NUGGETS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/26 -- Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

fifth_rune wrote:
If, and this is a big IF, Drew develops to starter quality C in the next year, does anyone think there's a chance we can still salvage Kwame at the 4 or will we have paid 9 mil for a backup 4/5?

Following the LakersGround cannon of "Accentuate the Negative!" I see.

Maybe Kwame meshes better with Andrew.

And there are things in the NBA called "trades".

Mabe they could trade Kwame for a player that fits better.

It's always a good thing to have a lot of good players.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: NUGGETS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/26 -- Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

PopcornMachine wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Bynum ... He destroyed Nene and company in the paint early in the game. ...

How many people thought they'd ever hear that?

Some have talked about Nene like he's the next great Big.

Reminder; it's just one preseason game, and there will be painful moments ahead.

But if they just let this kid play, I have no doubt he will grow into something very, very special.

Absolutely right. People should remember, as good as Kobe was when he came in the league, he really had his breakout in his third year. Bynum is younger, less experienced, still growing, and huge. Wait till he gets his man body and strength and conditioning. We're growing a monster, folks.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
It was a bit irritating that certain players wouldn't get him the basketball when he was clearly in good position

Don't beat around the bush, Sean. Just tell it like Bynum did.

Sasha you MF'er get Bynum the (bleep) ball.

DB - Yeah no doubt Kwame's biggest impact has been on man D. Garnett, Yao, Duncan. He's the best power defender we have. For that reason alone I think the trade Kwame threads are too premature.

I remember Mihm's game from 2 years ago. However I kinda never got that feeling from Mihm that I do Bynum when he plays well. Maybe it's the size and power of Bynum but some of the moves he had on Nene (who he's a beast in his own right) were flat out dominating. Never got that feeling from Mihm. Then there's the passing/court vision ....

Ok I will stop. Rambling on like an excited homer This display by Bynum made my preseason .....

You and I and several others have been boosting Bynum from the start. Maybe this will stop the trade Bynum for ( fill in the blank) crap. I've got the feeling the bandwagon is going to fill up pretty fast now.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:

LOL. Last time I post about how much impact I think Farmar will have and I get slammed for being unrealistically optimistic. This time I try to temper that with an 'if' and now I'm too negative? I can't win.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sweet.

Words can not describe how much fun it was watching Bynum dominate inside. The fact that he's talking about D afterwards shows how he thinks about what he did wrong after each game - even the good one's - looking to always improve.

Have to say it .... Sky's the limit.

DB - How would you compare this Bynum game from the best one's Mihm and Kwame have given us in the past year?

No, wolf, you're not getting into it with him AGAIN, are you?

Thanks for the recap, DB. I'm expecting Bynum may have some up and down nights during the first 20 games -- not trying to hate, but the kid's only NINETEEN, give him some slack, folks! -- but this could be a classic "blessing in disguise" scenario.

MIM

Yeah, he has to have ups and downs. There's really no way any fan should expect him to be consistent. He's a teenager who will be getting his first real minutes. If he brings consistency, that'll be amazing, but I'm expecting great moments, some great games, some foolish decisions, some bad games - lots of views into his talent regardless.

I am so high on this kid and it's awesome to see him growing by leaps and bounds.

The thing about Bynum that has impressed me the most this preseason has been his poise. Even if he's not quite ready to put up 20 and 10, it doesn't look like he's going to be a liability (due to his youth and inexperience) at all. I also love the fact that he is extremely patient in the post. I can't believe that there are actually some posters who've criticized Bynum for reading the defense before scoring or passing out of the post (ahem...magic_bryant). It's uncanny to see such patience in the post from such a young player.

I didn't criticize him for passing out of the post. I criticized him for thinking far too long. He does that far too often. Often times, he misses plays that HE could be making due to the constant standing around and waiting. DB has even mentioned that Bynum holds onto the ball too long at times. It's a weakness that he has to fix.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sweet.

Words can not describe how much fun it was watching Bynum dominate inside. The fact that he's talking about D afterwards shows how he thinks about what he did wrong after each game - even the good one's - looking to always improve.

Have to say it .... Sky's the limit.

DB - How would you compare this Bynum game from the best one's Mihm and Kwame have given us in the past year?

No, wolf, you're not getting into it with him AGAIN, are you?

Thanks for the recap, DB. I'm expecting Bynum may have some up and down nights during the first 20 games -- not trying to hate, but the kid's only NINETEEN, give him some slack, folks! -- but this could be a classic "blessing in disguise" scenario.

MIM

Yeah, he has to have ups and downs. There's really no way any fan should expect him to be consistent. He's a teenager who will be getting his first real minutes. If he brings consistency, that'll be amazing, but I'm expecting great moments, some great games, some foolish decisions, some bad games - lots of views into his talent regardless.

I am so high on this kid and it's awesome to see him growing by leaps and bounds.

The thing about Bynum that has impressed me the most this preseason has been his poise. Even if he's not quite ready to put up 20 and 10, it doesn't look like he's going to be a liability (due to his youth and inexperience) at all. I also love the fact that he is extremely patient in the post. I can't believe that there are actually some posters who've criticized Bynum for reading the defense before scoring or passing out of the post (ahem...magic_bryant). It's uncanny to see such patience in the post from such a young player.

I didn't criticize him for passing out of the post. I criticized him for thinking far too long. He does that far too often. Often times, he misses plays that HE could be making due to the constant standing around and waiting. DB has even mentioned that Bynum holds onto the ball too long at times. It's a weakness that he has to fix.

You see a guy holding on to the ball too long while I see a guy who's patient enough to read the defense before committing himself on offense. At any rate, I do agree that he'll have to make quicker decisions with the ball because he's not always going to have upwards of 10 seconds to work in the post. However, considering the fact that most bigs rush things when they're in the post, I'd say that Bynum's tendency to hold on to the ball and read the defense is a minor and easily correctable flaw.

Last edited by RCS926 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
DB has even mentioned that Bynum holds onto the ball too long at times. It's a weakness that he has to fix.

I did? I don't recall that ever being a concern I've had. If I did, it may have been referencing one or two plays maybe with the shotclock low, not a flaw in his game. I've always been pleased with Bynum's poise, it's something he had even last year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

^
Yeah I recall that DB.

I read you've said that a few times Bynum has look confused as what to do - especially when he's having an off night. However with the more confidence he's gained in the last few weeks, this has not been an issue at all.

The kid's passing instincts are good for his age. He's a "thinker" but that's alot better than a brain dead player who just relies solely on making things up as they go along. What Bynum tries to do is think of his moves before he actually just applies them. The process was alot slower last season than now. Why? Now he goes into his spots quicker and decides on a mover quicker.

With experience that execution should come natural and he will know his spots beautifully.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Probably misunderstood ya, DB. You probably were talking about one or two plays.

Nonetheless, I think he does hold the ball a bit too long surveying the floor. It is easily correctable, if he and the coaching staff see it as a problem.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

fifth_rune wrote:
Quote:

LOL. Last time I post about how much impact I think Farmar will have and I get slammed for being unrealistically optimistic. This time I try to temper that with an 'if' and now I'm too negative? I can't win.

That's not the negatvie i was talking about.

It't the main theme your post...wasting 9mil on Kwame..remember that part?

Oh, and hoping other players get injured so Farmar can play more is not my idea of being positive.

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
DB has even mentioned that Bynum holds onto the ball too long at times. It's a weakness that he has to fix.
I did? I don't recall that ever being a concern I've had. If I did, it may have been referencing one or two plays maybe with the shotclock low, not a flaw in his game. I've always been pleased with Bynum's poise, it's something he had even last year.
Observing his tangible growth (as noted in previous posts) to be the center that the Lakers need, how minutes can we realistically expect Bynum to play per game - 20 minutes, 25 minutes, 30 minutes - even thinking about Bynum playing more minutes would seem to be unrealistic.
An6eLoLG
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Here are the top performers of the game according to Yahoo. This shot appears on the Yahoo box scores after the game. Melo's pic is a recurring one here. Let's hope Andrew's becomes one as well.

[IMG]http://img158.imagevenue.com/loc308/th_89374_Bynum_TOPperformer2_122_308lo.jpg[/IMG]

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
"He got the ball picked from behind not paying attention and there was no Laker communication (I could hear Chicky yelling from the heavens on that one)."

This is what pisses me off more than anything. Communication is the EASIEST thing to do on a basketball court (or any team sport). All you have to do, is open your mouth and inform your teammates of what's going on around them, that they may not see. You look at EVERY championship team and communication on the floor, is a huge plus in their favor.

I would sit guys on the bench, for crap like that... and tell them... "If you can't help your teammates, then you don't have any business being on the court". I don't care who it is.

That part of the game (like stealing bases in baseball?) seems to have gone away.

Most players these days rely on sheer talent and have poor game instincts, that is what made the 80s Celtics so good, every guy on that team (and believe me, I hated them) knew the value of a possesion, knew how to enter the ball into the post, knew how to run an offense, knew how to play team defense, knew how to win basically.

If you can't call out picks or provide help verbally while on the court, I agree you should be on the bench no matter who you are.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Didn't someone say I was loco a few games ago for thinking Bynum will be a better offensive player than Curry by next season? Once he adds more power to his game, and more repetitions and more PT to work on his finesse game...he's going to cause a lot of teams problems.

Posted by RYZ: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 am
Quote:
BTW: Do you really think Bynum will be as developed offensively as Curry within a year? That sounds a tad optimistic to me. Don't get me wrong, I see the kid's progress and would take him a million times before Curry, but I just don't see that type of refinement coming within the next 12 months.

Didn't quite call you crazy, but yessir, you called it. Of course you never said he would be Kevin freaking McHale by the end of preseason!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

Speaking of the McHale-like up and under... what makes that move by Bynum even more potent is that one of his key moves is to turn to the middle of the lane on you and hit that short jumper. Guys are going to really be wary of that jumper in time and try to sit on it a little more. That's only setting them up for the counter up and under. The other nice thing about that move was the quick fake to his left before he turned right into the lane. This gets the defender trying to recover a little harder and that sets them up even more for the up and under. Very nice.

The kid is developing some serious weapons...just needs some time to polish them up.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Speaking of the McHale-like up and under... what makes that move by Bynum even more potent is that one of his key moves is to turn to the middle of the lane on you and hit that short jumper. Guys are going to really be wary of that jumper in time and try to sit on it a little more. That's only setting them up for the counter up and under. The other nice thing about that move was the quick fake to his left before he turned right into the lane. This gets the defender trying to recover a little harder and that sets them up even more for the up and under. Very nice.

The kid is developing some serious weapons...just needs some time to polish them up.

Beyond that - he made the move with intent. It didn't just happen. The first two games he was scoring and feeling his way out. Against the Nuggets he went out with the purpose to dominate and had no doubt about it being done.

Very impressive.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:

One thing I noticed about Bynum is that he's a lot more hesitant to leave his man to help out the guards than last season(when he was very aggressive in contesting guards and that's how we got a glimpse of his wingspan.) This goes back to the latter part of the season when Bynum's man would slip in and catch the ball from the guard for a dunk and it seemed to have left an imprint on his mind.

I remember a time when Phil criticized Shaq for not leaving his man, even at the cost of the guard getting the layup, because fans were criticizing him for leaving his man for so many jumpers the games before. Bynum cannot think this way. He has to aggressively go after the guards, and then try to recover. Most guards are shoot first nowaday anyway, so doubling them won't necessary mean that they can find his man.

Basically, just be more active.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: