I’m done watching this team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I've been on the Buss since 1960 and plan to ride it till the wheels fall off. I've seen the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY but never considered abandoning ship. For those who're done watching this is a quick way to the exit. ---------->

Fan since the 80's.. started saying "done with this team" since the 90's. LOL!
Happy New Year LG!

And, I too, am done with this team!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject:

why? We are ahead of last years pace.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

So everything is according to plan? This is the team we expected after making the WCF? To be .500 in 2024? Things were on the up at 14-9 and the IST. I thought we're on our way back to the good ol' days of 50+ win pace. But nah, we're back to the good ol' days of teeter tottering around .500 ball, play-in hopes, monitoring other teams hoping they do the lifting for you, etc. This is crap... be honest to yourself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I've been on the Buss since 1960 and plan to ride it till the wheels fall off. I've seen the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY but never considered abandoning ship. For those who're done watching this is a quick way to the exit. ---------->

Fan since the 80's.. started saying "done with this team" since the 90's. LOL!
Happy New Year LG!

And, I too, am done with this team!

Why do I not believe you

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

So everything is according to plan? This is the team we expected after making the WCF? To be .500 in 2024? Things were on the up at 14-9 and the IST. I thought we're on our way back to the good ol' days of 50+ win pace. But nah, we're back to the good ol' days of teeter tottering around .500 ball, play-in hopes, monitoring other teams hoping they do the lifting for you, etc. This is crap... be honest to yourself.

We weren't as good as the WCF run made it seem and we arent as bad as 2-10 starts from last year. Similar to WCF run the IST was littered with average teams.

If you look at our w/ls this year our best win is against the OKC on their floor. Before that, it was the cavs. I think the OKC took us lightly.

We were picked by some to be contenders and ESPN analytics had us at 42-45 wins.

we are in line with that.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

We weren't as good as the WCF run made it seem and we arent as bad as 2-10 starts from last year. Similar to WCF run the IST was littered with average teams.

If you look at our w/ls this year our best win is against the OKC on their floor. Before that, it was the cavs. I think the OKC took us lightly.

We were picked by some to be contenders and ESPN analytics had us at 42-45 wins.

Which sucks. LOL! To me at least. This is one of the weakest big name 1/2 punch in history. They need guys 3-12 to be in perfect health. Any one guy out equals excuse.

Perhaps, it's the coach. How do we explain teams like The Grizzlies, last year, just chugging along racking wins without Morant? While Lebron and AD is like... omg, a few of our career journeymen are out, we are toast. I just don't get it. This difficulty in building around AD and Bron. So in a sense, I am done with this team, in that I wouldn't lose sleep if they stop investing in this combo. I'm good if they cash out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Many here are blaming Ham for our showing. I fault his rotations. After giving that some thought I'm leaning toward he's doing the best he can with what he has to work with. As an armchair coach, I'd go with big units on given occasions. I don't know how much confidence he has in his coaching staff's recommendation or if they offer any advice. We're through approximately 1/3 of the season and still searching for an identity. Bron said as much. I lay that at the feet of Darvin. We're in the hunt. I'll live with that for now.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Which sucks. LOL! To me at least. This is one of the weakest big name 1/2 punch in history. They need guys 3-12 to be in perfect health. Any one guy out equals excuse.

Perhaps, it's the coach. How do we explain teams like The Grizzlies, last year, just chugging along racking wins without Morant? While Lebron and AD is like... omg, a few of our career journeymen are out, we are toast. I just don't get it. This difficulty in building around AD and Bron. So in a sense, I am done with this team, in that I wouldn't lose sleep if they stop investing in this combo. I'm good if they cash out.

bron is a numbers guy and we saw that AD cant really carry a team. Fortunately we had that huge rest during bubble.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

In their preseason prediction on Oct. 23, 2023, ESPN had us with 46 wins, coming in third in the west after Denver and Phoenix. That's in line with most of the other predictions I saw. CBS, for example, had a very similar forecast, with only 1 of their 6 reporters thinking we'd get out of the second round.

Still, everyone acknowledged a bit of fuzziness, saying it all depended if the wcf run last year indicated what this team could do.

I'd say being 17-17 (and 18th on offense and 7th on defense) would have to be considered a disappointment at this point. It's not terrible off the preseason predictions, and things could change, but it's below what people projected and much below what Lakers fans were hoping for.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Putting aside the Lakers woes, the NBA is a terrible product at the moment. I don't think anyone will dispute how putrid the officiating is at the moment. Don't believe me? Just watch Embiid or Shai on league pass. They set a terrible precedent foul-baiting tactics they use to draw fouls and get to the line. People get on Reaves for doing the same, but he is just taking advantage of the new meta, where offensive players initiate all the contact and have all the leverage. Why does the NBA refuse to allow players to play defense? This is not the same product it was 10-15 years ago. Artest would be fouled out in the first 5 minutes if he played in today's era. It stinks.

I bet for a lot of fans it was load management. Imagine buying tickets for an NBA game (which is pretty expensive these days with how much they are getting paid) and then realizing they are taking a couple of games off...that would turn you off to the product in a bad way.

Load management is a part of it, but also the scoring inflation and a ruleset that overwhelmingly favors offensive players. They want high scoring games, but people ain't buying it. Mitchell scored 71 in OT approximately a year ago, but people brushed it off after a couple weeks, which is kind of funny to me because Kobe's 81 was being talked about for years afterwards. Unsurprisingly, it turned out the Cavs were never a serious threat in the playoffs, and Mitchell was easily neutralized (averaged 23 points on 21 shots) when teams were allowed to clamp down on him.

NBA is trying to promote a broken product. Demographics-wise, they are doing okay with the young crowd, but are struggling to bring in new fans. I think the political messaging in 2020 was a big part of it, but they were still in freefall prior to that. That's what nobody talks about. The NFL, for all its faults and issues, annihilates it in terms of ratings and viewership.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject:

half the league chucking 3's all game is not a good product in the end.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Take a short break from the site and Reddit Lakers, it will work wonders on your sanity.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
Take a short break from the site and Reddit Lakers, it will work wonders on your sanity.

I second that. Reddit is a mental illness factory.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:12 am    Post subject:

I literally don’t know who you are

Bye
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject:

this team is offensively challenged and has to play perfect defense every game to have a chance. it might work better in the playoffs, but regular season is another story. whenever the opposing teams go on a big run, we have no one (including Lebron) that can just get us buckets with isolation. then you add a weird coach who is still testing weird lineups into January, this is what you get.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

I'm done too! I might watch the next game, but I'm DONE after that fo sho!

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Putting aside the Lakers woes, the NBA is a terrible product at the moment. I don't think anyone will dispute how putrid the officiating is at the moment. Don't believe me? Just watch Embiid or Shai on league pass. They set a terrible precedent foul-baiting tactics they use to draw fouls and get to the line. People get on Reaves for doing the same, but he is just taking advantage of the new meta, where offensive players initiate all the contact and have all the leverage. Why does the NBA refuse to allow players to play defense? This is not the same product it was 10-15 years ago. Artest would be fouled out in the first 5 minutes if he played in today's era. It stinks.

I bet for a lot of fans it was load management. Imagine buying tickets for an NBA game (which is pretty expensive these days with how much they are getting paid) and then realizing they are taking a couple of games off...that would turn you off to the product in a bad way.

Load management is a part of it, but also the scoring inflation and a ruleset that overwhelmingly favors offensive players. They want high scoring games, but people ain't buying it. Mitchell scored 71 in OT approximately a year ago, but people brushed it off after a couple weeks, which is kind of funny to me because Kobe's 81 was being talked about for years afterwards. Unsurprisingly, it turned out the Cavs were never a serious threat in the playoffs, and Mitchell was easily neutralized (averaged 23 points on 21 shots) when teams were allowed to clamp down on him.

NBA is trying to promote a broken product. Demographics-wise, they are doing okay with the young crowd, but are struggling to bring in new fans. I think the political messaging in 2020 was a big part of it, but they were still in freefall prior to that. That's what nobody talks about. The NFL, for all its faults and issues, annihilates it in terms of ratings and viewership.

Virtually every major sport, other than the NFL, has seen a ratings collapse.

People have all sorts of theories of why the NFL is succeeding compared to other major sports -- from fewer games to more predictable starting times to a better product to simply being a sport that people like the best.

But no one really knows.

If the NBA could clearly see that fans were being turned off by a particular style of play, that's pretty easy to change through rule changes and instructions to refs, so I doubt it's that simple.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject:

IST just proved that the team will play hard when they feel like it. The talent on this team is there but the heart is not. We have no dogs on this roster. Wish we had someone that just loves to compete like Kobe.

These guys are playing for the money. They don’t love the game and it shows. No fight. No pride. No passion.

TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Like an abused wife i will come back.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:44 am    Post subject:

Lakers forever!

See ya tonight!
https://www.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=194612
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject:

Well, bye.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

It's getting harder to show interest in games when the players don't.

Nobody trusts where the team is going, so nobody is sacrificing for a RS win except for maybe AD. Everyone is waiting for something to change before they buy in.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Good for you.

I was done since last year when I realized Ham is a clueless fool.

I was excited to watch again after we got rid of Westbrick.

But to my horror, our new coach was the Westbrick of coaches.

this is not fixable.

The management team gave him that extension, so they don't want to waste the money.

This will be another horrible era like the Luke Walton time.

Though Lebron was still able to power through and get us a In-Season Champ. But Lebron also dig his his grave by asking for the Westbrick trade, and I believed he sign up for Ham too, since he believe a rookie coach is easier for him to handle.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

Nobody trusts where the team is going, so nobody is sacrificing for a RS win except for maybe AD. Everyone is waiting for something to change before they buy in.

Spot on.

Instead, I am focusing my attention to the Dodgers. They seem to have an amazing ownership group who has put together a competitive team year after year ever since they bought it, unlike Jeanie Buss who runs the team like a small mom and pop business.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Spot on.

Instead, I am focusing my attention to the Dodgers. They seem to have an amazing ownership group who has put together a competitive team year after year ever since they bought it, unlike Jeanie Buss who runs the team like a small mom and pop business.

Now if only we could stop choking in the playoffs! I am also a Niner fan, so I can refocus on those teams. Lakers are giving me the beegees lately.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: