RUI HACHIMURA (3yr, $51M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
from the player's perspective, let's use the warriors as example, say a hard cap is implemented, they have to get rid of some players, like Wiggins/DG or Klay, and let's say they can get the same salary in a team like the thunder, that takes away the ability of the Thunder to pay another player the same money(maybe a lessor player), so the lessor player would need to take less money or go to other teams who is willing to pay him the same money, as these slots trickle down, there will be less pie for players below, so players will get less money compare to current system.
the players probably don't even want a salary cap let alone luxury tax. the bigger the payroll the more money they get and more players get money.

It may have an effect on individual players for sure. It has no effect on the players as a whole because of the escrow system. We're getting far afield, so I'll just link Larry's explanation of the escrow system:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

There could be a theoretical case in which the escrow is not enough. Except for the Covid years (discussed in Larry's Q17), this hasn't happened.

right, i understand how the escrow system works, but if we are talking about a hard cap here, i don't see how players agree to that.
1. hard cap usually comes with non guaranteed contracts which would be non starter
2. hard cap also restrict a team from spending so good players can lose their bird rights.
3, players might be faced with the decision of taking less to help the team win or make as much money as possible.
https://www.mundodeportivo.com/us/en/20221212/28066/the-nba-and-the-players-disagree-over-the-new-salary-cap-is-there-lockout-in-sight.html
players already opposing hard cap.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Might be a good fit,

at least Lakers are doing something...
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Pidge wrote:
People are genuinely complaining here? Saying that those picks are in the 30s?!

How terminally pessimistic are you to think that about second rounders 5/6 years out?

The whole leauge for the past couple of years have valued those 2nd ROUND PICKS...smh.

Some of you will be on here on draft night complaining why the lakers couldnt just buy a 2nd round pick to get someone who dropped and then complain AGAIN when they do well in summer leauge or in regular season...geez!

They have value, but nowhere near as much as a starter/lottery talent with bird rights.

Assuming they'll be early 2nd rounders is a ridiculous mindset. The plan is to get better, so they won't be. I'm glad that we are not waiting for the second round of the 2029 NBA Draft to try and do so...

You do know we get our best talent in the 2nd round? We prob the only one's who seem unable to pick great in the 1st rnd but come up big in the 2nd for some dumb reason...smh.

Yeah Get better for what? So the King and A...D..Always Damaged can be sitting on the bench? We could have kept Stanely Johnson in my opinion and bring up Huff while Mr Bones is riding the pine with Damon Jones.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Rui will wear #28, putting to rest the rumors that we will retire Alfonso McKinnie’s jersey.

Good point! Though, rumor has it that Rui'll give up #28 when it comes time to retire DJ (DACOS) Mbenga's number
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject:

People feel 3 2nds is an overpay? I don't agree, at all. 2 of the 2nds are picks Lakers acquired; 1 from Chicago and another one from Washington. Not to mention, 2nd round picks are not that valuable. If we really wanted one, we could buy one.

I think the overpaying statement is extremely overreacting. It seems people want players for free, and even when the deal is for less, people will always find ways to criticize. It was a good deal, in my opinion. I think the trade works out for both teams.

I really like the acquisition.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Pidge wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Pidge wrote:
People are genuinely complaining here? Saying that those picks are in the 30s?!

How terminally pessimistic are you to think that about second rounders 5/6 years out?

The whole leauge for the past couple of years have valued those 2nd ROUND PICKS...smh.

Some of you will be on here on draft night complaining why the lakers couldnt just buy a 2nd round pick to get someone who dropped and then complain AGAIN when they do well in summer leauge or in regular season...geez!

They have value, but nowhere near as much as a starter/lottery talent with bird rights.

Assuming they'll be early 2nd rounders is a ridiculous mindset. The plan is to get better, so they won't be. I'm glad that we are not waiting for the second round of the 2029 NBA Draft to try and do so...

You do know we get our best talent in the 2nd round? We prob the only one's who seem unable to pick great in the 1st rnd but come up big in the 2nd for some dumb reason...smh.

Yeah Get better for what? So the King and A...D..Always Damaged can be sitting on the bench? We could have kept Stanely Johnson in my opinion and bring up Huff while Mr Bones is riding the pine with Damon Jones.

The only player that the Lakers drafted in the first round that didn't pan out in recent history, is Moritz Wagner (picked 25th). Other than that, all the other first round picks by the Lakers have been successes.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
^so we got a bad contract in Russ, and not trying at all to improve afterwards? in the process of trying to improve, we might have to take on bad contracts, and that shouldn't worry Jeanie because she will only be paying it for 1-2 seasons at the most, and we can start rebuilding afterwards which means no more luxury tax.

Putting this all in context, in regards to willingness to taking on bad contracts, I think we are talking about the repeater tax, now. I briefly took a look at how the repeater tax works, and my layman understanding of it is, any team that is operating over the luxury tax threshold, in 3 years out of the last 4, it triggers the repeater tax penalty. If I'm not mistaken, the Lakers have been in the luxury tax in the past two years. If they do so again the next year as well, that would put them in the repeater tax. Unless the Lakers are title contending team, I don't think the Lakers are looking to be penalized just for a middling team. This could possibly explain their reluctance to have the payroll balloon beyond a certain point. Just speculation on my part.

repeater tax is still just money, using last year as example, we paid about 40 mil in luxury tax, and if we apply the repeater tax to the calculation, our bill goes up 20 mil. would 20 mil break the Lakers? the warriors are on hook for 262 mil in luxury taxes next season alone, ok Warriors/nets/clippers are different animals, but we've been outspent by the Bucks last year, and likely this year, and will be next year unless they just give up some of their role players.
ok, someone is going to tell me it is not my money, and i understand that, but just don't tell me our owner is willing to spend.
if ownership worry about not being good enough, smart thing to do will be trade Lebron and AD and start rebuild, but if they don't want to trade them, then help them.

Love how easily you want to spend people’s money
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
He makes a little over $1M more than Nunn and we are in the $3.25/$1 luxury tax bracket, so Jeannie is paying $4.25M more with this trade. Maybe Jeannie is actually willing to spend.

She’s gonna make that back in jersey sales lol.

https://twitter.com/cjtoledano/status/1617581465897959424?s=46&t=rnll6GToYoI932-Ec_Fktw

This is 100% a factor in agreeing to this deal. They'll have $1,000,000 in jersey sales profit by all star break.

See this is the problem for Jeanie. You can’t even have this be a thought in modern pro sports ownership.

I think you may exaggerating what she’s making. On top of that the smaller market teams get a cut of the big market teams revenue
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
2019 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
He makes a little over $1M more than Nunn and we are in the $3.25/$1 luxury tax bracket, so Jeannie is paying $4.25M more with this trade. Maybe Jeannie is actually willing to spend.

She’s gonna make that back in jersey sales lol.

https://twitter.com/cjtoledano/status/1617581465897959424?s=46&t=rnll6GToYoI932-Ec_Fktw

This is 100% a factor in agreeing to this deal. They'll have $1,000,000 in jersey sales profit by all star break.

See this is the problem for Jeanie. You can’t even have this be a thought in modern pro sports ownership.

I think you may exaggerating what she’s making. On top of that the smaller market teams get a cut of the big market teams revenue

As do the players (they get 45% of Jersey sales).
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/kylegoon/status/1618054279218233346

Rui with Handy. Yes!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject:

So I guess that means he passed his physical
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Rui with Handy. Yes!

HELL YES!!
He looks focused and I am sure he is happy!
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject:

If Rui pans out with the team, then it won't be an overpay. If it's a bad fit then the 'overpay' narrative will just keep popping up in discussions from now on.

I actually love the trade. Swapping out another guard for a legit wing player, young, good upside, also our other guys get to play in their more effective positions (Reaves, Lonnie Walker). It might be a small move that ignites a big change. Also the Washington connection might actually pay off with chemistry.

LET'S GO LAKESHOW
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
If Rui pans out with the team, then it won't be an overpay. If it's a bad fit then the 'overpay' narrative will just keep popping up in discussions from now on.

I actually love the trade. Swapping out another guard for a legit wing player, young, good upside, also our other guys get to play in their more effective positions (Reaves, Lonnie Walker). It might be a small move that ignites a big change. Also the Washington connection might actually pay off with chemistry.

LET'S GO LAKESHOW

Will Rob match a 4 year deal though? If he really pans out well he will get large offer sheets that reduce the lakers "flexibility", and if we aren't willing to match, then we gave up 3 second rounders for 3 month rental. The best case scenario might be just a mediocre to slightly good showing from Rui.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

LET'S GO LAKESHOW

Will Rob match a 4 year deal though? If he really pans out well he will get large offer sheets that reduce the lakers "flexibility", and if we aren't willing to match, then we gave up 3 second rounders for 3 month rental. The best case scenario might be just a mediocre to slightly good showing from Rui.

The only way Rui gets a large offer sheet is if he plays at a star level, for the remainder of the season. As Garnett would say, nothing is impossible. But, its highly unlikely.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Rui with Handy. Yes!

Looking good, and glad to see Handy is already working with him! Hope to see him soon!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
troy wrote:
Did someone mention this dude has mental health problems? Oh sh**...

A lot of players have mental health issues just like a lot have concussions in football.

Only difference is that they treat them now.

Yeah, Metta used to talk about it all the time.

They've just stopped using them as character attacks, and instead are trying to treat players for it. It's much more of a discussion now than it used to be. Players usually just never brought it up and it wasn't treated with the seriousness or acknowledgement it should have. Now it is. So that's a good thing.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Did someone mention this dude has mental health problems? Oh sh**...

So what?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Darvin Ham said Rui Hachimura will definitely be available to play tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/danwoikesports/status/1618120731493289985?s=46&t=p5izIZ8eRK5ZXLiPJTOTcw
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Very skilled player.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Hope he starts - want to see him with Lebron and AD
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:

LET'S GO LAKESHOW

Even if he doesn’t work out it isn’t an overpay. Nunn was coming around but that position is saturated, second round picks aren’t worth crying about. It’s an attempt to fill a hole and while that sometimes doesn’t work, we know that not trying won’t work.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Hope he starts - want to see him with Lebron and AD

Dennis
Troy/Austin
Lebron
Rui
AD

Is what I’d hope for. Darvin need to stop with the 2 or 3 little guard lineups
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Kobetan wrote:

LET'S GO LAKESHOW

I think right now he is probably worth between (Morris/Covington) range. If he pans out he might get between $15m-$18m range.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Great pick-up.

He’s very underrated with lots of upside.

May become a fan favorite as well.

Has a little Horry in him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 21 of 91
Jump to: