KINGS -at- LAKERS - 3/22 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: KINGS -at- LAKERS - 3/22 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Stepping Up to the Challenge... The Lakers held down their turnovers and allowed the Kings just 2 points on the break as opposed to the 21 fastbreak points they gave up in the last game. Cutting down the easy baskets and tightening up their D on Bibby, they locked down, holding the Kings to just 80 points.

The Lakers focussed on defending Bibby tonight as he had been averaging more than 30 points a game against us. They stayed on him, didn't allow penetration or space with some good help D, and even Sasha got under his skin again for a stretch. Bibby finished with 10 points on 3-12 shooting.

Kobe, Lamar and Smush all did their things, but Kwame busted the Kings for 21 points and 12 boards. Simply a great game by Kwame. "He's been doing the defensive part all year long,'' Kobe said. "Sometimes, the people want more. Tonight he gave them more.'' Kwame has really seemed to respond to the biggest games of the year. Hopefully, that gets us to the playoffs and carries through during the post season.

Kobe -- -- Kobe put together a solid game, coming up big down the stretch with some big hoops (although he did have a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers late in the game). He finished with 28 points on 11-20 shooting (2-3 from three and 4-6 FTs). He also had 4 assists, 5 boards and 3 steals in 40:40 of action. He attacked off the dribble from the side and scored a layup at the front of the rim. He attacked and hit Cook with a no-look pass for an open jumper. Smush passed back to Kobe on the break for a layup. He attacked the lane and spotted Lamar cutting on the baseline for a dunk. He froze Artest with a stutter step and then hit a teardrop in the lane. He got a nice pick from Kwame and hit another one-hander from about the FT line. He got careless with the ball in front of Artest, had it knocked away and it led to FTs in transition on the other end. He attacked at the end of the quarter, got to the baseline and hit a fade. Great look to Luke under the hoop from about 40 feet away and Luke scored a layup. He didn't close out on Artest and gave up a three with some soft D. He also had a little trouble with Wells in the post. Kobe attacked off the dribble, drew FTs and made both. He rattled in a three off the weave at the end of the half. He had 15 points, 4 assists and 4 boards at the half. In the second half, he rose up over Artest and hit a three from the side. He got sandwiched after a jumpstep and hit a little And-1 runner and made the FT. He faked Miller in the air and drew FTs, making one. He missed a tech FT. With the Laker offense starting to misfire down the stretch, Kobe hit a face-up 20-footer over Artest. Next time down, he took the ball into the post, and stepped around Artest with a series of pivots and scored a layup. He was called for an offensive foul trying to get set for a pass. He then somehow threw a pass away, not sure where it was going. After driving and getting blocked, we ran our inbounds sequence and Kobe turned and swished a long baseline fallaway. Ballgame.

Odom -- -- Solid game from Lamar, again connecting from long range tonight. He finished with 13 points on 5-12 shooting (2-3 from three), 8 boards and a team-high 8 assists with just 1 turnover. His D was excellent and he led the team with 4 steals and also had 1 block. He had a closeout on Wells that forced an airball. He deflected a pass in the backcourt the led to a Sasha layup. He generally used his size well against Artest. Lamar threw down a dunk trailing a Smush breakaway. He swished a 28-foot three straight away. He dunked off a Kobe drive and dish. Nice play at the end off the half to find Kobe for the open three off a weave and drive down the lane. Lamar called for the two-man with Kwame, drew the double then threw a lob to Kwame who caught it, turned and dunked. He and Kwame kept a miss alive off the boards and Lamar eventually tipped it in. He pushed the ball up in semi-transition, stopped on a dime in the lane, spun and bounce passed to Kwame for a layup. He drew FTs at the end of the quarter and made one. He swished a 30-foot three-pointer early in the offense (I guess he felt it). He attacked Artest off the dribble, drew help D, then dished it to Kwame in the lane for the And-1. Great job looking for Kwame on the night and giving him some good scoring opportunities.

Kwame -- -- Kwame was the difference maker tonight. He led the team in boards with 12 (leading both on D boards and offensive boards with 6 on each end). He led the team in FTs made and attempted, shooting 5-10. And, he set a new Laker high with 21 points off 8-12 shooting in a solid 40:54 of action. Those numbers reflect his activity and some nice touch around the rim in this one. His individual D is almost always solid, tonight his team D was very important. He had a lot of key rotations, shows and recoveries throughout that anchored or defensive schemes. His last two games have been superb. He ran the floor and Smush found him for a throwdown. Nice weak to strong cut, he got the pass, but couldn't finish the And-1, he made one FT. He drew a foul again in the paint and made both FTs. Aggressive job posting up and he drew FTs, making one. He posted up low, sealed, got the entry pass and hit a short, controlled jumphook. He cleaned up a loose ball that bounced to him under the hoop for an And-1, he missed the FT. Great first half, he had 11 points and 6 boards. Nice two-man game with Lamar, he got the high return pass in the low post, turned and dunked with both hands. He posted up Miller, rocked him backward with his strength and then hit a short jumphook...beautiful, one of his better post sequences all year, using his strength well and going up controlled to finish. Lamar set him up in the lane for an easy layup off a bounce pass. He tipped back in a miss by George for a new Laker high. The on the other end, Rahim tried to post him up, Kwame smothered him and controlled the rebound. He took a feed from Lamar, got contact, but finished the And-1, he missed the FT. Keep playing with that energy and focus, bigman. After the game, Kwame felt it was his best play this season. "Yeah, best all-around game, defense, rebounding and scoring," he said in the AP. "I've just got to keep being solid. I know I'm going to be in there. I can make a mistake and recover from it - just play good, sound basketball."

Smush -- -- Smush cut down on some simple defensive mistakes and gave a good effort throughout the night. As a result, he played Bibby even and that is huge. Smush scored 10 points on 4-10 shooting (just 1-3 from the line), had 4 boards, 4 assists and 2 steals. Again, he came out of the gates strong. He hit a catch-and-shoot three to start the Lakers scoring. He attacked the lane and used speed around Miller for a layup. He hit Kwame with a nice bounce pass on the break for a dunk. He pushed the break up again and hit Kobe trailing for a layup. Out again on the break once more and he fed Lamar for the dunk. He found Kwame under the hoop a couple of times and Kwame was set up for FTs on each. Nice steal at the end of the quarter, but he couldn't hit the three. He attacked Bibby off the dribble and scored an And-1 off the glass with good concentration, he made the FT. He faked Bibby in the air then hit a floater off the glass. He clanked a couple FTs after drawing a foul in the backcourt.

Cook -- -- Off game shooting-wise as he ended up with just 2 points on 1-5 shooting in 15 minutes. He did allow us some important minutes so that we could keep Lamar on Artest defensively. Again, the Kings put Martin on Cook defensively and we couldn't take advantage. Cook posted up Martin and missed a turnaround. He posted him up again and drew a foul. He hit a sideline jumper off a kickout from Kobe. Nice steal on Rahim, stripping the ball from him. On one defensive sequence, he wasn't paying attention and was called for illegal D three seconds.

George -- -- His hands generally seemed off in this game as he had some trouble tracking down and holding on to loose balls. He shot just 1-5 for 2 points in 12 minutes. He stripped Artest who tried to post him up. He missed a point-blank bank shot, rushing it under the hoop.

Walton -- -- Luke got a tech when he got shoved out of bounds by Bonzi with the ball hitting him and the officials swallowing their whistle to give the Kings a possession. Seviceable minutes from Luke overall. Nothing great, but nothing costly. He scored 4 points on 2-7 shooting, had 5 boards (2 offensive) and 1 steal. He caught a long Kobe pass and scored all in one motion while still in the air. He popped out from the weakside and hit a 17-footer straight away.

Vujacic -- -- Sasha got back under Bibby's skin again, drawing two offensive push off fouls, frustrating Bibby as he was trying to free himself to get open for a pass. That's priceless and the Staples crowd appreciated it. Sasha scored 7 points on 2-7 shooting in 14 minutes and he had a couple of assists. He scored a layup when he and Lamar pressured in the back court and got a turnover to start the second quarter. He missed a pull-up jumper off a nice fake. He pulled up in transition and luckily drew a foul as a defender came from behind to swat the shot, Sasha made both FTs. Good sequence of D on Bibby, who tried to draw a foul, then had to pass, got it back and then missed a three with Sasha on him. He hit a three behind Kwame off a little pinch post. He missed two more deep jumpers on the next possession.

Jackson -- -- Some slightly more comfortable minutes from Jackson as he played 3:51 during a first half stint. He missed a transition three, his only attempt. He attacked the baseline and fed Kwame who was fouled for FTs.

Bynum -- -- Short little stint from Bynum. He quickly made his presence felt with a weakside block on Artest at the rim. He played just 3:32, grabbed a board and was called for a couple of fouls, including one trying to post up his man.

Phil -- -- This was a playoff game. A game the team had to have and everyone had to step up. Glad to say they responded... Phil on Kwame: "He had a great game. We told him before the game that they don't bother to guard him and if we was active he would find some things out there. And he really did, he found some opportunities."... He called a 20-second timeout at the end of the half and ran a weave which put the ball in Lamar's hands to attack off the dribble. Lamar attacked to Kobe's side of the floor, drew the D and pitched it to Kobe for a three... Phil made a point to the team not to send the Kings to the line. The guys responded and had just 14 fouls in the game, with no Laker with more than 2 fouls... "I still believe that we're going to make the playoffs," Phil said in the AP. "We've gotten some help from other teams. We have to help ourselves now."...
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

As good of a defender as Artest is, Kobe can still beat him so many ways, it's amazing watching him work.

Thx DB.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject:

THanks Deeb
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Who was that Kwame guy, and when was he added to the roster?

Thanks DB!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: KINGS -at- LAKERS - 3/22 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Cutting down the easy baskets and tightening up their D on Bibby, they locked down, holding the Kings to just 80 points.
. . . stayed on Bibby, didn't allow penetration or space with some good help D

OdomLamar called for the two-man with Kwame, drew the double then threw a lob to Kwame who caught it, turned and dunked.

KwameHe led the team in boards with 12 (leading both on D boards and offensive boards with 6 on each end). He led the team in FTs made and attempted, shooting 5-10.After the game, Kwame felt it was his best play this season. "Yeah, best all-around game, defense, rebounding and scoring,"

VujacicSasha got back under Bibby's skin again, drawing two offensive push off fouls, frustrating Bibby as he was trying to free himself to get open for a pass. That's priceless and the Staples crowd appreciated it.

PhilWe told Kwame before the game that they don't bother to guard him and if we was active he would find some things out there. And he really did, he found some opportunities."

PJ's game plan of having trail and/or go over the top of the screens (with weakside help to "stretch" him wide and deep - like what teams were doing with Kobe) worked well with the Lakers being crisp and communicating well on defense. Do you feel that the energy was the key difference and/or the switch in strategy - with the obvious "PC" answer bineg that's it a little of both - but seeking to see which factor was more strategic.

Re: Kwame
With PJ asking Kwame for more things and knowing that he doesn't have to look over his shoulder at the bench, how we can get to consistently produced this type of effort for the next upcoming games and when Mihm returns? As Stu stated on TV, Kwame and LO seems to have the proverbial "light" turned on regarding how to get find the seams and holes provided by the defense (as stated by Kobe) to get open/receive passes/and score, (besides consistently) isn't he doing the work that other posters have been clamoring for and/or seeking from players that they want the Lakers to trade for (i.e. Martin, Evans, Boozer, etc.) - boards, strong defensive presence, scoring (at least a little bit) and energy?!?!?!

Re: "Fouls" on Kobe
Wasn't it interesting that the camera caught Kobe talking to one of the coaches and showing how he was always being fouled (opponents "cracking on his arms") while being called for "questionable fouls" (i.e. Artest) - along with "interesting fouls, like when Luke passed the ball to Smush under the basket while being fouled as he was going to shoot while Stu/Joel was amazed that it wasn't a shooting foul?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

Re: Sasha's Shooting
For awhile, Sasha was just shooting 3s like he had to get his quota of shots before he returns to the bench - do you think that PJ gave him the OKd since DGeorge is unable to provide this kind of offense because of his injury and PJ wanted to find what he can produced?!?! Maybe Sasha is trying to develop into a new/next version of a "Bobby Jackson" with his defense skills and his developing (hopefully) offensive skills - could this be true?

Could these last games provide a tangible opportunity to catch Memphis?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject:

Excellent as always, DB.

Bizarro Stat of the Night:

Luke Walton.....30 Minutes Played.....0 Assists.
lakershow75
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject:

thanks.
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject:

Thx DB
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
Excellent as always, DB.

Bizarro Stat of the Night:

Luke Walton.....30 Minutes Played.....0 Assists.

Luke did have some nice hustle plays though, and if that's all he can do I will take it gladly.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject:

thanks for the recap

I'm glad to see Kwame coming into his own...hope this isn't an anomaly.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Who was that Kwame guy, and when was he added to the roster?

Thanks DB!

Yeah, who was that guy, is he on loan from the Clippers? We could sure use a bigman like that in our lineup.
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

Luke was great at giving us second chance opportunities to score. He's always been like that - all hustle with great court vision. I love his supporting effort!
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:

LongtimeLakerLover wrote:
Luke was great at giving us second chance opportunities to score. He's always been like that - all hustle with great court vision. I love his supporting effort!

I thought he did a good job moving the ball around.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:

It is obvious, that our team has stepped it up a notch, at least, in this last game. I hope it's not just a one time deal. I hope the improvements continue.

I was thinking how various elements, in this last game, seem to espouse the guidelines, for certain innovative management techniques, which I have been acquainted with. I think Phil is starting to recognize, and utilize, each player's strengths, to fulfill the overall needs of the team, as a whole. In this process, it looks like Phil has also managed to get every player to also value, and trust their fellow teammate's strengths, while recognizing the areas of weaknesses, where they must "chip-in", and help. In effect, each teammate fills in the weak spots, with whatever strengths they have to offer.

I have to say, however, that I would still prefer to keep Kobe out on the wing, and let someone else handle the ball... :roll:

Kwame's performance, last night, made me feel good, about being one of the people that originally wanted to take a chance on him. Of course, I was taken on that "roller-coaster ride", like many others, who changed their opinion.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

Great Team win.

Apart from the last 3 minutes, this was a team effort. The defense and offense. Very good to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

thanks DB

If Kwame were to play like that everynight, the playoffs could get very interesting.

I don't want to focus on the refs beacuse i'm so happy for the "W" but...

What the hell was up with that PHANTOM offensive foul call on Kobe?
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

From the Sacramento Bee:

Quote:
Faster than Kobe Bryant can pull up and release from long range, Ron Artest had changed his tune.

No more boisterous predictions regarding Bryant and how he would fare against Artest. No more, as Artest put it, stirring the pot of the Kings-Lakers rivalry and the faceoff of each team's stars.

Faced with the latest chance to turn the spotlight on himself and Bryant, Artest passed on the chance entering Wednesday's game at Staples Center.

"I hope he gets 70 (points) and we win the game," Artest said.

The Kings small forward has been unafraid to speak his mind since arriving, predicting the Kings would make the playoffs after just two games with his new team and recently saying they would see the second round.

"I know a bit about marketing, and I know how to stir things up," he said. "(But) marketing's not helping get wins."

Quote:

Their latest road defeat was finalized, in part, by Kobe Bryant, who had an efficient 28 points (on 11-of-20 shooting) but wasn't spectacular until the final minute. After a Brad Miller dunk cut the Lakers' lead to 85-80 with 1:02 remaining, Bryant - who had been infuriated when whistled for an offensive foul on Ron Artest moments before - rose over Artest in the left corner, his jumper slicing through the net.

"He's awesome," said Artest, who didn't garner the same praise after he had seven turnovers to go with 18 points and 10 rebounds. "He hit that last shot, and I was like, 'Damn,' but then I was like, 'That's Kobe.' "

Artest's son was even more in awe. After some had noticed Bryant and Artest didn't shake hands beforehand, the mutual respect was apparent afterward, when Artest ran down a hall to catch Bryant. Artest's son, 4-year-old Jeron, desperately wanted a picture with Bryant, who happily obliged.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

^
Good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

rpadma12 wrote:
From the Sacramento Bee:

Quote:
Artest's son was even more in awe. After some had noticed Bryant and Artest didn't shake hands beforehand, the mutual respect was apparent afterward, when Artest ran down a hall to catch Bryant. Artest's son, 4-year-old Jeron, desperately wanted a picture with Bryant, who happily obliged.

That's interesting. They don't get along anymore? I thought Kobe was pushing for Artest to be a Laker? Was it Artest's talking that lead to this?

But damn, even your own son wants a pic with the guy you just went up against? That is major props right there.
venicebeach
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

MY NKPOG (Non-KWAME Player of the game) goes to Kobe Bryant.

Sorry, Klone_dd, I had to steal that and use that line.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."

Last edited by magic_bryant on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

#8 is ridiculous. That late shot in front of the kings bench only gets made by him or some retired guys.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Good game all around, but that stretch from 5:33 to 1:59 of the fourth quarter when Phil inexplicably went without a center and watched the Kings score 4 consecutive layups was absolutely maddening! Thank goodness his stubborness didn't cost them last night, but whether it's his refusal to call time or his needless experimenting with a game not yet in hand, the dude makes me pull my hair out sometimes. I'd much rather have seen them run that (13 point at 5:33) lead up and finish with the confidence that hammering the Kings by 20 could've brought, but alas, Phil will be Phil.

Last edited by RYZ on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
His D was excellent and he led the team with 4 steals and also had 1 block. He had a closeout on Wells that forced an airball. He deflected a pass in the backcourt the led to a Sasha layup. He generally used his size well against Artest

I'm glad you noticed this.

More than anything (stat line) I was impressed by his defensive energy and ability to use his length against Artest. The shots Artest made on Lamar were all hard contested ones. And he didn't score much on him, most of his shots were on George/Walton.

Excellent defensive game by Lamar. Now if he can somehow just play defense like this each game - the Pippen comparison's would be coming in.
froesel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB,

Excellent as usual.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: