Oden vs. Durant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

You take the big.

He'll anchor your team for the next 15 years. Durant will score you lots of points, but without a PG, his O isn't going to be top-notch. Likewise, I fear that he's going to be cajoled into playing PF by some idiot coach.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:

They're both the big & Durant may not need a PG to set him up.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Durant will need a PG. He needs a PG that can get the ball to him in positions to score. It's not a case where you can give him the ball at the top of the key and let him go to work, ala Kobe, Wade, or LeBron.

And he's not a big. He's a SF that hasn't been tested in terms of competition.

He'll be a beast, though. No doubt about that.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

^Ok, just talking about what I'm watching.

Game tied at 61 with 34 sec to go. Some other guy for Texas misses-draws iron so the shot clock resets. Durant ends up with the rock. Dribbles to the top of the key and stops-coach yelling for a TO. Right let's run clock and take the last shot-safe, smart.

Ice. Calmly rises with a guy in his face and drains a 3.

Now remember his coach wants the TO. This is a good kid, maybe he heard his coach maybe not, but he KNOWS it is going in-not like a million other chumps, in the NBA, college, high school, school yard, whatever that know it is going in and it doesn't ( er Smush ).

He KNOWS it is going in and it does.

IMHO he will not need a PG to get that shot and many, many others on the next level.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

In all seriousness, every player needs a PG to make them better.

Though I will tell you guys this. If the Lakers end up in the lottery AND by the most improbable strike of luck, end up getting a top 2 pick, who do you think they'll get?

You know they can't lose with Durant or Oden.

Just funny that Odom and Bynum are already on the roster.

"Here Kareem. We upgraded your student with Greg Oden."

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Though I will tell you guys this. If the Lakers end up in the lottery AND by the most improbable strike of luck, end up getting a top 2 pick, who do you think they'll get?

Are you saying bynum wont be as good as oden
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I'd take Oden over anyone in the NCAA right now. For that matter, I'd take Oden over anyone in the NBA right now.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

The Kobe suspensions and future suspensions are part of Stern's secret evil plan to help big market teams at the expense of small market teams.

Super evil plan 1 got Ewing to NY but the Knicks were too stupid to execute the plan to fruition.

Now its the Lakers turn.

Still operate under the BPA theory and draft Oden.

Figure out how Bynum,Oden,Kwame,Mihm,Odom,Turiaf fit into your plans in the the PF and C rotaions ASAP.

Trade the extra pieces for a veteran Star/Superstar.

With those kind of pieces Isaih Thoms can get a good trade done.

Well, maybe not but the Lakers front offices as a whole could.

I think......

I hope ???

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

^Well, I imagine they'd take a shot at Durant actually.

They'd leave Odom at PF with Bynum at C, while Durant starts at SF.

I think the Lakers can get away with that kind of frontline because of the height and length. Seriously, good luck throwing entry passes to the paint, when Bynum is 7' with 7'6" wingspan, Odom is 6'10" with over 7'+ wingspan, and Durant is 6'10" with a 7'5" wingspan.

What I learned about Durant is that, he's not mindblowingly quick. His strides are just so long and that wingspan really helps him finish easy around the paint.

Just think to yourself now. How many forwards in the game do you know have a 7'5" wingspan?

He can shoot over anyone in the NBA.

That being said, we'd still be a PG away as usual. I'd prefer a tall combo guard at around 6'5" to really deny passing lanes and just stop an offense.

cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

how high do you think brewer can rise in the draft? im thinking he could get up in the 5-6 range if he has a good tournament and even the 4/5 range if oden and/or durant dont declare

also, how does brewer compare to batum?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
how high do you think brewer can rise in the draft? im thinking he could get up in the 5-6 range if he has a good tournament and even the 4/5 range if oden and/or durant dont declare

also, how does brewer compare to batum?

Haven't seen Batum.

Brewer shouldn't skyrocket that high. He's not franchise material, unlike Oden and Durant, potentially, Julian Wright, and Brendan Wright.

League still lacks quality bigmen. There goes Hawes, Horford, Noah, and potentially Roy Hibbert.

Highest is late lottery.

bayoucity
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:

To those of you who say Durant will need a PG to set him up: Have you actually watched UT play? He doesn't need anybody. You give him the ball on the wing OR the baseline and he creates for himself. Oden is the one who must have a PG to get him the ball.

The difference in talent between them is huge and Durant has a lot of room to grow. Today's NBA is more dependent on perimeter play vs. post play. Plus, Durant can post up very well also.

Longtime tradition says you take the bigger player, but the NBA is evolving.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject:

^You know, everyone says that, and yet, I can't help but recall watching the past 9 championships having great bigmen.

Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject:

And to add to your point mike, i think the reason the nba is "evolving" is because of the lack of true franchise big men. If your team is fortunate enough to have one, your teams road to the top is much easier. More and more teams are finding these 6-10 guys who are mostly perimeter oriented, and there is so many now, that they seem to cancell each other out. You're right mike, its no mistake all these championship teams have a great big in the middle. Look as last year, as far more talented as dirk is than shaq, the type of shots shaq gets vs dirk is one of the reasons the heat won. Because dirk relies on his jumper so much, if its not going, its not as easy for him to be productive as it is for shaq who hangs out in the paint and if he has a bad game, his FG% is still around 50. The only reason you would take a potential 6-10 franchise perimeter player over a potential franchise center is in a game of one on one, but this is the nba, at the end of the day, the team with the franchise center will beat the franchise perimeter player, unless your the 90's bulls, and have 2 great perimeter players who also posted up very well.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone watch Brandon Rush D-up Texas today? That was impressive.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:

^ His stock really rose in my eyes. He was fantastic.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

who are you guys looking for in the tournament to really help their draft stocks this year like tyrus thomas and joakim noah last year? i think marcus williams of arizona and thaddeus young of georgia tech could really help themselves out.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^

That being said, we'd still be a PG away as usual. I'd prefer a tall combo guard at around 6'5" to really deny passing lanes and just stop an offense.

DJ STRAWBERRY

Birthday:6/15/1985
NBA Postion:Shooting Guard
Class:Senior
Ht:6-5 Wt:201
College Team:Maryland
Hometown:Corona, CA
High School:Mater Dei

Comparison: Kendall Gill (less athletic)

Strengths: One of the top defenders in college basketball ... Has great instincts off the ball, especially jumping passing lanes ... Is very tough on the ball, with good length and quickness ... Quickly developing a strong mid-range offensive game ... Good ball-handler, a result of playing point guard his junior year ... Can play in the post, especially against smaller players ... NBA ready body ... Can take over offensively at times ... A true team player ... At his best in fast paced games ... Very smart on the break ... Causes a lot of turnovers ... Can make an open three, and won't force poor shots ... Plays intelligent basketball ... Hustles constantly and shows a lot of emotion ... A solid athlete with great body control ...

Weaknesses: Streaky offensively ... Seems to hit hot spots and then fall off of the game at times offensively ... Doesn't look for his shots enough ... Occasionally caught out of position in zone defense, much better in man-to-man ... A gambler at times in the passing lanes ... Not a consistant threat from the perimeter ... Still developing offensive game ... Quick, but not lightning fast and doesn't have amazing athleticism ... Occasionally turnover prone when asked to run offense ... Not capable of running point properly ... Not a great free throw shooter ... Appears to be a small 6-5, could be 6-4 ...

Notes: Strawberry has been known as one of the ACC's toughest perimeter defenders since his freshman year, when he jumped onto the scene with a great performance in Maryland's 2004 ACC Championship off the bench. Was the Terrapins starting point guard for the 2005-06 season.

RODNEY STUCKEY

Birthday:4/21/1986NBA
Postion:PG/SG
Class:Sophomore
Ht:6-4 Wt:205
College Team:Eastern Washington
Hometown:Kent, WA High School:Kentwood

NBA Comparison: Dajuan Wagner

Strengths: Tremendous scorer with excellent body strength … Has the ability to play both guard positions, with solid ball handling and passing ability … Very good at driving to the basket and creating scores … Has a solid mid range game with a good pull up shot off the dribble … Showed the ability to create offense for himself even with opposing defenses keying on him with 2-3 defenders … Solid 3 point shooter at 37%, hitting 55 on the season ... On top of great offensive skills, … he has the ability to lock down opponents defensively Averaged close to 50% FG and 4 APG despite a weak supporting cast …

Weaknesses: A bit of a tweener at 6-3 as he’s better at the 2-guard position, but showed the ability to run the point as a freshman … Dominated lesser competition, so it’s tougher to gauge his abilities as the level of talent in the Big Sky Conference is inferior … Needs to show better focus on the defensive end of the floor at all times, as he is extremely effective when he gives full effort … He is a tremendous 1-1 talent, but prove he has the ability to involve teammates … A solid though not overwhelming level of athlete ... Could struggle to get shots off the same way on the NBA level as he's small and lacks frekish athleticism ...

Notes: Averaged 24.2 ppg as a freshman (9th in the country)... The leading scorer among returning players to NCAA basketball ... Never scored less than 14 pts all season ...

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^

RODNEY STUCKEY

Birthday:4/21/1986NBA
Postion:PG/SG
Class:Sophomore
Ht:6-4 Wt:205
College Team:Eastern Washington
Hometown:Kent, WA High School:Kentwood

NBA Comparison: Dajuan Wagner

Strengths: Tremendous scorer with excellent body strength … Has the ability to play both guard positions, with solid ball handling and passing ability … Very good at driving to the basket and creating scores … Has a solid mid range game with a good pull up shot off the dribble … Showed the ability to create offense for himself even with opposing defenses keying on him with 2-3 defenders … Solid 3 point shooter at 37%, hitting 55 on the season ... On top of great offensive skills, … he has the ability to lock down opponents defensively Averaged close to 50% FG and 4 APG despite a weak supporting cast …

Weaknesses: A bit of a tweener at 6-3 as he’s better at the 2-guard position, but showed the ability to run the point as a freshman … Dominated lesser competition, so it’s tougher to gauge his abilities as the level of talent in the Big Sky Conference is inferior … Needs to show better focus on the defensive end of the floor at all times, as he is extremely effective when he gives full effort … He is a tremendous 1-1 talent, but prove he has the ability to involve teammates … A solid though not overwhelming level of athlete ... Could struggle to get shots off the same way on the NBA level as he's small and lacks frekish athleticism ...

Notes: Averaged 24.2 ppg as a freshman (9th in the country)... The leading scorer among returning players to NCAA basketball ... Never scored less than 14 pts all season ...

sign me up for stuckey. very underrated in my book.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Not a fan of either player.

NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Then who?

If you are going to give me the name of a white european guard then give me the name of a comprable white european guard that has locked down the 1 spot defensively in the NBA.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Did anyone watch Brandon Rush D-up Texas today? That was impressive.

That was beyond amazing. He has all the talent in the world, just has to harness it.

Josh Howard-esque.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject:

bayoucity wrote:
To those of you who say Durant will need a PG to set him up: Have you actually watched UT play? He doesn't need anybody. You give him the ball on the wing OR the baseline and he creates for himself. Oden is the one who must have a PG to get him the ball.

The difference in talent between them is huge and Durant has a lot of room to grow. Today's NBA is more dependent on perimeter play vs. post play. Plus, Durant can post up very well also.

Longtime tradition says you take the bigger player, but the NBA is evolving.

And when the D is geared to stopping him from getting the ball?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Then who?

If you are going to give me the name of a white european guard then give me the name of a comprable white european guard that has locked down the 1 spot defensively in the NBA.

I'm just not a fan of either player because Strawberry has been inconsistent with his maturity as a player in Maryland, and Stuckey has a tendency to lose focus or lack effort defensively. Those are qualities Smush Parker has.

As for a European player being able to lockdown his position?

Pietrus. Diaw used to. Ginobili does to some extent. Thabo Sefalosha is the latest Euro rookie to do so.

jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
NestT wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Then who?

I'm just not a fan of either player because Strawberry has been inconsistent with his maturity as a player in Maryland, and Stuckey has a tendency to lose focus or lack effort defensively. Those are qualities Smush Parker has.

As for a European player being able to lockdown his position?

Pietrus. Diaw used to. Ginobili does to some extent. Thabo Sefalosha is the latest Euro rookie to do so.
Drazen.

For the record, I really like Sefalosha. From the first game I saw him play. I could definitely see how he shot up so quickly the last couple of weeks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: