix documentary said exactly? (I am not going to look at the documentary myself, because I concluded Donoghy's claims were BS a long time ago, and it would need to hear something truly compelling about the documentary's content for me to spend time on it.)


It’s a pretty good documentary. I would suggest watching it. The NBA refs are all graded and Tim graded as one of the best. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?

Tim went to high school with a guy who was the middle man between him and the “mob” and his call log had hundreds of calls to him before and after games. Tim also had over 100 calls to Scott Foster before and after games in that same stretch. Foster, Tim and that middle man are from the same home town and went to the same high school. Tim made only 13 calls to other officials in the same time frame where he made 130ish calls to foster.
I haven’t seen the analysis of Tim’s picks not being very successful in games he didn’t officiate. Where is that information available?

I’m not saying there is definitely a conspiracy, but the refs are human and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that a small group of officials have a grudge against the Lakers as an organization, or their players, which effects their officiating on a natural human emotional level. I’ve been a human for nearly 40 years and I know that sometimes emotions effect our decision making, and sometimes we regret the decisions we made afterwards, but we move on. To suggest that refs are magically a completely neutral and fair group of humans is the least likely reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 41252
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Your last thread was that “Phil Jackson is sabotaging LBJ from getting another championship” thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 29785

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
It’s a pretty good documentary. I would suggest watching it. The NBA refs are all graded and Tim graded as one of the best. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


I heard about the documentary when it came out. If I recall correctly, it consisted of Donaghy repeating the same old claims that he made back in the day. If that's the case, you should take it all with a grain of salt. I think that this is the first time I've heard anyone say that Donaghy graded out as one of the best referees. I do know that the NBA significantly upgraded its grading of officials after the Donaghy scandal.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Tim went to high school with a guy who was the middle man between him and the “mob” and his call log had hundreds of calls to him before and after games. Tim also had over 100 calls to Scott Foster before and after games in that same stretch. Foster, Tim and that middle man are from the same home town and went to the same high school. Tim made only 13 calls to other officials in the same time frame where he made 130ish calls to foster.


All this stuff got addressed back in the day. Donaghy spewed all sorts of stuff about other officials, but he never claimed that Scott Foster was involved in anything improper. He was trying to cut a plea deal with the feds. If he could have fed Scott Foster to them, he would have. He did claim that Game 6 of the Kings series was fixed, even though he had no involvement with the game.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I haven’t seen the analysis of Tim’s picks not being very successful in games he didn’t officiate. Where is that information available?


I remember one article on ESPN, and I think it was about five years ago. You can probably find it with Google. I remember that they actually went back and watched the games that he bet on when he was one of the referees. There were other people who did analyses, too.

Later on, he tried to market himself as a betting guru on the internet. I think that was pretty much of a bomb.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
To suggest that refs are magically a completely neutral and fair group of humans is the least likely reality.


That's just a straw man argument. In all sports, referees are affected by the same things that affect everyone else. Referees lose their cool just like everyone else. In fact, players and coaches spend a lot of time in every game trying to manipulate the referees. Okay, but so what? Fans want to believe that the referees are out to get their favorite team and their favorite player. What they don't realize is that every fan of every team and every player thinks this.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


It’s a pretty good documentary. I would suggest watching it. The NBA refs are all graded and Tim graded as one of the best. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?

Tim went to high school with a guy who was the middle man between him and the “mob” and his call log had hundreds of calls to him before and after games. Tim also had over 100 calls to Scott Foster before and after games in that same stretch. Foster, Tim and that middle man are from the same home town and went to the same high school. Tim made only 13 calls to other officials in the same time frame where he made 130ish calls to foster.
I haven’t seen the analysis of Tim’s picks not being very successful in games he didn’t officiate. Where is that information available?


There have been a number of big articles by some of the leading sports publications. I forget which offhand. A professor of criminal justice at The Citadel, Sean Patrick Griffin wrote a book about this and has a website dedicated to the scandal. He examined the FBI documents and disputed a lot of Donaghty.

I pretty much lost interest in this saga a few years ago when it became obvious that Donaghty was just a pathological liar.


dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


I’m not saying there is definitely a conspiracy, but the refs are human and I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that a small group of officials have a grudge against the Lakers as an organization, or their players, which effects their officiating on a natural human emotional level. I’ve been a human for nearly 40 years and I know that sometimes emotions effect our decision making, and sometimes we regret the decisions we made afterwards, but we move on. To suggest that refs are magically a completely neutral and fair group of humans is the least likely reality.


Oh, fans in every sport have always thought the referees, officials, and umpires were being too hard on their team and too easy on the other team. In fact, this is such a cliche that one of those news satire websites did an article headlined: "New Study Proves Referees Are Totally Biased Against Your Team."

But, sure, referees are human beings. There was once (a real) study that suggested referees have a bias for home teams, perhaps because they feel the pressure and excitement of the home court crowd. A slight bias based on stuff like that wouldn't shock me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
It’s a pretty good documentary. I would suggest watching it. The NBA refs are all graded and Tim graded as one of the best. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


I heard about the documentary when it came out. If I recall correctly, it consisted of Donaghy repeating the same old claims that he made back in the day. If that's the case, you should take it all with a grain of salt. I think that this is the first time I've heard anyone say that Donaghy graded out as one of the best referees. I do know that the NBA significantly upgraded its grading of officials after the Donaghy scandal.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Tim went to high school with a guy who was the middle man between him and the “mob” and his call log had hundreds of calls to him before and after games. Tim also had over 100 calls to Scott Foster before and after games in that same stretch. Foster, Tim and that middle man are from the same home town and went to the same high school. Tim made only 13 calls to other officials in the same time frame where he made 130ish calls to foster.


All this stuff got addressed back in the day. Donaghy spewed all sorts of stuff about other officials, but he never claimed that Scott Foster was involved in anything improper. He was trying to cut a plea deal with the feds. If he could have fed Scott Foster to them, he would have. He did claim that Game 6 of the Kings series was fixed, even though he had no involvement with the game.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I haven’t seen the analysis of Tim’s picks not being very successful in games he didn’t officiate. Where is that information available?


I remember one article on ESPN, and I think it was about five years ago. You can probably find it with Google. I remember that they actually went back and watched the games that he bet on when he was one of the referees. There were other people who did analyses, too.

Later on, he tried to market himself as a betting guru on the internet. I think that was pretty much of a bomb.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
To suggest that refs are magically a completely neutral and fair group of humans is the least likely reality.


That's just a straw man argument. In all sports, referees are affected by the same things that affect everyone else. Referees lose their cool just like everyone else. In fact, players and coaches spend a lot of time in every game trying to manipulate the referees. Okay, but so what? Fans want to believe that the referees are out to get their favorite team and their favorite player. What they don't realize is that every fan of every team and every player thinks this.


If you want to make claims about the documentary without having ever seen it, that’s your prerogative. I empower you to do so. I haven’t seen anything about the NBA upgrading the grades of officials, and even if they did, wouldn’t all of them be upgraded equally? How was Donoghue graded so highly if he was blowing calls at a higher rate?

If you think you understand Tim’s motives I won’t argue with you. But other might argue that some criminals don’t throw others under the bus. I don’t see it as a certainty that Donoghy would throw others under the bus. What makes you so confident that he would?

Sure every fan of every player thinks that refs are against them, but to use that as a claim that all games are called equally is not a logically sound argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


Do you remember who in the documentary said that Tim Donaghy graded out highly? Or was this just said as part of the narration with no attribution of where the information came from?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


Do you remember who in the documentary said that Tim Donaghy graded out highly? Or was this just said as part of the narration with no attribution of where the information came from?


Well why don't you tell me, where did Tim Donoghy grade out those years? It was part of the evidence in his court case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


Do you remember who in the documentary said that Tim Donaghy graded out highly? Or was this just said as part of the narration with no attribution of where the information came from?


Well why don't you tell me, where did Tim Donoghy grade out those years? It was part of the evidence in his court case.


I don't know. I don't remember ever hearing anything about how Donoghy graded out as a referee. However, the trial was about 15 years ago, so it's possible I heard about it at some point and forgot. I did a quick google just for the heck of it. I didn't find anything about how he graded out as a ref. If there is some substantiation, I would be interested in seeing, but I am not so interested as to want to spend anymore time looking for it myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
. If he was making bad calls to increase his pick accuracy, and still grading out so highly, what was going on with the other officials?


Do you remember who in the documentary said that Tim Donaghy graded out highly? Or was this just said as part of the narration with no attribution of where the information came from?


Well why don't you tell me, where did Tim Donoghy grade out those years? It was part of the evidence in his court case.


I don't know. I don't remember ever hearing anything about how Donoghy graded out as a referee. However, the trial was about 15 years ago, so it's possible I heard about it at some point and forgot. I did a quick google just for the heck of it. I didn't find anything about how he graded out as a ref. If there is some substantiation, I would be interested in seeing, but I am not so interested as to want to spend anymore time looking for it myself.


Well that was his argument in court. He was accused of making bad calls and his defense was, how could he be making bad calls and grade out so highly. Eventually they got him to admit he subconsciously made bad calls because he had a personal interest in it.

If he graded out poorly, shouldnt there be some information available on google searches in the same way you are claiming there should be available inforamtion that he graded highly? I have been searching and dont see anything about him grading out poorly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


Well that was his argument in court. He was accused of making bad calls and his defense was, how could he be making bad calls and grade out so highly. Eventually they got him to admit he subconsciously made bad calls because he had a personal interest in it.


That makes no sense. His defense was that he couldn't be making bad calls because he graded out highly -- but then he admitted he was making bad calls. If bad calls would affect his grade, it doesn't matter whether the bad calls were on purpose or subconscious. This just sounds like more BS.

And, more to the point, how do we know he graded out highly as a referee?

Is the claim that Doughty graded out highly as a referee just coming from Doughty? If so, how do we know he isn’t lying? Or did the information come from the official NBA records? Do you recall if that was addressed in the documentary?

I'm not trying to grill you or put you on the spot. If you don't remember what the documentary said about this, I wouldn't be surprised. However, old Tim spent years and years lying to the world, so the cynic in me wonders if just claimed to be a highly rated ref, and the Netflix folks just accepted that at face value without checking it.

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If he graded out poorly, shouldnt there be some information available on google searches in the same way you are claiming there should be available inforamtion that he graded highly? I have been searching and dont see anything about him grading out poorly.



In my quick search, I didn't see anything about how he graded out. So I have no idea if he graded out as above average, average, or below average.

I wouldn't necessarily expect that information to be publically available unless it was presented as information at his trial. I have no idea if it was or wasn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:


Well that was his argument in court. He was accused of making bad calls and his defense was, how could he be making bad calls and grade out so highly. Eventually they got him to admit he subconsciously made bad calls because he had a personal interest in it.


That makes no sense. His defense was that he couldn't be making bad calls because he graded out highly -- but then he admitted he was making bad calls. If bad calls would affect his grade, it doesn't matter whether the bad calls were on purpose or subconscious. This just sounds like more BS.

And, more to the point, how do we know he graded out highly as a referee?

Is the claim that Doughty graded out highly as a referee just coming from Doughty? If so, how do we know he isn’t lying? Or did the information come from the official NBA records? Do you recall if that was addressed in the documentary?

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If he graded out poorly, shouldnt there be some information available on google searches in the same way you are claiming there should be available inforamtion that he graded highly? I have been searching and dont see anything about him grading out poorly.



In my quick search, I didn't see anything about how he graded out. So I have no idea if he graded out as above average, average, or below average.

I wouldn't necessarily expect that information to be publically available unless it was presented as information at his trial. I have no idea if it was or wasn't.


Is there any publicly available information about official grading available on google? I don't see any. you say you have no idea, yet you seem very confident in your opinion? Do you think the documentarians didn't research any of the claims that were made?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 19645

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

According to David Stern, then Commisioner of the NBA:

Quote:
Just days after the New York Post story broke, NBA commissioner David Stern gave his first news conference addressing the Donaghy scandal. "Indeed," Stern told the media, "as a matter of his on-court performance, he's in the top tier of accuracy."


https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 34134
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Darvin Ham and Patrick Beverly are working for the Bucks and Clippers, respectively. It’s the only way to explain.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Theseus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 9976

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Dennis Schroder intercepted the leagues plans and alex jonesed them tonight. Now we're all safe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 13364

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I thought they were going to call a phantom foul at the end tbh
_________________
Kobe.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clw9scopegx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 35672

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
According to David Stern, then Commisioner of the NBA:

Quote:
Just days after the New York Post story broke, NBA commissioner David Stern gave his first news conference addressing the Donaghy scandal. "Indeed," Stern told the media, "as a matter of his on-court performance, he's in the top tier of accuracy."


https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games


If you really care about all this stuff here is a long Twitter thread from the professor I referenced before who did a pretty thorough analysis of the documentary ...

https://twitter.com/spgauthor/status/1570069776575172609

As you'll see, a lot of the claims that were apparently made in the documentary were stuff that were debunked many many years ago
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 29785

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
If you want to make claims about the documentary without having ever seen it, that’s your prerogative. I empower you to do so. I haven’t seen anything about the NBA upgrading the grades of officials, and even if they did, wouldn’t all of them be upgraded equally? How was Donoghue graded so highly if he was blowing calls at a higher rate?

If you think you understand Tim’s motives I won’t argue with you. But other might argue that some criminals don’t throw others under the bus. I don’t see it as a certainty that Donoghy would throw others under the bus. What makes you so confident that he would?

Sure every fan of every player thinks that refs are against them, but to use that as a claim that all games are called equally is not a logically sound argument.


I've seen interviews with Donaghy in the past. He's a failed BS artist. I don't care to hear anything more from him. It seems clear that you're intoxicated by the guy because he is saying things that you want to believe. Now you're just spitting out straw man arguments. "A claim that all games are called equally"? That's just ridiculous. However, you are a True Believer, and I recognize that you can't argue with a True Believer on social media.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB