Shaq says he and Kobe would win 7-10 rings if they stayed; Regrets leaving the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Shaq says he and Kobe would win 7-10 rings if they stayed; Regrets leaving the Lakers

Shaq Reveals the Real Reason Why He Left the Lakers

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject:

We all know Shaquille regrets leaving. He ended his career as a journeyman on the Celtics .

If the Refs didn't give Miami a title in 2006 .

Orlando (Penny Hardaway and Ho Grant)
Miami (Dwayne Wade and Alonzo Mourning)
Phoenix (Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire)
Cleveland (Mo Williams and Lebron James)
Boston (Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett)
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject:

Best 1-2 punch in history
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject:

Shaq's an idiot. I will never respect him. Thanks for the 3 championships, but
Shaq

"I get hurt on company time, I heal on company time."
"Pay me the f***ing money!"
"Pat Riley is the best coach I have ever had."

He wasn't about the purple & gold. He was about himself. He didn't win us 3 championships, he lost us at least 4! He disrespected the jersey by saying those things above. He doesn't deserve a statue here. He only deserves the paycheck we gave him, since that is all he wanted anyway.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject:

Shaqs last comment on that clip is the right one. He went to Miami and did exactly what he should've done here, which is start to cede team and control to Kobe. But I still don't see how he would've stayed when he wanted more money. So though he says he regrets it, I don't see him staying for less money. What nba star has ever done that?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject:

Kobe was always the alpha and Shaq would never have been able to deal with it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject:

Not sure if folks here remember Shaq three-peat, most dominant 3yr run by a player, league had to change the rule, teams had to sign players just to foul
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Dude was taking everything too personal, him complaining about money was more about ego than the money itself. He let his ego get far too involved when it came to his teammate Kobe.

He would have had to defer to Kobe as he got older and I don't see the Shaq that we had doing that so I don't know how they win 7-10.

Honestly if he would have kept himself in shape they could have won 5 in a row and he'd be in a great position to get the salary that he craved. Also if Horace Grant and Malone didn't get hurt, but that is another topic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Dude was taking everything too personal, him complaining about money was more about ego than the money itself. He let his ego get far too involved when it came to his teammate Kobe.

He would have had to defer to Kobe as he got older and I don't see the Shaq that we had doing that so I don't know how they win 7-10.

Honestly if he would have kept himself in shape they could have won 5 in a row and he'd be in a great position to get the salary that he craved. Also if Horace Grant and Malone didn't get hurt, but that is another topic

To be fair, he did acknowledge all of that in the vid.

Time makes wise men of us all.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject:

Not so sure about that. The 04 team was very old. They would have had to revamp the entire roster around them with no real trade assets.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Not so sure about that. The 04 team was very old. They would have had to revamp the entire roster around them with no real trade assets.

I do think if Shaq goes to Kobe and says 'Its your team." And Kobe stays and doesn't head to Chicago.

That the tear Kobe went on over the next few years, even with Shaq heading towards the twilight of his career that we'd have made some Finals. I see what Shaq did with D-Wade, but I also saw what Kobe did with the Lakers.

If the Lakers were up 3-1 with Kobe and Kwame, then I don't have any doubts that Shaq and Kobe beat them, both years.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:

I do think if Shaq goes to Kobe and says 'Its your team." And Kobe stays and doesn't head to Chicago.

That the tear Kobe went on over the next few years, even with Shaq heading towards the twilight of his career that we'd have made some Finals. I see what Shaq did with D-Wade, but I also saw what Kobe did with the Lakers.

If the Lakers were up 3-1 with Kobe and Kwame, then I don't have any doubts that Shaq and Kobe beat them, both years.

Lets see

2006 - Would have faced 64-win Detroit in the finals. That being said, something was off about that Pistons team by playoffs time - perfect example of a team that peaked at the wrong time that season. Definitely winnable finals.

2007 - These Spurs as well as the previous year Heat were the 2 weakest champions in the past 20 years in a weak era in basketball that ended starting from the 2007-2008 season (very strong west with all 8 teams over 50 wins and the east with Boston, Detroit and Orlando.) Definitely could have won this with Shaq and Kobe.

2008 - We are not beating Boston with an aging Shaq at this point and Kobe. In fact, this team is for sure weaker than the one in real life as we would not have Odom, Farmar or Gasol (Kwame expiring trade chip). We wouldnt have Bynum either as we would not be bad enough to draft him.

From here on out, our team with Shaq is not stronger than the one in real life. I still think we could win in 2009 but we were running on fumes by 2010. We might not have won that one with an old, faded Shaq and minus Gasol, Bynum, Odom and Farmar. In the end, things probably would have balanced out with us winning in the earlier years at the expense of the ones we actually won in 2009 and 2010. In 2010, if we do not win, Boston certainly beats Phoenix in the Finals so the C's would have 18 titles right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lets see

2006 - Would have faced 64-win Detroit in the finals. That being said, something was off about that Pistons team by playoffs time - perfect example of a team that peaked at the wrong time that season. Definitely winnable finals.

2007 - These Spurs as well as the previous year Heat were the 2 weakest champions in the past 20 years in a weak era in basketball that ended starting from the 2007-2008 season (very strong west with all 8 teams over 50 wins and the east with Boston, Detroit and Orlando.) Definitely could have won this with Shaq and Kobe.

2008 - We are not beating Boston with an aging Shaq at this point and Kobe. In fact, this team is for sure weaker than the one in real life as we would not have Odom, Farmar or Gasol (Kwame expiring trade chip). We wouldnt have Bynum either as we would not be bad enough to draft him.

From here on out, our team with Shaq is not stronger than the one in real life. I still think we could win in 2009 but we were running on fumes by 2010. We might not have won that one with an old, faded Shaq and minus Gasol, Bynum, Odom and Farmar. In the end, things probably would have balanced out with us winning in the earlier years at the expense of the ones we actually won in 2009 and 2010. In 2010, if we do not win, Boston certainly beats Phoenix in the Finals so the C's would have 18 titles right now.

If Kobe remains as injured as he was the season where we drafted Bynum and it was just Shaq we had to depend on, I do wonder if our record would have been much different and if we'd have drafted Bynum anyway.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

how about keep yourself in shape first.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject:

Here were the Lakers left over from the 04 team not named Shaq and Kobe. Malone, Horace, and Fox retired.

Gary Payton 37yrs old
Derek Fisher
Brian Cook
Devean George
Slava Medvedenko
Jannero Pargo
Luke Walton
Kareem Rush
Bryon Russell
Jamaal Sampson

The roster stunk.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

Kobe was a free agent in 2004. If Shaq stayed, Kobe was gone.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject:

Seems like this comes back up once every five years or so.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

We were much better off dealing Snack.
We got Lamar and essentially Pau (Butler->Kwame->Pau) because of the Shaq deal.
Shaq was already fading in 2006 when Miami won the Chip.
Buss and Mitch’s Magic Wand were working back then.

And yes, I probably wrote this exact post in the forum some 10+ years ago.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

The 07 Heat fell off a cliff with a complacent Wade and old Shaq. Shaq didn’t exactly lead by example with the Heat after their 1st ring. Then to no one’s surprise he fell off with Riley and was traded, again. Due to his poor work ethic and arrogant attitude Shaq was set to flame out anywhere he went. It’s a good thing the Lakers dealt him.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

wouldn't have mattered because he was fat and lazy after those 3 rings
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:

The most dominant player ever. At his peak it felt like teams were being lead to slaughter against him, too bad he lost his drive along the way…
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject:

7-10 rings. Unlikely.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Given the last Shaq/Kobe team got swept by a run of the mill Pistons team, very unlikely.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I'll give him the benefit of his hindsighted perspective. He acknowledged that he should have relinquished the reins of the team to KB. He also should have kept himself in top shape, and refrain from his pettiness.

I remember his comment when Kobe was out, and we had Malone and Payton on the team. He stated something to the affect of "the team is all here", making a deliberate effort to shade Kobe.

All Kobe wanted him to do was stay in top shape. It is what it is....lost opportunities.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: