Car question: so I got Sirius for Christmas...UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Car question: so I got Sirius for Christmas...UPDATE

I know there are other Sirius threads out there, but I had a more specific question for you car people on here.

I received a portable Sirius unit for Christmas. It comes with the car kit. I can listen to it in my car via an FM transmitter, but it sounds crappy. I also have the option to hook it up to my car with hard wires, but I know nothing about this and don't have the experience to do it myself. If I could get the dash face plate off, I would, but I can't, so I won't.

I have a Mazda 6, and the stereo that comes with it is not compatible with anything, it seems.

I took it to a car audio place, and they recommended either an FM modulator, which I have heard before, but everyone I go to says that it sounds horrible if I go that way.

The other option is buying some sort of aux box that I can hook up to, and it sounds OK, but we are not sure yet if it is compatible with my car. If it does, the thing is like $200 plus labor (about $45). I will go elsewhere and check out what I can do, and also go to Best Buy since the unit was purchased from there. But I'd prefer going to one of these audio stores that specialize in this sort of thing.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Does anyone else have any other options I can look into, or am I SOL?

I'd like to have this thing work so I can listen to it on long car drives, especially when I go on road trips.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 20,000 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PWiddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

i hvae mine hooked up to an alpine head unit i got from BB installed for like 180. it hooks into the back of that. For a relatively cheap solution I love it. 9856 is the model # i believe.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject:

do you have an 04? The 05's have sirius built in....i'm in the same boat, have the 04...no Sirius (SAT) button hookup..however, there is a MD (minidisc) button....hopefully that is an RCA output....will probably cost like 70 bucks to have someone professionally install it correctly.....maybe a little more......

let me know if you figure something out...i do not want to us FM modulators as they are teh suck.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
do you have an 04? The 05's have sirius built in....i'm in the same boat, have the 04...no Sirius (SAT) button hookup..however, there is a MD (minidisc) button....hopefully that is an RCA output....will probably cost like 70 bucks to have someone professionally install it correctly.....maybe a little more......

let me know if you figure something out...i do not want to us FM modulators as they are teh suck.

I have been checking, and I can't find anything. I have an 04, and any auxillary adapter that is out there on the market will not fit an 04 Mazda.

I've tried contacting Mazda about getting specs for the factory-installed stereo, but have not heard back yet. I do have an extra button for the minidisc, but the few car audio places I have gone have told me they can't do anything with it. I will call a Mazda dealer and see what else they can do that an audio store cannot.

If I can't do anything, I will have to go with the FM modulator, because there is nothing else I can do for now.

When I contact Mazda, I will let you know what else I find out about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

yikes..that sucks that there's no RCAs or whatever for that minidisc.....who the hell uses minidiscs?????

There's a place the mazda dealer reco'd for satellite radio by me, when I get back to LA I'll check it out and see what options are available....i don't want to change the factory stereo since its easy to use and an aftermarket unit would look ugly....i haven't even dropped my amp/subs into my car yet!
Kobe8LG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Encina1, you should check out the siriusbackstage.com forums. Its a sirius user forum, they have install threads for different car models, and really knowledgeable people. I installed my sirius unit via an aux connection my sony hu had, and hard wired it. Its great, but you should check that site out, Here's a thread about a sportster installed in a mazda 6: SiriusBackstage
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

you need to get any car radio with the aux in the front of the car radio. i have sirius too, but im too cheap to buy a different car radio. So, i just listern to it with satic sound.
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

By the way, hey now. you joined the revolution.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

For the car, I just use the FM Transmitter built into the Sirius unit. I didn't get into all the hard wiring.

I haven't had any major reception problems - but every once in a while, the FM station I use gets a little staticy, but I just change the frequency (on both the radio and on the Sirius unit) and it's all good.

By the way - Channel 127 (NBA) is da ish!

So is Channel 104 (Raw Dog stand-up comedy)!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

I have XM and I use the FM Transmitter... to get around the static issue (only happened when I was in Philly or in North Jersey/NYC,.... too many 'regular radio stations' to find an 'open/not used' frequency)... I removed the antenna on the truck (explorer sport). Between XM and my iPod, I never listen to 'regular radio', and best of all, no more static.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

oh...never thought of taking off the antenna....maybe I'll try that..i have an ipod fm tuner....
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

remove the antenna? Brilliant!

Thanks for the suggestion, Tach.

Chef, here is what I have found out. I passed by a Mazda dealership, and I was told even Mazda doesn't do anything with the stereo. It comes straight from Royal Radio. If I did want to use an Aux adapter, it would disable a unit already installed (most likely the 6-disc CD changer).

The alternative is to buy a whole new unit that comes with an Aux jack on the front (or back), and that would cost me the price of the unit. But because of the way the Mazda is designed, I would have to buy a whole new face plate for the car. Those cost about $165 or so. I don't think it is worth it.

So now I am stuck with the FM transmitter.

But Tach's suggestion is a good one.

Tach, the radio will get the feed from the FM transmitter, but not from FM stations, and that is it, right? There won't be any other side effects?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
remove the antenna? Brilliant!

Thanks for the suggestion, Tach.

Chef, here is what I have found out. I passed by a Mazda dealership, and I was told even Mazda doesn't do anything with the stereo. It comes straight from Royal Radio. If I did want to use an Aux adapter, it would disable a unit already installed (most likely the 6-disc CD changer).

The alternative is to buy a whole new unit that comes with an Aux jack on the front (or back), and that would cost me the price of the unit. But because of the way the Mazda is designed, I would have to buy a whole new face plate for the car. Those cost about $165 or so. I don't think it is worth it.

So now I am stuck with the FM transmitter.

But Tach's suggestion is a good one.

Tach, the radio will get the feed from the FM transmitter, but not from FM stations, and that is it, right? There won't be any other side effects?
Nope... not that I noticed. I did the same with the wifey's truck... worked like a charm. And yes, the FM transmitter should still work (on my XM device, the FM transmitter is so strong, that I can listen to XM, via the car, on any stereo/radio in my house).

If you car is like mine (does not have power antenna)... try unscrewing and remove the antenna first... If you have success and are handy, disconnect the antenna wire from the car stereo all together.

Let me know how it goes...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

Well I got into the stereo, unplugged the antenna, turned on the Sirius and FM transmitter, and nothing happened, just static. I plugged the antenna back in and voila, the Sirius came through. The antenna needs to be in for the FM transmitter to work.

So that leaves me a few choices:

1 - deal with it
2 - Buy a tape player from Mazda and go through that to listen to anything
(problem with this is that I don't know if installing this will need to de-install the CD player)
3 - Buy a whole new system that allows me to plug straight into the radio (problem with this is that I will then need to buy a whole new face plate, and those can be pricey)

For now, I will go with option 1, and then look to see what I want to do instead. A new radio from Best Buy I can directly plug into is about $100, plus installation. The face plate is about $160 or so. I will keep looking to see what else I can do.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Well I got into the stereo, unplugged the antenna, turned on the Sirius and FM transmitter, and nothing happened, just static. I plugged the antenna back in and voila, the Sirius came through. The antenna needs to be in for the FM transmitter to work.

1 - deal with it
(problem with this is that I don't know if installing this will need to de-install the CD player)
3 - Buy a whole new system that allows me to plug straight into the radio (problem with this is that I will then need to buy a whole new face plate, and those can be pricey)

For now, I will go with option 1, and then look to see what I want to do instead. A new radio from Best Buy I can directly plug into is about $100, plus installation. The face plate is about $160 or so. I will keep looking to see what else I can do.

Sorry dude...
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

for the fm transmitter, i use station 101.5. in the mornings it works okay. then by late afternoon, the static is so strong, you cant hear anything. So, im asking, what station do you use for the transmitter?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

rak_90046 wrote:
for the fm transmitter, i use station 101.5. in the mornings it works okay. then by late afternoon, the static is so strong, you cant hear anything. So, im asking, what station do you use for the transmitter?

If you are asking me, I am in MI, so whatever I use will be different. Currently I am using 95.9, but not sure that will do you any good.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

1 - deal with it

I think they meant disconnect the radio antenna on the rear windshield so it doesn't receive radio waves from other sources???? dunno.....i'm gonna try that out......

the other problem is that I use the stereo controls on my steering wheel and would hate to not have that option anymore if I change out the stereo...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
encina1 wrote:

1 - deal with it

I think they meant disconnect the radio antenna on the rear windshield so it doesn't receive radio waves from other sources???? dunno.....i'm gonna try that out......

the other problem is that I use the stereo controls on my steering wheel and would hate to not have that option anymore if I change out the stereo...

Those were my same thoughts. I don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. I won't be able to change the stations or tracks, but at least the volume can be controlled.

My girlfriend has a tape deck in her car, so I am going to try an experiment today. I will move my Sirius to her car and try to play it through the tape deck and see how it turns out. If that does work, then I may just order the tape deck for the Mazda, as there is a slot for it already in my car.

If that works, then it will mean I can also play other MP3 players through my car. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
encina1 wrote:

1 - deal with it

You can't disconnect the antenna and use the FM transmitter. It sends the signal to your radio through, you guessed it, the antenna.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:

^^ that is what I found when I disconnected the antenna from the stereo. No connection. I did disconnect the antenna from the car (outside), but I still got reception, and just as strong.

I tried the Sirius on my girl's car through the tape deck, and it sounded great. No static, no interference. While pricey, I will buy the tape deck for my car and play everything through there.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and had suggestions for me.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and I should add, I am still not sure if adding the tape deck can be done independently of everything else, or if the design of the factory stereo will mean that installing a tape deck means the CD player will have to be de-activated. Once I know this, I will post and let everyone know what happens.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:

update?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
update?

Been too lazy to order the tape deck yet, but it should work. I'll let you know when it comes in and I get it all installed.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: