Fill in the blank: The Lakers would be stupid to draft ___________
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Fill in the blank: The Lakers would be stupid to draft ___________

Ok guys, here is your chance to say who you think is A horrible pick for the lakers because you know they will consider it. Someone here will get it right because the lakers will pick him and you will say "I told you so". Ill go with Rudy Fernandez. I bet the lakers will love his versatility and playmaking skills, but if the lakers want to draft a point guard, they need a defending point guard, but like i said, i bet the lakers will consider him. Let it be known then, who would the lakers be stupid to draft.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject:

aaron gray, rudy fernandez, roy hibbert, josh mcroberts, tyler hansborough, marcus williams, rodney stuckey
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject:

tiago splitter.

not only overrated, but simply does not add anything the lakers need.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:

Nick Fazekas. I'm glad his rep dropped a bit in the NCAA tournament. The man has "Mitch Kupchak draft pick" etched on his forehead.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Nick Fazekas. I'm glad his rep dropped a bit in the NCAA tournament. The man has "Mitch Kupchak draft pick" etched on his forehead.

Thing about him is that the lakers might take him in the second round, which at that point might not be a bad gamble, now if the lakers take him 19th or 20th or where they end up drafting, that would be a big problem.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
aaron gray, rudy fernandez, roy hibbert, josh mcroberts, tyler hansborough, marcus williams, rodney stuckey

why would Hibbert be a bad pick? A 7ft center that can block shots. Sounds like a great back-up to Bynum to me. They would be very luckly to drat Hibbet in the low 20's.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
cusu32000 wrote:

why would Hibbert be a bad pick? A 7ft center that can block shots. Sounds like a great back-up to Bynum to me. They would be very luckly to drat Hibbet in the low 20's.

I agree. Hibbert isn't quick, fast, or really jump high, but at 7'2", great length and a solid foundation of fundamentals on both ends of the floor, he's a hell of a back up C at the very least. He can swat and jumphook. He's well coordinated and surprisingly built for a guy that big. He even has touch inside 12'.

He's no weakling either. Great practice body for Bynum as well.

He's not Priest Lauderdale.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

Mike what do you think of Jared Dudley? I've watched one of his games a few weeks back and seemed to be a pretty good scorer. Do you think we should go after him with one of our second rounders?
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
cusu32000 wrote:

Thing is i dont think the lakers should be looking for backups with their first round pick. They need a guy who can adress an issue for the lakers, and i dont think a backup center is a top priority right now. The lakers could use some serious help at the point or the power forward so lamar doesnt have to guard the big forwards in the west.However the lakers could aslo draft a tall athletic forward so that if lamar was to slow to guard a 3 he could slide to the 4 and the other guy can handle the 3 if necessary.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
Mike what do you think of Jared Dudley? I've watched one of his games a few weeks back and seemed to be a pretty good scorer. Do you think we should go after him with one of our second rounders?

The same thing I think of when it comes to Craig Smith. Too undersized to start, good bench player at best. But, I'd rather have Turiaf play instead. Not quite the scorer, better post defender, shotblocker, fundamental rebounder, more size, passer.

If it's a late 2nd round? Sure.

Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:
Michlake wrote:
cusu32000 wrote:

Thing is i dont think the lakers should be looking for backups with their first round pick. They need a guy who can adress an issue for the lakers, and i dont think a backup center is a top priority right now. The lakers could use some serious help at the point or the power forward so lamar doesnt have to guard the big forwards in the west.However the lakers could aslo draft a tall athletic forward so that if lamar was to slow to guard a 3 he could slide to the 4 and the other guy can handle the 3 if necessary.

I agree with you in theory, but what player can have a major impact when drafted in the low 20's. Hibbert would have a major impact on the defense, even if he only played 15 min a game. He could be our Diop.

It is very hard to find starters/impact players in the low 20's.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:

It is very hard to find starters/impact players in the low 20's.

What was once thought to be the deepest draft, isn't anymore. Not as many kids are declaring as expected. 5 HS kids could've got lottery last summer if the Age 19 rule wasn't implimented. I am talking about Daequan Cook, Thaddeus Young, Brendan Wright, Greg Oden, and Kevin Durant.

Of those 5, Wright looks like the most likely to leave.

Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

Mike-who you do like more B. Wright or Horford?

Wright seems to have the upside, but Horford could be an impact player right away.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

^I don't take into consideration "impact player right away". 4 years of college or not, it's not guaranteed. Freshman and 19 year old Euro kids fly over more NBA ready than college seniors.

B.Wright would defensively be Chris Bosh part II, though I like Bosh more because he had 20' range and better footwork on the block. I can picture Wright just being thrown off the block.

Horford I liken to a combination of Boozer and Brand. Difference? Not as athletic as Brand, but certainly very strong defensively. Just as good. All 3 of them have basic post skills, great bases, and great size.

For the Lakers, especially considering Horford has played on a system revolving on defense, transition, and halfcourt execution so well from Florida, I'll take Horford for the Lakers. Worst case scenario is he's Etan Thomas. Worst case for Wright is he's Tyson Chandler. Far better O. Far worse D.

It's a big deal for Laker bigmen to establish specific positions in the triangle. Brown gets deeper position than Bynum, and the execution is cleaner with the better spacing.

I may change my mind later, but individual workouts would really give me a telling story.

Thing is, I expected Wright to be better. I don't have to question the intensity of Horford. I do with Wright. Wright at the NCAA level is already getting pushed of the block. Horford can go where he wants.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

Michlake, the biggest problem with right now is that its still not clear who will declare and who wont. Ive heard players say they will come back before only to leave, so its hard to say if the lakers will be able to find a promising forward in the draft. Also, the tourney can boost your stock like nick young or drop it like tucker. So its still hard to say if the lakers can find what they need where they draft because of these factors. Also, sometimes teams draft on potential and leave solid players to be drafted in the late teens and below.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

BTW mike, you still havent said who the lakers would be stupid to draft, putting you on the spot mike.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

Marc Gasol, Aaron Gray, Nick Fazekas.

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:

aaron gray
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:

oh my god - gasol - if any team touches him in the first round, they're gonna be kicking themselves for years.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject:

you forgot that Hibbert isn't a bad passer for a guy that big, kinda suprising if you ask me. Although that would leave you rather green inside, it gives you the option of dealing Brown and uprgading the roster. It would be hard for both guys to play together though, and if they strike it rich on both bigs, who's to say they don't deal one some day? If you fill needs, you can afford to take the best player.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
tiago splitter.

not only overrated, but simply does not add anything the lakers need.

Agreed. I'm a brazilian and I think he's overrated, so you can see how bad this cat is...
ProjectAB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I like Hilbert too. He's not just 7', he's 7'2, and unlike the Euros that size, he has wingspan. He has some pretty decent skills, even saw him shot a skyhook. Finally, he's only 20, could be a 15-10 guy if we can motivate him(which in the end is what it comes down to, no draft picks work if they're not willing to work.)
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:

That is 7 dudes projected in the Lakers draft range or higher.

Like others have said I would be very happy with Hibbert.

Hibbert has the added benefit of making Kwame trade bait more palatable.

KG,Jermaine,Randolph and/or Pau may be available.

I would consider McRoberts and Williams depending on what is available

I would consider all of those guys with the bobcat second except Fernandez. He just reminds me too much of Sasha. I would consider Gray especially if the Lakers think Mihm is Grant Hill Part II.

So first round no-nos are Fernandez,Jason Smith,Nick Fazekas,Kyle Visser and Marc Gasol.

The Lakers should not be that desperate for a backup C.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious what people think of McRoberts. He has obviously underachieved this year, but he was once thought of as a sure fire lottery pick and now might be available in the 20's when we pick.

He appears to have the skills you would look for in a high post PF, especially his passing. He's also a good athelete going to the rim, and can block some shots too. The main question marks are his ability to put it all together and his desire to play the game at a high level.

Just wondering what Mike and others think about him given this backdrop. I bring him up here because the original poster listed him as a first round no-no, which I don't necessarily agree with.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I was impressed by Hibbert. He is very nimble for a 7-2 guy although he moves a little awkward. I can see Mutombo with better O.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: