LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/6 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pghlakerfan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject:

DB- Thanks for the dedication. I am here in PGH and don't always get to see the games on TVand your recaps get me the real deal information. Big up to you for providing the real breakdowns.
As for the game and the team- we had it in game six and let them get an offensive rebound wich led to the tying shot in regulation. In game 7, nobody in the first half could make a shot but #8. In the second half he did not look for his shot because he knew he had to have his teammates score and hit shots for a comeback to occur.
Now the fun begins- let the speculation begin!
LakeShow09
LG Multimedia Team
LG Multimedia Team

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Thanks DB, for this and every other game report this season. Your work here is valuable, insightful, unique and selfless. That you even did one for this pathetic display tonight is beyond the call.

BRAVO for all that you gave us this season.

Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:

DB,

Thank the missus for all of us out here in LG land. This board would be a shell of itself without your inisghtfull analysis.

I think you hit on a great point of needing a veteran PG AND the fact we selected Cook over Barbosa. For those new to the board, there was a FIERCE debate as to which player should have been picked by the Lakers. Barbosa had several supporters (me among them) who argued hard to get Barbosa but the team went another direction. It burned us as Barbosa was able to hit threes when needed and is quick enough to cause his opponents a lot of problems on the defensive end.

Veteran free agent PG's this off season are: Jason Terry, Mike James, Speedy Claxton, Sam Cassell, Marcus Banks (stretch), Jeff McInnis and Bobby Jackson. Flip Murray is available but I am not sure if he would work as a PG in the triangle.

Laker7
jaberwock2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

There was no movement on offense. Totally static. Not even the half-hearted trot cuts. This led to forced and telegraphed passes, which in turn led to most of the turnovers in the 1st quarter. Especially obvious in comparison with the Suns motion on offense. If you don't move, you're making it really easy for the other team to guard you, and more difficult to feed the post. I think they slipped back into the "watch Kobe" version of the tri that they ran much of the year.

Smush needs a psychologist. For much of the season, Mr. "Playground Legend" seemed to think he was too good to give much effort on defense. He mopes when he doesn't shoot well, which means even less effort. I had the sense that Phil might have felt that he'd lose him altogether if he didn't start. In this game, his decision making was mostly awful. For example, I remember a three from the top of the key early in the shot clock. Exactly the shot we don't want, and not they way to get his shooting woes untracked. Try getting closer!

Sasha elevated the energy level, but often accumulated fouls quickly, which is OK if you're a back-up. He is a keeper, and it will be interesting to see what he can add to his game over the summer.

Everyone from Mitch and Phil to pretty much all members of LG have said we need help at PG, someone that can defend well. If Smush wants to keep his starting job, he'll have to improve a lot. I think he has the talent, but I question whether he has the will.

For this, and many other games, I have to include Devan George in the numbskull group of poor decision makers. I think signing him to another contract is going to be a tough decision, unless he's real cheap.

Hopefully next year we'll get Laron Profit back. We really missed his defensive hustle and offensive contributions off the bench.

We've got a good group here, which was not obvious at the beginning of the year. I think we're one or 2 players away from competing on the big stage. That's a testament to the job the coaching staff did this year, and (dare I say it on LG?) to the job the front office has done in reconstructing the team after Shaq opted out. One thing about a system like the tri is you don't want to make wholesale changes because of the steep learning curve. Patience!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:

I think the team needs some big changes. Patience isn't going to turn marginal players into more than they are. Luke, Smush, etc... are bench players. We need to bring in quality starters. Guys that are two way talent. Let's be honest, yes we forced them to a 7 game series but we're talking about a team with Amare or Thomas. Had both of them been healthy we would have been swept.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

Thank you DB for your insight and dedication. The few times I took over for you only proved to me how much one has to put in to make a solid review and analysis that is not biased or simply a rant. Thank your wife also.

Here is what this playoff series taught me -

Kwame really needs to learn rebounding from Ronny Turiaf. Ronny moves his feet, goes to the ball and tracks down rebounds. He attacks. Kwame picks a position and hopes the ball comes to him.

Kwame has stone hands when he is nervous. Once he gains confidence his hands are actually spectacular. Can we bring in Jerry Rice to teach this kid the art of recieving a pass with your hands and staying focused?

Lamar is really the perfect sidekick for Kobe. He really allows Kobe a lot of freedom on the offensive end. May be next year Phil will actually allow Lamar to get the ball in the high post in the middle of the court so he actually has choices on where to pass (of course this means we will get guys who can hit jumpers and cut).

Kobe Bryant is the most well-rounded basketball player I have seen in a very, very long time. He can blend well with others (3 rings) / Games 1-5) or take over completely (62, 81, 40ppg for a month 2x). I noticed that Phoenix made sure never to run their offensive sets against Kobe - ever. I mean ever. He was always on the other side of the court. Always. He got jobbed for this year's MVP.

Smush Parkers road to the NBA has taken a toll on him. His self doubt showed when he lost his shot. He really needs to go home to Brooklyn for a week then come back and work out with Kobe every day. I like the kid and refuse to dump us losing the series on him entirely. Nash was last year's MVP you know. Plus - who has ever stopped Nash in a seven game series. No one. Even when his teams lose - he excels. Hopefully you come back next year Smush - a lot better and possibly backing up someone who is a lot better than you.

Sasha - I've always believed in drive, focus and dedication as these are the traits that have led me to personal success. Add a little talent and a person that no one sees as having a chance will surpass 95% of those around him. I feel this may be Sasha. He needs to improve in a lot of ways, but honestly he can. I like him. More as a person than a basketball player (from what I see on the court), but I like him and won't hate anymore.

Phil Jackson - Really needs to start making better in game adjustments. There is no reason I should be yelling at the t.v. saying put Lamar in the middle of the court on offense in the first quarter and it not happening until late in the 3rd / early 4th. What he did to Smush 3 games in a row was ridiculous. We knew they would P&R with Diaw and Nash with Smush ending up on Diaw. That was just unfair after a while. What was Smush suppose to do? Besides that - I'll just say this was his best overall coaching job for a season and this team has grown leaps and bounds.

Overall - a semi-successful season for the Purple and Gold. We got back to the playoffs and actually made a bang. That is a positive. We have a core of players to build around so let's hope management becomes aggressive.

Personally - I'd like to see a more athletic team that can push the ball more. Not so much as the Suns, but more than we currently do. I'd also like to see some lock down team defense like in games 2,3,4 and parts of game 6.

Peace.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for a well-written analysis of each game/player. great balance of the positive and negative. and yes...thanks to Mrs. DB for sharing you with us

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Non-Kobe Player of the Season = DB. Many thanks for your insight and analysis over this roller coaster season.

No need to comment on the game. A young team buckling under the pressure of a Game 7 after a heartbreaking Game 6 loss. Hard to imagine that at this time last week, the Lakers were rolling with confidence and momentum.

The important thing will be what was learned and how will that knowledge be used to fill in all the holes. Certainly, PG is a major, major concern and to some extent PF once again. Smush would be an ok backup, but you can't expect him to play huge minutes in the playoffs. Kwame, while showing signs of growth, must make a gigantic leap in the offseason to be counted on consistently. I think Lamar had a breakthru 2nd half of the season even though he was psyched out yesterday.

The way Phx was taunting the Lakers in the final minutes, hoisting up 3's and such, has turned me into a Clips fan for the next series.
bill_bridges
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

Phil is a great strategist but not a great tactician. This has been the case since Chicago. He came up with the winning strategy of beating Phoenix and came within in one scramble 3 pointer of a major upset. He was let down by two things.

1. Poor execution. Failure to foul after the Nash missed at the end of game 6 obviously is the worst one. Complete inability to deal with the one and only half court set that phoenix ran. The pick n roll w/ nash and Diaw (the other one was give the ball to barbosa and let him beat whoever was one him to the rim). In 7 games, not in one occasion did the lakers succeed in rotating the weakside defense to help out the hapless parker.

2. Poor adjustment by Jackson. How many points and fouls were caused by the the pick n roll defense? Nothing good ever happened by having parker alone on the block defending Diaw. It would have been better to go big by starting George instead of Parker. That way any switch would have left a competent low post defender. It wasn't as if Parker was giving anything on offense anyway.

3. Playing Nash straight up and allowing him to penetrate and be the playmaker caused two problems: it got his teammates involved and got our bigs in foul trouble resulting in early foul shots. It would have been better to stay off of him and let him shoot away causing his legs to go on the fourth and his teammates to grow cold.

As far as game 7. I agree w/ Kobe that taking the game over in the 2nd half by scoring would not have resulted in a W. But there is huge difference between trying to get his teammates passively involved by waiting for the double team to pass out of it and attacking rim and kicking out to open teammates. It was disappointing to see him disappear in the 2nd half.

As a final note to the series. What difference would Antonio Daniels made? The decision to only offer a two year deal because of a '07 strategy looks rash in the light of the subsequent decisions by Ming and Stoudemire to extend.

In the end we were one possession away from a second round with the Clippers. For that we should be thankful and proud. (By the way, I think the Lakers could have beat the Clippers while I think the Clippers will beat the Suns. Cassells will torch the defensively challenged Nash. The Sun's defense will crumble w/o Nash playing safety with no regard to his man.)

In the off-season. Will Phil finally admit (after seeing what a speed demon like Barbosa can do) that with the new perimeter rules, that getting a big guard isn't the same priority as it was in the '80s? Would love to see a speedy (what about Speedy) guard or two on the bench.

Why is it that a Jackson coached team is powerless against the pick and roll. I mean, we don't have Shaq and Fisher to blame anymore do we? Maybe being the only team not to run a pick an roll offense means that our defense in practice is constantly practicing against the triangle - something no other team runs.

Kwame's legal trouble (unless it goes away soon) means that Mihm is virtually untradeable (at least for a small). This will severly hamper the potential to bring a solid perimeter player.

Summary.

Keepers: KB, LO, Kwame, Ronny, Socks. Mihm (only because of Kwame, too bad)

Maybe: Smush (only because he is cheap), Sasha (only because he is Kobe's mascot), Luke (I think he should try to bulk up like Harpring to try to stay in the low post). Profit - must be able to hit the open 20 footer. Von Wafer - who knows?

Good bye: Jim Jackson - there must be a few cities you haven't called home yet, time to find out. Deaven - lucky to get a 3 year deal for somewhere between the LLE and MLE. Aaron McKie - possible expiring contract package deal. Brian Cook - great spot up shooter. no defense. no rebouding. no basketball IQ. Sorry. you're no Horry, useful in the regular season - liability in the playoffs - but Milwaukee will probably want you, maybe we can get Charlie Bell.

Hellos. Wouldn't be surpised to see Kareem Rush. I say too bad...Wouldn't be bad to see Fisher back though.

We need. Speed. Perimeter defense. and Basketball IQ. Also will Kareem please take Kwame and tell him that is is embarrassing watching him trying to take lame charges against little guards - just swat the damn ball into the stands!!

Go Lakers
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

smush was GARBAGE. Get rid of cook and smush. And what happened to kobe on nash? BS!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Just wanna thank DB for the entire season's game recap thread.

Good line about the Mrs. - I can't imagine a woman from my parts putting up with the amount of time I devote to the Lakers. You're a lucky man !

I'm sad knowing that the season is over and this is the last game recap thread

Can't wait for SPL - DB if you have a chance to go please take extra notes on my boy Andrew Bynum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much for your recaps DB, for all us overseas fans who cant watch every game they are a clear account of all the important information. I feel alot more knowledgeable about the triangle offense after a season of reading your reports and then watching them play out on the court when i do get to see the odd game. Great job.
Alpha

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Thanks DB, I really appreciate your insight and dedication.

After I die, I want to come back as you.

DB, thanks from me as well! And definitly pass the well wishes on to the Mrs.

Not being able to catch a lot of the away games (only FSW, no kcal in HI)... your report is what I solely rely on in most cases. Sincerely... thank you.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I want to thank you, DB and Mrs. DB, for the great write ups this season. This team made a lot of strides and we were ten seconds and one rebound away from advancing to the second round. The future is bright and I think we have a lot of potential on this team. The only thing that disappointed me was that I didn't think we competed last night. I know we got to within nine in the second quarter, but we were never really close. I think we were demoralized after losing Game 6 in the fashion we did. I think this series was a great learning experience and they'll be better prepared the next time we're in the playoffs. I'm curious to see what moves are made in the offseason. I agree that we need an upgrade at the PG position.

PS I want to thank my wife for putting up with me. She knows that I bleed purple and gold. She actually has stayed up at times to watch the games which end around 1 AM EST.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Some comments on some legimate observations for discussion:

There was no movement on offense

** What caused this - nerves, inexperience, inability to recognize the Suns' defensive schemes (did the Suns change much outside of much more energy?)

Smush needs a psychologist
** Has any other "New York Playground Legend" collapse without a wimper?!?!?! It appears that he mentally lost it, surprising for somebody from the streets of New York. Can somebody be taught "mental toughness?!?!?!"

Really missed Profit's defensive hustle and offensive contributions off the bench.
** Accurate assessment, his contributions off the bench cuz we will still need a legimate PG

I think we're one or 2 players away from competing on the big stage. That's a testament to the job the coaching staff did this year, and (dare I say it on LG?) to the job the front office has done in reconstructing the team after Shaq opted out. One thing about a system like the tri is you don't want to make wholesale changes because of the steep learning curve. Patience!
** I agree, is JJ the answer to our starting PG - or could Mike James be the person (my suggestion)?!?!

Kwame really needs to learn rebounding from Ronny Turiaf.
** Turiaff is a rebounder, where Kwame is a very good athlete going after rebounds the best he can.

Kwame's - once he gains confidence - hands are actually spectacular. ** ** Since this is actually his first season without turmoil while filled with great coaching and support. The question will be whether he can also be a force at PF or will Mihm be playing PF - along with center?

Lamar is really the perfect sidekick for Kobe
** A partial "Yes" answer. Mark Heisler stated it correctly (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nbacol7may07,1,3020392.column) - "If Lamar Odom had gone out the way he had played the last seven weeks, I would have said that made their season worthwhile, all by itself . . . . Kobe and Lamar are both fine all-around players, and they like each other. Kobe does all he can to build Lamar up. Lamar has no problem with Kobe's being No. 1. And it still hasn't worked. They put it together for the last six weeks of the regular season and the first six games of this series. Game 6 might have been the best one Odom ever played with Bryant on the floor, Odom scoring 22 points and carrying them in the second half when Bryant struggled. Under Saturday's pressure, it all evaporated."

Phoenix made sure never to run their offensive sets against Kobe - ever. ** Agreed. Many people like Sir Charles never noticed the Kobe effect fully.

Phil Jackson - Really needs to start making better in game adjustments. ** If the players don't execute the adjustments (go to LO in the post, etc.), is PJ still at fault?
** "P&R" - they did a couple adjustments of where after the switch (i.e. Smush and Kobe switched on several plays, Kobe played Nash, etc.) - but if Smush can't funnel/force Thomas/Diaw to go one way, the double teams have no effect and left an opening for a 3-point shooter if the Suns are able to make the extra pass - which they did

Overall - a semi-successful season for the Purple and Gold
** Agreed
** They definitely more athletic players and upgrade in talent. More importantly, they need players who are able mentally tough with the ability to perform on the big stage with major players such as Kobe who DEMAND EXCELLENCE!!

fyi: Has Kwame/LO/Smush talked to the press and what were their comments
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
I didn't watch the game. I figured it would be heartache. I don't feel as bad after tonight's loss simply because I didn't watch the game. After game 6, I punched my television set after each defensive lapse which we conceeded a layup or a triple. Seeing as we gave up 60 points per half, I think my hand would be broken. It looks like there was nothing Kobe could do tonight, as it appears the whole team gave up.

Thanks DB.

I didn't either. I saw the body language on Smush in game 6 and knew no one could work miracles in 2 days. I did expect more from Odom but I felt a blowout coming and wanted to end my fan season with fonder memories. I am glad I missed it and I am doubly sorry that Raja Bell didn't choke on his own vomit. Now I am hoping that Mitch and Company will find us an actual veteran player with something left in the tank who can keep his head and make shots when we need them.
pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject:

A few comments of my own...

coaching: even withnthe great job in nurturing the young players, selling Kobe a new TEAM aproach, and a fine strategy against Phoenix, it was such a shame we didn´t try anything new for the last shot in regulation in game 6. They didn´t try anything new to stop Phoenix P&R, and also they hadn´t anything else once Phoenix adjusted to the way the Lakers were playing. Besides that, good job overall.

See you next year:

Kobe, Odom and the promising young ones (Brown, Vujacic, Turiaff, Bynum)

Nice to meet you, but I need to upgrade (or, how you´ll be back unless I can trade you):

Mihm, Walton, Parker, George

Hey, welcome home:

Profit

One last chance:

Von Wafer, Green

Sorry, the asylum is next apple:

McKie, Jackson

Overall it´s been a good season, with its ups and downs, but mostly we´ve seen a team starting to grow up, and at the end of the day, most of all finally agree that trading Shaq was the right decission, that Kupchack
it´s doing ok (at least not so bad as many have said), and that the Laker brass it´s doing its best to keep the team going at the right direction, without taking innecessary players and risks that may prove too big to overcome.

Bye 2005-2006, see you in 2006-2007
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:

DB - Thanks for all the hard work. I always read your summary and enjoy it.

A special thanks to Mrs. DB for letting us have his time.
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB once again, didn't want to read your thread initially because of the way we went down in game 7, but glad i did, it gave a good perspective of want went wrong. Its painful to lose a 3-1 series lead whether a team is experienced or not. Even being a young team, we should've still taken this series. I agree with posters here that we were probably stunned in game 6 and came out still shocked and unfocused in game 7. I wont rehash the strategy, just wanted to add a side note,

I didn't like the laker player quotes when the players were asked how they were able to beat the suns in games 2 through 4, they said things like "we're just following the coaches gameplan" or "we're just doing what coach wants" that sounded weird, like they had no fire or desire to win this series themselves, i'm not sure, but i didn't think too much of it because we we're winning the series at the time (I can't imagine Magic ever saying something like that). However I think this lack of fire manifested itself in full in game 7.

anyway, hoping for a better next season and more fire in october
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: