ROCKETS -at- LAKERS - 4/2 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:

Kwame seemed to be reverting, to that player, that can't hang on to the ball. On the positive side, Kwame was really putting his body into Yao, and it may have finally had its effects. Yao was just dishing the ball into the basket, over Kwame... I thought Kwame was keeping his hands down too much, perhaps, Phil told him to avoid fouls??

I've got to think it was a point of emphasis. Who would we throw at Yao if Kwame was in foul trouble? Our best two options have bad wheels.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
With Cookie getting just 18 minutes of PT - along with 3 points, 1/2 shots, 5 boards and 2PF - it confirms that unless is hitting his shots, his PT is limited with Luke quickly taking over him minutes. What do you think Cookie needs to be and/or taught to be a more complete player.
I think he needs to get more crafty on D. Work on his hands and stripping the ball like Malone. He needs to make sure he is always boxing out and moving his feet.
When he displays his low Basketball IQ, playing soft and not hitting his jumper - he's useless. It would be great if he could acquire the mindset to move his hands like Malone and/or a combination of moving his feet to get into position while constantly moving his hads (ala Artest) to earn more PT. Since he is playing the "4" - maybe they should get Turiaff (a rookie) to "bang" on him throughout practice to help him learn to be more crafty and useful. Maybe he should make a videotape of the UCLA Bruins playing defense where good players face the opponent they are responsible for, then turn around to block them and get the rebound - instead of just turning to the basket in the "hope" of getting a rebound.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakersSpirit wrote:
Kwame seemed to be reverting, to that player, that can't hang on to the ball. On the positive side, Kwame was really putting his body into Yao, and it may have finally had its effects. Yao was just dishing the ball into the basket, over Kwame... I thought Kwame was keeping his hands down too much, perhaps, Phil told him to avoid fouls??
I've got to think it was a point of emphasis. Who would we throw at Yao if Kwame was in foul trouble? Our best two options have bad wheels.
I agree. They were allowing Yao to get his points while eliminate the other scorers. As noted by the UCLA Bruins' defensive success, putting the body on Yao will wear him down who doesn't have the strength/stamina as other top elite centers (i.e. Shaq of yesteryear).
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

thanks DB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:

Nice recap. I thought Kwame did fine considering the circumstances. He's the tallest guy on our roster that was available. But after seeing this, I'm wondering whether he should return to starting PF (thereby replacing D-less Cook) once (if?) Mihm returns. He's a little short to play C effectively.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

Aren't Kwame and Mihm both 7 footers.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Nice recap. I thought Kwame did fine considering the circumstances. He's the tallest guy on our roster that was available. But after seeing this, I'm wondering whether he should return to starting PF (thereby replacing D-less Cook) once (if?) Mihm returns. He's a little short to play C effectively.

Whether or not Kwame returns to PF remains to be seen.

But he is not too short to play center.

Everyone is short next to Yao.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Was in Vegas winning money on UCLA so even though the game was the next morning was really still recovering from the massive party at Body English in at the hard Rock Hotel. hahahah I know I am off topic completly but it was insane. That club does not close until 5 in the morning everyday???!!!??? Anyways great game. Great Comeback. Kobe gonna break Elgin's record for most 40 points game in the season. Franchise record . I think we all know that.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Whether or not Kwame returns to PF remains to be seen. But he is not too short to play center. Everyone is short next to Yao.
Within the "Triangle" - a "Low Block" can exist (i.e. Shaq) and a "High/Pinch" Post player (i.e. Horace Grant/Charles Oakley/Robert Horry/Will Purdue) can exist. Imagine a frontline of LO (6'10"), Mihm (6'11") and Brown (7') with a backcourt of Smush and Kobe during the playoffs

SIDE NOTE:
Lakers don't need a "big" as a top priority, but a perimeter player like "Artest" (wow, I'm actually saying this?!?!) would now complete this team that includes
Mihm
Brown
LO
Artest
Jim Jackson
Kobe
Bynum
Turiaff
Smush
Sasha
Luke
DGeorge
-
Green
Von Wafer
Profit

Hmm - a dangerous team to face
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Man, I love it when the Lakers win. It makes my whole day, and the next one too!
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I thought Kwame did okay under the circumstances, and appreciated his play on Yao better than what Mihm probably would have done, which is to foul out trying to block or stop Yao from scoring. Kwame played it smart: put a strong body on him, make it hard for him and wear him out. It worked pretty well I thought, since Yao wasn't scoring much in the second half. I was worried that Kwame wouldn't have any strength left to provide offense for us but with Kobe going off in the third it wasn't a problem.

Do you realize that we rarely face the fear of players fouling out now that Mihm is on the IL? I hope he comes back and plays smart, and doesn't revert to his old two handed shove.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: