LAKERS -at- SPURS - 3/10 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

That's how you handle the world champion Spurs. You dismoralize them. Great ball game. You could also admit that the Lakers season is a better than last year. We beat the two best teams in the NBA . I mean hey where not were we are supposed to be in championship contention yet but we are definetly progresing. The future is still looking bright for us.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- SPURS - 3/10 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
OdomHe scored 13 points on 6-8 shooting, hitting key shots when the Lakers needed it. He pulled down 8 boards, dished a team-high 9 assists and had a team-high 2 blocks. Lamar worked the post against the smaller players with more frequency and we got him the ball with more frequency. He posted up Manu on the first play of the game, got the high entry, drew a double and kicked to Cook for the open 16-footer. He drained a wing three off the pinch post with Mihm. He scored on an alley-oop lob from Kobe. He posted up, drew a double and kicked it to Sasha for a three. Great help D rejection on Parker to prevent a layup. He also had a nice contest on Bowen, who had turned and tried to shoot high over Lamar and airballed. Lamar found Kwame beating Duncan down the floor he fed him for a dunk. Manu went down on a flop, Lamar stepped around him and scored a layup. He set up Mihm for a score with a high pick and roll pass. He rattled in an elbow jumper with the shotclock low. He crossed over Finley going to his right and scored a layup with his left. He found Luke in the corner for a three. He attacked from the wing, reversed direction and scored an And-1. He took Manu off the dribble, spun in the lane, drew the D and found Kwame who was fouled for FTs. Nice help D swat at the rim to save a layup from Barry.

PhilProps to Kwame and Mihm again for his their D on Duncan... Lakers went to Lamar and Smush in the posts to start the game. Clear purpose and intent in the offense. Lakers won the points in the paint battle 30-10 in the first half. Jerry Buss said the first half was "sensational". They won the points in the paint battle 56-26 at the end of the game...
DB - insightful analysis that provides more details than the regular national broadcasts.

LO, with the activity that you've described, hopefully has discovered that he needs to be consistently aggressive on the offense sets - instead of daydreaming at the 3 point line that forces the opposing teams to defend FIVE players. Even with only taking 8 shots, his activity that forced double teams gave cleaner and open looks for others.

PJ - in the "Pre-Game Show," it was mentioned that it has been a characteristic of PJ-led teams to get its act together after the "All-Star" break as it sets up for its playoff run. These last few games have given some tangible indications that the pattern might hold true for this edition of the Lakers - especially with PJ making every player accountable for the mistakes that they are making on the court. The substitutions are starting to be consistent, hence allowing the players to know better the roles they have to fill - though that might mean less minutes for Bynum and Turiaff. It seems like the rotation and lineup for the playoffs will be Kobe, LO, Mihm, Brown, Cook, Luke, DGeorge, Smush, Sasha and JJ.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

what a great win for us. I don't care that the spurs were tired...it's the nature of the schedule and a W is a W. we needed this to move us further away from the pack and to get the monkey off our back. so now that we've beaten the spurs...phoenix is next...

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Great game by the team, they came in really focused for this game. 1 thing I noticed, PJ called timeout almost every time the Spurs seem to be making a run. Tells you how they treated the game.

Thanks for the recap DB!
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, that was a joy to read.
This was only the 2nd Laker game BSPN have shown this season over this side of the world and what a performance to witness. The key word for the Lakers was composure, they seemed so focused as a team on both ends. There defensive rotations were excellent, i recall one play in the 2nd were the Spurs swung the ball right to left, inside and out but our guys stayed with them closed them down and forced a turnover. That was for me the highlight of the game, because its that type of effort that will take us to the playoffs.
Odom was incredible the whole game, he just seemed to be involved in everything. Smart play to post him and Smush and take advantage of the mismatches. Kwame was imovable in the post, i have never seen TD struggle so much down on the block. Kwame really through off his rhythm and Timmy's numbers tell the rest of the story. Luke was great to, just a really smart game from him and his twisting reverse made me jump out of my chair.
Great performance by the whole team, everyone was on the same page and you could tell that they wanted it more.
It may have only been my second live Laker game this season but it was well worth the wait.
kobeism
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Great win last night. 3 keys that I took most note of:

1. Kwame was allowed to defend Timmy straight up and everybody stayed home on the shooters. Not much else to say....Timmy only 5-12?? Great job, B-day boy!!

2. Forcing Tony Parker to have to play defense took him out of their offense. He's actually a terrible defensive PG if you're able to take it at him. The Lakers ran at least twice as many plays for Smush particularly early in the game to get TP on his heels and force Poppy to go to the bench early. Without TP running his typical layup drills every game, the Spurs were a lot more vulnerable.

3. Once again, the team did not fold because KObe was struggling with his shot. In fact, they used it to their advantage. So many times this year they would get caught Kobe-watching. But they seemed to have finally realized that if they want to watch Kobe, they need to buy a ticket and sit down. Guys like Lamar and Luke and Kwame positioned themselves for offensive rebounds and didn't wait for Kobe's shots to come off the rim before reacting.

havent i read this post on LT?
kobeism
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

anyways, what an effort on the whole team!! Kobe was hitting the key shots like always, even though it was an "off" night for him. Kwame Kwame Kwame! Keep it up!! LO, for the love of God! Do it again!!!!
mm708
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

What can I say, great like always.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

LO sometimes doesn't get credit for what he does, because of the emphasis on scoring. If we wanted to have a correct prospective on Lamar, we need to think of him as more of a point forward. He brings the ball up like a point guard. He rebounds like a PF. He defends like an oversized SF. He creates mismatches. I'm glad people are beginning to view him as part of a winning formula. The rest of the team must love playing with LO, because he gives them opportunities for high percentage shots. When teams overload on Kobe, LO has a chance to shine. LO is also only 26 years old. He hasn't peaked yet.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I feel like the dog that is about to tread all over the flower bed... I also delight in our recent win, but... I also feel like there are some very important, and more realistic things to take heed of...

Every now, and then, we just have to point out, that "The Emperor may be naked"... Kobe was missing quite a few shots, and he committed a few critical turnovers... At times, like these, I was yearning for the time that we can, confidently, turn to Jim Jackson, to help stabilize the situation, until Kobe gets it back together again.

Great birthday game, for Kwame... Maybe, we should always make it a birthday atmosphere, for Kwame?? I don't think this team will ever be known as "space scientists", but we seem to have finally realized that we have to penetrate more often, to disrupt the opponent... We also need to draw defenders, and kick to the open man... Duh!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

That's even better. If Kobe isn't having one of his better nights, and the Lakers beat the Spurs by 12 points, it's even better. That would mean it was a team effort, not a superhuman effort by Kobe.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

excellent work db!

thought I'd include comments from a recent post of mine's.

jeremysnow wrote:

Jim Jackson's 5 total minutes have made a huge impact. The 8th seed is better than 7th. What an exciting season! (MY FIRST POST)
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:41 pm

jfast8 wrote:

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:22 pm
..............If we can't get the 6th seed, I don't want the 7th seed. The 8th is better than the 7th. I don't like how we match up against Phoenix. They are so fast. Nash can penetrate anytime he wants and kills us everytime. ...........

excellent post!

low post, half court game will dominate in the playoffs.

if we take 2 games from either phoenix or SAS, I'd consider it a win.

however, JJ offers the lakers a "coach on the floor" with regards to preparing for the Suns (during practices). JJ's been helpful and probably be even more helpful in the coming weeks, once he gets comfortable with his teammates.

I would think that his oncourt knowledge of PHX will facilitate the teachings of coaching staff in preparing for the Suns.

JJ also offers an actual shooter in practice that makes shots. aside from kobe, our guards do not give the opposing practice team enough defensive challenges. remember, slava was basically non-existent during practices.

the higher level of practices will give the younger players a HIGHER level of game preparation.

I already saw the results of improved game preparation, in the guarding the perimeter shooters (vs. the spurs).

however, we NEED to get better, brent barry had TOO many open treys (and to a lesser degree michael finley).

needless to say, we are improving.

tease or actuality?

I think beyond the "hint of a tease," we are actually gaining consistency.

main problem: there aren't many days to practice; so attentiveness of each player is critical.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
LO sometimes doesn't get credit for what he does, because of the emphasis on scoring. If we wanted to have a correct prospective on Lamar, we need to think of him as more of a point forward. He brings the ball up like a point guard. He rebounds like a PF. He defends like an oversized SF. He creates mismatches. I'm glad people are beginning to view him as part of a winning formula. The rest of the team must love playing with LO, because he gives them opportunities for high percentage shots. When teams overload on Kobe, LO has a chance to shine. LO is also only 26 years old. He hasn't peaked yet.

LO needs to impose his will on the game. When he does that, we are a good team. That doesn't mean just grabbing rebounds and bringing the ball up. Or just making swing passes and initiating the offense... For him, it also means challenging his man on the offensive end, making his man play D...whether that is taking a bigger man off the dribble or posting up smaller guys or driving on the break... he needs to make the defense react to him, to collapse on him, to respect him or take abuse. It also doesn't always mean scoring, it can mean causing the defense to respond to him so that it makes it easier for his teammates.

He doesn't need to do it every play, but he needs to do it with consistency (especially in this offense). If you pass up too many shots, swing the ball too many times, don' t take a bigger man off the dribble, don't cut down the lane enough or don't post up the smaller man, you give your opponent a break, especially when you have certain mismatches you can take advantage of. If he is initiating the offense, he also needs to realize that sometimes he has the mismatch, sometimes he is the next best option to take. When he does that he is a dynamic player, when he doesn't...we aren't that effective.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:

^ and with passing up a shot or by not exploiting the mismatch, then a reset on the clock would be necessary (by passing up the opportunity).

unfortunately, by doing so, there's less time on the clock. which could force either a rushed shot (on our offensive end) to beat out the 24 second expiration or be called for a 24 second violation.

critical point.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
angel wrote:

LO needs to impose his will on the game. When he does that, we are a good team. That doesn't mean just grabbing rebounds and bringing the ball up. Or just making swing passes and initiating the offense... For him, it also means challenging his man on the offensive end, making his man play D...whether that is taking a bigger man off the dribble or posting up smaller guys or driving on the break... he needs to make the defense react to him, to collapse on him, to respect him or take abuse. It also doesn't always mean scoring, it can mean causing the defense to respond to him so that it makes it easier for his teammates.

He doesn't need to do it every play, but he needs to do it with consistency (especially in this offense). If you pass up too many shots, swing the ball too many times, don' t take a bigger man off the dribble, don't cut down the lane enough or don't post up the smaller man, you give your opponent a break, especially when you have certain mismatches you can take advantage of. If he is initiating the offense, he also needs to realize that sometimes he has the mismatch, sometimes he is the next best option to take. When he does that he is a dynamic player, when he doesn't...we aren't that effective.

I agree. He needs to take advantage of opportunties within the flow of the offense. I think he's gaining the confidence to do that. If Kobe keeps getting technicals, Lamar will have to become an aggressive first option for at least two games. I would love to see Lamar take advantage if that is the case, but I would hate to see Kobe have to sit for two games.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
Kobe was missing quite a few shots, and he committed a few critical turnovers... At times, like these, I was yearning for the time that we can, confidently, turn to Jim Jackson, to help stabilize the situation, until Kobe gets it back together again.
Kobe can shoot 100% all the time. It is noteworthy that the vast majority of his shots were in the flow of the offense. Recognizing that his shot wasn't on, he adjusted his game (as great players always do) to penetrating the paint for layups and dunks - then he just turned on the switch in the 4th quarter, as always. LO, Luke and DGeorge will be the first people PJ will call on to "stabilize" the offense - later Jim Jackson (once he learns the system) will play an important part. Note: Kobe never has had a game where he "didn't have it together."
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Hoopschick - I think Walton has had 2 good stretches now. First when he came into the seaon after that injury. He was a very good spark for us. Ask DB, I think he would remember best with the updates.

Then after that he got into a rut. Has had like 20-25 games where he rarely did anything positive. And his shot was just pathetic.

Now he's had 2 big games for the first time in ages.

You are right. He has been poor for too long this season. But that's why it's even more suprising that the has had 2 games like this now. We really needed it with Dev out.

First of all, DB thanks and great job as usual

In the last couple games, Phil has played Luke as the initiator and moved Lamar over to the 4. I think it's a brilliant move when used conservatively. Moving Lamar from initiator to the 4 seems to briefly confuse defenses. It puts Lamar in more of an attacking mode from the mid to high-post. And Luke knows this offense well enough to play initiator. It's about time he came around.

=========

And about Kwame, he has played great defense against almost all of the elite bigs this year: Shaq, Duncan, Yao, JO. The only bigs that I can remember having monster games against us were Gasol and EB. Unfortunately Kwame's impact doesn't show up in the stats.

I hope Phil can mold him to focus most of his attention on just rebounding, defending and running the floor. Basically become a Ben Wallace type player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: