Any body thrilled about draft options this year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KOBISDAD08
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Any body thrilled about draft options this year?

My hobby is scouting for the Lakers, I have been doing this since I was 19yr old,(currently 32 yrs). I'm not skilled enough to start my own website dedicated to my passion. If I did it would be called "Do it Mitch!!!". I would perform all kinds of transactions and show the pros to the transaction, then have a fan poll with results and feed back.
Anyway, in scouting this years draft I have comprised an early list of possible canidates to fill point guard and pf/c slots. All though it is my opinion that where we are likley to pick there is no one who could provide immediate help or help in the near future. Knowing that the draft is a gamble my pick would be to make the safest move and trade the pick, in a package for a inexpensive veteran and a second round pick(this is my point of view considering the current crop of talent in line to enter the draft).
My top 5 for potential "fits", as the current mock drafts stand are as follows:
A. Aaron Grey from Pitt
I think this kid is versitle enough to be legimate backup center on this team. The dream of a versitile 3 man rotation at center could be realized with this pick. My opinion is that he plays his first year equal to Andrew's play this year
B. Rudy Fernandez from Spain
I wanted Rudy last year, in short there is a constant comparison to Manu Ginobili. The difference I find is a lack of confidence aganst pro players, as was seen this summer. While he was a very,very solid role player(Moe Evans solid) on the Spanish Nation team, he is a uber star in spain on his team. He is an all around talent that need the right people around him to build his confedence and with the way Bean is taking players under his wing Rudy is perfect fit to swing from 3 postions pg/sg/sf when the sparkplugs come off the bench
C. Tyler Hansboro from North Carolina
If he is here there is no question that Mitch will take him, even though my next canidate is probably the most perfect fit. Tyler has a couple of things that make him an ideal pick for "THIS", team an extremley hard work ethic, great basketball intelect,soft hands, great pssing abilty and the biggest, is that Tyler adapts to talent....Major atribute.
D. Tiago Spliter from Brazil
Main reason to get him is so that Phoenix or Dallas doesn't, if he actually comes over and works out he would be the biggest catch in this draft behind the fab freshman. The problem is a probable expensive buyout, now for a lottery team that is a payout on top a million or so dollars for a player that is not your 1st or 2nd go to guy. Say for instance he was to go Charolette; his buyout and salary would be more than any player on the team. But if he slids down to L.A. because of this we're talkin about a salary of about $450,000 or so. But listen outside of Kevin Durant he is the most NBA ready, he plays that kind of comp regularly, and like Hansboro he has alwys played with talent. He could legitimly make Kwame expendable, start at the pf and move Lamar to the sf, this is dependent upon his grasp of english. Watch Basketball international on NBA TV to see.
E. D.J. Strawberry= Maryland
Maryland guards do fairly well in the pros. Strawberry is a very good defensive player whose acclaim is on the defensive end. The knock is actual size, but that may also be the benifite; Strawberry can get down and harrass smaller quick guards. He moves his feet very well and is Jonny on the spot on the offensive end. Though their little if any playing time if he is drafted, his contribution will be in practice and putting pressure on current point guards to step up their defensive play. He could be a dark horse and make Sasha and Smush (if he re-signs) expendable in trade talks .

I know a lot of you are from Cali and are looking for the Lakers to go back to the well and target a player from UCLA but to be honest with you the only palyer who fits the team is Luc Richard, and their is no need in drafting a Defensive player with no offensive game at the Sf when we just gave dough to Vlad. There are some decent prospects from the west side of college basketball, like Fazekas, Ivan Radenovic, and Nic Young is good but Pruit is a better fit, neither are that bright so the triangle might be a bit difficult.
The thing too remember is with this team chemistry,contribution and work ethic is key to the pick. Gone are the days when athleticsem will get you over, if last years drafting of Jordan Farmer over the probable pick of James White has shown us anything
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I would love Hansboro, but I dont think there is any way we could get him without moving up. Maybe Mckie, Shammond, Mihm, and a 1st for someone elses' first round draft pick?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any body thrilled about draft options this year?

KOBISDAD08 wrote:

D. Tiago Spliter from Brazil
[color=orange]Main reason to get him is so that Phoenix or Dallas doesn't, if he actually comes over and works out he would be the biggest catch in this draft behind the fab freshman. The problem is a probable expensive buyout, now for a lottery team that is a payout on top a million or so dollars for a player that is not your 1st or 2nd go to guy. Say for instance he was to go Charolette; his buyout and salary would be more than any player on the team. But if he slids down to L.A. because of this we're talkin about a salary of about $450,000 or so. But listen outside of Kevin Durant he is the most NBA ready, he plays that kind of comp regularly, and like Hansboro he has alwys played with talent. He could legitimly make Kwame expendable, start at the pf and move Lamar to the sf, this is dependent upon his grasp of english. Watch Basketball international on NBA TV to see.

Well, I watch Splitter a lot, and Im not sure he is as talented as people say.

His mid-range shot is way below average, he plays with the National Team since he was 16 and his shot has barely changed at all.

He is a very poor shot blocker, and an overall defender.

He is a good rebounder, and scores well in the post, cant make power moves.

He has to develop his shot, or he'll have to be a NBA Center, and that would definitely not work out for him, cuz he is also pretty soft, not known for being a hustler and doesnt play with much passion.

If I were to advocate for a Brazilian to enter the NBA, itd definitely be Marcelo Huertas, but I dont know when he plans to declare.

From this year's draft class, Id really like Alex Ajinca, he is 7'1 and has a 7-4 wingspan, shoots the ball extremely well, just needs to bulk up a little bit. His shot blocking and shooting ability, paired with Bynum's post moves that Kareem is teaching, rebounding and shot blocking, would make em a crazy Twin Towers front line, just em both could average 5+bpg.
lakerskobe247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Are you the next HBA?
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Anyone know about Alando Tucker? he seems to be a two way player,who can guard the perimeter, and has a high basketball IQ, i think he is what the lakers should go for this draft
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any body thrilled about draft options this year?

KOBISDAD08 wrote:

I know a lot of you are from Cali and are looking for the Lakers to go back to the well and target a player from UCLA but to be honest with you the only palyer who fits the team is Luc Richard, and their is no need in drafting a Defensive player with no offensive game at the Sf when we just gave dough to Vlad.

You lost all your supposed reputation with this. Why would signing Vlad leave no room for a defensive player? You think either he or Luke plays defense?
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Corey Brewer of Florida
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers need defensive minded players. A strong, athletic swingman type who can match up with the Josh Howard and Marion. The guy doesn't need to have much of an offensive game but just the physical tool and mindset to be a hardnosed defender.
yellowledbetter
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:

i think Mbah Moute can be a more athletic Eduardo Najera type in the pros.

Corey Brewer is a guy im a huge fan of. He reminds me of Josh Howard. one of those guys that can do it all if he develops. I don't know that he'll be around when we pick though.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
I think the Lakers need defensive minded players. A strong, athletic swingman type who can match up with the Josh Howard and Marion. The guy doesn't need to have much of an offensive game but just the physical tool and mindset to be a hardnosed defender.

You mean someone in the mold of Rick Fox/Bruce Bowen/Shane Battier?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Al Horford would be ideal but we'd have to move up.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I want the Lakers to draft Arron Affalo.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject:

If we didn't already draft Farmar I would consider drafting Nick Young to play point for us in the Tri. I would still draft him if he's still there as a back up SG for Kobe. I love his game and think he will be a steal if we could get him in the late first.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I would love Hansboro, but I dont think there is any way we could get him without moving up. Maybe Mckie, Shammond, Mihm, and a 1st for someone elses' first round draft pick?

I completely disagree... Hansboro is not high on any draft board. He has some good qualities but lacks the athleticism and outside game to make him a high pick. We could get him where we are... late in the first round.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject:

yellowledbetter wrote:
i think Mbah Moute can be a more athletic Eduardo Najera type in the pros.

Corey Brewer is a guy im a huge fan of. He reminds me of Josh Howard. one of those guys that can do it all if he develops. I don't know that he'll be around when we pick though.

I would shat my pants if Corey Brewer fell to us. He's probably my favorite prospect for the Lakers to draft not counting the top prospects like Durant and Oden. If we can't get Brewer, which we most likley won't, I would like Mbah a Moute. He's a great defender/energy guy, and I think his jumpshot is really underrated. Just cause he isn't very aggresive on the offensive end doesn't necesarilly mean that he he has no offensive game.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

I completely disagree... Hansboro is not high on any draft board. He has some good qualities but lacks the athleticism and outside game to make him a high pick. We could get him where we are... late in the first round.

Hansboro was a potential lottery pick last year...but he's most likley a late first rounder this year. Reminds me of Nick Collison.
SteveMachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Corey Brewer or Alando Tucker.
ZerglingsRUS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
cvballa wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

Hansboro was a potential lottery pick last year...but he's most likley a late first rounder this year. Reminds me of Nick Collison.

Hansboro reminds me of a former Laker, Mark Madsen, one who can dominate college players but would struggle to do anything offensively in the NBA. I would not waste a first rounder on this guy, a second maybe.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:
Anyone know about Alando Tucker? he seems to be a two way player,who can guard the perimeter, and has a high basketball IQ, i think he is what the lakers should go for this draft

well if the team were to draft today & barring any trades you just might get your wish

link: http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:

well if the team were to draft today & barring any trades you just might get your wish

link: http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
jacexface
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

what do u guys think about nick young from usc? i think he will be the player that replaces mo evans eventually. Mo evans will probably get a bigger contract after next season and take his leave. Nick Young has been playing great lately and is also from LA. This guy can be our small forward/sg guy that we need. He's an amazing rebounder but he tends to be a streaky shooter.

Another thing is that he's friends with Jordan Farmar. They've been competing since they were little. Hell, Nick Young only chose USC because he could go against Jordan Farmar when he chose UCLA. I think they would bring out the best in each other in practice and in games.

My dream draft:

Draft Nick Young in the first round and a BIG in the second round. maybe someone like Marc Gasol.

i'd also love for us to be able to get a guy like Corey Brewer or Brandon Rush. (but this is kind of scary because of Kareem Rush) although I do think Brandon Rush has much more potential.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any body thrilled about draft options this year?

KOBISDAD08 wrote:

E. D.J. Strawberry= Maryland
Maryland guards do fairly well in the pros. Strawberry is a very good defensive player whose acclaim is on the defensive end. The knock is actual size, but that may also be the benifite; Strawberry can get down and harrass smaller quick guards. He moves his feet very well and is Jonny on the spot on the offensive end. Though their little if any playing time if he is drafted, his contribution will be in practice and putting pressure on current point guards to step up their defensive play. He could be a dark horse and make Sasha and Smush (if he re-signs) expendable in trade talks .

I know a lot of you are from Cali and are looking for the Lakers to go back to the well and target a player from UCLA but to be honest with you the only palyer who fits the team is Luc Richard, Nic Young is good but Pruit is a better fit, neither are that bright so the triangle might be a bit difficult.

Those are the only guys I like on your list.

Strawberry is a second rounder. Probalby a reach with our Bobcat 2nd but probably gone by Lakers own 2nd.

I love Luc Richard and would use our 1st on him.

I like Young and Pruit but both have said they will be back to make a run at a National Championship with OJ Mayo.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject:

Corey Brewer is my ideal (realistic) pick, but I think he goes somewhere in the teens, and the Lakers won't be up that high barring a trade. No way Hansboro is still there when the Lakers pick, barring the same scenario as above. Mbah a Moute would be a nice pick if he's still there when the Lakers are up. You have chemistry with Jordan Farmar since they were teammates, which will help him transition. If the Lakers don't end up using a Bynum/Kwame lineup and Lamar stays at the 4, Luc (ha! not Luke, but Luc!) could be the answer for the other forward spot.

This draft is going to be scary good. You have several potential Hall of Famers going at the top, with potential All Stars falling out of the lottery all together.

Not trying to overhype, but some guys in this draft are simply in the "can't miss" catagory.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
vakobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

Yeah, and I've got some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you too!
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Aaron Gray - I am certain why the Lakers would waste a draft pick on a center when they have a young center already with Bynum...plus Kwame and injured Mims. Aaron's point production over the last four years have been steady, but in a weak Big East conference -- he really hasn't pushed himself away from the pack.

Tyler Hansboro - He's a solid offensive skilled player in the mold of a Collison or a Mitch Kupchak. Is he athletic? I am not sure. It is hard to evaluate how good he really is on a super talented North Carolina team.

Fernandez - Have not seen much of him. Is his game like Manu? I doubt it. I would pass.

Spliter - This guy can't make up his mind. Does he want to play in the NBA or not?

Strawberry - The verdict is still out on him. We'll see how he performs in March.

However, I like these players better but not in any particular order;

Fazekas
Alando Tucker
Jason Smith
Cory Brewer - he's the real deal
Bobby Brown from Fullerton
Glen "Big Baby" Davis
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: