Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Just turned it on.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

This would be an excellent year for any team to tank. Even if you don't get the #1, you could still get a franchise player.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I still don't see Oden declaring. I would be shocked if he did.
gsrbruin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

can affalo play PG in the triangle?

Plays hard on D and has a good midrange game
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject:

This year's freshman class might be the best ever.

Just an unbelieveable group.

Oden, Durant, Budinger.....and there are many more.

I will be interested to follow this group as they grow older.
lakerskobe247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Durant is kind of overrated. Has anyone seen how skinny this kid is? If you're 6'11 you should be an athletic freak if you want to be put in the same sentence as Kevin Garnett. Until Kevin Durant puts on some bulk he won't be special in this league.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

^I'll just disagree with that.

Picture Chris Bosh with Dirk guard skills.

That's what you're getting with Durant.

He is an athletic freak, but just so perimeter oriented, you're not seeing most of it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

He is an athletic freak, but just so perimeter oriented, you're not seeing most of it.

Plus it is not like KG was some hulk coming out of high school.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Mike, considering we will most likely be drafting around 20-24 who do you like as of now that may be around then?

I'm also interested in your opinion of Brandon Rush. I remember he had pretty good hype coming out of high school. What is his strength/weakness.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers get lucky in the Lottery sometimes. Imagine Greg Oden landing on the other side of Staples.
lakerskobe247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Ok fair enough. And I think we should get Arron Aflollo, he could at least hit his jumpshots.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Great comparison, that's almost exactly what I was thinking. His game reminds me a lot of Dirks except he's way more athletic. As far as his body type, he's almost a clone on Chris Bosh. There's no doubt, this guy will be able to get his shot off against anybody in this league.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Mike, considering we will most likely be drafting around 20-24 who do you like as of now that may be around then?

I'm also interested in your opinion of Brandon Rush. I remember he had pretty good hype coming out of high school. What is his strength/weakness.

To be honest, a lot of kids haven't interested me yet... at least not for that portion in the draft.

As for Brandon Rush...

Strengths. Athletic. Good combination of height, length, strength. Solid defender who puts devoted energy into it. Solid rebounder. Doesn't have standout quickness/blow by ability. He hasn't really demonstrated it well.

Weaknesses? Attitude. Development by age. He's physically ready for the NBA but still needs more guard skills.

Worst case scenario is Devean George.

Best case is Josh Howard, though, Howard had better guard skills at that point in time.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

I hope C.Brewer or Dominic James drop to us...Mike who do you think all the franchise players are in this draft???
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Franchise players in the draft?

Greg Oden
Kevin Durant

Borderline -
Spencer Hawes
Chase Budinger
Bill Walker
Julian Wright

OJ Mayo when he finishes his 1 year.

Of course, a lot can happen, but Oden and Durant would've been top 5 last season anyway.

fogman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Two guys I like in the 20-40 range

Jermareo Davidson
6-10, 220, Sr., Alabama, DOB: 11/17/84

Good: Excellent athlete. Good leaper, great quickness at the 4. Has added a decent post game to his repertoire, including a skyhook (no, not a jumphook). Grew a perimeter game in the last year, with a nice dribble drive to his left and an improving medium-range jumper. Currently sixth in the nation at 4 bpg, highlighting his ability as a help defender. Also rotates on shooters and closes out on them well because of his length and quickness. Not foul-prone.

Bad: Lacks strength in the post. Slight frame may be difficult to add additional weight. Prior to the 2005-06 season, only weighed 200 lbs. Still gets overmatched at times when defending larger post players. On offense, has trouble recovering after being dislodged from his position. Midrange jumper still in progress, driving down his FG pct. (41.5% currently).

Situation: Davidson tested the waters two years ago but realized that he had much improvement to make. He didn't enter his name in the draft pool after his junior year because he would've been forced to enter the draft. Staying for his senior year appears to have been a sound decision, as he'll likely get a ton of TV time if, as expected, Alabama goes deep into the tourney. He surprised scouts in the last pre-draft camp as a workout player when he clearly showed the extra 20 lbs. He'll need another 15-20 to make it in the NBA. If Mitch/Phil/Jim are looking for a nice big-man project who could pay dividends 2-3 years down the road, Davidson's a good pick. I can see him developing into a good bench guy, splitting minutes at the 4 with Turiaf.

Sidebar: Davidson lost both his brother (shooting) and his girlfriend (car accident) in the last six weeks. He's shown a lot of character by continuing to play well despite this adversity, an attribute he shares with Lamar Odom.

========

Rodney Stuckey
6-4, 205, So., Eastern Washington, DOB: 4/21/86

Good: At 5th in the nation in scoring, Stuckey is one of the more prolific scorers in college ball. Solid frame coupled with great quickness has earned comparisons to Ben Gordon and Dwyane Wade. Good ball handler who has run the point at times. Fluid jumpshot with range well beyond college 3-pt line. Thick body allows him to finish well in traffic. Has the physical tools to be a good defender at the next level. Dropped 18 on Gonzaga and 31 against Washington earlier in the season.

Bad: Short for a SG, which is why many project him as a combo guard. Had back spasms in a game this season against Oregon, forcing him to sit out most of the game. Plays in the Big Sky conference, which is not known for its level of competition - numbers could be inflated as a result. Not considered a freakishly excellent athlete. Could be a real lockdown defender, but isn't yet.

Situation: Unless he transfers, he's unlikely to improve his situation much, which is why many think he'll opt for the draft this year. EW doesn't get to the big dance often, and probably won't this year unless they win their conference tourney. He could fit at the PG spot with Farmar starting provided that he picks up the offense and adjusts properly.

Sidebar: Stuckey sat out his freshman year for academic reasons, but has rebounded to become an excellent student.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Two guys I like in the 20-40 range

fogman wrote:
Jermareo Davidson
6-10, 220, Sr., Alabama, DOB: 11/17/84

Good: Excellent athlete. Good leaper, great quickness at the 4. Has added a decent post game to his repertoire, including a skyhook (no, not a jumphook). Grew a perimeter game in the last year, with a nice dribble drive to his left and an improving medium-range jumper. Currently sixth in the nation at 4 bpg, highlighting his ability as a help defender. Also rotates on shooters and closes out on them well because of his length and quickness. Not foul-prone.

Bad: Lacks strength in the post. Slight frame may be difficult to add additional weight. Prior to the 2005-06 season, only weighed 200 lbs. Still gets overmatched at times when defending larger post players. On offense, has trouble recovering after being dislodged from his position. Midrange jumper still in progress, driving down his FG pct. (41.5% currently).

Situation: Davidson tested the waters two years ago but realized that he had much improvement to make. He didn't enter his name in the draft pool after his junior year because he would've been forced to enter the draft. Staying for his senior year appears to have been a sound decision, as he'll likely get a ton of TV time if, as expected, Alabama goes deep into the tourney. He surprised scouts in the last pre-draft camp as a workout player when he clearly showed the extra 20 lbs. He'll need another 15-20 to make it in the NBA. If Mitch/Phil/Jim are looking for a nice big-man project who could pay dividends 2-3 years down the road, Davidson's a good pick. I can see him developing into a good bench guy, splitting minutes at the 4 with Turiaf.

Sidebar: Davidson lost both his brother (shooting) and his girlfriend (car accident) in the last six weeks. He's shown a lot of character by continuing to play well despite this adversity, an attribute he shares with Lamar Odom.

========

Rodney Stuckey
6-4, 205, So., Eastern Washington, DOB: 4/21/86

Good: At 5th in the nation in scoring, Stuckey is one of the more prolific scorers in college ball. Solid frame coupled with great quickness has earned comparisons to Ben Gordon and Dwyane Wade. Good ball handler who has run the point at times. Fluid jumpshot with range well beyond college 3-pt line. Thick body allows him to finish well in traffic. Has the physical tools to be a good defender at the next level. Dropped 18 on Gonzaga and 31 against Washington earlier in the season.

Bad: Short for a SG, which is why many project him as a combo guard. Had back spasms in a game this season against Oregon, forcing him to sit out most of the game. Plays in the Big Sky conference, which is not known for its level of competition - numbers could be inflated as a result. Not considered a freakishly excellent athlete. Could be a real lockdown defender, but isn't yet.

Situation: Unless he transfers, he's unlikely to improve his situation much, which is why many think he'll opt for the draft this year. EW doesn't get to the big dance often, and probably won't this year unless they win their conference tourney. He could fit at the PG spot with Farmar starting provided that he picks up the offense and adjusts properly.

Sidebar: Stuckey sat out his freshman year for academic reasons, but has rebounded to become an excellent student.

Welcome to the board, excellent 1st post.

Both those guys sound good to me!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers are playing well enough to just miss the Playoffs, but their Lottery pick won't be good if they keep this up.
fREaK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
To be honest, a lot of kids haven't interested me yet... at least not for that portion in the draft.

As for Brandon Rush...

Strengths. Athletic. Good combination of height, length, strength. Solid defender who puts devoted energy into it. Solid rebounder. Doesn't have standout quickness/blow by ability. He hasn't really demonstrated it well.

Weaknesses? Attitude. Development by age. He's physically ready for the NBA but still needs more guard skills.

Worst case scenario is Devean George.

Best case is Josh Howard, though, Howard had better guard skills at that point in time.
Mike what do you think of Reyshawn Terry for the Lakers?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Reyshawn Terry.

Strengths. Athletic. Not elite, but you see good quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Committed effort on both ends of the floor. Improved 3pt. shot. Good rebounder. Good defender.

Weaknesses. Guard skills. This isn't a guy who drives well in both directinos. He has a hard to creating his own shot.

Name that comes to mind is Stephen Jackson. Better attitude and work ethic. Less polished perimeter game.

The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Reyshawn Terry.

Strengths. Athletic. Not elite, but you see good quickness, speed, explosiveness, etc. Committed effort on both ends of the floor. Improved 3pt. shot. Good rebounder. Good defender.

Weaknesses. Guard skills. This isn't a guy who drives well in both directinos. He has a hard to creating his own shot.

Name that comes to mind is Stephen Jackson. Better attitude and work ethic. Less polished perimeter game.

He's actually one of those type of players who may do better in the NBA than he did in college. He's not very aggressive, but can be if the situation calls for it. He's on a very talented team and tends to dissapear sometimes, although it doesn't really hurt the team considering who his teammates are. Great athleticism and a nice stroke. Would love to get him in the second round.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject:

That Bobcats pick might be a way to steal one in the second round again. The Lakers may have improved that pick by losing to Memphis. Memphis only had 8 wins, but now they have 9, which is the same as the Bobcats and the Sixers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:

He's actually one of those type of players who may do better in the NBA than he did in college. He's not very aggressive, but can be if the situation calls for it. He's on a very talented team and tends to dissapear sometimes, although it doesn't really hurt the team considering who his teammates are. Great athleticism and a nice stroke. Would love to get him in the second round.

But here's the thing. Prior to UNC recruiting a serious draft class, he was streaky and inconsistent as a junior.

My thing is, he's not always aggressive attacking the basket... despite the strength and athleticism.

I think there are better options in the 2nd round.

TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike -

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean by "guard skills?" Also, next time you're bored as hell, I think you should create a Dictionary/FAQ on your terminology. It took me forever to understand what you were referring to when you used the "directional quickness" comment a few years back.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Apologies. I've been on LG forever and got used to fans reading my posts and understanding what I mean.

Guard skills.

Basically, point guard skills; Ball-handling, Passing, Perimeter shooting. The shorter a player actually is, the more requisite guard skill level they actually need to be an effective NBA player.

As you progress from PG -> SG -> SF -> PF -> C, by position, the amount of guard skills tend to decrease. Of course there are a few exceptions to the rule, KG, Nowitzki, etc., but for the most part, PFs have limited ball-handling, passing, and perimeter shooting abilities.

As for making a FAQ/Dictionary, I use the terms often, so I'm not sure which words or phrases need to be defined.

I don't mind if you ask or PM me.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: